Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i remember the first ever time i played quake 2 my dad had left his cd of fat of the land by prodigy in the drive and i thought quake 2 just had insanely sick music

i dont think ive ever heard the actual quake 2 music to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m so so on the Quake 2 soundtrack but it would feel wrong to play without it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i remember the first ever time i played quake 2 my dad had left his cd of fat of the land by prodigy in the drive and i thought quake 2 just had insanely sick music

i dont think ive ever heard the actual quake 2 music to this day

I was just cringe skimming through AOC's twitter replies re: Israeli apartheid and this post is still the most hosed up thing I've read all night.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

treat posted:

I was just cringe skimming through AOC's twitter replies re: Israeli apartheid and this post is still the most hosed up thing I've read all night.

Wait, did you just diss The Fat of the Land? If this was a couple centuries ago there would have been a glove striking your cheek right now. Rapiers at dawn, good sir! :colbert:

But you should listen to the Quake 2 soundtrack sometime, juggalo baby coffin. It’s also great. When I replayed Q2 a couple years ago priority one was getting the music working, graphics were less important to me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

That's super neat! I didn't see a source for the original image, is that an ancient blueprint or what?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

That's super neat! I didn't see a source for the original image, is that an ancient blueprint or what?

It’s the artist’s school. If you look closely, you’ll also note that extra detail was given to the bathrooms.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

my physical copy of doom 64 for the switch turned up today, i am excited to be able to play doom 64 on the couch or in bed

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
How are the switch ports? And if I’m “new” to the OG Dooms, should I start with the first one and just work through them in order?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The switch ports are great, and go play og doom, yeah, but if you feel like it's a slog go on and skip over to the next one imo. Repeat ad infinitum until you've finished all the wads that are in that package.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
The Switch ports are all phenomenal, and the devs keep adding extra content and maps. They're on sale fairly regularly for <$3, but even the regular price of $5 is worth it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I paid 5€ for Doom and Doom II after they started patching some of the issues and they're worth it on PS4.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

thatfuturekid posted:

How are the switch ports? And if I’m “new” to the OG Dooms, should I start with the first one and just work through them in order?

They’re fantastic and you should start with 1. Get 2 and 64 as well after if you enjoy it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Extremely good retrospective on Trespasser by Kim Justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbmzOs-iJk

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Crossposting from the DOOM WAD CLUB thread, Jimmy (of Doom MIDI and Mapping fame) made a Garth Marenghi's Darkplace map. It's a GZDoom 4.5.0 map, and it's pretty amazing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dieting Hippo posted:

Crossposting from the DOOM WAD CLUB thread, Jimmy (of Doom MIDI and Mapping fame) made a Garth Marenghi's Darkplace map. It's a GZDoom 4.5.0 map, and it's pretty amazing.

"Darkbase" incredible. It's already my favorite thing.

Somebody make a "Garth Marenghi's Techbase" logo.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I just ran across this and don't believe it's been posted yet here, but there's been a small update on the status of the Descent 3 source code, tl;dr is Eric "Wingman" Peterson hosed things up for everyone:
https://www.reddit.com/r/descent/comments/mmn2aq/descent_3_source_code/

quote:

We're stuck in license hell.

I've been in contact with the current custodian of the source. In short (since it may not be my place to say), the Descent Underground game was sold heavily to Interplay as a real money maker, and when it wasn't, Interplay was pissed. Along with another company attempting to trademark the Descent name without the rights to do so, Interplay has been holding the name even closer than usual. They were sold on big $$$, and they won't settle for less now.

A Descent 3 source code release is something they currently won't do without the promise of money behind it.

quote:

I don't know how much money Underground's kickstarter made, but the developers promised a LOT of cash from it. Upwards of 7 figures. Interplay's greed took over from there.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I picked up Descent Underground for £1 i think in one of those trash bundles years back. I think I played about 20 minutes of it before uninstalling and Overload was a far better game overall.

Hope they get to actually finish developing it one day.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Has there even been a crowd funded attempt to straight-up buy source code for an old game?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

david_a posted:

Has there even been a crowd funded attempt to straight-up buy source code for an old game?

Jace Hall tried with Blood a few years before Night Dive managed to sort out doing a port.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

david_a posted:

I can't think of a game, but the source code for Blender was famously purchased for €100,000 to make open source.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Interplay is the rights-holder equivalent of the guy on Craigslist demanding “No low-balls, I know what I’ve got”

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fallom posted:

Interplay is the rights-holder equivalent of the guy on Craigslist demanding “No low-balls, I know what I’ve got”
IIRC Interplay refuses to sell individual properties - they only want to sell all of them as a single unit. Also they advertise them less as being for games and more as properties to develop TV and film off of.

Anyway! In more positive news, AMID EVIL has updated to add ray-tracing, DLSS, Ansel and HDR monitor support.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Kins posted:

IIRC Interplay refuses to sell individual properties - they only want to sell all of them as a single unit. Also they advertise them less as being for games and more as properties to develop TV and film off of.

netflix presents kit harington in duncan jones' "battle chess"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ooooo, def gonna check out how AE looks in HDR.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I guess it's a wip because I had to use launch appends to get it to work, but it looks nice.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Anyway! In more positive news, AMID EVIL has updated to add ray-tracing, DLSS, Ansel and HDR monitor support.

It's also at a historic low on Steam, £7.99 is a hell of a deal for one of the best shooters in years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Amid Evil getting a Switch port still? Haven’t heard anything about it for a long time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, uh, somehow my install of GZdoom reset all my options and deleted my saves. I think it might have happened because I let an update for my doom mod launcher install while I was in the game? Anyway, anyone know where these options and save files are normally saved?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

The Kins posted:

Has anyone recorded HDR video of all these new features? I don't have an HDR monitor or an RTX card but I do have a phone that apparently can show HDR video, so that's probably as close as I'll come any time soon to seeing this stuff in action.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mordja posted:

So, uh, somehow my install of GZdoom reset all my options and deleted my saves. I think it might have happened because I let an update for my doom mod launcher install while I was in the game? Anyway, anyone know where these options and save files are normally saved?

Both saves and a .ini file with your settings should live in the root of the GZDoom folder

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
also, in a little more than a month this thread will be old enough to be talked about in the context of itself according to the loose arbitrary metric once used to qualify a game as old school enough to be posted about in this very same thread. A megathread for talking about old school early FPS megathreads is incoming once I finish coming to terms with my aged mortality, The Early The Early FPS Megathread Megathread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This thread just gets finer with age

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Hard agree there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

treat posted:

also, in a little more than a month this thread will be old enough to be talked about in the context of itself according to the loose arbitrary metric once used to qualify a game as old school enough to be posted about in this very same thread. A megathread for talking about old school early FPS megathreads is incoming once I finish coming to terms with my aged mortality, The Early The Early FPS Megathread Megathread

I started the modding thread for Fallout New Vegas that is going to be 10 or 11 years old. It’s insane.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I started the modding thread for Fallout New Vegas that is going to be 10 or 11 years old. It’s insane.

Gonna be time for 3D Fallout Super Big Remastered Collection soon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I hope so now that MS is in charge.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hey thread! I just heard that Brutal Doom is the best way to play it nowadays! What features do you enjoy the most of it?

:q:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How’s Hideous Destructer? I’m sure it gets old fast but the idea of more “realistic” Doom intrigues me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

treat posted:

Sometimes I think about rebooting this thread because 2000+ pages over a decade might be a little imposing for newcomers, and some people really don't like megathreads. Then I remembered that the C-SPAM megathread dedicated to misspelling the word "trump" racked up four times the pages in like three months and I stop caring. I should probably update the OPs soon.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope so now that MS is in charge.
I think Tim Cain at Obsidian still has the source code to the original 2D games, so I suspect if anything's gonna get an update, it's those, in the name of Game Pass Filler historical preservation.

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s Hideous Destructer? I’m sure it gets old fast but the idea of more “realistic” Doom intrigues me.
It's a very Marmite Doom mod - you'll either love it's utterly unforgiving gameplay obsessively or liken it to penile degloving. If you've got half an hour spare, here's IcarusLiv3s giving it another try after previously bouncing off of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCKHwu_wQAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't sweat it. People just jump in at the latest page, and you do a great job keeping this thread active and fed.

I want Doom RPG on game pass