Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs posted:

It would be interesting if all this characterization and interpersonal drama was at the expense of resolving the Loup situation and thus it turns out they ran the clock out worrying about their own problems. Would be a nice kick in the pants to get these people to realize that things bigger than themselves started to happen while they stood around going "I don't care what others think I'm happy bein' me and you bein' you!" Unfortunately they snatched the items for Loup while also dealing with those relationship-building issues so from a pure narrative point of view I dunno if the comic is headed in that direction with it.

Oh man but thinking about it more, what if this IS actually the direction it's headed and the solution will be time dickery that results in the other Annie being created like cloning the bird, and thus, another stable loop.

edit: Well that'd be very silly and unrealistic but I just want Tom to give into the urge to play 4D chess with the audience already

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
god why does this keep getting worse

why does the comic place such narrative importance on an abused child's desperate desire to idealize her father.

it's kind of verging onto super hosed up territory!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 19, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

A big flaming stink posted:

why does the comic place such narrative importance on an abused child's desperate desire to idealize her father.

"i love my dad even if i hate his behaviour sometimes" - hosed up idealization, from the people who brought you :sever:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

"i love my dad even if i hate his behaviour sometimes" - hosed up idealization, from the people who brought you :sever:

a child who has been abused by her father is not an objective judge of his character hth

unless thats the point youre making

in which case :same:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

a child who has been abused by her father is not an objective judge of his character hth

she doesnt have to be, she still gets to choose what sort of relationship she wants to have with him, and decide for herself how she feels about him

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hodgepodge posted:

she doesnt have to be, she still gets to choose what sort of relationship she wants to have with him, and decide for herself how she feels about him
Well a) just because someone had the right to make a choice doesn't mean they made a healthy one or that onlookers can't be concerned/frustrated
b) she's fictional. She's not making this choice, Tom is. So it's not unreasonable during a "where the gently caress is this going?" discussion to be frustrated at the (on the surface) uncritical acceptance of the common "yeah but he's family" trope.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
how old is annie at this point?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

So what's complicating this whole thing is that half of Annie has actually started to mend the relationship with her father and reconnect. Tony mentions it in a hosed up way because the dude has Brain Problems, but he admits that he actually managed to connect to Forest Annie in a way he couldn't with Court Annie. This wasn't some hosed up attempt at manipulation, it was an actual breakthrough of sorts that the merge has now undone. So she knows he's able to make the kind of bond that they both want, and maybe start to be a real dad. She says "I'll probably never see that side of him again" but I'm not sure that's true.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Splicer posted:

Well a) just because someone had the right to make a choice doesn't mean they made a healthy one or that onlookers can't be concerned/frustrated
b) she's fictional. She's not making this choice, Tom is. So it's not unreasonable during a "where the gently caress is this going?" discussion to be frustrated at the (on the surface) uncritical acceptance of the common "yeah but he's family" trope.

It's not exactly subtle that this is a fictionalized version of Tom's relationship with his father, so he's likely making Annie do this because he's explaining how he felt about his father at her age, as someone who grew up in circumstances which the ones we see are a fanciful reflection of.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

So what's complicating this whole thing is that half of Annie has actually started to mend the relationship with her father and reconnect. Tony mentions it in a hosed up way because the dude has Brain Problems, but he admits that he actually managed to connect to Forest Annie in a way he couldn't with Court Annie. This wasn't some hosed up attempt at manipulation, it was an actual breakthrough of sorts that the merge has now undone. So she knows he's able to make the kind of bond that they both want, and maybe start to be a real dad. She says "I'll probably never see that side of him again" but I'm not sure that's true.

She actually states that she doesn't expect to ever recapture the relationship her dad had with Forest Annie. Which I would hope is unwarranted fatalism on her part.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 19, 2021

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Wait, what was Tom's relationship with his own father again, if we're going down the road of discussing reality subtext bleeding into the comic?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Pachylad posted:

Wait, what was Tom's relationship with his own father again, if we're going down the road of discussing reality subtext bleeding into the comic?

My vauge understanding is that there's at least some autobiographical element there, and it certainly reads that way.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pachylad posted:

They had a rocky relationship that started to improve after he got time cloned by a magical wolf/coyote hybrid named Pierre

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

They had a rocky relationship that started to improve after he got time cloned by a magical wolf/coyote hybrid named Pierre

This is why I hate webcomics, they're always about the most mundane poo poo

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You should read Kill 6 Billion Demons then.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

IUG posted:

You should read Kill 6 Billion Demons then.

another slice-of-life comic? hard pass

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

This monologue has been going on for like two weeks now, and says nothing that hasn't already been shown better previously

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Hodgepodge posted:

My vauge understanding is that there's at least some autobiographical element there, and it certainly reads that way.

Where has Tom ever said this?

Nova69 posted:

This monologue has been going on for like two weeks now, and says nothing that hasn't already been shown better previously

This is where I'm at.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It has shown Annie is in a healthier place with acknowledging her dad's flaws without feeling like that means she's not allowed to love him.

But yeah, it's been drawn out a bit much for that alone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nova69 posted:

Each page of these monologues isn't saying anything different from each other. The only thing different in these few pages is that Annie and Jones have finally gone on the house today.

EDIT: I'm only being so harsh on this chapter because I do like this story. But Tom's breaking one of his rules he brought up in one of his retrospective videos. "Does this advance the story?"

IUG fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 19, 2021

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Tenebrais posted:

It has shown Annie is in a healthier place with acknowledging her dad's flaws without feeling like that means she's not allowed to love him.

But yeah, it's been drawn out a bit much for that alone.
"Jones is old" crowd checking in.

IUG posted:

But Tom's breaking one of his rules he brought up in one of his retrospective videos. "Does this advance the story?"
Maybe. I think it's premature to say that, though. Annie's understanding may very well lead into something else. Sometimes the author needs to tell us one story to tell another. The characters' relationships with each other are where the tension is in GC. Any tension in the adventures are projected there by us readers.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 19, 2021

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Comic feels stuck in a hamster wheel.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i still want to know how the court's gonna gently caress up the water deal. cause you just KNOW they're gonna gently caress it up.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bell_ posted:

"Jones is old" crowd checking in.

Maybe. I think it's premature to say that, though. Annie's understanding may very well lead into something else. Sometimes the author needs to tell us one story to tell another. The characters' relationships with each other are where the tension is in GC. Any tension in the adventures are projected there by us readers.

I don't want to come across as joining in a pile on because, yeah, I've enjoyed this comic a lot and for a long time, but this is how I was feeling like 4? Chapters ago, that I'd wait and see where it was going and if it was building to something since I know that the glacial webcomic release can exacerbate frustrations, but I'm still waiting. I'm hoping it picks up soon though, I have faith that Tom can still write some good stuff and I'll look back on this as a slump.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tenebrais posted:

Isn't "loving her dad despite him being poo poo and rationalizing reasons why it's okay and gently caress everyone else" basically the stance she's had the whole time? Her reasons and understanding have gotten better, and she's handling that belief in a better way instead of directing negative energy at herself, but it doesn't feel like her actual relationship and opinions have shifted much, just the way she is handling. The opinions of others (aside from him!) in regards to this issue have never meant anything to her, and we know they don't, so why did we spend so much time focusing on them just to have her dismiss them again? She has never ever cared about what she's "allowed" to do.

It's weird.

Bell_ posted:

This is exactly where its falling flat and failing to advance things though, and feels like it has been for a while. The majority of this has been retreads of what we already know and things that haven't changed. And it's been presented in an a weird nonsensical way. I guess the only knew information is that pretty much everyone in her life is an rear end in a top hat that doesn't care about what is happening to Annie as much as they do sharing negative opinions about her dad, since asking them about the first thing consistently leads to rants about the second? But even that is a retread, we've already known for the longest time that no one except for Kate cares about Annie, not really, not as a person, and not in any kind of meaningful way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nova69 posted:

I'm honestly wondering if Jones is going to call Annie out on monologuing like this. Of the past 6 pages, Jones said words in 3 panels confirming that she'd been inquiring about Annie's mental state. Annie brought this all back to dad. This whole thing has been Annie soapboxing apropos nothing.

I'm still firmly on the "something's fishy" train.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this poo poo sucks because I wanted to learn more about the two Annies (which I liked having) having been turned into one, and instead I'm having to read more about Tony

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this poo poo sucks because I wanted to learn more about the two Annies (which I liked having) having been turned into one, and instead I'm having to read more about Tony
Oh you wanted to hear more about two Annies.

Whoops!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Warmachine posted:

I'm honestly wondering if Jones is going to call Annie out on monologuing like this. Of the past 6 pages, Jones said words in 3 panels confirming that she'd been inquiring about Annie's mental state. Annie brought this all back to dad. This whole thing has been Annie soapboxing apropos nothing.

There is nothing fishy going on. There is no other shoe waiting to drop. The narrative is clearly framing her fusion as an unambiguous mental state good which is now allowing her to act as a mouthpiece for the author to directly tell you how you should feel about things/what the intended moral takeaway is.

Unfortunately the moral here is “poo poo we’ve already heard repeatedly”.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Not just Annie. Everyone Jones talked to and every time out of nowhere.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, the overwhelming "sense" I am getting from this is that something is really hosed up and eery about how everyone is avoiding the topic of actual conversation, but I also feel like that isn't the sense I'm supposed to be getting.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't "loving her dad despite him being poo poo and rationalizing reasons why it's okay and gently caress everyone else" basically the stance she's had the whole time? Her reasons and understanding have gotten better, and she's handling that belief in a better way instead of directing negative energy at herself, but it doesn't feel like her actual relationship and opinions have shifted much, just the way she is handling. The opinions of others (aside from him!) in regards to this issue have never meant anything to her, and we know they don't, so why did we spend so much time focusing on them just to have her dismiss them again? She has never ever cared about what she's "allowed" to do.

It's weird.

I don't think that's entirely true. Annie was not allowing herself to be angry at her dad, and was instead living that anger vicariously through the other characters. That's one reason why I think she flipped out when Kat started accepting Tony. Annie very much cared what other people thought because it allowed her to avoid her real feelings.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Hey, maybe you or another poster can help me out here, but what abuse exactly has Tony heaped upon Antimony? Can you link to the page, or even just what chapter it was in? I've read through the last few chapters about 3 times and I still can't find any. Help a guy out here?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

life_source posted:

Hey, maybe you or another poster can help me out here, but what abuse exactly has Tony heaped upon Antimony? Can you link to the page, or even just what chapter it was in? I've read through the last few chapters about 3 times and I still can't find any. Help a guy out here?

the page where he basically declares that he thinks taking her makeup away was actually worse than almost killing her by accident.

e: neglect also constitutes abuse.

e2: it's cool and all that you want to infantilize every single mentally ill person, and wave away their inappropriate behaviour with "but his brain no work!!" but it's really tiring. he's even extremely high functioning, but has taken absolutely zero steps towards improving his situation.

Niavmai fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 19, 2021

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
That is not at all how I read that page, but alright, being in grief mode and hating how someone looks constitutes abuse.

I'm not sure what neglect you are talking about here. Are you refering too the two-three years of time when Tony was deep in grief-mode and knew he wouldn't be able to provide for his daughter so he sent her to a boarding school that he has intimite familiarity with the quality of child care of not to mention the two close family friends and some other guy who are teachers and also ensured that everything would be provided for her?

I'm trying to not sound like an rear end in a top hat or troll here and failing miserably because it's becoming obvious I don't understand what abuse is.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

life_source posted:

That is not at all how I read that page, but alright, being in grief mode and hating how someone looks constitutes abuse.

I'm not sure what neglect you are talking about here. Are you refering too the two-three years of time when Tony was deep in grief-mode and knew he wouldn't be able to provide for his daughter so he sent her to a boarding school that he has intimite familiarity with the quality of child care of not to mention the two close family friends and some other guy who are teachers and also ensured that everything would be provided for her?

I'm trying to not sound like an rear end in a top hat or troll here and failing miserably because it's becoming obvious I don't understand what abuse is.

it's good that he arranged for her care, but what about the years between surma's death, and dumping her alone at the court? did he re-enter grief mode all those years later? or was he just waiting to get rid of her as soon as he possibly could? either way, he dodged his responsibility as a parent so that he could pursue other things. when you are a parent, your children HAVE to come 100% first, no exceptions. it's okay to continue your own work on the side, but you made the choice to have them. especially in this case where you made the choice to have them, knowing the outcome, and then refused to accept said outcome. his grief outweighing his parental responsbilities is completely on his shoulders, mental illness or not.

life_source posted:

hating how someone looks constitutes abuse.

he forced her to remove her makeup, calling it ridiculous, and humiliating her in front of her class. on the surface it might just be lovely parenting, but knowing their history together, and that it was literally their very first interaction after years of absence, makes it abuse. he may not have intended it to be such, but it is.

Niavmai fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 19, 2021

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Do you really think that "How could I do that to my own daughter?" refers to unmentioned makeup and not to the nearly killing her and agreeing to manipulate her that he was discussing for the entire chapter prior?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Dienes posted:

Do you really think that "How could I do that to my own daughter?" refers to unmentioned makeup and not to the nearly killing her and agreeing to manipulate her that he was discussing for the entire chapter prior?

unmentioned?? he's talking about it in the previous sentence before making the declaration!

life_source
May 11, 2008

Niavmai posted:

when you are a parent, your children HAVE to come 100% first, no exceptions.

Even when you are incapable of being a suitable parent? Anthony is a bad dad, and it's been my understanding that he knows he's a bad dad in a multitude of ways and left her in someone elses care because it was better for her than having him being a bad dad.

Neglect? Yes. Abuse? I'm not fully convinced yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, I wonder how all this would feel if, somewhere soon after this page, we'd got a brief scene of Tony (possibly with Kat or Donny) having exactly the same reaction as Annie about finally being able to give her a compliment.

Because from what we've seen and been told of how he works it looks like that is how he would have felt about it. Showing it off as a bit of progress for their relationship, rather than just implying that Annie was desperately reading into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

life_source posted:

Even when you are incapable of being a suitable parent?

maybe should have thought of that before killing his own wife, eh? :angel: