Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Please give me Fully Automated Luxury Gay Earth Communism Reconstruction Mr ET sir, my family is dying

If you can't earn it yourself, you'll just ruin space for the responsible species. No, we'll just have to wait 100M years for the next sapient species and see if they don't have psycho ape brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hatebag posted:

If you can't earn it yourself, you'll just ruin space for the responsible species. No, we'll just have to wait 100M years for the next sapient species and see if they don't have psycho ape brains

they're not wrong
but they are assholes

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What if...what if we're the assholes??

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they're not wrong
but they are assholes

Theories about aliens manipulating human evolution are always funny because look what human evolution and civilization have produced lol. We've caused our own extinction event! If someone made us, they're a real bunch of fuckups!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Just wait until the Beserkers get here, we'll be sorry

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jetto Jagga posted:

It's okay, I've played a lot of xcom
I know how to handle this

step 1 is everyone let me dress you and give you backstories
this is going to take a few days so bear with me

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hatebag posted:

Theories about aliens manipulating human evolution are always funny because look what human evolution and civilization have produced lol. We've caused our own extinction event! If someone made us, they're a real bunch of fuckups!

what if we're just on a giant petri dish. the UFOs are grad students checking in on the experiment. they've got 50 other earths around the galaxy they are running the same test on.

the experiment probably didn't even purposely involve us, they are trying to figure out why animals keep evolving into crabs.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jetto Jagga posted:

Hopefully we'll have laser shotguns by then

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

what if we're just on a giant petri dish. the UFOs are grad students checking in on the experiment. they've got 50 other earths around the galaxy they are running the same test on.

the experiment probably didn't even purposely involve us, they are trying to figure out why animals keep evolving into crabs.

That's true, or they could've been trying to make crazy ape planet because they thought it would be funny. I kind of think it's funny

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

Being a cosmic experiment would explain all the observation without intervention and vicious probing

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Hatebag posted:

i'm pretty sure there cant be anybody after us because of just how hard we've strip mined the planet lol

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I mean gently caress I didn't even get a vicious probing, that would at least make some progress towards making this all worth it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i'm pretty sure there cant be anybody after us because of just how hard we've strip mined the planet lol

Most of the minerals are still here. Some vanadium, uranium/plutonium shot out into space. 100M years is enough time for a new regime of life to take over though.
Really though the Cretaceous extinction event was only 66M years ago and that killed 75% of life on the planet. Climate change probably won't even kill all humans. The population will get devastated but some will be able to adapt to the new environment and probably ruin it again within 100k years lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hatebag posted:

Most of the minerals are still here. Some vanadium, uranium/plutonium shot out into space. 100M years is enough time for a new regime of life to take over though.
Really though the Cretaceous extinction event was only 66M years ago and that killed 75% of life on the planet. Climate change probably won't even kill all humans. The population will get devastated but some will be able to adapt to the new environment and probably ruin it again within 100k years lol

Good odds it doesn't even go all road warrior

I'd wager on a Children of Men scenario but it's a deliberate effort by world governments to sterilize large portions of the population

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the aliens are really concerned about humans nuking everything or boiling the oceans, ruining their 10 million year longitudinal study on eusocial invertebrates.

contacting indigenous political leaders can be messy though, and no one on this project is actually certified to do legitimate first contact with us. so off the books they are abducting random people and visiting school kids to tell us to try to stop the environmental destruction. eventually they hope the message will get through.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Ps the minuscule percentage of cattle "mutilations" that are actually real are definitely psyops to keep the UFO conspiracy matrix going.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jetto Jagga posted:

Ps the minuscule percentage of cattle "mutilations" that are actually real are definitely psyops to keep the UFO conspiracy matrix going.

That's just what the aliens want you to think.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

That's just what the aliens want you to think.

Richard Doty specifically met with the leading cattle mutilation reporter, Linda Howe, in the early 80s to "inform" her it was aliens. She bought it because she's a hack impressed by govt spooks flashing their access.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the most conspicuous thing about this UFO stuff is that so many of these sitings are through sensory equipment. There's a very simple explanation for "why are military people constantly seeing weird things on their equipment while normal people rarely see these things with their actual eyes" - there's just some issue with the equipment.

Like they'll see some dot acting weirdly and decide that "this must be an object traveling a zillion miles per hour and instantly making abrupt turns" is more reasonable than "this is a dot appearing on my screen because of some sort of glitch."

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I think the most conspicuous thing about this UFO stuff is that so many of these sitings are through sensory equipment. There's a very simple explanation for "why are military people constantly seeing weird things on their equipment while normal people rarely see these things with their actual eyes" - there's just some issue with the equipment.

Like they'll see some dot acting weirdly and decide that "this must be an object traveling a zillion miles per hour and instantly making abrupt turns" is more reasonable than "this is a dot appearing on my screen because of some sort of glitch."

People are seeing them with their naked eyes though. The videos released are flir cams showing infrared video of coherent objects moving around but the pilots have gotten visual confirmation as well.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hatebag posted:

On a long enough time scale and depending on the location, the Earth's crust is recycled through subduction zones and divergent plate boundaries, like a few hundred million years.

Sucks for anyone after us that all the sweet, sweet coal from the Carboniferous will be permanently tapped out. Maybe if they're lucky oil is abiotic after all lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Will plastic turn back into oil like goop on these time spans? (After putting microplastic into every living thing ofc)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

OK baizuo posted:

On a long enough time scale and depending on the location, the Earth's crust is recycled through subduction zones and divergent plate boundaries, like a few hundred million years.

Sucks for anyone after us that all the sweet, sweet coal from the Carboniferous will be permanently tapped out. Maybe if they're lucky oil is abiotic after all lol

Well luckily we're getting the atmosphere up to carboniferous co2 levels and causing a mass extinction, so some later species can run their death machines on our corpses

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hatebag posted:

Well luckily we're getting the atmosphere up to carboniferous co2 levels and causing a mass extinction, so some later species can run their death machines on our corpses

Maybe if we extinct ourselves so hard that we take fungi with us

Also after googling it plastics just break down into even smaller and smaller pieces, apparently there is such a thing as nanoplastics. very cool and good

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/seanilling/status/1394833996287152128

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I guess I also sincerely do want to believe.
Its weird. I grew up a Scully but as I age I am more and more a Mulder, so desperate for there to be any hint of something bigger than this parade of nothing to reach out to

Scully's job was to be a useful idiot who keeps Mulder from getting too close to the truth.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

The funniest option for the UFO videos coming out is that the religious military officials who thought UFOs were demons have all retired.

The funniest option is that those guys are exist and hold power over anything.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Any other notable sightings like the Zimbabwe one that have a lot of corroborating evidence?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"Unidentified aircraft are tools of the devil" - Person who drops bombs on hospitals for a living

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Killjoy posted:

oh trust me navy's already got the aircraft angle covered, they're just not showoffs like the Air Force

the only surviving one of these is in an aviation museum here and it's pretty funny. it's a giant flying pancake

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
bluh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LafxI_SOrCk

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The more of these news reports that I see, the more that I am buying the take that this whole media push is just trying to get more space force funding lmao
yeah, probably that. i also think i said it before, but the military (also the navy) is short on a lot of programmers and other assorted computer touchers, and the u.s. military in particular loves technological solutions to military problems. so how do you convince some kid who likes star trek and touching computers to join the military? they could get a job working for a company and it's way better. so part of this is about creating a mission and a purpose around uncovering the UFO mysteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXtkq07oUaM

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zisky posted:

"Sure look like Chinese drones to me!" says guy on a car blog site.
i agree with the car blog guy

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

why would they frame them as aliens rather than just chinese/russian superweapons if their goal was simply funding?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CODChimera posted:

why would they frame them as aliens rather than just chinese/russian superweapons if their goal was simply funding?

To get the general public interested

It would be cool if it's other countries frankly; that would mean someone on Earth can make these and we might get to have star trek

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not a propaganda strategist but it seems like "look at this incredible space poo poo we have no idea how to make" seems like better advertising for the people who made the amazing space poo poo than our podunk highest funded military in the world that still runs windows XP all over the place

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The US DoD was having trouble securing funding and so concocted a cunning plan

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

To get the general public interested

It would be cool if it's other countries frankly; that would mean someone on Earth can make these and we might get to have star trek

the general public is probably more interested in china than aliens

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Thinking about it, ufos being from some undersea intelligent civilization is maybe more likely than them being from another world. Plus they're typically associated with bodies of water.
They could have millions of years of a headstart on us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

personally i believe the greentext i saw on 4chan about how they're colonizing our oceans