Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Fame Douglas posted:

When to mine 'em, when to line 'em (up)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fame Douglas posted:

Know when to 'get hacked'

Know when to run

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

spunkshui posted:

Can’t be that well researched because the numbers are going down.

¡¡Ԁ∩ Ԁn dn oƃ ʎluo ɹǝqɯnu ʇɔǝɹɹoɔuᴉ ʎlʇsǝɟᴉuɐɯ ǝɹɐ noʎ ɹǝs ǝɯ ǝsnɔxǝ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
know when to blame a bug
know when to pull the rug

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is it time to buy?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'm not an expert on BitCoin and I don't think about it very often. But one time ages and ages ago I was arguing with someone on Facebook about it and I pointed out that you have to download a huge file every time which means that "it has a scaling problem" which prevents it from ever being anything other than a proof of concept. He told me that BitCoin doesn't have a scaling problem and I should "google nodes" and this would explain everything. I didn't.

Was I right or did he have a point?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

poverty goat posted:

Is it time to buy?

Yeah there's a lot of bits cons on aliexpress. From the aliexpress thread:

They've also got sexy beauty coins and trump 2021-2025 second term coins for... reasons.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Prurient Squid posted:

I'm not an expert on BitCoin and I don't think about it very often. But one time ages and ages ago I was arguing with someone on Facebook about it and I pointed out that you have to download a huge file every time which means that "it has a scaling problem" which prevents it from ever being anything other than a proof of concept. He told me that BitCoin doesn't have a scaling problem and I should "google nodes" and this would explain everything. I didn't.

Was I right or did he have a point?

the huge file isn't really related to scaling since a group of miners can share the same file so you just need to keep it somewhere centralized

the problems are transaction delays, fees and limits to 7 (4 in practice) transactions per second, there's no solution to this other than to do everything off-chain in the unregulated exchanges and treat the actual blockchain like rai stones

except you have to keep paying the miners tens of millions in electricity per day to keep the rai stones from disintegrating

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

How long until they start warming up the Tether Printer?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Nicehash (a leading mining tool) has disabled ALL withdrawals from their platform over "security concerns" lmao.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

Is it time to buy?

Redditor: "Yes, akshually. If you look at my technical analysis the second axis is in retrograde, which is a very bullish sign :shucks:"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Below $38K! :bravo:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Good write up on Tether here.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

lmao literally below 36k now

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

BigBadSteve posted:

If it drops another $9k, bitcoin will be negative YTD.

Ooh, 24 hour low is now $34,968.05. Just $6k away from negative YTD...

EDIT:

Bitcoin Drop Below $40K Triggers $3B in Liquidations, Heads for Worst Month in 3 Years

quote:

Bitcoin tumbled for a fifth-straight day, extending the largest cryptocurrency’s losses so far in May to 34%, the most for a single month since November 2018.

The full-blown retreat shook out bullish leverage from the cryptocurrency derivatives market, leading to more than $3 billion in position liquidations due to margin calls.

At press time, the bitcoin (BTC, -20.39%) price was changing hands around $38,710, the lowest since Feb. 7 – just before tweets by Tesla CEO Elon Musk sent the cryptocurrency’s price skyrocketing. Prices hit a record high near $65,000 in April, and recent tweets by Musk that he had concerns over the environmental impact of bitcoin mining appear to have contributed to this month’s sell-off.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 19, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
33k, let's ride this into the core of the earth!

Though I like that ETH has lost almost half its value.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
These are clearly good and stable currencies

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
the store of value is leaking???

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Uh Oh...

The Coinbase home page right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol so this is way past buy the dip territory but at the very least the dog meme coins are getting wasted. Down 55% in the last day. 30% in the last hour.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the great shitcoin purge of 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's OK guys the cat is bouncing! To the moon!

muhahaha

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Decent facts, needs editing.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Can't wait to see what happens to microstrategy at the open. It's only down 13% premarket

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It'S jUsT a BuBbLe.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Did Tesla dump all their bitcoins they collected from people who were using them for deposits during the brief time that was allowed?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i can't imagine they did this after elon deliberately trashed the price

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
No matter what happens I know that I will be way cooler and have a way bigger racecar bed than any of you. Looks like we've all got something to look forward to

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So I buy in on the dip?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I keep tabs on the crypto markets, with the hope of buying in some and getting out early when the market turns bullish again and holy poo poo. I predicted a big crash sometime around now but my friend who also follows it actually did invest in eth so I can’t bask in my own correctness to the one other person I know who even vaguely cares. Annoying. Anyway, here to watch the plunge and laugh at all the people who have genuine faith in crypto as an idea.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

InternetJunky posted:

Did Tesla dump all their bitcoins they collected from people who were using them for deposits during the brief time that was allowed?
It's something you could figure out with chain analysis but... :effort:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

i'm so confused, i was told this currency was decentralized but apparently it's centalized around billionaire shitposters?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Tenzarin posted:

So I buy in on the dip?

get your diamond hands ready to catch the falling knife

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Jump, Bitcoin, jump! I will catch you!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

on black tuesday people jumped out of windows, this time they'll log out of windows

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

on black tuesday people jumped out of windows, this time they'll log out of windows

It's not a correction until the bitcoin subreddit puts up their suicide hotline sticky

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Paladinus posted:

Jump, Bitcoin, jump! I will catch you!
u throw me the dollars, i throw you the tether! no time 2 argue!!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

InternetJunky posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1394170030741413888
diamond hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
where oh where is seraph in a time of need like this

edit: lol tesla down 5% so far, i guess that's not exactly unusual but it'd be funny to see it's value plummet along with btc

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 19, 2021