Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Also, I was level 12 (on classic mode) before I even became a Specter. Did they jack up the progression or was I just more thorough with the side quests this time around because I swear I had nowhere near as many points last time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Bongo Bill posted:

More of a Babylon 5, isn't it?

Mass Effect was definitely heavily inspired by it, if only they were inspired by the ending as well... :(

I'm still a bit miffed they didn't go with the original plan for ME3's ending because the script was leaked.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Finished my first ME1 playthrough, took my time exploring and such. Debating if I want to do a Renegade male Adept to go with my Paragon female soldier in ME1 first or go on to ME2. You definitely can only get to legendary level 29 in a single playthrough, I went crazy completionist and wasn't even close to 30. Definitely a great improvement overall, at least once they fix a few of the bugs like the vanishing Spectre weapons and random minimizing stuff (or modders take care of them). Seems like some of the flags are screwed up; I did the Paragon rescue hostages mission and it acted like I slaughtered them all despite getting the no fatalities ending up to the congratulations from Hackett, and it acted like I had the Akuze background in the Corporal Toombs quest despite being War Hero. Also word of warning; for some reason they stuck two thresher maws on the planet Nonuel (where you normally do the Renegade negotiation mission) right at the edge of the map, so when you're running around frantically it's drat easy to go too far and get sent back to the beginning of the map interrupting the fights (but leaving the damage). Fortunately for my blood pressure, when I went back to the Normandy for a free repair then re-landed, the thresher maw seemed to keep the damage I'd landed on it.

Gear-wise the loot drops like crazy once you get 1-2 worlds in; my earlier concern about income being reduced was WAY wrong, kept hitting the max cred amount too easily by the end of the game. Blew my mind that I managed to assemble a full set of Colossus armor for most of my people (well, Ashley had to make due with Predator H X armor since I didn't use her much, and Kaiden didn't get anything special since I would have been horrified to leave Colossus armor to get fried by a nuke ;)), though Sheppard and Garrus only had class IX (while like 5 class X heavy krogan Colossus suits showed up for me, guess I know what character the RNG loved that game). Forgot how awesome the black and red it looks, especially with Spectre weapons on the back:

Spectre X weapons were after the 4th mission for me, I was seeing tons of level X weapons (legendary makes farming higher level gear much easier thanks to how fast you make it to the 20s) but no Spectre X weapons until that point.

Graphics-wise be sure to look at the sky in Onteram (think that was the planet, might have been Nodacrux?), amazing lightning effects.

One question if I go into ME2; they used to start you with more money if you had the Rich achievement (like 10,000 creds I think) in ME1; do they still do that despite no achievement or is every Sheppard poor now? That'd be more obnoxious than the no way to get max level in ME1 thing really, it's easy to get enough experience in the second game but cash is much more of a headache especially early on.

MadDogMike fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 19, 2021

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Chocobo posted:

Also, I was level 12 (on classic mode) before I even became a Specter. Did they jack up the progression or was I just more thorough with the side quests this time around because I swear I had nowhere near as many points last time around.

They did jack it up. Unless you fiddle with the options to get that "classic experience" of needing to play through three times to reach 60, the default is 30 levels with as many skill points as 60.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

MadDogMike posted:

Graphics-wise be sure to look at the sky in Onteram

Speaking of, that planet name HAS to be a Baldur's Gate reference, right ? Or is it just me instantly bad-anagramming it to Montaron ?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think I may have been putting off Virmire out of indecision for too long, I'm level 28, have two side missions left, and have maxxed out the amount of money I can carry :shepface:

I realise I'm not even a third of the way through a normal playthrough, but I kind of want to try a run as the worst, most incompetant Shepard and just constantly gently caress everything up. Missing Garrus, leaving Liara until after Virmire, killing everyone possible when a peaceful option is available, and so on.

The two big problems I can see are talking down Wrex in 1 and the Suicide Mission in 2. Can Wrex still die if you don't have Garrus and Liara, or is that absolutely forced on you? And who would the two worst possible survivors of the Suicide Mission be (or at least the two smallest mid-mission fuckups to avoid to save two)?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Icedude posted:

I think I may have been putting off Virmire out of indecision for too long, I'm level 28, have two side missions left, and have maxxed out the amount of money I can carry :shepface:

I realise I'm not even a third of the way through a normal playthrough, but I kind of want to try a run as the worst, most incompetant Shepard and just constantly gently caress everything up. Missing Garrus, leaving Liara until after Virmire, killing everyone possible when a peaceful option is available, and so on.

The two big problems I can see are talking down Wrex in 1 and the Suicide Mission in 2. Can Wrex still die if you don't have Garrus and Liara, or is that absolutely forced on you? And who would the two worst possible survivors of the Suicide Mission be (or at least the two smallest mid-mission fuckups to avoid to save two)?

Wrex will be forced to back down if you don't have Garrus and Liara, as otherwise you'd end up only having Tali as a squad member between planting the bomb and choosing between Ash and Kaiden and the game won't allow that.

In terms of impact, Kasumi and Zaeed would probably the the 'worst' survivors of the suicide mission, just because they don't do much in ME3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wrex will automatically back down on Virmire if neither Garrus or Liara are recruited by that point.

The two worst ME2 survivors are a matter of personal taste, but Morinth (reaperized offscreen) and Zaeed are probably up there.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Wrex will automatically back down on Virmire if neither Garrus or Liara are recruited by that point.

The two worst ME2 survivors are a matter of personal taste, but Morinth (reaperized offscreen) and Zaeed are probably up there.

Good call on Morinth (I forgot she's even an option) but Zaeed's a tricky one. For one thing he was DLC and therefore optional, so picking him up after the Suicide Mission seems like a better choice for Failson Shepard, and also if you have two other squadmates and do his loyalty mission after the Suicide Mission you can drop an I-beam on him and leave him to die, which seems like the appropriate worst possible choice.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I want my Shepard to be a hero that saves all of his crew who are also his best friends.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The problem with killing off Zaeed in ME2 is that if you don't have him, it's difficult to survive the Suicide Mission altogether in a fail run since you need at least two squadmates alive and he's guaranteed to hold the line even if non-loyal. And then you have the chance to kill him off again in ME3.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I want my Shepard to be a hero that saves all of his crew who are also his best friends.

Me too, except she is a huge jerk to anyone she isn't friends with, but never a racist. She also was nasty to Ashley because she's a racist and now Ashley is dead.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Me too, except she is a huge jerk to anyone she isn't friends with, but never a racist. She also was nasty to Ashley because she's a racist and now Ashley is dead.

Hello, me, except my Shepard is nice to people who are reasonable. My Ashley never took part in a single mission on a location other than the Citadel, and now she's stone cold dead

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is Ashley really racist or is that just a meme? She asked me whether it was ok to have foreign aliens on an Earth military ship exactly once and I told her to stfu and it was never brought up again. She has actually defended aliens several times since I always take her on missions.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Playing this again and being older I never realised how much Ashley loving sucks. I normally do Feros first but this time I started with Therum. I talked to Liara once and Ashley immediately accused me of hitting on her before doing a racism. God she's getting nuked so loving hard on Virmire.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is Ashley really racist or is that just a meme? She asked me whether it was ok to have foreign aliens on an Earth military ship exactly once and I told her to stfu and it was never brought up again. She has actually defended aliens several times since I always take her on missions.

It's kinda played out, especially since you can get her to back down on it pretty much immediately and Shepard is capable of saying and doing much, much worse.

The human characters have so few interesting qualities about them that it's the only thing people tend to remember, besides Kaiden's sweaty forehead.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Quote-Unquote posted:

Whereas my Shep is the complete opposite. Making a point to let her prawn best friend and her octopus-face girlfriend know that they're some of the good ones, every chance she gets. So long as they're not uppity or voicing opinions they shouldn't be worrying their pretty little heads about respectively, obviously. And always civil to even the worst human, because us Real Spacers have to stick together, amirite ?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

A true Renegade playthrough is hilarious because the Renegade character is written so unbelievably stupidly. You'd think Renegade Shep would be some brilliant but cold, calculating clinical psychopath tactician, never showing his hand but always having an ulterior motive or something like that, but it's not that at all. Instead, Renegade Shep, at least the male version, is written like a middle school bully who is always as mean and belligerent as possible 100% of the time, no matter what, even when it actively hurts him. And it's really excellent to watch "Commander Shepard: Space rear end in a top hat" play out like that on camera.

Renegade like almost all 'evil' options in games is just playing the game intentionally wrong with a wink and support from the developers.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I read that the ME1 weapon talents unlock after beating the game. Does anyone know if you still need to get a certain amount of kills with each weapon, or do they simply all open up after the first playthrough?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think I got all of them and I only used the sniper rifle like three times and never used the AR.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ashley is weird in that she is rather xenophobic in 1, gets better about it in 2, but then 3 pretty much validated everything she ever said and goes back to being xenophobic again

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Veotax posted:

I think I got all of them and I only used the sniper rifle like three times and never used the AR.
Great, thanks! I wanted to unlock as much as possible in the first playthrough, and was thinking way too much about how often I used each gun.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ashley also has some of the issues Renegade Shepard has where sometimes it’s wanting to make sure Humans work for themselves first, thinking the other alien species will do the same and Humanity shouldn’t be all give and no take, and sometimes it’s “I can’t tell the aliens from the animals!”

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Renegade Shepard has nothing on Scheming rear end in a top hat Thorton. Alpha Protocol is the only RPG I've played where you can steal the master plan from the final boss.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
My semi renegade femshep has empathy for her squad and the soldiers in it, has zero interest in being particularly charming because it's a waste of loving time, is not a racist, and will beat the gently caress out of anyone that refuses to take responsibility for the bad poo poo they've done or is a racist or is just a classist scumbag/status quo lover. She will very much make needs of the many choices with what info SHE knows at the time, regardless of whether ~I~ know that the paragon option can ultimately save everyone at the last minute or whatever.

Edit: oh and she generally hates politicians and bureaucrats, unless they're actually making changes or actually give a poo poo and aren't just paying lip service.

She also will only execute a motherfucker if they've caused deaths, property damage means nothing to her, it's just stuff. War criminal horrid monster types get shot in the face because the aforementioned bureaucrats can't be trusted to actually care about justice.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 19, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

One question if I go into ME2; they used to start you with more money if you had the Rich achievement (like 10,000 creds I think) in ME1; do they still do that despite no achievement or is every Sheppard poor now? That'd be more obnoxious than the no way to get max level in ME1 thing really, it's easy to get enough experience in the second game but cash is much more of a headache especially early on.

I started ME2 last night and it looks like they just give you roughly 10% of your ME1 credits.

I ended ME1 with 9,999,999 credits. :haw:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
My Renegade Shepard would kill their own mother and cut the nose off their own face without hesitation, so long as there is a “bottom of the chat circle” dialog option to click on.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ME2 seems like an improvement in a lot of ways but I wish missions had a map you could call up! Especially since it seems like there’s way more important missable stuff now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
some of the ME2's streamlining went a little too far

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Cross-Section posted:

I started ME2 last night and it looks like they just give you roughly 10% of your ME1 credits.

I ended ME1 with 9,999,999 credits. :haw:

Same. The first thing I did was fly to the Citadel and Omega to buy literally everything.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Initially, I was slightly disappointed that either enemies are somewhat less resilient than they used to be or the Mako's gun is just considerably more powerful than it was, so that they die really quickly and you can't knock them down and propel them for seconds on end up mountainsides as you keep peppering them with bullets. Then I found out that a single cannon shot will make them fly all over the place, which was good. But now I see that just running into them with the Mako is sufficient to launch them into the air for distances of up to probably a few hundred meters, and that it usually kills them in one go so you won't have to go chasing them or shooting them after all. I don't think this strategy was anywhere near as potent in the original ME1 so I'm extremely pleased and cackling like mad.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Mass Effect isn't Star Trek, it's Star Wars. It's literally KOTOR3 but Bioware decided they didn't want to pay licensing fees to Lucasarts.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Benezia is extremely star wars EU IMO

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Benezia feels like a character they invented to give Liara some motivation to join Shepard's crew before they settled on her background as a Prothean researcher, but then they just kept her the script anyway for whatever reason.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Mass Effect evokes Star Wars and Star Trek in a lot of ways, but is mostly Revelation Space. The entire setup is almost exactly Revelation Space.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Quote-Unquote posted:

That's what I'm aiming for. I was trying my best to go full renegade no matter what but I've decided that she's a violent psychopath that is terrified of losing her crew friends.
Yeah, I'm gonna get some Paragon points but those represent the soft nougat at the center of the landmine.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

There are a few things in 1 that feel undercooked like that. I always though Saren was kind of unexplained too. He’s bad from the word go, but nothing about him is ever explained.

E, now that I think about it, this is a big problem with the whole series. The writers obviously took great pains to flesh out the minutiae of the universe like bullshit about the First Contact war, but when it comes to writing actual overarching plot points and motivations, they fall to pieces. This might be why 2 is so popular. It has a prompt, not a plot.

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 19, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It feels like Liara pities Saren more than feels bad about her mom dying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I believe the words you're looking for are ARRRGH! RRAAAAGH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Evil Robot posted:

Why doesn't Mass Effect work with Xbox quick resume? The 360 games work perfectly fine...

Probably because of the launcher I'd guess.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Well, you did the thing that made her stop. If you renegade that she stays racist.

She actually says "I'm not racist, but..."

(Okay the line is 'It's not racism, not really' but that's the same thing.)

Whorelord posted:

Playing this again and being older I never realised how much Ashley loving sucks. I normally do Feros first but this time I started with Therum. I talked to Liara once and Ashley immediately accused me of hitting on her before doing a racism. God she's getting nuked so loving hard on Virmire.

Kaidan does that too for female Shepards. The love interest stuff accelerates too quickly.