Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zesty posted:

How do you even do that? I can't find the proper report reason and their help section is out of date.

I just tweeted to @Twitter and @TwitterSupport about it. There really doesn't seem to be a good way to report ban evasion. I wish I understood why their support system is actively hostile to its users, but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This was 100% me. I came into college thinking it was a really black & white situation, and how the Europeans teased me and were happy to teach me, in my international dorm. The propaganda in the US is thick.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zesty posted:

How do you even do that? I can't find the proper report reason and their help section is out of date.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I just tweeted to @Twitter and @TwitterSupport about it. There really doesn't seem to be a good way to report ban evasion. I wish I understood why their support system is actively hostile to its users, but :shrug:
Report him as impersonating someone and when they ask you to say who, put "banned user @grrrgraphics".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will we ever reach a point where the cartoonist's shorthand for "normal people" is something other than mid-40s white people in dockers and loafers, with an option for a colored polo? I feel like it's boomer iconography that makes less and less sense as the actual boomers fade into screaming geriatrics.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Will we ever reach a point where the cartoonist's shorthand for "normal people" is something other than mid-40s white people in dockers and loafers, with an option for a colored polo? I feel like it's boomer iconography that makes less and less sense as the actual boomers fade into screaming geriatrics.

Yeah, as if the typical American family can afford two easy chairs in this economy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Even if Hamas has the baddest dudes in there, who loving sees a bad guy take a kid as a human shield and thinks the person that shoots the kid to get the bad guy is the hero here?

That depends. What colour is the kid?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If their support system were less user-hostile, they'd have a harder time explaining why they won't ban the Nazis.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pilchenstein posted:

Report him as impersonating someone and when they ask you to say who, put "banned user @grrrgraphics".

Perfect. Thanks!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Boris Johnson’s coronavirus lockdown easing – People in England and Wales – and parts of Scotland – can now eat inside restaurants and pubs (but please don’t); can hug (but be very careful); can go abroad on holiday (with a lot of caveats): the relaxation of rules offers some very mixed public messaging" After MC Escher and Robert Crumb.

Telegraph:

Risk of last-minute cancellation ‘chaos’ as UK holidaymakers hoard bookings

Matt:

Independent:

Don’t travel to amber list countries, says No 10 despite no ban

Times:

Biden expresses support for Israel-Gaza ceasefire as pressure on US rises

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... a long-awaited reopening

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I was going to try and AGC this but goddamn, Bok is literally saying "Actually we can have Middle East peace if we just get rid of all the Palestinians!"

Huh I guess with Trump out of office Tom Tomorrow had to change his "Detective Trump and sidekick Pence" comics by just making them into generic kids.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:
Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... a long-awaited reopening

Oh drat this got a chuckle out of me

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh I guess with Trump out of office Tom Tomorrow had to change his "Detective Trump and sidekick Pence" comics by just making them into generic kids.

:actually: Conservative Jones, Boy Detective, was an old W Bush era bit that I guess he's brought back:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

At this point newspaper, and the political cartoons inside them, are pretty much exclusively by boomers for boomers. The cartoons are going to reflect this. Even if they are well past middle age, this is what middle age was like for them, and it must still be that way.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

I thought those were bomb-hands for a second and it made me think of that old "Kultur-Terror" poster.

Al Goodywn

The slouched posture of the Geralds back there kinda gives me Adam4D vibes.

Joe Heller

Bob Gorell

Mike Lester

Tony Branco

quote:

What A Drag
Dr. Fauci keeps pushing for limiting America’s freedoms in perpetuity even against science.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Goddammit Raised :argh: (💜)

Shut the gently caress up, Ariail, this is how science works.

What do you suppose are the odds that either Gorrell or Lester has been vaccinated at this point?

edit edit: Branco, you loving moron, Fauci agrees with the CDC.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 19, 2021

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Virgin CEO Jayne Hrdlicka warns Australia 'can't keep COVID out forever' and needs to consider plan to reopen borders (ABC). "It will make us sick but won't put us into hospital. Some people may die but it will be way smaller than the flu." Also Senator with disability slams Virgin boss' "offensive" comments over borders reopening (SBS)

Broelman:

Wilcox:

Knight:

Melbourne mayor Sally Capp. The Herald Sun is reporting that the likely location of a second safe injection room is in Flinders Street in the CBD, and are calling for the mayor to take a stand against it.

Spooner:

A state issue in the national paper. (Victorian) Treasurer (Tim Pallas) to whack landlords, high-end property buyers with $2.4b tax hike (The Age)

Dyson:

Warren Brown:

Mouse plague crisis: PETA cops backlash for telling farmers not to kill the rodents (news.com.au)

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Raised By Birds posted:

Al Goodywn

The slouched posture of the Geralds back there kinda gives me Adam4D vibes.

Is this in response to any sort of financial news? Or is this basically the equivalent of "wouldn't it be terrible if the candidate I don't like said/did this awful thing I'm depicting?"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Grimdude posted:

Is this in response to any sort of financial news? Or is this basically the equivalent of "wouldn't it be terrible if the candidate I don't like said/did this awful thing I'm depicting?"

"If Biden isn't actively ruining the economy and letting inflation run rampant, then why do I keep drawing cartoons depicting him doing so?"

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Goddammit Raised :argh: (💜)

Shut the gently caress up, Ariail, this is how science works.

What do you suppose are the odds that either Gorrell or Lester has been vaccinated at this point?

edit edit: Branco, you loving moron, Fauci agrees with the CDC.

:synpa:

Honestly I find it more likely that they've been vaccinated than that they were following masking guidelines.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Grimdude posted:

I don't know if there's been any financial news but a bunch of right wing cartoonists have been fearmongering about inflation lately.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Why yes it sure would look silly if all those announcements were given right after the other and nothing changed in between.
gently caress it:

Also it turns out Ariail uses comic sans, because of course.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Vib Rib posted:

Why yes it sure would look silly if all those announcements were given right after the other and nothing changed in between.
gently caress it:

Also it turns out Ariail uses comic sans, because of course.

Should use Arial

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Two more getting in under the wire.

Chris Britt

Gary Varvel

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know if there's been any financial news but a bunch of right wing cartoonists have been fearmongering about inflation lately.
April had the largest single 12 month increase in the Consumer Price Index since 2008.

Usually the CPI is a pretty good indicator for inflation, but the coronavirus put deflationary pressure on prices in April 2020 and currently there is a lot of shortages in goods that are pushing up a wide variety of products, so the economic officials in the White House House are assuming this is a temporary issue.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We definitely ought to have a category for "both sides bad" cartoons like this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Raised By Birds posted:

Bob Gorell

Mike Lester

Oh gently caress you both you racist fucks

Kellies Nomination : Least concealed bigotry (Racism)

What the hell is this supposed to mean?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The cartoonist and their target audience are old.

Fife's use of the expression was part of his overly aggressive policing character.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 19, 2021

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Fister Roboto posted:

We definitely ought to have a category for "both sides bad" cartoons like this.

A category specifically for worst Israel/Palestine take might be in order since people are back on the Pro-Israel bandwagon with Trump now out of office, but most of the takes are essentially the same.

Most of these "both sides" cartoons definitely fit the worst gaslighting Kellies category if nothing else.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: This Idea Could Come in Handy

Ted Rall posted:

Senator Marco Rubio points out about the explosion of violence between Israel and Palestinians: “The only response that you’ve seen from Israel is in response to these [Arab] attacks, and they live in a very tough neighborhood and they’ve made abundantly clear if you hit us, we’re going to hit you back five times harder.” This is reminiscent of tactics used by Nazis in German-occupied Europe, in which they promised to kill 50 locals for every German soldier killed by the Resistance.

First Dog on the Moon: We're building a brand new gas power station. Questions? Oh no we don't answer questions

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Raised By Birds posted:

Jeff Danziger

I thought those were bomb-hands for a second and it made me think of that old "Kultur-Terror" poster.

drat, that's remarkably bold for a US cartoonist. No doubt he'll be getting a whole lot of hatemail for that one.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The Andy Griffith Show last aired in 1968. "Old people like watching Andy Griffith as Matlock" was a joke 30 years ago. Don Knotts died in 2006.

Political cartooning is dying as a medium for a reason

e: oh also you should absolutely get vaccinated, jackass

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 19, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Discendo Vox posted:

The cartoonist and their target audience are old.

Fife's use of the expression was part of his overly aggressive policing character.

Oh thank god, something in my wheelhouse.

I've talked about the Andy Griffith show a lot. Like, A LOT a lot. It is ground-loving-zero for CHUD-logic. Half the jokes are "haha, wouldn't it be hilarious if cops were petty and incompetent and frequently abused the system for their own benefit? And also, it wouldn't be a big deal at all."

So, I find it so loving weird to cast Biden in the Barney Fife role here. At first it makes sense because Barney is an incompetent fascist and that's what Varvel wants to make Joe Biden look like.

But the weird thing is that the people in this loving age group/audience love Barney Fife. The show just defines him as the "good guy", no question. He rarely, if ever, gets comeuppance or retribution for his behavior, and these people (baby boomers, Andy Griffith fans) absolutely love it. His incompetence is never seen as an overtly negative thing or portrayed as dangerous (even though him wildly firing a gun is a recurring gag) - more just like a minor annoyance. "His heart's in the right place, he's just a little excitable" is a common defense.

So why would you put the Guy You Hate (Joe Biden) in the role of the Guy You Love (Barney Fife) and expect us to read it as negative?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Chip Bok

Jeff Danziger

Clay Jones

Mike Luckovich

Mallard Fillmore - Bruce Tinsley

Jack Ohman

Prickly City - Scott Stantis and Eric Allie

Rob Rogers

Jeff Stahler

Matt Wuerker

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lisa Benson

Chip Bok

They're gonna be flogging this for weeks even though it'll be long past back to normal again.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oh my god gently caress off wuerker

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I like it.

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Bidenomics are essential for economy to continue to function.

An Economics Cartoon.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Kellies Nomination: Worst caricature

My brain keeps interpreting that "Kavanaugh" as a weird caricature of a Chinese mandarin or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fister Roboto posted:

oh my god gently caress off wuerker

I was gonna say one of these two groups isn't armed and empowered by the state but probably most gangs are just cops and FBI at this point, just like most terror cells