Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Lord Byron hated the English aristocracy, preferred to live in Venice, and became a hero of Greece. Sheridan Le Fanu is Irish. I love scoring points on English people as much as the next man of Hibernian descent, but you are really picking the wrong targets.

A racist Irishman? Now I've heard of everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

lollontee posted:

right, but thats not really a cultural study. like yeah im sure the concept of a vengeful undead was used in a lot of contexts over the course of the history of folk tales and theatre, but that doesn't really prove anything against the argument

The argument was “Vampires were a way for the common people to insult the aristocracy” I went and showed how Vampires being aristocracy didn’t come until the 1800’s and even then were written by upper class dudes. That’s a pretty good proof against the argument.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Yeah an Irish author who agitated for famine relief, writing about an English aristocrat being preyed upon by an eastern european aristocrat is racism, not a poetic irony. You figured it out.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

galagazombie posted:

The argument was “Vampires were a way for the common people to insult the aristocracy” I went and showed how Vampires being aristocracy didn’t come until the 1800’s and even then were written by upper class dudes. That’s a pretty good proof against the argument.

...in the english public literature of the 19th century which is... wtf dude?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
thats not a culture man. english literature before 20th century is like a miniscule part of anything you could call a cultural sphere

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
You can just enjoy vampire stories, you don't have to convince yourself they're Marx-approved.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i prefer pirateous vampires

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Castlevania's biggest sin was the erasure of Grant DaNasty.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

You can just enjoy vampire stories, you don't have to convince yourself they're Marx-approved.

the aristocracy as a parasite class is a literal liberal critique tho

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I thought all vampires were buff Aztec supermodels

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Feldegast42 posted:

I thought all vampires were buff Aztec supermodels

The Pillarmen fed on vampires you absolute moron.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

they're supervampires. come on

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
when you become a vampire you permanently give up your ability to use hamon or to even be outside during the day and it doesn't even improve your stand abilities in any way. It's a straight downgrade...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kars could bud off individual parts of himself and control them remotely. Eventually he could turn himself into a cloud of prions and wreck any Joestar's proteins stand or not.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
all Enigma would have to do is watch Kars get surprised, make a note of it, and then stuff him into a piece of paper and put him in a shredder.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

when you become a vampire you permanently give up your ability to use hamon or to even be outside during the day and it doesn't even improve your stand abilities in any way. It's a straight downgrade...

DIO could still have done the eye laser thing and the flash freeze thing and could probably bend steel girders without a Stand and just straight up chose not to because he's a dingus

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I get the reference but I still lol that the Ultimate Lifeform's name is Kars

When I ascend into Godhood I will take the holiest of names, Ford Focus

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

drat, Odd Taxi is insanely good

The taxi...is odd.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

grieving for Gandalf posted:

DIO could still have done the eye laser thing and the flash freeze thing and could probably bend steel girders without a Stand and just straight up chose not to because he's a dingus

I think Dio could hold his time stop ability for longer than Jotaro because he was a vampire.

Does that actually outweigh the fact that Dio would have been instakilled by someone whose stand power was just to give off a bunch of UV light or to hold him in place until sunrise? dunno

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

I think Dio could hold his time stop ability for longer than Jotaro because he was a vampire.

Does that actually outweigh the fact that Dio would have been instakilled by someone whose stand power was just to give off a bunch of UV light or to hold him in place until sunrise? dunno

I think it's fair to say that there are a lot of abilities that could kill DIO without overwhelming force but those will kill regular people too. being a superhuman monster doesn't hurt his chances though (unless it's just The Sun)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Where the gently caress is the third volume of Hajime no Ippo, gdi, it's supposed to have Champion Road and the OVA on it too

Let me give you my loving money already Discotek, i want you fuckers to get the rest of the series too

Edit: looking at my only anime purchases in my office and I spot the Fist of the North Star SDBD collection and I'm forever sad that the whole thing never got a proper dub or Adult Swim/other mainstream airing beyond that weird poo poo in the 90s that stopped at precisely the moment the series gets Real Good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casey Finnigan posted:

all Enigma would have to do is watch Kars get surprised, make a note of it, and then stuff him into a piece of paper and put him in a shredder.

oh sure if you can just make up any stand power then of course he'd lose

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

oh sure if you can just make up any stand power then of course he'd lose

gold experience requiem could simply win and kill kars forever, somehow, in an unclear way

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

gold experience requiem could simply win and kill kars forever, somehow, in an unclear way

kars is already lost to an immortality of reliving his final moments so GRE already won

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s hilarious that one of DIO’s random henchmen had the power to just summon Vampire killing sunlight at will.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

A racist Irishman? Now I've heard of everything!

Were the Irish capable of being racist in the 19th century? I don't think they were even allowed to be cops at that point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't remember who said "Only an Irishman would write a book where a Swede, a Texan and a Woman save Englnd".

Retromancer posted:

Castlevania's biggest sin was the erasure of Grant DaNasty.

Last season had Greta Danesti.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

lollontee posted:

thats not a culture man. english literature before 20th century is like a miniscule part of anything you could call a cultural sphere

lol wtf is this poo poo dude

if you want to say you know poo poo all about this there are less embarrassing ways fam

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

quote:

In his entry for "Vampires" in the Dictionnaire philosophique (1764), Voltaire notices how the mid-18th century coincided with the decline of the folkloric belief in the existence of vampires but that now "there were stock-jobbers, brokers, and men of business, who sucked the blood of the people in broad daylight; but they were not dead, though corrupted. These true suckers lived not in cemeteries, but in very agreeable palaces".[148]

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

My only desire for the Castlevania series is that Soma Cruz shows up and just loving domes some poor merman.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Author of Berserk passed away.

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/status/1395212918040391680

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
it really is the end of an era

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
gently caress, man. just. goddammit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RIP to a legend :smith:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
it's so sad that he died full of regret, unable to finish,... thje latest idolmaster

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I forgive the dumb Death dialogue because it's Malcolm McDowell.

I liked scumbag Death personally, but I'll admit it was probably Malcolm McDowell that made it work.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Augus posted:

RIP to a legend :smith:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
how many mangaka or animators get hit by heart disease in their 40s-50s? seems like a lot.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dr. Killjoy posted:

how many mangaka or animators get hit by heart disease in their 40s-50s? seems like a lot.

Chronic sleep deprivation and smoking are contributors to heart disease, and those folks have obscene schedules and often smoke like chimneys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gently caress.