Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

what's a good game that's about finding cool combos in the RPG mechanics?

Dragon age inquistion has some of this, but it's buried under an awful ui, unclear rules, mountains of trash loot, and hours of tedium. i'd like something that's less bones more meat.

SaGa: Scarlet Grace is pretty neat in that way, it’s not much in the way of story but fights focus around manipulating turn order and mitigating/no-selling dangerous enemy attacks and generally feels fair if challenging since you can almost always see how, when, and how strong an enemy attack is. It’s something to keep an eye on if there’s a square sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

what's a good game that's about finding cool combos in the RPG mechanics?

Shadow Hearts Covenant, Shadow Hearts From the New World, Final Fantasy 8, SaGa Frontier, Dungeon Fighter Online

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Harrow posted:

I think Persona 5 has been a gateway for a lot of people getting into turn-based combat, or at least has been something people can enjoy even if it's not normally their thing. As long as you're in for a very long, dialog-heavy game, you're gonna have a good time, I think.

Playing Persona 5 Royal and Yakuza LAD has really turned me around on that front. But then I tried to play Bravely Default 2 and was met with another pretty mediocre turn-based game so it's still a bit of a crap-shoot.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I find myself struggling to continue Nioh, and I'm pretty sure the reason is the same reason it took me this long to play it at all; Japan just does nothing for me as a setting these days. I can't even tell you why. It wasn't always like this; Tenchu 1 and 2 were among my favorite PS1 games. Okami might well have been the favorite PS2 game. Maybe I've just been overexposed to it? I dunno, but I just reached the second area, and I'm in a poisoned mine level, and my mind is already reaching for another game series I could be playing instead. Maybe the Arkham games? I remember thinking Shadow of Mordor's gimmick was kinda cool...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Playing Persona 5 Royal and Yakuza LAD has really turned me around on that front. But then I tried to play Bravely Default 2 and was met with another pretty mediocre turn-based game so it's still a bit of a crap-shoot.

I loved Bravely Default 1 and still kinda bounced off Bravely Default 2. It just didn't really have the same spark for me, unfortunately, even as someone who loves turn-based JRPGs.

I was thinking Yakuza: Like a Dragon would be a really good gateway game for turn-based JRPGs, too. A little bit more active stuff during the combat and a relentlessly charming cast of characters with a good story.

Other games I'd recommend for someone looking to get into turn-based (or pretty much turn-based) JRPGs, if they're cool with SNES games, would be Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger. Mountains of charm, combat that's simple but with enough going on to still be engaging, and a nice, breezy pace that doesn't get bogged down.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

veeg go on Pokémon

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My first cousin graduated from NYU summa cum laude with the best graded thesis in the entire university. :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/Lord_Mo/status/1394853674430705664

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Was it about cool combos in RPG mechanics?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Considering how bulked up Ryo is now, Clark and Ralf could literally be Ben Grimm at this point.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

My first cousin graduated from NYU summa cum laude with the best graded thesis in the entire university. :psyduck:

jokes on them, i graduated there without doing any of that.

seriously though, congrats to your cousin.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DMCrimson posted:

jokes on them, i graduated there without doing any of that.

seriously though, congrats to your cousin.
I've been a deadbeat friend to her since college; that ends today.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been slowly playing Bravely Default II and have ended up enjoying it even though I went in with low expectations. The more old school design clicks with me a lot more, than more modern day JRPGs do, because I started with this type of JRPG on the SNES, and Bravely Default II feels like a PlayStation 1 game. I am disappointed that it does away with a lot of its unique quality of life / difficulty settings that the 3DS games were known for, but one thing I like that is new is that enemies now run away from you if you are too high of level for them. It's a good indicator that you are ready to move on from an area, for those of us that like grinding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1395016391351209985?s=20

Keighley3 is back on this year. 2 hours with 12+ premieres.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have Nocturne HD pre-ordered on Switch and I am excited to start playing that this weekend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1395016391351209985?s=20

Keighley3 is back on this year. 2 hours with 12+ premieres.

EA will likely be Battlefield 6, a new Star Wars game, and Apex Legends announcements. Bandai Namco is probably just going to be Tales of Arise. Riot Games will hopefully be the MMORPG they are working on, and there will no doubt be upcoming Valorant info. Sega is going to be Warhammer III. Warner Brothers will hopefully be Injustice 3 (please please please). Activision is the next Call of Duty game (this is the most obvious prediction because Activision is consistent every year). Capcom will be Monster Hunter stuff, and maybe Street Fighter VI. UBISoft is going to be the next Assassin's Creed.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

"Keigh3" is right there

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That list doesn't tell me which brand of energy drink will be sponsoring the event, therefore it is useless to me. How am I supposed to know which kind of gamer fuel is currently trendy?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Will Ubisoft quietly bury Beyond Good & Evil 2, or will they try to turn it into an actual game? Will Gearbox announce a new game which, more importantly, gives Randy Pitchford reason to be in the public eye again? Will Epic do something self-felating? How many Bioware people sitting at computers will EA show in their thing?

These are the important question that may or may not be answered this year

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When we getting the schick hydrobor videogame

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Baller Time posted:

Will Ubisoft quietly bury Beyond Good & Evil 2, or will they try to turn it into an actual game? Will Gearbox announce a new game which, more importantly, gives Randy Pitchford reason to be in the public eye again? Will Epic do something self-felating? How many Bioware people sitting at computers will EA show in their thing?

They should bury it and pretend all the trailers never existed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
100% it'll go the Half Life 3 route where they strategically avoid talking about it for the next 5-6 years until finally saying "it's not being actively worked on" in a reddit AMA.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baller Time posted:

I forgot there will be Dragon Age 4 footage, and a new Mass Effect teaser.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

100% it'll go the Half Life 3 route where they strategically avoid talking about it for the next 5-6 years until finally saying "it's not being actively worked on" in a reddit AMA.

Pretty much yeah, this game was canceled.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Capcom will be Monster Hunter stuff, and maybe Street Fighter VI. UBISoft is going to be the next Assassin's Creed.

I'd be kind of surprised to see Street Fighter 6, a reveal of the last season 5 character maybe seems more likely

I was thinking they'd reveal SF6 at whatever Evo is going to look like now or maybe even at the CPT final next year (or E3?? is that still happening) but maybe development is further along than I'm expecting idk

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

E3 is still technically happening but I’d be surprised if Keigh3 doesn’t destroy it this year

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
"beyond good and evil 2 will be an EGS exclusive"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQuaAHB2W9Q

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barudak posted:

It exists to not pay 5 Night at Freddy's for the license and beat a 5 Nights at Freddy's film to market

Lurdiak posted:

It is the laziest, cheapest possible execution of the concept. Nic Cage never speaks, the film is shot horribly, there's barely any costumes or locations. It is essentially selling you the meme concept of Nic Cage fighting evil mascots and the trailer, but the actual film does the absolute bare minimum to meet that requirement. It's kind of like an Asylum movie, but more humorless. It feels incredibly cynical, like they know the concept is such a meme idea that people will watch it just based on the idea, and that idea is the only thing it offers.

not to rankle any freddy heads itt - but isn't five nights at freddie's a really lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage, not-scary game mostly know for being associated with lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage youtubers who believe screaming is a form of entertainment? what's missing from this film that you think the proper FNAF movie will cover?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Back in the early times of BG&E2 leaks the supposed grand scheme was that the project was started mainly to keep Ancel happy after the considered quitting because Rayman had been shelved in favor of the rabbids (that was before Origins) so if that was true now he's gone BG&E2's odds of coming out have likely gone down, unless they've sunk too much cash into it already.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I finished raging loop last night, it's a fun ride. I don't generally engage with stories like this in a way where I'm really trying to figure everything out before the story, I can imagine if you're a fan of mystery stuff and trying to piece together clues the back end of this game would be frustrating.

I didn't play any of the extra episodes yet, not sure if I will

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

UBISoft was really riding on their scam working out; where they asked fans to create free content for the game and submit it with no compensation. That went absolutely no where because of course it didn't.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Out of everything concerning Ubisoft last year nothing was as...bizarre as Michael Ancel not just denying the allegations made against him about how he treated people who worked for him, but he typed up a faux-interview between himself and Jade from Beyond Good and Evil to denounce said allegations.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFvH559q7uS/?hl=en

That I believe, was an industry first.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I said come in! posted:

UBISoft was really riding on their scam working out; where they asked fans to create free content for the game and submit it with no compensation. That went absolutely no where because of course it didn't.

I don't think they ever intended for the user submitted content to be a major development part of the game, it sounded more like it would be user generated sprays like in the counterstrike days, and that artists would be happy with the ~~exposure~~

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Out of everything concerning Ubisoft last year nothing was as...bizarre as Michael Ancel not just denying the allegations made against him about how he treated people who worked for him, but he typed up a faux-interview between himself and Jade from Beyond Good and Evil to denounce said allegations.

:wtc:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ymgve posted:

I don't think they ever intended for the user submitted content to be a major development part of the game, it sounded more like it would be user generated sprays like in the counterstrike days, and that artists would be happy with the ~~exposure~~

Yeah, they weren't planning to make the entire game out of uncompensated fan art, but that they were trying to do it at all is still really scummy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I dont know why this creeps me out as much as it does

But boy I'm getting major shivers

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know if people actually got paid but it did go through that (allegedly terrible) Hitrecord crowdsourcing company and according to them, payouts were made to certain artists for BG&E2 work. Ubisoft's pool of funds was only $50K. There's a post on the site from April 2020 where Ubisoft was apparently extending the pool with an additional $30K for new submissions? loving weird considering the game has been dead for years.

https://hitrecord.org/pay_periods/15
https://hitrecord.org/productions/3502858

There was a similar program for Watch Dogs Legion, with only $20K available, I guess.

https://hitrecord.org/productions/3869840

If someone knows more about this than me, feel free to correct.

Also :lol: at that Ancel interview... thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

OS1 isn't bad but OS2 is an all-timer. The main stories aren't particularly linked and the overarching plot is a whole bunch of whatever anyway so I'd probably just start with OS2.

Seconding this, OS2 is better and you won't feel remotely lost if you jump into 2 not having played 1.

divinity has some rad spell combos with things like generating rain so you can electrocute wet people, destroying an oil barrel to light it on fire, putting out fire with rain, lighting poison gas on fire with fire arrows, etc. etc.

I basically spent all my time in combat just setting up those combos because they feel fancy.