Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So that's what a taint reaping is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing he's a professional taint reaper because it looked like a setup from the start.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Fat Loser posted:

If it's stupid and it works...

Then it has just delayed killing you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

PainterofCrap posted:

drat, tire machine is visible in the background to the left, against the wall

That's the balancer. And to the left is a car tire machine. Tractor-trailer tires are usually faster to change with prybars anyhow. That balancer is only there for the steer tires anyhow, no one balances drives or trailer tires.

If it was an outside drive or trailer tire, you can leave the wheel mounted and replace the tire without having to break out the 1" impact gun. Just drive the inside wheel up on a block of wood and get to work.

Basically like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI5Q8rBhB5U

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 18, 2021

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

PainterofCrap posted:

drat, tire machine is visible in the background to the left, against the wall

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, a machine for car tires, not semi tires.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/BLYLHphl/status/1394391182873083911?s=19

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Inspector who failed to catch Mississippi River bridge crack is fired

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Oh, poo poo, is that the bridge next to the Pyramid?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

the more times this gets posted the more dead certain I am he did it on purpose and this is some kind of CBT video.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Uthor posted:

Oh, poo poo, is that the bridge next to the Pyramid?

Yes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LifeSunDeath posted:

the more times this gets posted the more dead certain I am he did it on purpose and this is some kind of CBT video.
This should certainly be added to some Computer Based Training courses for those poor mechanics.

CBT is an unfortunately busy acronym. I think we're doing it to ourselves on purpose now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not well traveled, especially in that part of the country, but I drove over that bridge (and probably crack) a half dozen times for work 2-3 years ago. Huh.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hopefully they never get hired again. You don't even need UT (or any) equipment to find that crack, I guarantee the guy just rubbed a transducer over the metal without caring or paying attention and just pencil-whipped it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hopefully they never get hired again. You don't even need UT (or any) equipment to find that crack, I guarantee the guy just ran a transducer over the metal without caring or paying attention and just pencil-whipped it

The crack was plainly visible on a drone video taken at the time of the inspection. I could have told you it was cracked just looking at a 240p YouTube video of the bridge.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Some local bridgefuckling, on the topside for a change.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-05-18/bickleigh-bridge-lorry-left-hanging-off-devon-bridge-after-crash

The bridge is grade 2 listed (https://www.bidwells.co.uk/faqs/blog-what-does-grade-2-listed-mean/).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LifeSunDeath posted:

Crowbar-Balanced Tires?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Cognitive Balls Training

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Crowbar-Bruised Taint

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I’ve been doing CBT for insomnia and let me tell you it is no fun at all.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Cthulhu-Based Torment

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Canal Boat Traffic

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hopefully they never get hired again. You don't even need UT (or any) equipment to find that crack, I guarantee the guy just rubbed a transducer over the metal without caring or paying attention and just pencil-whipped it

Ahh yes, the inspector's two favourite moves: Tick, and Flick.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I knew about cock and ball torture first, so when people started talking about using CBT to help manage their anxiety I was completely mind blown.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I wonder if bridge inspector in the US is like being a dam inspector, where there are only a handful in each state and each is responsible for "checking" about 200 dams a year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Grady made a video that covers the circumstance’s of California 2017 Oroville Dam crisis well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNM4DGBRMU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I wonder if bridge inspector in the US is like being a dam inspector, where there are only a handful in each state and each is responsible for "checking" about 200 dams a year.

Yeah, that was my first thought too.

Not to excuse him but I wouldn't bet 1$ against the Mississipi inspectors being both massively underfunded and undermanned.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's the South. The only things that are well funded there are the cops and the churches.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://twitter.com/NeilTheAssTyson/status/1394035057086504960?s=20
stay for the forklift

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/19/china/china-shenzhen-skyscraper-intl-hnk/index.html

Building in china started swaying "for no reason".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

15,000 people were in there.

It's almost 1000' feet tall and it doesn't even crack the top 100 tallest buildings in China. :psyduck:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

loving crazy. They tunneling in the area?
New subway or something?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Perhaps a little unfair. But my first thought was "Did one of the sub-contracters decide to cut a few costs".

Edit: But it's apparently been standing 20 years, so you'd think massively dangerous engineering shortfall would have shown up before now.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 19, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Don't these buildings have counterweights to offset wind wobble? Maybe that was the issue

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Just looking at the videos and what struck me most was not the wobbling skyscraper but the crowds.

Pandemic year has really broken my brain.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Just looking at the videos and what struck me most was not the wobbling skyscraper but the crowds.

I watched a movie recently (maybe a Mazerunner movie?) that was made a few years ago, and there was a scene where all these pedestrians were walking around with masks on except for the main characters, and it struck me that that scene stood out to me because of the two characters who weren’t masked. At first glance there wasn’t anything odd about everyone else being masked. Which would not have been the case had I seen the movie when it came out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deptfordx posted:

Perhaps a little unfair. But my first thought was "Did one of the sub-contracters decide to cut a few costs".

Edit: But it's apparently been standing 20 years, so you'd think massively dangerous engineering shortfall would have shown up before now.

You'd think that, but sometimes a builder cuts a seemingly harmless corner and a major skyscraper spends a few years in danger of being blown over by a strong gust of wind in the wrong direction

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

"Cut a corner" is a good phrase to use in that situation!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

I couldn't find any actual videos of this thing wobblying, just a bunch of shaky videos against a background of moving clouds.. All news reports just say "people inside the building felt it swaying" with no officials backing up that claim.
Gut reaction is that it was just a mass panic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Cantankerous ice machine in 90th floor break room incites stampede. Hundreds hospitalized, more at 11.