Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Empress Brosephine posted:

That sounds super lovely, I'm going to book it.

Get there early, like 7:30 or whenever you can, they don't open the water until 9, but you need that time to explore, grab breakfast, and get hooked up with a place to hang out (if you don't do a cabana) and get the wetsuits. Lockers there are included, you just walk up and claim one (there are several areas). Also around 9ish they walk through the dolphin beach and other areas with a cool flamingo mini parade. If you drive from I-4, seaworld entrance is on the left, discovery cove is on the right just past the seaworld entrance. The place is absolutely worth doing at least once.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I do believe I'm going to skip this.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atricks posted:

Get there early, like 7:30 or whenever you can, they don't open the water until 9, but you need that time to explore, grab breakfast, and get hooked up with a place to hang out (if you don't do a cabana) and get the wetsuits. Lockers there are included, you just walk up and claim one (there are several areas). Also around 9ish they walk through the dolphin beach and other areas with a cool flamingo mini parade. If you drive from I-4, seaworld entrance is on the left, discovery cove is on the right just past the seaworld entrance. The place is absolutely worth doing at least once.

That sounds so rad, were gunnar go this fall.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/ProfNarcoossee/status/1395066734437183490

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I should clarify if I recall correctly that Montu had a seatbelt and then a shoulder harness, so the shoulder harness coming loose was not a big deal as I guess the seatbelt is what kept you on (although she did say you can ride it without anything and be fine)

From memory, the belts on that model of coaster are a fail safe and do nothing. Anyone could open them mid ride and be completely fine. The harness on the other hand is technically always locked except when the tech within the ride station unlocks it. You’d need some serious bolt cutters to open the harness mid ride by cutting wires at the back of the harness behind your seat.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

They’re finally back??

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dugong posted:

From memory, the belts on that model of coaster are a fail safe and do nothing. Anyone could open them mid ride and be completely fine. The harness on the other hand is technically always locked except when the tech within the ride station unlocks it. You’d need some serious bolt cutters to open the harness mid ride by cutting wires at the back of the harness behind your seat.

The harnesses are locked by default and require power from an external source to unlock. When the train is in the station, levers on the track push levers on the train that release the harnesses. The harnesses are not locked by hydraulic pressure or anything that cutting a wire or cable would cause them to release. The only way to unlock them outside of the station on all modern coasters is by manipulating a lever that the riders can't reach.

The seatbelts on classic B&M rides (like Hulk and Montu) serve two purposes - 1. They're a failsafe, should the harness still come unlocked (the likelihood of this happening is almost impossible). and 2. They're an indicator that the harness has been lowered to the legally agreed upon level. For instance, the harness might be locked and unable to raise, but if the seatbelt can't reach the buckle, then the harness isn't down far enough. Hence why bigger people are turned away even if the harness is still locked on them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

holy poo poo they look amazing. they really needed that refurb.

there haven't been any space 220 updates for a while, right?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Apparently Disney announced the Skyliner would be down for a short refurb at the end of next January. The exact week we have our trip.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Funzo posted:

Apparently Disney announced the Skyliner would be down for a short refurb at the end of next January. The exact week we have our trip.

yeah I already booked an art of animation stay for those few days. I wanna go to Festival of the Arts anyhow.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

aww yisss it’s robot time

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Nice.

And yet DisBoard/Twitter/YouTube will not remember this next time some animatronic is removed for refurbishment and will claim it's gone forever.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMetpFRLT/

Not gonna lie, I laughed pretty hard.

Also, I'm glad that the animatronics are back, but honestly those cardboard cut outs were hilarious. Just the absolute bare minimum as a place holder. It was like art.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Outlaw Run just has a lap bar and omg did it hurt. Any time we inverted, my thighs got the full brunt of those bars. I had bruise marks for several days after.
The Hagrid's restraints were great.

RIP sombrero on a plant. I'm so sad I never got to see it in person

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure they were directly trolling DisTwitter and all that.

Those animatronics had to be not just refurbished, but improved, right? They're so fluid!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

BlueBayou posted:

Outlaw Run just has a lap bar and omg did it hurt. Any time we inverted, my thighs got the full brunt of those bars. I had bruise marks for several days after.
My country's sole RMC-built coaster(Untamed) has never given me bruises but yeah, for all his qualities when it comes to roller coaster design, coming up with an ergonomic train is not Alan Schilke's strong suit.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

RMC restraints probably have the smallest surface area of restraint compared to how much their coasters throw you around, so they're ready made to ding you up. But at least they're not boxing your ears like the old Arrow looper over-the-shoulder bullshit. They also give you a ton of freedom with your upper body; more than, say, the Premier LIM trains, which also feature inversions but build up the train body a bit so you don't have as much room to move around.

The RMC train are also hilarious because they feature the bare minimum of places to hold onto; one lovely little loop on one leg will not feel like enough when the ride starts throwing you around. We have friends that went on Outlaw Run without realizing what was going to happen to them, and that must've been a great experience.

Shout outs to the B&M vest style restraint, though, which I think strikes really a happy medium for all the relevant factors.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 20, 2021

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

The Hagrid's restraints were great.

RIP sombrero on a plant. I'm so sad I never got to see it in person

Agreed on Hagrid's restraints. I rode in the sidecar both times and felt very secure.

So, a little trip report on Universal this week.

-Endless Summer Dockside is a fantastic resort. The rooms are sleek and modern and the place has a chill beachy vibe we all liked. Yes, it's not close to City Walk or the parks compared to the other resorts, but the buses are fast and plentiful. The pool is beautiful. Other than the scratchy duvet that SB hated, we found the resort to be near perfect. 10/10 would stay there again. I wouldn't choose it over Portofino Bay, of course, but for a budget stay I absolutely recommend it. We stayed there Saturday - Monday.

-We moved to Cabana Bay on Monday. While Cabana Bay's decor is supremely my poo poo, we didn't like this resort as much as Dockside. It's huge, first of all and finding our room was confusing af. The rooms themselves are cute, but aren't as nice as Dockside's. I did enjoy the retro toiletries. When's the last time anyone used Alberto Vo5? We didn't really have time to take in all the amenities like the bowling and stuff, but we did use the pool with the lazy river. Attention on the lazy river, either bring your own tube to float on or you have to buy one at a minimum of $12 each! We were really put off by that. If you're flying in, you're probably not bringing inflatables for the pool. You can float down the lazy river, of course, but it's not as much fun without a raft, in my opinion. Huge plus for Cabana Bay is the entrance to Volcano Bay right there. Can't beat that.

-We went to Universal Studios on Monday, knocked out a few rides, then went back to the hotel when it got hot. (Weather was great for May, low humidity but still the sun was brutal). Back to Islands of Adventure that night and did Hagrid's. Volcano Bay on Tuesday. Islands and Studios on Wednesday til 4, then home.

-Hagrid's is an AMAZING ride. We all loved it. It's not too scary but has enough thrilling elements to be fun. And it's FAST. I've never felt a coaster that felt so fast to me. Admittedly, I'm not really a big coaster girl, but I really loved Hagrid's.

-People of size. I'm a big girl. I'm what they call a "mid-fat". I did not fit on the motorbike of Hagrid's, only the sidecar and barely at that. Just keep that in mind if you're a larger person. It's not super accommodating. I tried the test seat out front and got the green light on the sidecar, but they made me try the test seat inside too and still could only get the green on the sidecar which surprised the attendant since most larger people fit the motorbike but not the sidecar.

- SB did Velocicoaster twice. I'll let him tell you about that if he wants. I wanted no part of that!

-Volcano Bay is super nice. The nicest water park I've been to, but then I haven't been to any Disney water parks. We really enjoyed the water slides. The Tapu Tapu wearable is pretty cool.

-Mask usage. So most people did not wear masks when outdoors and walking around. Mask usage in lines and on rides was good. I didn't see anyone not wear a mask when they required to. All shop attendants asked people to wear masks if they walked in without. I actually forgot to put my mask back on in a shop once and the shop clerk rightfully fussed at me. So people were following the rules.

-The Kitchen at Hard Rock Hotel has the BEST breakfast. We got the family style one. It's a great value at $23 per person and is all you can eat. You get pastries, fruit, a platter of sausage and bacon, a bowl of potatoes, pancakes and French toast, and each person gets a made to order omelet. It was delicious and I absolutely recommend it.

-Studios and Islands were absolutely slammed. Minimum of 30 min waits for crap rides and over an hour for the good ones. I don't know what Universal's cap is, but it was so so crowded. Tuesday night the parks closed at 7 because Matco Tools had rented out both parks for a private event and City Walk was packed to the gills.

Overall, we had a blast. My feet are killing me. My Apple Watch says I walked over 30 miles in 5 days. Ouch.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 20, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Yeah, I can now say that my favorite Florida park is Islands of Adventure because it has three of my favorite coasters. Good job, Universal!

You can tell they're still working out the kinks of the lines for VelociCoaster, but that's what a soft opening is supposed to do. The second time it was warmer in line and took a bit longer since it was the middle of the day, but it's still a thrilling ride. Since it was mentioned in the thread, I did notice how the lap bar was set up, but it feels extremely secure, even if you don't have the traditional "over the shoulder" harness.

I did ride almost every thrill ride I wanted to twice. I rode the Ko’okiri Body Plunge at Volcano Bay twice and that was thrilling. It's a drop-door body slide that pitches riders down a 70-degree-angle descent for 125 feet, but it's over in 5 seconds. It's fast but it actually feels safer than other big drop slides that I used to ride (RIP The Edge at Waterworld) because it's completely enclosed. I remember lifting off of the Edge and feeling like I was in freefall, but didn't feel like that on this. Of course, that might also be because I'm much bigger now than I was as a teenager. Climbing 209 steps twice gets you tired! :)

One funny thing on that one, I wanted to let Braksgirl and my sister know when I was up there, so I told her that I'd walk to the edge and throw up the wrestling X symbol when it was my turn. That's a symbol that the refs throw up when someone is legit injured but you can spot it pretty easily and I figured no one else would do that. Well when I did, the attendant politely asked me not to do that because it also means that there is an injury and they have to stop the ride. So I learned that lesson, whoops! (I did ride again)

Speaking of wrestling, I know there's a few fans of it in here. Hulk Hogan has two beach shops and one is in Orlando. But it's not just Hogan merchandise, it's got a lot of other wrestler's merch in there too. I understand if you don't want to go there because of him, but I have never been to a store that sells just wrestling related items, so we visited.

It's a tiny store, about the size of a 7-11, which it may have been in a former life. And yes, there is a bunch of Hogan memorabilia there but plenty of current gen and former wrestler stuff too. Also, a mini wrestling ring. But the cool thing that I didn't know about was that for $20, they will let you hold and pose with a replica of the Big Gold Belt that Hogan has signed and spray painted with nWo. You can take as many pictures as you want with your camera, and they let all three of us get into the ring, pose, hold the belt, cut promos, etc. My sister put me in a sleeper and I gave her a clothesline off the ropes (which she no-sold :argh:). For a long term wrestling fan like me, that was pretty much the highlight of the trip. Even Braksgirl told me that if I didn't spend the $20 to do that, I was stupid. :) Bought some other stuff but that belt session is highly recommend if you're in town and they're open (which apparently is sporadic according to someone else I talked to in Orlando who noticed the tote bag from there that we used in Volcano Bay).

One other very cool moment from yesterday, I hadn't ridden Hulk, and it was our last day. I went early on, and they were closed because someone puked. So I went to Spidey and it broke down after waiting in line for 45 minutes. I left to go meet them for lunch, saw it was open afterwards, and went to go see if I could ride it once. Well, when they put me through the metal detector, it beeped and they pulled me aside (it was my belt). He showed me the single rider line that no one was using. Instead of waiting 50 minutes, I was done in 5. So I went two more times, getting beeped by the detector, and the guy working laughed and said if you want to ride it again, go through the back and ask for him, and he'd scan me there and let me through. So I did. All in all, I rode the Hulk coaster four times in thirty minutes using the single rider line (second row, first row, first row, last row, can't get much better than that). I thanked that guy on the way out profusely because that was awesome of him to do.

All in all, a great trip with beautiful weather, and we all had a good time. Well, all except my feet. But so worth it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Wait... Why are they doing metal detectors at the ride level rather than the park level? Who are they worried about whipping out a gun once they're strapped in to Hagrid?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's more for phones and loose items in pockets I'd assume

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

Yep. Everything has to go in a locker.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WhiteHowler posted:

Wait... Why are they doing metal detectors at the ride level rather than the park level? Who are they worried about whipping out a gun once they're strapped in to Hagrid?

couldcareless posted:

Braksgirl posted:

Yep. Everything has to go in a locker.

Yep, which makes sense, because can you imagine how many phones they'd have to go find after the park closes?

Actually that is a good question for the Disney/Universal workers in here. How many phones/valuables do you find after the park closes, and do they all go to Lost and Found?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Braksgirl posted:

Agreed on Hagrid's restraints. I rode in the sidecar both times and felt very secure.

You gotta try the motorbike side, totally different ride! I was surprised by how substantial that waist restraint was and thought I'd just sit back and ride it like a normal coaster, but as soon as the first launch hit I grabbed those handlebars and held on tight haha. It really captures the feel of riding a motorcycle around twisty turns and sitting that high off the track in an aggressive upright position feels like you're flying around. They could have done a broom themed ride the same way and it would have been equally successful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Yep, which makes sense, because can you imagine how many phones they'd have to go find after the park closes?

Actually that is a good question for the Disney/Universal workers in here. How many phones/valuables do you find after the park closes, and do they all go to Lost and Found?

At Disney they end up with so much that if you lost a specific park merch item they usually have another they just give you to replace it. This happened with some ears my wife had in the Dino car pouch that came open.

WhiteHowler posted:

A lot of people got womped by gopros and phones flying off Hulk so they implemented them a while back.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Silly Burrito posted:

My wife left her phone on Soarin and on the most recent visit I left the Goofy hat from my very first visit on Big Thunder.

Both times we worriedly went to the CMs at the exit, expecting the worst, only to have the CM disappear into the exit and cheerfully emerge a few minutes later with our items that had apparently been immediately retrieved during post-ride vehicle checks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My wife lost her wedding rings on Flight of the Falcon. We reported it and 2 days later her engagement ring was mailed to us (never found her band, but that wasn't as important to her)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alg posted:

My wife lost her wedding rings on Flight of the Falcon. We reported it and 2 days later her engagement ring was mailed to us (never found her band, but that wasn't as important to her)

Whoa, that's really fortunate/good people.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I proposed at Magic Kingdom, at the end of the first night of our trip. I stashed the ring in my pocket when we headed out for the parks, then spent the day terrified of losing it. You can see in all the on-ride photos from that day that I have one hand in my pocket with a death grip on the ring box.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Was that sometime before Sept 26, 2004?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Boxman posted:

I proposed at Magic Kingdom, at the end of the first night of our trip. I stashed the ring in my pocket when we headed out for the parks, then spent the day terrified of losing it. You can see in all the on-ride photos from that day that I have one hand in my pocket with a death grip on the ring box.

Ok, this story I want to know more of (if you're comfortable telling it, that is). Where did you propose? Did you get a cast member to take your photo? Did you propose at night at fireworks? I've heard of general stories of people proposing there but I've never heard one straight from the horse's mouth.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I proposed at the end of the Wine and Dine half marathon and same story. Had an elaborate keychain system for it attached to my armband but I was pretty anxious about dropping it (no box) the entire race. Then at the end it was so secure I almost couldn't get it out in time for her coming in to the finish line lol.

We like to joke when we take friends to EPCOT and we're parking that we got engaged right here in this parking lot and point over to a random corner of the asphalt since that's where they setup the finishline area.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bottom Liner posted:

I proposed at the end of the Wine and Dine half marathon and same story. Had an elaborate keychain system for it attached to my armband but I was pretty anxious about dropping it (no box) the entire race. Then at the end it was so secure I almost couldn't get it out in time for her coming in to the finish line lol.

We like to joke when we take friends to EPCOT and we're parking that we got engaged right here in this parking lot and point over to a random corner of the asphalt since that's where they setup the finishline area.

Very cool! So you proposed immediately after she passed the finish line?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yup, the race workers were trying to usher me through while I was fumbling with the ring and trying to explain what I was doing, it was kind of a mess haha. We trained and ran the whole thing together (it was our first half) until the last mile and I made up an excuse that my leg was cramping and I had to finish fast and ran ahead.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Goliath at Walibi Holland(not to be confused with the half a dozen or so rides with the same name in the US) has this standing outside the queue:

In case the compression makes the English text below the Dutch unreadable, it says "remove loose articles from your pockets or Goliath will do it for you".

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Proposed at a rainy Halloween party in front of castle right after Hallowishes. I was dressed as Flynn Rider so I had the satchel as part of the getup, ring box lived in that. The difficult part was getting the box out my luggage and into the bag without future wife noticing.

Had no CM involvement or anyone else for that matter. Because of the rain, she ended up ditching her soaking wet rapunzel costume and bought one of the bright orange Halloween party shirts. Circumstances weren't ideal but it all worked out and now we have a cute throw pillow we made from the party shirt.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Nice! I had no idea so many of you proposed at Disney. :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Was that sometime before Sept 26, 2004?

Haha, no, but I'm actually surprised I (or my wife, who is also in this thread!) never mentioned it.

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, this story I want to know more of (if you're comfortable telling it, that is). Where did you propose? Did you get a cast member to take your photo? Did you propose at night at fireworks? I've heard of general stories of people proposing there but I've never heard one straight from the horse's mouth.

So, my original plan was to dawdle a lot, enjoy the main street ambiance and kiss goodnight, and be close to the last ones out; being the center of attention is not something we're all about, so during fireworks/randomly in the Hub was not really an option. I was going to ask a rando CM to take pictures of the entire thing.

But, best laid plans, right? Turns out either I hosed up reading the schedule at some point or they changed hours, because the park was closing two hours later than I was expecting. And we caught, like, a 6 AM flight that morning, so the original plan was amended to me suggesting we walk around until I could find someplace slightly out of the way and also somewhat romantic. Luckily, the path to the Wishing Well was open! So, we went over there and I went down on one knee. By that point she was definitely on to the game, but it was a great memory, and the area was quiet enough to feel like we had the place to ourselves, which was...well, magical. :D

We didn't get any photos of the moment itself, but we got a photopass photog in front of the castle before, and as soon we we finished basking in the moment, we went to the same photographer for another photo. So we have a fun before and after set.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup, the race workers were trying to usher me through while I was fumbling with the ring and trying to explain what I was doing, it was kind of a mess haha. We trained and ran the whole thing together (it was our first half) until the last mile and I made up an excuse that my leg was cramping and I had to finish fast and ran ahead.

This is awesome. We're runners too, and I like to say that the last tenth of a mile justifies the rest of the race. Absurdly good vibes at the finish line.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Asehujiko posted:

Goliath at Walibi Holland(not to be confused with the half a dozen or so rides with the same name in the US) has this standing outside the queue:

In case the compression makes the English text below the Dutch unreadable, it says "remove loose articles from your pockets or Goliath will do it for you".

I always make it a point to wear shorts with zippable pockets when I'm going to ride roller coasters.

I did forget to take my hat off once on Tower of Terror. Fortunately, it went straight up (or, rather, stayed straight up) and fell in my lap, so I sheepishly grabbed and pocketed it mid-ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It's a shame the pic wasn't snapped as your hat came up off your head!