Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

two left feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
And now... the final Modesty Blaise

I wish I could say I'd written up something fancy to commemorate our duo literally walking off into the sunset, but I didn't. I will say it's been a pleasure sharing these stories; special thanks to kammat for starting me on this journey. I have no plans to start over from the beginning at this time, but if you want to see a particular story again, I can probably dig it up.

I was thinking about adding some more John Allison to the thread, but I think we've got four or five different stories from different posters running concurrently, so I'll lay low until one of those runs its course.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, Curtis' dad should be teaching him to support local credit unions wherever possible.

His dad is a public employee in NYC! There's definitely multiple credit unions he could join!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Transmodiar posted:

I wish I could say I'd written up something fancy to commemorate our duo literally walking off into the sunset, but I didn't. I will say it's been a pleasure sharing these stories; special thanks to kammat for starting me on this journey. I have no plans to start over from the beginning at this time, but if you want to see a particular story again, I can probably dig it up.

I was thinking about adding some more John Allison to the thread, but I think we've got four or five different stories from different posters running concurrently, so I'll lay low until one of those runs its course.

I'm really grateful for this thread getting me into the Modesty Blaise comics (as well as the John Allison comics, but that another story). This final story was in one of the collections I recently purchased, but I held off on reading it since I wanted to experience it with the rest of this thread.

Of course while this is the final Modesty Blaise comic, it's not the final Modesty Blaise story. That would be the short story Cobra Trap found in the book of the same name. I've heard that some fans refuse to read it, although the story, and the book itself, does wrap up Modesty and her world in satisfactory way.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Transmodiar posted:

Thank you for posting these, I've enjoyed them very much.

Also please do not donate to the Salvation Army they're absolutely terrible

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

ok I had to google this

has anyone else never heard the term can lighting?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've heard it more commonly as recessed lighting but if you told me your new kitchen had can lighting I'd have known what you meant.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Julet Esqu posted:

That's not what mansplaining is.

1. Bernice, future therapist, does not comprehend the value of human expression.

2. Did Greg really put a butt in today's funnies

3. The walls of the museum are reconfiguring themselves between panels.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Transmodiar posted:

Thanks for posting all these. I've really enjoyed them.

And I think that was a nice ending for the strip. Considering it's basically "That's all you get, bye!" I'm surprisingly satisfied with it.

you broke my grill posted:

ok I had to google this

Huxley posted:

I've heard it more commonly as recessed lighting but if you told me your new kitchen had can lighting I'd have known what you meant.
Same here, but I don't understand why there are actual cans hanging from the ceiling seemingly with no rhyme or reason.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

There's a purestrain Encyclopedia-Brown-ing right there. "A person with glasses would never accept the very slight inconvenience of including a mask in their elaborate costume! Never!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Bloop posted:

two left feet

Well, they never said they were good at dancing!

I do hope they manage to get through the toughness, poor wee soul (at the risk of sounding disgustingly patronising).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

1. Bernice, future therapist, does not comprehend the value of human expression.
loving hell, Bernice, all art has a loving purpose! Maybe it's just to entertain someone or to feel good about making things!

Oh wait, I just realized. Bernice can't comprehend the idea of feeling good about things. That explains so much.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Deeply considering throwing an enormous amount of money at Fantagraphics. Those Valiant collections look incredible.

They are excellent.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

When you become a Horse Rear, it is a binding magical contract. You are a Horse Rear for LIFE.

Given that I have a magnifying glass on my bedside table that I'll use to check my phone in the middle of the night instead of putting my glasses back on, I'm guessing Sherlock.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
is bernice ever not terrible about anything? good lord

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Julet Esqu posted:

That's not what mansplaining is.

2. Did Greg really put a butt in today's funnies

I hope that's a finger.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bernice must have done art at some point during school. She must have had some sort of exposure to what fine art is and why people do it. Her best/only friend studies it. That is how the emotionally dead idiot-boy knows who she is.

Is she meant to be properly unhinged? Is that why nobody has told her how bad she is at basic psychology despite apparently being mid-way through a degree? Maybe she killed Delta for questioning her grasp of the human condition and that's why she was never seen again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The answer to every question about Luann is that the Evans hate few things as much as science, but hoo boy is art right up there.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (October 30, 1992)

oof

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Golden Tail

"I think we made an enormous impression on them."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"This is the only way to make a dignified exit." :allears:

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

Thank you so much for posting these! I would never have heard of Modesty Blaise without you.

And I'm so happy because I KNEW this was the last story, and I made sure I didn't spoil the ending for myself, and I thought they both probably died, so wow, I'm so happy!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Bernice would make more sense if she was actually a robot trying to learn to be human

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Transmodiar posted:

In turn I want to thank Bitchtits McGee who I believe started putting the series in the threads way way back around 2013 or so. It's been one heck of a read.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ok I had to google this

I mostly know the term from McMansion Hell and the Can/Small Pox jokes.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 13, 1933)

Peanuts (May 22, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 18, 1937)

Out Our Way (August 20-22, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (August 9-11, 1917)

Dok's "When The Captain Blows The Whistle, Answer The Call" Duck (August 10, 1913)

I sort of missed the specifics of what the shooting was all about, but considering that Venezuela was an emerging oil producer in the pre-WW1 era, I can take a wild guess.

And now...a thing that I found.

On October 8, 1934, future comic book artist Maurice del Bourgo, under the pen name "del", launched a strip which in many ways was intended as an opposition response to the mega-capitalism of Little Orphan Annie and some of the sociopolitical tendencies of Skippy.

So far, so good, but there's a twist here: the strip we're talking about appeared in the Daily Worker, the New York-based central organ of the Communist Party of the United States of America. It's hard to get more lefty than that during the Depression, but through the 1930s the Worker was developing a general news editorial style, with a sports page, movie reviews, radio listings, and, yes, even comic strips. So rather than present itself as part of an "alternative press" scene, the Depression-era Daily Worker was trying to position itself as a general newspaper...just one with an unusually hard editorial slant. For instance, their idea of a 1930s Sunday comic was an adaptation of Sinclair Lewis's It Can't Happen Here.

Which brings us back to del Bourgo's strip, which wore the ridiculously on-the-nose title Little Lefty. At least in the early going, there's an earnestness to the politics of the whole operation which gives off the aura of what it'd be like if the continuity era of Stephanie McMillan's Minimum Security got unstuck in time and woke up one morning in a between-the-wars flophouse.

And dammit, sometimes I really miss MiniSec...for all the wrong reasons, but there, I said it. So I felt compelled to read a shitload of these last night, and in that spirit I open the floor for an evaluation.

I don't know how far I'm gonna go with this, but that first strip lays down a gauntlet. And a few trademark violations.

(October 8-10, 1934)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 20, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

We get it. Your dumb theater has to close. Jesus Christ.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set should probably call a professional.

Working Daze assumes I know who this is?

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is up front about it.

Cul De Sac liked that part where it was doing something it liked.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Animal Backlog

So there's a bunch of these that are on the Comics Kingdom website as back installments that line up with ones on Green's main website, and I don't have a CK account because gently caress that, so I'm just gonna go through Green's website for what I presume to actually be back installments. Also I don't think most of these back installments will ever actually be on CK on account of language.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

...in which we discover Sally's mom lives in a Dionaea House.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Sep 26-27, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 15-18, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
ahhhh, wish i liked these KC Green comics

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

riderchop posted:

ahhhh, wish i liked these KC Green comics

Ya dead, dude.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

ok I had to google this

I've heard of can lighting in theater, but if you said you had can lighting in your home I'd probably guess at recessed ceiling lights.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Green Intern posted:

I've heard of can lighting in theater, but if you said you had can lighting in your home I'd probably guess at recessed ceiling lights.

I've heard recessed lights called cans or pots, or flush mount lights.

e. it's a lovely comic

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I look forward to more of little lefty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons