Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Is there a mod that makes the jobs-button toggle off the "follow" command? It works for my modded animals, but not for characters.

I just want to pause jobs fcs.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

MinutePirateBug posted:

Kenshi 2 is going to be a janky mess, but I've found the games I put the most hours into and like the most are all janky messes.

Considering the development process of Kenshi and the guy's incredible commitment to the gimmick, I don't think so, he accomplished so much with so little and now he has like fifty million dollars.
E: most of Kenshi's jank comes from the dev process being done almost entirely by the one guy and his complete brokeness, not because he didn't know what he was doing

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 17, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wasn't he a security guard doing it as a hobby project in his own time?

That very much sounds like "dedicated guy who didn't know what he was doing but he is pretty good anyway".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

he was a professional programmer before he started work on Kenshi, really really really wanted to make this game, and took the security guard job so he could do it full time with nobody bothering him and live off of ramen basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xExgudU_g

reddit AMA with Chris Hunt if you're into that

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/cnmwen/my_names_chris_hunt_game_developer_behind_kenshi/

e: keep in mind that at the time he started there wasn't really a public game developer education pipeline

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 17, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its sheer insanity to me that they even considered for a second to keep re-using OGRE for Kenshi 2. Even if its a newer version, I feel like it'd be a technical mess.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

MinutePirateBug posted:

Kenshi 2 is going to be a janky mess, but I've found the games I put the most hours into and like the most are all janky messes.

If Kenshi 2 isn't janky on its own, there'll probably be plenty of mods to bring back the jank.

And remembering an example of the kind of inconsistencies I mentioned yesterday, there's a fun corner-case I discovered while doing bank heist in Heng/Edge: apparently the issue is that Trader's Guild is allied to both UC and Slave traders... but for some reason the Manhunters/Slavehunters, who will enslave anyone that isn't their friend, are friendly to Slavers and nobody else. (also seems that Manhunters and Slave Hunters aren't even friends with eachother, even though they're both functionally subsidiaries of the slaver guild. also why do they need to be two separate factions just to have different sets of uniforms? wtf design choices abound.)

So where's this going? The guards at the bank are part of the Trader's Guild and after I knocked them out and dumped them in an alley, some roaming slavehunter shackled them. Which led to the unusual situation of there being ~3 slaves who were members of the Trader's Guild faction, following their owner according to the slave AI routine, in a city that is technically Trader's Guild jurisdiction and full of their soldiers and allied forces. So when the caravan got outside the city and the caravan boss+guards got distracted by rebels, one of the slaves decided to try to escape, which gave them the [escaped slave] criminal tag. Since they made their escape attempt right in front of the UC gate guards the UC police immediately started attacking the escapee; this caused all the nearby Trader's Guild guards to [defend ally] and assist, which led to a big stupid clusterfuck of everyone-vs-everyone fighting in the streets. At least one trade caravan got involved, and a UC patrol, and during the course of the brawl occasionally someone would enter a building and aggro the shopkeeper's guards. (At some point Longen's bodyguards joined in, but I'm not sure what would've happened if Longen himself had gotten arrested/killed/enslaved, or if [diplomatic status] magically grants immunity to NPC aggro.)

TLDR go clubbing with a mallcop and start a civil war, then watch the fireworks while casually dragging 3 quantumbackpackmans loaded with tons of pearls and hash over to your shinobi pals.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 17, 2021

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Kenshi shenenegains

:allears: Things like this bring a smile to my face.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Considering the development process of Kenshi and the guy's incredible commitment to the gimmick, I don't think so, he accomplished so much with so little and now he has like fifty million dollars.
E: most of Kenshi's jank comes from the dev process being done almost entirely by the one guy and his complete brokeness, not because he didn't know what he was doing

everything you've reported make me far less optimistic on how interesting Kenshi 2 will be for me personally

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

MinutePirateBug posted:

everything you've reported make me far less optimistic on how interesting Kenshi 2 will be for me personally

Lo-Fi Studios is still for all intents and purposes pretty lo-fi by game developer studio standards.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just because you have 50 million dollars doesn't mean you should go out and blow it all immediately.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good beginner's guide or set of videos to help get into Kenshi? I wanna give it a go, but it's very overwhelming...

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_nd4lJtTcs

Tobel's kenshi stuff is really good and informative.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Any general non-spoiler things I should know as a complete newbie going into this?

Get enslaved. It'll be fine.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Also, what everyone else said. Any fight that doesn't result in you getting eaten is a good fight that resulted in stat improvements. And have a unit that can hang back and then rescue anyone bleeding out.

Also also, you really don't need those meaty limbs. Don't worry about losing them.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 19, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Flesh Forge posted:

he was a professional programmer before he started work on Kenshi, really really really wanted to make this game, and took the security guard job so he could do it full time with nobody bothering him and live off of ramen basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xExgudU_g

This was a really good watch.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Double Decker Dustie Djuges you

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a good beginner's guide or set of videos to help get into Kenshi? I wanna give it a go, but it's very overwhelming...

Being enslaved or imprisoned and the process of attempting to escape really is one of the best ways to get into kenshi. The rebirth slave start is really satisfying especially if you escape north.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What’s cool about the game is that there isn’t any need to optimize in order to not miss out on content and you gain skills but just doing things.

So getting beat up actually makes you better at getting beat up. Losing isn’t actually losing unless you die. Coming back from the brink of death doesn’t leave you behind the curve like in most games, it leaves you stronger in the end.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What’s cool about the game is that there isn’t any need to optimize in order to not miss out on content and you gain skills but just doing things.

So getting beat up actually makes you better at getting beat up. Losing isn’t actually losing unless you die. Coming back from the brink of death doesn’t leave you behind the curve like in most games, it leaves you stronger in the end.

Ya the mechanics are really really good and it encourages you to get into interesting situations and get in over your head, and that produces interesting internal stories.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just smash your action figures against some scrub action figures to see how they stack up. Don't do that to Beak Thing or anything that will eat your action figures.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

... until it is appropriate to do it to the beak things and then do it to them all the time.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
so.. Bandits expansion, Hiver expansion Shek and so on got rolled into "Universal wasteland expansion" which is nice,
rebuilds the hub, which, by using the conquest mod, you get all the buildings and interiours, which jumpstarts you a bit, grab tame beasties, pop open the fcs and add the "tame generic" dialogue to whatever squads you like, usually bandito's, (not traders, this breaks their trade ability, and not bounty dudes, for the same), and go to town.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That's sort of true.

There are a few really gamey things. Like, the best way to learn toughness is to run out and get yourself beaten up repeatedly by mobs of bandits. Gettijg skills to high level requires capturing a high level enemy and just beating and healing them repeatedly.

You don't have to do any of that of course but the *optimal* strats are a bit janky.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that isn't really true, you don't need toughness at all to do anything but get beaten up. it's just a practice-based skill mechanic like any other. toughness doesn't help you bonk the UC king in the head, or master breadmaker, or sneak into beak thing nests and steal their eggs or whatever else.
e: and aside from that you don't need to do any of that fight club poo poo anyway you can just go fight beak things with your bare hands like a hero

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh sure it's an open world game you don't *have* to do anything

But the best way to level stealth and strength into the high 80s quickly and efficiently is to set your dudes to mine and haul iron and copper ore around squint, set them all to stealth mode, save your game, then go watch a movie and come back when it's done

You obviously don't have to do that! But it's more effective by far than, say, stealthing around manually for a few hours.

Similarly the best way to raise stealing is to find an unobserved spot with an owned item and just pick it up and drop it over and over again until your stealing is arbitrarily high

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guys, we get it, its the dusk kings tower, we dont need interpretive dance...

When I first got started, due to some rando mod, i found a mob of slaves between the hub and the tiny village, like, 30-40 rando's just standing there, i suppose a slave caravan got nuked by an iron spider or something.
whenever I start a game recently, I use the save after recruiting a bunch of crazy ninja's. about 40 in game days in, after my core rando's mined a shitton of copper and made a few copeks.
As I have gotten back into modding as well, Ive been merging qol mods together like stacking and recruiting.

I did explore a bit, and after wiping out Okran horde, I guess I'll make some trade caravans.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But the best way to level stealth and strength into the high 80s quickly and efficiently is to set your dudes to mine and haul iron and copper ore around squint, set them all to stealth mode, save your game, then go watch a movie and come back when it's done

You obviously don't have to do that! But it's more effective by far than, say, stealthing around manually for a few hours.

Similarly the best way to raise stealing is to find an unobserved spot with an owned item and just pick it up and drop it over and over again until your stealing is arbitrarily high

lol you don't have to do any of this unfun poo poo, if you went out of your way to convince yourself these are the "best" ways to do anything in a game you're coming at it from a very different direction from most players.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The most fun way to level up strength to the high 80s is running around with a meitou heavy weapons and baseball swinging at dudes is fun to watch. The most fun way to level up stealth is stealing from nobles and bonking slaver caravans.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FrickenMoron posted:

Its sheer insanity to me that they even considered for a second to keep re-using OGRE for Kenshi 2. Even if its a newer version, I feel like it'd be a technical mess.

He also put it up to a vote whether fans wanted him to completely replace the Kenshi 1 engine or if he should just start work on Kenshi 2.

Like, dude.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

MinutePirateBug posted:

The most fun way to level up strength to the high 80s is running around with a meitou heavy weapons and baseball swinging at dudes is fun to watch. The most fun way to level up stealth is stealing from nobles and bonking slaver caravans.

seriously, the game bends over backwards to make failure states into actually winning states and if you're playing the game in this highly circumscribed "only take squad out of base when everyone has 80+ all skills" you really loving missed the point of the game, but y'know, whatever is fun for you :shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wouldn't go that far. That's only really the case in the holy nation, everywhere else has poo poo that'll eat you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you have a squad of more than one PCs and you manage to wipe and all of them get eaten I don't know what to tell you, run away sooner and maybe it's OK to lose a single guy

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Flesh Forge posted:

If you have a squad of more than one PCs and you manage to wipe and all of them get eaten I don't know what to tell you, run away sooner and maybe it's OK to lose a single guy

Yeah when you get your rear end handed to you in a way you didn't expect/intend, generally that's when you're supposed to reflect on what happened and figure out whether there's a lesson you should be learning.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
The game is pretty forgiving even in zones where there are things that will eat you. It is pretty rare to be a situation where at least one squad member isn't in a position to start rescuing people, and that rescue process and its complications are usually really fun. This is harder in Venge and doesn't really apply to Sonorous Dark, but the moments I remember most fondly when I was just getting into the game was smuggling hash from the swamp through Venge into Henge, with a low level party, and the disasters that would befall me on the way. The logistics in attempting to recover while praying not to be blasted by lazers or eaten too quickly, is really fun.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I have about 28 different save files that are just legs of some Venge run or another.

Venge
Venge2
Veeeeenge

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Flesh Forge posted:

it feels super bad to lose someone that you have probably put a fair bit of effort into by the time they get ate, which leads into the obvious question of "how can i not get ate" which leads into the further question of how you can get stats

feels like you're being really goony and dismissive about what is objectively a flaw in the game's loop, that a lot of these things feel required to not get literally gutted by a lot of the game's actors. the nutty thing is, it doesn't even require anything too outlandish to fix forever. a generic training lounge where you can assign a teacher and a student, and the teacher slowly brings the student's stats and skills up to their level, would make it so a lot of this jank poo poo is actually extremely optional as you can just go play the game the fun way to raise someone up and then assign them as a teacher to get a cool buddy to roll with.

but this isn't to be in kenshi, sads

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

I have about 28 different save files that are just legs of some Venge run or another.

Venge
Venge2
Veeeeenge

good times were had in venge

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What's wrong with Venge? You just have to dress for the weather, something like dustcoat and armoured hood, and the robots there are pushovers.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

What's wrong with Venge? You just have to dress for the weather, something like dustcoat and armoured hood, and the robots there are pushovers.

Nothing is wrong with Venge. On the western edge of venge you have lots of beak things + not having the right gear, results in interesting experiences when you first encounter it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah i'm not saying there isn't a way to fix it, i'm just saying that its not a case of "The game bends over backwards to make failure states into winning states".

Ofc now i've got like 400 hours I can break it over my knee, but as a newer player i absolutely got murdered a lot. Then you have parts of the map that introduce new and exciting things to kill you (cannibals, fog men) or towers full of robot spiders that can take good troops and collapse their chest in a single strike.