Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Farecoal posted:

The Distant Lands generator in MGE-XE is supposed to increase the draw distance, right? Because this is what I see right now:

I rested for a day and got the same thing. Am I just having bad luck with foggy weather?

It's a sign from the gods to not use blasphemous graphics rendering mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Its eco adjuster doing it btw

Yeah I took it out and it seemed fixed, then I looked on the mod's page and it specifically mentions the ... greetings.. gently caress that. That plus harder barter seems like a bit too much of a funsponge for me anyway, and that BTB mod come to think of it.

I think that's enough to be getting on with anyway. My actual first playthrough of this was near-vanilla through openmw when I didn't have a windows PC so I'm looking forward to experiencing the exact opposite end of that spectrum (I guess the exact opposite end would be dong mods and loverslab but that's just not cricket)

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 19, 2021

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is it possible to add MULE to a game in progress? I'll miss the level up messages but it seems like a better system

And thanks for the help with the Balmora weather, I'll try it when I'm back home

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Proletarian Mango posted:

Not really, no.

Given this is your first time playing Morrowind, just follow Part 1 of the Morrowind Improved guide to get set up with a stable base game. That page will walk you through installing community patches, mod organizer, MGEXE, and high-res textures. Then after that I would install MULE because the original leveling system is pretty whack at this point and MULE is a good upgrade.

After that just play the game and figure out what you don't like and want changed from there.

e: OP isn't bad, it's just kinda bloated and it has a number of outdated mods that have been superseded by newer, better implementations.

I just want to concur that this is a very good guide and that following just Part 1 will give you a very good Vanilla+ sort of experience. My only complaint is that it includes this run fix, which normalizes movement rates and makes it so that you don't move 41% faster when running diagonally. Is it even really Morrowind anymore when running diagonally isn't faster? (By which I mean: This is a good mod and my brain is broken from playing too much Morrowind without it.)

I'd also recommend giving the original leveling system a try if you're interested in what the experience was way back when. If you're just looking for a good game now, by all means, use MULE, it's good. But if part of what you're after is "I didn't play this 18 years ago when it was all the rage. What got people interested then? What did they tolerate because there was nothing better?" try out the original leveling system. ("Pretty whack" is not incorrect.) In Oblivion, Morrowind's sequel, it was possible to gently caress up and get less powerful as you leveled up (effectively). This is not the case in Morrowind. The system is just bizarre, not harmful.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Is it possible to add MULE to a game in progress? I'll miss the level up messages but it seems like a better system

And thanks for the help with the Balmora weather, I'll try it when I'm back home

Yes and also you will still get levelup messages

If you want vanilla esque leveling I highly recommend Linoras Leveling mod, which just provides a flat 3,4, or 5 bonus to your selected attributes, depending on which you install. The +3 or +4 is a much more balanced compromise compared to the +5

mbt fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 19, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Doc Fission posted:

Hi everyone, I've never played Morrowind and would like to start. Is the OP mod rec list still good?

I'm not sure what's in that Morrowind guide that's been linked to you, but just on a personal note, you'll probably want a "friendly cliff racers" mod that won't delete cliff racers from the game outright but will make them non-aggressive so you don't have to fight a slow flying pterodactyl every 15 feet. Just saying.

Also, without any melee system or weapon skills mods, yes you will miss an absurdly high number of melee hits even if the weapon clips through the enemy's face. Your game isn't broken, that's just vanilla Morrowind combat. Might want a mod to eliminate or at least severely lower the hit failure rate.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 19, 2021

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
This is my first time playing Morrowind and I got the non-aggressive animals mod. Makes me feel a little bad killing mudcrabs just minding their own business but hey I gotta level up somehow

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I prefer LLM for leveling because I like the level-up messages. I strongly recommend a mod that gets rid of the trainer use limitation too, it's one of the dumbest things in TES and spending time grinding out skills late game because you didn't optimize spending money to train them as you leveled is a loving stupid concept.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm not sure what's in that Morrowind guide that's been linked to you, but just on a personal note, you'll probably want a "friendly cliff racers" mod that won't delete cliff racers from the game outright but will make them non-aggressive so you don't have to fight a slow flying pterodactyl every 15 feet. Just saying.

Also, without any melee system or weapon skills mods, yes you will miss an absurdly high number of melee hits even if the weapon clips through the enemy's face. Your game isn't broken, that's just vanilla Morrowind combat. Might want a mod to eliminate or at least severely lower the hit failure rate.

Can you really say you've played Morrowind without dealing with the cliff racers?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GreatGreen posted:

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Can you really say you've played Morrowind without dealing with the cliff racers?

I feel the same about the miss rate.

Also if you up the hit rate of enemies in addition to yourself you die a lot quicker at low levels.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

K8.0 posted:

I prefer LLM for leveling because I like the level-up messages. I strongly recommend a mod that gets rid of the trainer use limitation too, it's one of the dumbest things in TES and spending time grinding out skills late game because you didn't optimize spending money to train them as you leveled is a loving stupid concept.

Morrowind doesnt have training limits (besides skill must be > attribute) and MULE has level-up messages!!!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not really, no.

Given this is your first time playing Morrowind, just follow Part 1 of the Morrowind Improved guide to get set up with a stable base game. That page will walk you through installing community patches, mod organizer, MGEXE, and high-res textures. Then after that I would install MULE because the original leveling system is pretty whack at this point and MULE is a good upgrade.

After that just play the game and figure out what you don't like and want changed from there.

e: OP isn't bad, it's just kinda bloated and it has a number of outdated mods that have been superseded by newer, better implementations.

Yeah do this. I used the OP for my first setup and ended up with an enormous unplayable crashmess. Then I redid following Morrowind++ and it's been smooth sailing, even when I've added more to it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Morrowind doesnt have training limits (besides skill must be > attribute) and MULE has level-up messages!!!!

Well ignore me then because I'm a professional idiot. I do remember not liking something about MULE last time I considered it, though. Might just be because I believe that less is more with Morrowind mods.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Well ignore me then because I'm a professional idiot. I do remember not liking something about MULE last time I considered it, though. Might just be because I believe that less is more with Morrowind mods.

Yeah... less level up messages!!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Level up messages start getting sad

Level15=Today you suddenly realized the life you've been living, the punishment your body has taken -- there are limits to what the body can do, and perhaps you have reached them. You've wondered what it is like to grow old. Well, now you know.

Level16=You've been trying too hard, thinking too much. Relax. Trust your instincts. Just be yourself. Do the little things, and the big things take care of themselves.

Level17=Life isn't over. You can still get smarter, or cleverer, or more experienced, or meaner -- but your body and soul just aren't going to get any younger.

Level18=The challenge now is to stay at the peak as long as you can. You may be as strong today as any mortal who has ever walked the earth, but there's always someone younger, a new challenger.

Level19=You're really good. Maybe the best. And that's why it's so hard to get better. But you just keep trying, because that's the way you are.

Level20=You'll never be better than you are today. If you are lucky, by superhuman effort, you can avoid slipping backwards for a while. But sooner or later, you're going to lose a step, or drop a beat, or miss a detail -- and you'll be gone forever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Level15=Today you suddenly realized the life you've been living, the punishment your body has taken -- there are limits to what the body can do, and perhaps you have reached them. You've wondered what it is like to grow old. Well, now you know.

Level16=You've been trying too hard, thinking too much. Relax. Trust your instincts. Just be yourself. Do the little things, and the big things take care of themselves.

Level17=Life isn't over. You can still get smarter, or cleverer, or more experienced, or meaner -- but your body and soul just aren't going to get any younger.

Level18=The challenge now is to stay at the peak as long as you can. You may be as strong today as any mortal who has ever walked the earth, but there's always someone younger, a new challenger.

Level19=You're really good. Maybe the best. And that's why it's so hard to get better. But you just keep trying, because that's the way you are.

Level20=You'll never be better than you are today. If you are lucky, by superhuman effort, you can avoid slipping backwards for a while. But sooner or later, you're going to lose a step, or drop a beat, or miss a detail -- and you'll be gone forever.

Wait, really? I'm at level 14 now.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Level21=Your best years are already behind you, there's nothing else to look forward to, you might as well just kill yourself already you wretched piece of poo poo.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Bethesda really, REALLY expected players to max out at level 20. Somehow expected most players to spend MOST of their time in the game around level 5-10, 15 maybe? The messages imply that you'll have had to have been in Morrowind for years to reach level 20. And, most of the vanilla content is scaled to players around levels 8-16. (shameless plug of that's what I made MDMD to fix since player characters tend to get to level 30 comfortably without stuff like proportional progression)

It really makes me wonder about how WEIRD Morrowind must have been in its early development. We know they wanted to do the entire province with most cells being dynamically generated rather than hand-built. The Monthly Respawn is default to 3 months, which means it takes 3 months for plants you harvest to regrow without mods.

It feels like the early ideas of Morrowind were leaning more to like Daggerfall, where you could actually spend a year or two in-character instead of, I don't know about you but it's an incredible milestone for me when it's Sun's Dusk and one of my characters isn't level 30, most of the quests are done, and I'm ready to move on to a new character.

And it's great and only sometimes frustrating when things like the level-up messages sneak in that suggest at an entirely different experience of game

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i imagine that some of the emphasis on level 20 is a relic from the days when tamriel was a campaign setting, not a game world. can't you just picture a DM coming up with these kind of cheesy lines about mortality and aging and strength, and reading them to the party every time they level up?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jazerus posted:

i imagine that some of the emphasis on level 20 is a relic from the days when tamriel was a campaign setting, not a game world. can't you just picture a DM coming up with these kind of cheesy lines about mortality and aging and strength, and reading them to the party every time they level up?

I was gonna make a point about how far apart Arena (which very obviously borrows a poo poo ton from D&D) and Morrowind (which, at least in terms of game mechanics had completely divested itself from D&D) were from each other, but they're only 8 years apart. We are almost 2.5 times farther away from Morrowind than Morrowind was from Arena. gently caress, it's been longer since Skyrim first came out than it was between Arena and Morrowind.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

FlocksOfMice posted:

It feels like the early ideas of Morrowind were leaning more to like Daggerfall, where you could actually spend a year or two in-character instead of, I don't know about you but it's an incredible milestone for me when it's Sun's Dusk and one of my characters isn't level 30, most of the quests are done, and I'm ready to move on to a new character.

Is that a month after game start?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Is that a month after game start?

The game starts in the middle of Last Seed, followed by Hearthfire, Frostfall, Sun's Dusk

Most of my characters, over the entire two decades of my playing this game, have usually run out of steam or finished the game in Frostfall

I've had like... two characters this past year, with all the tons of new mods that've come out, that have made it to Sun's Dusk

One actually ended on Evening Star, but all that was left with THAT one at that point was the rest of the main quest, which wasn't the focus of that playthrough

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

morrowind's level up messages are one of my favorite parts of it

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

My characters still ended up in the 50s before I'd retire them

E: I mean there should be more

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My characters still ended up in the 50s before I'd retire them

You can add more. They're all in the .ini.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

there is a mod for that, and it's included with Class-Conscious Character Progression

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

GorfZaplen posted:

You can add more. They're all in the .ini.

Level 57= who the gently caress is scraeming "RETIRE" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never retire

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So should we replace all of Vivec or Dagoth Ur's lines with dril

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i should make a simple lua mod that decreases skill leveling speed every level. a 0.97^n modifier to experience, so at 20 it takes nearly double the experience

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

the whole tribunal plus dagoth ur imo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

You have hit level 20!

no.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Food 200
Hammers 150
Rent 800
Ash Statues 3,600
Robes 150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my sixth house is dying

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

i should make a simple lua mod that decreases skill leveling speed every level. a 0.97^n modifier to experience, so at 20 it takes nearly double the experience

The hard part is already done. There's a mod Proportional Progression that I use for basically the exact opposite purpose. It natively allows you to adjust leveling speed by a global multiplier, a skill-specific multiplier, a multiplier based on overall player level, and a multiplier based on the skill's level.

I added a small section:
code:
	-- Normalize skill gain over 50. As skills slow down linearly, multiply the xp gain linearly.
	if (config.normalize) then
		s = tes3.getMobilePlayer().skills[skillId+1].base
		-- changed 100 to 50 because 100 felt slow
		if (s > 50) then
			modifier = modifier * s / 50
		end
	end
Morrowind skill XP scales linearly (unlike the later TES games), so the amount of XP required to level is directly proportional to the level. So I just normalize it to the leveling speed at 50 by just multiplying the XP given by skill / 50. Now every skill over 50 levels at the same rate.

It would be easy to do the opposite and multiply the modifier by 0.97^skill.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

morrowind's level up messages are one of my favorite parts of it

close second for me, right behind the Vampirism nightmares

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I don't know if I mentioned that I'm playing for the first time. I chose a Khajit and went with Spellsword for my class. Did I gimp myself or does it not really matter that much?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It really doesn't matter, any character will become god in Morrowind eventually. Your class doesn't actually limit anything, it just affects the way leveling works.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

steel rear end. upgradable to dwarven rear end. upgradable to bonemold rear end. upgradable to daedric rear end. upgradable to ALMSIVI (Tribunal)-infinity rear end

Orv
May 4, 2011
Left cheek bonemould, right cheek daedric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007