Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

That's insanely good pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

I can’t see a regular cab being an option though.

Well that would put it around the price of the base hybrid which I don't see being an option either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yahoo pulled the article. It's almost definitely legit.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

drat thats a nice frunk loadout too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Yeah that's smart to have it open like that. And it will have the onboard inverter to power your stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That frunk broke my brain, it’s so different. Awesome tho.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

That frunk broke my brain, it’s so different. Awesome tho.

Same, holy poo poo.

Man, having a trunk on a truck is like best of both worlds. Toss your expensive tools up there and forgo a bed-wetting toolbox or canopy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Same, holy poo poo.

Man, having a trunk on a truck is like best of both worlds. Toss your expensive tools up there and forgo a bed-wetting toolbox or canopy.

Business in the front, party in the back.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lmao if this is cheaper than a loving ev6.

Am i buying a god damned EV truck1??!?!??

That frunk really owns.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I have waited so long for work viable evs. Im not sure I’m ready for this tonight lol.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

lmao if this is cheaper than a loving ev6.

Am i buying a god damned EV truck1??!?!??

That frunk really owns.

Ugh same. That is amazing looking. Everyone will do a double take.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah alright this loving owns.

Now build us a 450 and i'll be buying one. If not, I'll build one from parts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ford gonna sell so many of those things at that price and features. The EV credit still applies to Ford ATM doesnt it?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ford gonna sell so many of those things at that price and features. The EV credit still applies to Ford ATM doesnt it?

Only source I found only has data from June 2020, but they've still got 76k to hit 200,000 from that source so yeah they've got plenty of credits.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The full amount, yeah.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Wow, yeah, I never really even thought of there being a frunk, but there's a lot of space up there with no V8. Kind of addresses the one big problem with pickups, no locking trunk.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
That price has to be some range-reduced stripper model. There’s no way they’d make any money selling that much lipo that cheaply

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
It's 230 miles for the 40k. 300 for the 53k version.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The 53k was the middle range version. Not sure if that 300miles or inbetween.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

particle9 posted:

Will be interesting to see what trim and configuration that's in.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

This is gonna clean house on the market, Ford will be selling every truck they can make for a decade. (so business as usual)

I LOVE that frunk. Goddamn.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When can I open palm slam a reservation/pre-order button

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Found this absolute wonder of a comment while looking for info on the Lightning’s range

Someone please explain to me why nobody has invented a perpetual motion machine?!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Well i mean, regenerative braking is basically magic to me.

Bringing it back around to workEV stuff. JLG is releasing a li-ion powered scissor lift that will use regeneration tech to recharge the battery every time you bring the carriage back down. I love how the tech is creeping out of autos and into general construction equipment.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I've had more than one person, fairly intelligent and skilled in their trades, bring up perpetual motion machines in conversations with me when talking about my EV (I'm the first and only person driving an EV at my workplace). I'm going to make up excuses like "elementary physics was a long time ago in a different field" for them.

That E-F150 frunk is amazing. I would totally buy one of those if I wanted a truck, but I'm quite happy and satisfied with my 3 and don't need a truck. (I would also buy a cybertruck, even if I have determined that it does indeed look both stupid and awesome.)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im really hoping ford leans into this and directly compares its performance directly to the standard 150. Show all the tough guys that their sissy ice trucks cant hack it with the big boys.

God I want to buy one for work already.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

They won't, but they'll dunk on Toyota and RAM probably.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

particle9 posted:

That is model 3 range vs pricing more or less, but a truck. how is that possible..

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

That is model 3 range vs pricing more or less, but a truck. how is that possible..

Using an existing paid for ICE derived platform instead of a ground up new design.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And economies of scale. They already make like a million of those cabs and frames every year.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

cursedshitbox posted:

Using an existing paid for ICE derived platform instead of a ground up new design.

Exactly. The frame and suspension that the Lightning is using is basically the same as that of the 2015 F-150.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

How about the Kia Niro EV then. Adding this vehicle to the $40k EV market is just bananas. It will need a battery at least 50% larger than the rest of the cars in that segment to hit those range figures.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When’s the electric raptor come out

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

How about the Kia Niro EV then. Adding this vehicle to the $40k EV market is just bananas. It will need a battery at least 50% larger than the rest of the cars in that segment to hit those range figures.

Beats me I don't know poo poo about it. If you have some documentation on the ICE vs EV variants with exploded diagrams or cad drawings I'd be happy to pour over them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

YT link is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjisj5T0VqE

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Beats me I don't know poo poo about it. If you have some documentation on the ICE vs EV variants with exploded diagrams or cad drawings I'd be happy to pour over them.

I'm just kind of bewildered about the whole thing. Ford has either sourced batteries at a very low cost, or is putting this drivetrain into the most stripper of stripped out XL models for 40k, or is playing some bullshit Tesla style games by presenting the price after tax credit. None of those things seem particularly likely though. Am really looking forward to the reveal in 30 mins.

Edit: Actually the XL model might make sense. 20k battery and 20k for the rest of the truck would be doable for them maybe.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 20, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol yeah you're not getting a Platinum for 40k. Vinyl bench, Incandescent headlights, and a huge frunk is in!

their mid tier at 55k might have XLT/King Ranch stuff going on with another priced above that for Platinum.

E: I've not priced out the 150 line lately, its a good 40-50k difference on the 450/550s between XL and Platinum.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 20, 2021

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The real answer is probably that the lowest-cost lowest-range model has a sub-200km (125mi) range, just like the Electric Transit that they're building for commercial buyers*. A bunch of people in this thread are making big assumptions about what the range will be on consumer models*.

* by which I mean there's a fair change that the lowest price range of the Lightning will only be available if you're buying at least 150 of them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

but dont Teslas catch fire way more than other EV?

This post from the USPOL thread in d&d made me wonder what the answer is. I would guess more Teslas have caught fire due to collisions, but that more Bolts have caught fire while stationary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

This post from the USPOL thread in d&d made me wonder what the answer is. I would guess more Teslas have caught fire due to collisions, but that more Bolts have caught fire while stationary.

I think Tesla has had it’s share of battery exploding and never-ending fire issues but it’s nowhere near as prevalent as one would think. It’s just funny as hell given the nature of EV that firefighters need to be aware of poo poo like “that car on fire you put out? Yeah it’s probably gonna go up in flames in like 8 hours”

It’s the name of the game now that we’re moving to electric infrastructure since there’s only so many ways you can build a giant loving battery and fit it in a car.