Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Fleetwood posted:

Tokyo Drift is good, having the coolest dude, Han.
so cool he's been resurrected twice! or once. or not at all! it's not very clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farm Frenzy posted:

ive only seen tokyo drift but i really liked its implied universe where the most popular activity in the world is illegal street racing and every highschool has an obvious illegal street racing clique

Isn't that just anime

Just replace 'illegal street racing' with 'children's card games', 'magical cockfighting' or 'spectacular cartoon violence'.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Fast and Furious is clearly conservative because it's about :
1 The importance of family
2 The Exceptionalism that is the American Muscle car
3 How we desperately need to close the gap with terrorists and their submarines

its also a movie series that is mostly about how cool luxury poo poo is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Netflix's Beirut (2018) starring Jon Hamm.

The trailer was infamously awash in Orientalist tropes, and within the first 30 seconds of the movie, Hamm's character blames the Palestinians for loving up Lebanon and triggering the civil war... but it's not nearly as much of an explicitly propagandistic movie as I was expecting.

The set-up is that Hamm, playing depressed diplomat-slash-negotiator Mason Skiles, is sent back into Beirut after leaving it a decade ago from when a team of Arab fighters killed his wife during a shootout.

He's brought back because his best friend, Cal Riley, has just been abducted by a PLO splinter group, and they asked for him specifically to work-out the deal.

Without going through the entire plot, the quirk in the story is:

* the CIA doesn't want the deal to succeed because Cal discovered that the station chief has been skimming money off the top, and would rather he be gotten rid of so the news never gets out
* at first, the Israelis want the deal to succeed because they think they can get the US to give them satellite data that'd allow them to launch strikes on key Syrian positions that would pave the way for free-ranging aerial bombings of Lebanon. When the US shuts them down, the Israelis then want the deal to fall through because they want to use the execution of a CIA agent as a pretext to launch a ground invasion of Lebanon
* the NSA advisor working with Mason and the CIA also wants the deal to fall through for the same reasons the Israelis do
* the PLO also does not want the deal to succeed because the splinter group wants to exchange Cal for an operative that was behind the Munich operation, and they'd rather that guy stay locked up because they think if he gets out then he'll do something to break the cease-fire and Israel gets to invade

so it ends up with Mason having to play all these people against each other because he's the only one that really wants to deal to succeed so he can save his friend.

of course, it's a quasi-historical story, so it still ends with Israel invading Lebanon like what actually happened, but the story is a little bit more even-handed as far as portraying everyone involved as rat-bastards

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaMisanthrope/status/1393851448740483076

video gamey so it breaks my arbitrary thread rule but its not like this particular trope only ever shows up with video games

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Pop culture in general really. Marvel movies always make the villain have a sympathetic cause and then have the villain kick a dog or kill a bunch of innocent civilians so that the hero is justified in restoring the status quo. I honestly respect the open authoritarianism of the Dark Knight trilogy more.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Did anyone watch the new Love, Death, Robutts? Is it still animation studio tech demos with videogame-tier writing?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

that's pretty much the premise of the show

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that just anime

Just replace 'illegal street racing' with 'children's card games', 'magical cockfighting' or 'spectacular cartoon violence'.

You don't even need to replace anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9yhtMCMAgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtM6W6USdv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXzazZAxloQ

[url posted:

https://screenrant.com/fast-furious-tokyo-drift-king-fishermen-cameos-explained/[/url]]
The title of "Drift King" is a big deal in The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift, and it actually belongs to somebody in real life - someone who had a cameo in the movie. Tokyo Drift is the third film in the Fast Saga, distinguished for the absence of the franchise's main lead, Brian O'Conner (Paul Walker), and chronologically set between Fast & Furious 6 and Furious 7. Vin Diesel's cameo in Tokyo Drift marked a highlight in the franchise when it most needed it, but it's not the only appearance by a crucial racing icon.

Tokyo Drift stars Sean Boswell (Lucas Black), an infamous street racer forced to relocate to Japan due to his criminal record back home. Instead of rectifying his behavior in his father's resident city, Sean becomes infatuated with the underground world of drift racing with the help of Twinkie (Bow Wow) and butts heads with Takashi (Brian Tee), a local racer with ties to the Yakuza who also holds the title of "Drift King" - the most skilled driver in Tokyo. After plenty of challenges and Han Lue's (Sung Kang) death, Sean manages to turn Takashi's obstinate will against himself when the latter fails to take out Sean. Instead, Sean wins the movie's final race and is crowned as the new Drift King. After that, he meets Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) in a friendly race dedicated to Han's memory.

What many viewers may not know is that a Drift King exists in real life. His name is Keiichi Tsuchiya, a professional race car driver who introduced drifting - the act of oversteering the car in order to swerve sideways in a curve - to the public, consequently inspiring an entire motorsport based on the practice and the popular manga/anime Initial D. In Tokyo Drift, Tsuchiya makes an appearance as a cameo alongside Kazutoshi Wadakura, a line producer in the film. They sit side-by-side as unsuspecting fishermen when Sean is learning how to drift for the first time. At the sight of his sloppy attempts, Tsuchiya utters in dismay "You call that drifting?".

After Han teaches Sean the complex technique necessary to accomplish successful drifts, Tsuchiya and Wadakura look at each other with delight. This time Tsuchiya praises Sean's skills with a simple "Not bad". This is not the only reference in the film, however, since a Toyota AE86 can be briefly seen in the parking garage where Sean and Tekashi race against each other for the first time. This car is one of Tsuhiya's personal favorites and it's heavily featured in the Initial D series, which in turn inspired the entire concept of Tokyo Drift.

The brief appearance of real-life Drift King Keiichi Tsuchiya in The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift is more than a mere reference to the drifting motif in the movie. Director Justin Lin knew the relevance of such an important figure and his deep connection to the central theme of the film as well as the franchise as a whole. It could seem like a small detail, but a Fast Saga without drifting is quite odd to think about.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

My TV did a violence to me by showing me this last night. Hurt people hurt people. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pTICZ2oeg

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dreylad posted:

steven deknight always seems to have good fight scenes in the shows he produces. the show does get to what you're talking about but it's so slow and boring that it doesn't loving matter

That's interesting shame it gets boring, because I was kind of interested in what that was was at tbe end if the first episode, maybe I'll work my way through it slowly instead of a binge

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

My TV did a violence to me by showing me this last night. Hurt people hurt people. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pTICZ2oeg

all it's missing is Emma Watson beatboxing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Did anyone watch the new Love, Death, Robutts? Is it still animation studio tech demos with videogame-tier writing?

The Soviet one from tbe first season was my favorite, very strong Delta Green vibes from that episode

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Watched Clockwork Orange for the first time. All I can say is :stwoon:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1394407185858318336

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Mark millar sucks poo poo and has never written a good comic in his life without Morrison looking over his shoulder, and even those are kind of rear end

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why. who wants this

just tell a new loving story with John Boyega Jesus Christ. the entire appeal of the first movie was that they were all kids

e: like who gives a poo poo about adults fighting aliens, in loving England. Edgar wright is the last guy I want to see tell that story too, what’s the last good movie he did? Hot Fuzz? Scott Pilgrim was deece I suppose

indigi has issued a correction as of 07:24 on May 19, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

indigi posted:

why. who wants this

just tell a new loving story with John Boyega Jesus Christ. the entire appeal of the first movie was that they were all kids

i also found out he's gonna be in a movie directed by the green room guy so that sounds good

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

indigi posted:

Mark millar sucks poo poo and has never written a good comic in his life without Morrison looking over his shoulder, and even those are kind of rear end

all these comics people getting metooed and i don't care about those losers as long as the most embarrassing thing morrison has done remains that one panel where his self-insert says "i'm not a white man, i'm a scorpion dreaming."

i mean i get what the character is saying but it's still like nails on a chalkboard especially in the invisibles which was just amazing for its time

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

indigi posted:

why. who wants this

e: like who gives a poo poo about adults fighting aliens, in loving England. Edgar wright is the last guy I want to see tell that story too, what’s the last good movie he did? Hot Fuzz? Scott Pilgrim was deece I suppose

cornish is still directing

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that just anime

sure i guess. great post man

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/theinformation/status/1394711897732272134

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/paulswhtn/status/1394698962687438848

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can any pop culture thread friendos tell me where this is from

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i can understand a petty pissing match with another studio over a broad idea that could hypothetically be a good movie but these all sound like terrible ideas for movies that would have trouble even getting financing let alone signing up well known actors

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

all these comics people getting metooed and i don't care about those losers as long as the most embarrassing thing morrison has done remains that one panel where his self-insert says "i'm not a white man, i'm a scorpion dreaming."

i mean i get what the character is saying but it's still like nails on a chalkboard especially in the invisibles which was just amazing for its time

chaos magicians are inherently embarrassing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

cornish is still directing

that’s slightly better I suppose

execs looked at Dante’s Peak/Volcano and Deep Impact/Armageddon and thought “we can be even less original than our forebears”

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

those 2 fyre fest documentaries set a bad precedent, we collectively should have chosen to ignore one

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

The host of NPR's Fresh Air berated Seth Rogen for 5 minutes yesterday because he smoked pot when he was 13.

Bert Roberge has issued a correction as of 00:19 on May 20, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Fried Watermelon posted:

chaos magicians are inherently embarrassing

when you cringe at alan moore writing yet another rape scene, he only becomes more powerful

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

indigi posted:

why. who wants this

Baby driver was ok

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
dude

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/1395234352963801089?s=20
https://twitter.com/angelmorph2/status/1395233961828364288?s=20

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 05:41 on May 20, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

indigi posted:

i just read all of the Jupiter's Legacy comics and oof

how do you make such an interesting concept so boring?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he was a phenomenal artist but Berserk was boring as gently caress, RIP

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KomradeX posted:

That's interesting shame it gets boring, because I was kind of interested in what that was was at tbe end if the first episode, maybe I'll work my way through it slowly instead of a binge

that's probably for the best. it's just that the show spends probably half the season on backstory and it's really really slow. and I watched most of The Americans! A show where 20 minutes of a later episode is the main characters digging a hole!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snook and Johnson even look like they're the same person.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
good news everyone

https://twitter.com/ReutersShowbiz/status/1395098023588466694?s=20

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Baby driver was ok

Baby Driver? more like Baby’s First Tarantino imho

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FFT posted:

i just read all of the Jupiter's Legacy comics and oof

how do you make such an interesting concept so boring?

mark millar only writes comics so he can sell the concept to netflix or whoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat that sucks

Berserk was good