Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it's because professionals are men, and men hate colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the red and yellow iMacs were the same colours on the front they would own so much

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MeruFM posted:

it's because professionals are men, and men hate colors

I really hate how Apple’s kept up the whole “the iPhone mini is for girls!” design mentality for 20 years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

frogbs posted:

Midnight Green iMac plz now.

I prefer Gas Chamber Green

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bright lime green or bust.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
The one thing that the M1 iMac reviews have taught me is it is a loving crime that Apple didn't release a matching monitor, I really hope they reconsider. Display dock for MacBooks, check, monitor for people with Mac Minis, check, secondary monitor for iMacs, check.

There is basically nothing in it's overall class, sell me two of them for my Mac Mini, hell, I might even switch to a M1 iMac with a matching display and ditch the Mini, the only reason I bought the Mini is it is the only one that supported dual displays.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Deep royal purple plz.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I bought a refurbished 16GB base air and 27” 4K LG monitor last weekend. I am extremely pleased with my purchases. First Mac in 10 years and it feels good to be back

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I really hate how Apple’s kept up the whole “the iPhone mini is for girls!” design mentality for 20 years

A shameful amount of why I own an iPhone 12 is it comes in blue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

:confused:

Three Olives posted:

The one thing that the M1 iMac reviews have taught me is it is a loving crime that Apple didn't release a matching monitor, I really hope they reconsider. Display dock for MacBooks, check, monitor for people with Mac Minis, check, secondary monitor for iMacs, check.

There is basically nothing in it's overall class, sell me two of them for my Mac Mini, hell, I might even switch to a M1 iMac with a matching display and ditch the Mini, the only reason I bought the Mini is it is the only one that supported dual displays.
I'd like an Apple display, but every time I think about that I realize I'd also like more than just one input, like DP/HDMI too so I can hook up other stuff too.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

what lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The iPhone Mini, the thing that has existed for a little over one year and looks exactly like and is marketed exactly the same as the regular iPhone, is for girls and has been for 20 years.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

American McGay posted:

The iPhone Mini, the thing that has existed for a little over one year and looks exactly like and is marketed exactly the same as the regular iPhone, is for girls and has been for 20 years.
You see it was introduced by a woman and now available in purple

purple owns

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Apple definitely put coloured products as the cheaper/"not professional" one for a long time. The 5C and such, etc.
Black MacBook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've got a colored iPhone 12 mini...super girl :j:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I suspect that women would prefer larger phones than men, because they are more likely to keep their phones in their purses and not in a pants pocket.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I feel like not having the iMac available in black is as much of a mistake as not having it available in colours would have been.

But honestly, the lack of black materials doesn't bother me nearly as much as the black accents and details. Like the bezels. It seems silly for the bezels to be white, on any model, not just for better contrast with the screen but for not contrasting with the webcam. To support this claim, I present: literally every other Apple product with a screen currently. The iPhone, iPad*, Watch, Macbooks Pro and Air, and Pro Display XDR all notably feature black front panels even when the rest of the body is silver or another colour. Oh, also, the previous iMac.

(excepting the iPad mini and the no-suffix iPad, which are older form factors which originally did feature white bezels on non-black finishes. But, notably, the current iPhone SE also went to the trouble of updating that previous form factor to add the black bezels to other colours)

The same deal applies to the keyboards. Macbook keyboards went all black caps in, uh, I want to say 2013? Whenever the polycarb Macbook no-suffix was retired. Obviously I personally prefer black caps to white but more than that I think it just makes sense for the keycaps to be the same colour as the bezels. From that perspective it makes sense that the keyboard you get with the new iMacs has to be white. Apple are retiring the Space Grey Magic Keyboard since apparently its existence was down entirely to the iMac Pro, also retired, but then there's the Mac Pro, paired conceptually with the black-bezelled Pro Display XDR and shipping with a silver keyboard with black keycaps, which honestly I think looks super neat. Basically what I'm saying here is that losing the black keyboard makes sense given we've lost the black bezels but also I think it sucks we lost the black bezels, so. (but also I really liked the black keyboard and I really hope future Macbooks Air don't all switch to white bezels and white keycaps but fear they will)

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
I definitely impulse bought a spare Space Gray Magic Trackpad 2 the split second they announced they were discontinued. You know, just in case. :homebrew:

The only thing that will make me regret this purchase is if they release a trackpad (not keyboard) with Touch ID on it, which I will then also buy.

Make me regret this Apple!!!!!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

oh poo poo- did I miswrite “iPod” as “iPhone” or did my iphone autocorrect that :tinfoil: ?

Regardless— yes, Apple has a long-standing policy of putting bright/pastel/light/“girly”/“fun” colors on non-“pro”/“budget” devices while leaving flagship devices in white/black or only adding options for notably dark/subdued “adult” tones.

And in the case of the original iPod Mini, the split between the light pastel colored budget device and the clean white lines of the much more capable flagship model really did create this popular distinction that the Mini was the “iPod for girls”, the one that you got for your wife/gf/or kids. Like even Borat references it like two years after they stopped selling the Mini.

It was enough of a thing that Apple briefly made a conscious effort to change course, and made the original iPod Nano white+black like the flagship.

Yes it is literally, truly, why they did that.

Then they realized that the colors were simply too popular and brought them back (and also the “big iPod” style chassis on the Mk-1 Nanos fail and pop open if you look at them funny).

And whether you think it’s dumb or not, both the original iPod Mini and Apple’s later market segmentation practices are a pretty well-discussed case study in how consumer goods can reinforce/buy into longstanding tropes about stuff like gender and coded behavior and whatnot.

I remember even reading one paper that talked about poo poo like High Fidelity and “cultures of misogyny in music fandom”, etc, before bringing up iPod marketing/product segmentation as a weird distant example of society internalizing stereotypes about who does/doesn’t become a super fan, etc (ie “the iPod for men has exponentially more storage space”).

The argument is always some variation of “expensive, and ‘pro’ devices are intended to be bought by adults with money and professionals, who tend to prefer conservative finishes over fun colors”. It’s not intended to reinforce lovely gendered tropes, but it does, and it exists across pretty much all industries and consumer goods.

I personally would like to be able to buy “Pro” Apple devices in funky colors myself. I don’t think the nicer iMacs/MacBook Pros are going to ever have that option.

Even getting beyond the more basic gender tropes, you start getting into arguments about infantilism and who’s allowed to like bright colors or be childlike, etc. Why do businessmen have to have sleek finishes and muted tones?

Idk, I find these sorts of discussions endlessly fascinating but I really don’t want to have them in the Mac Hardware thread.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buddy, they still sell the 4K Intel iMac with black bezels. The colorful one just replaced the low end 1080p iMac. None of the “pro” Macs have touched Apple Silicon yet.

A new Apple silicon iMac with black bezels is still coming if you care that much.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think the majority of imac buyers actually don't give a poo poo about the bezel colour. i think the white looks great tbh.

anyway i agree that it's a shame we have this societal conviction of the "appropriateness" of 'pro'/business design. if nothing else the cases people put on their phones puts the lie to that idea imo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Im not in the market for an iMac but if I had one would definitely put a black bezel wrap on it https://dbrand.com/shop/apple-imac-24-2021.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Perplx posted:

Im not in the market for an iMac but if I had one would definitely put a black bezel wrap on it https://dbrand.com/shop/apple-imac-24-2021.

lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Perplx posted:

lol those are going to look dogshit imo when actually put on

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Perplx posted:

Mmmmmm much better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mediaphage posted:

i think the majority of imac buyers actually don't give a poo poo about the bezel colour. i think the white looks great tbh.

anyway i agree that it's a shame we have this societal conviction of the "appropriateness" of 'pro'/business design. if nothing else the cases people put on their phones puts the lie to that idea imo

MKBHD brought up in his review that the white bezel makes it fit and blend into most people's living rooms way more, and that much as he'd prefer it a black bezel would make the thing stand out way more. Which isn't the best for a computer being pitched as something that can just blend into a room.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

MKBHD brought up in his review that the white bezel makes it fit and blend into most people's living rooms way more, and that much as he'd prefer it a black bezel would make the thing stand out way more. Which isn't the best for a computer being pitched as something that can just blend into a room.

i agree completely.

also i think that - imac pro aside - lots of the more traditional AIO makers go with black and dark colouration while few of them can pull off the silver without it looking cheap as hell. apple likes looking like apple.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

njsykora posted:

The whole screen is black when it's off though. I'd think the high contrast of a white bezel on black screen would if anything make it more eye catching.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think I'd prefer the bezel color to match the rest of the case

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I think I'd prefer the bezel color to match the rest of the case

i think the idea there is probably you want a neutral colour surrounding your display to avoid colour casts or making it look weird by comparison. even the silver grey bezels on the macbook airs looked worse than white or black glass imo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If your computer is in your living room then you've already failed at interior design and it really doesn't matter what colour bezel you go for.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mediaphage posted:

i think the idea there is probably you want a neutral colour surrounding your display to avoid colour casts or making it look weird by comparison. even the silver grey bezels on the macbook airs looked worse than white or black glass imo.

Clearly we need a color changing bezel.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

njsykora posted:

Yeah I'd say so:

And put it in sunlight for free ambient lighting!

Splinter posted:

The whole screen is black when it's off though. I'd think the high contrast of a white bezel on black screen would if anything make it more eye catching.
Well if it's off it's an eye catching white bezel vs eye catching black mass. Main difference is the bezel frames the screen even when off vs blending in as a single big black rectangle. Either way I don't think they're that concerned about how it looks when off, compared to when it's on and actually being used/looked at.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I will say debating the bezel is better than hearing every tech reviewer whine about the chin.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

If your computer is in your living room then you've already failed at interior design and it really doesn't matter what colour bezel you go for.

what a dumb take. lots of places have three options for a computer: bedroom, living room, or kitchen and keeping computers and tvs in the bedroom is a bad idea for sleep purposes even if it is popular.

certainly a computer is less eye catching in a bad way than the huge fuckin tvs that people make the focal points of living spaces

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I would buy a Green MacsBooks Pro

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

They should make the next iMac in a shifting colour outside the range of human sight. It helps you focus on your current task on the screen, since looking at the actual case distresses the mind terribly as it tries to fill in the blanks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The next iMac should be The Color Out of Space, made from a non-Euclidean pigment that drives you insane if you look at it too long

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

track day bro! posted:

I would buy a Green MacsBooks Pro

Judging by the rumors I’ll end up with a 14 pro and slap a d brand green skin on the top and bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

mediaphage posted:

what a dumb take. lots of places have three options for a computer: bedroom, living room, or kitchen and keeping computers and tvs in the bedroom is a bad idea for sleep purposes even if it is popular.

certainly a computer is less eye catching in a bad way than the huge fuckin tvs that people make the focal points of living spaces

I think this was a contentious topic in the home decorating or home purchasing thread a while ago, I forget.

Yeah, I agree, in many areas of the US and the world, having a dedicated study is an incredible luxury. On the other hand, interior decorating is kind of a rich (wo)man's game, so it is a little unrealistic/idealistic to complain about how 'the principles or interior decorating' are classist or whatever.