Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Enemies in water or attached to your boat take extra damage from the crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
gently caress the crossbow!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
*pushes glasses up and sniffs*

Umm, actually, you'll find that in The Witcher, or should I say "Wiedzmin", they call hand crossbows Gabriels, after the inventor, Gabriel of Verden.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Wassup, first time playing the game crew.

Just finished the main Velen quests, and will try to get some sidequests done before hitting up Novigrad. I'm already level 11 but honestly the question marks haven't been that bad so far- though point taken regarding Skellige later.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Chieves posted:

Wassup, first time playing the game crew.

Just finished the main Velen quests, and will try to get some sidequests done before hitting up Novigrad. I'm already level 11 but honestly the question marks haven't been that bad so far- though point taken regarding Skellige later.

Fwiw there is a lot of Velen that is much higher level, the main quest has you return much later on

If you haven't already you can buy the maps that lead you to the Griffin gear set pieces. Iirc that has a level req of 12 and is a good excuse to do some exploring and side questing in Velen. Google where to buy the maps it won't spoiler anything and they aren't obvious otherwise. Unremarkable documents in a couple random vendor inventories. Griffin set will be a large gear upgrade too.

Novigrad is quite a shift in tone and pacing. As mentioned you can hop the boat to Skellige basically right away if you want to check it out, might as well check out that option. 1000 gold fee is "refunded" on landing.

Oh and go do Trollolol's quest just west of Oxenfurt :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah about maps, it is best practice when arriving in new settlements to check out the merchants and buy any and all maps they sell. All are useful, many unlock scavenger hunt quests.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://en.cdprojektred.com/news/happy-10th-anniversary-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/

CDPR posted some fan art for the 10th anniversary of Witcher 2.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

They also put up tons of goodies up on GOG for free for the next ~40 hours, including a 90 minute Witcher 3 concert.

The Witcher 3 pack contains all soundtracks (Wild Hunt, Hearts of Stone, Blood and Wine) in MP3 and FLAC.

Massive.

https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_goodies_collection

quote:

extras
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - wallpapers (8)13 MB
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - goodie pack 4300 MB
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - goodie pack 2600 MB
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - bonus pack (Polish) 1340 MB
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - bonus pack (French) 1300 MB
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - bonus pack (Spanish) 542 MB
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - bonus pack (Italian) 539 MB
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - bonus pack (Russian) 770 MB
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - bonus pack (German) 1300 MB
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - goodie pack (1) 3200 MB
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - goodie pack (2) 1400 MB
he Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - goodie pack (1) 2400 MB
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - goodie pack (2) 2200 MB
Video Game Show — The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt concert (720p) 1400 MB
Video Game Show — The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt concert (dvd) 675 MB
Video Game Show — The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt concert (1080p) 2900 MB
Video Game Show — The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt concert (4K)

Here's a glimpse at the contents of the Witcher 3 goodie pack:

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 18, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
What the heck is "The Witcher Adventure Game"?

And was Thronebreaker fun? I never picked that up and its $6 right now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a computer boardgame, no idea how it is, never played

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Thronebreaker is the Gwent game, but more of a puzzle game. You walk around the map and get into battles/encounters that are resolved by Gwent. Except that most of them aren't actual games, but some challenge like "destroy all the cards in their third row in 4 turns," so if you don't play the cards you're dealt just right, you lose. I got sick of it after having to look up the answer yet again.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Thronebreaker is great, even if you don't like the gwent it's still good as a visual novel (and I'm pretty sure there's a difficulty option to just skip the battles). Definitely worth the $6

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

pik_d posted:

And was Thronebreaker fun? I never picked that up and its $6 right now.
It's solid and has a surprising ammount of story in it including a morale system with choices and consequences. The only thing that was getting on my nerves is the main character's walking speed, goddamn.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Wait so Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales and Gwent: The Witcher Card Game are both Gwent??

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

pik_d posted:

Wait so Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales and Gwent: The Witcher Card Game are both Gwent??

Yes. Thronebreaker is single-player and Gwent:etc is multiplayer.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

pik_d posted:

Thronebreaker uses Gwent as a puzzle game for "combat." It's got a pretty great story.

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game is a multiplayer trading card game. Same idea as Magic: The Gathering.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

Fwiw there is a lot of Velen that is much higher level, the main quest has you return much later on

If you haven't already you can buy the maps that lead you to the Griffin gear set pieces. Iirc that has a level req of 12 and is a good excuse to do some exploring and side questing in Velen. Google where to buy the maps it won't spoiler anything and they aren't obvious otherwise. Unremarkable documents in a couple random vendor inventories. Griffin set will be a large gear upgrade too.

Novigrad is quite a shift in tone and pacing. As mentioned you can hop the boat to Skellige basically right away if you want to check it out, might as well check out that option. 1000 gold fee is "refunded" on landing.

Oh and go do Trollolol's quest just west of Oxenfurt :v:

Done on all accounts! My pattern has been to pretty much find all Gwent and Shopkeep things in a given area before doing anything story related.

Is the Griffin Set a good long-term set of gear? I already have independent drops that outclass it, and with more slots.

This was also brought up a few pages ago, but I'll echo that I was also ready for a change of pace regarding story tone. Parts of it were shifting too far on the "bleak for bleakness sake" spectrum. That said, I still think the Bloody Baron was a great character with just the right amount of pathos and willingness to change. And both troll quests I've found helped as well! :v:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Chieves posted:

Is the Griffin Set a good long-term set of gear? I already have independent drops that outclass it, and with more slots.

How to fashionsouls Witcher 3

Start off in the Starter gear and upgrade it in White Orchard.
Keep that until you get the Griffin set (if you struggle then put on whatever random gear you find until you can wear Griffin.)
Get the Cat set when you get to Novigrad, wear that until you go to Skellige
Get the Bear set and wear that whenever in Skellige.
Go to Kaer Morhen and get the Wolf set, wear that from now on unless you are back in Skellige in which case switch back to Bear.
When you go to Toussaint get the Manticore set and wear that.

You are now a fashionable Witcher.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
drop your towel before taking the clothes in Vizima
go back to recover your towel after talking to Emhyr
equip the towel and no other clothing

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Chieves posted:

Griffin is good yeah. You get upgrades for each set, same format of quests to find the blueprints as before. You'll buy some maps and do some exploring to track down Griffin (Enhanced), Griffin (Superior) etc.

One big advantage to sticking with Griffin (even if you don't go deep into Signs spec) is the generic Griffin School Training ability. It's extremely good, massively boosts your stamina regen when wearing all-medium armor. You will get Wolf armor eventually which is another medium armor Witcher set that has balanced stats rather than being focused on Signs.

And yes, Velen is the bleakest area. There's plenty of grimdark stuff in the rest of the game, too, there just isn't much variety in tone in Velen.

fwiw once you've completed Velen main quest and moving on to Novigrad you're maybe 20-25% done with the base game (not counting DLCs) if you were fairly thorough with side quests.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 19, 2021

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I think I burnt out on the game. I got to Skelleige and watched the girl get onto the funeral boat to be immolated for... some reason, and now I'm on the docks after talking to Yennifer. Apparently I need to change into new clothes before attending the wake. But I just don't have the drive to do it anymore. Great game, I'll probably go back to it sooner or later, but something about it just ground me down in the last part of the Dandelion quest. Also Dandelion sucks lol.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At pretty much every phase of going through Skellige, I was left with the conclusion that viking culture is horrible and disgusting. Although I think the game is siginificantly less self-aware about that then than it is about the plight of Velen dirt farmers or the suffering in Novigrad.

I think what stood out to me most about that moment wasn't the distraught woman sacrificing herself, but the fact that the other people at the funeral complain about the guy's older wife not being the one killing herself, as is apparently the custom. Casting her as such a horrid shrew of a woman for daring to live after her husband's gone instead of killing herself like a good girl.

Ugh.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think what stood out to me most about that moment wasn't the distraught woman sacrificing herself, but the fact that the other people at the funeral complain about the guy's older wife not being the one killing herself, as is apparently the custom. Casting her as such a horrid shrew of a woman for daring to live after her husband's gone instead of killing herself like a good girl.

Ugh.

I'll be honest, I've grown kind of weary about how the game treats women. I had contention earlier in the scene where Triss has to get tortured to complete a quest. People in this thread pointed out she's doing it willingly and isn't a damsel in distress, which is true, but she was still written into that situation when she's supposed to be an incredibly powerful sorceress with a ton of mage friends. It's like the writers completely ignored all of that just to ensure she was in that position and we got to hear a woman scream and plead for mercy. Also I know this is a dreary medieval world but holy poo poo it's the rapiest game I've ever played. Then there's Dandelion, who we're supposed to sympathize with? Dude's a lovely self-absorbed womanizer who doesn't seem to have any useful skills other than telling self-aggrandizing lies and tricking women to sleep with him, but no, I just spent 10 hours in the game busting him out of prison. Also Kiera needing to be saved from rats, that was just an eye-roll in an otherwise fun quest.

I'm probably being overly sensitive or reading too deeply into it or whatever, and I don't think the writers hate women, but after ruminating on what I've played it's just how it all hits me.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

HoboTech posted:

I'm probably being overly sensitive or reading too deeply into it or whatever, and I don't think the writers hate women, but after ruminating on what I've played it's just how it all hits me.

You're not being oversensitive, Witcher games have always had a misogynist streak. TW3 improved on earlier Witcher games, but there are still things that grate.

I would say, however, that you've got burnt out just at the point of the game where we''re finally shot of Dandelion and women are going to start getting better parts.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Triss scene is pretty obviously meant to be manipulating the player's emotions and get you to break, which it does its job in that respect, but it's definitely not doing any favors for the character.

The gross moments do also kinda put you more into Geralt's shoes as a constant outsider who doesn't really share the values of the locals, but they're not fun. Especially the more mundanely terrible things. It's one thing to be at a big party in Velen towards the end hearing how the peasants worship the abominable three witches and rely on them to fertilize the land, and take part in a...suspicious soup at the end of the party, but when it's just people on the street calling all women whores or commenting on how many times to beat their wives, there's nothing interesting about that, and it veers a little into cartoonish.

The most cartoonishly awful is probably Whoreson Jr., which was just ridiculous and sick. There's just no point to that.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Well, made it further than I ever have before, finishing up novigrad related stuff and gathering the cat school weapons and armor. The quest to gather the armor was a fun, pleasant surprise. Was expecting it to be more of the same hum-drum loot everything from some ruins sorta thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the scavenger quests are all pretty good.

E: unrelated, what's the deal with the big siege tower on Ard Skillige? I don't think I ever bumped into an explanation for that one

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 20, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Oh man, the whole dandelion cabaret into carnal sins quest-line was cool as hell. I killed the preacher guy even though I knew he was innocent, he just seemed like a dick and I wanted him to die. Still stuck dicking around the novigrad/oxenfurt area. Most of the secondary quests are finished up and I'm a little under-leveled to tackle any of my remaining contracts, so guess it's about time to head to skellige. Need to get out there and find the upgrades for the griffin/cat school armor. Kinda digging how fast my stamina recharges with the cat school armor. The bleeding bonus chance on the swords is a nice plus when buffed with whatever rune stones add an additional bleed chance.

Still struggling to find a really useful decoction. Kinda like water hag for the added attack bonus at full health. Kinda liked griffin initially, but with judicious use of quen and basically dodging most attacks it seems less useful. Still missing a bunch of mutagens to craft some of the other ones tho. Also, what the hell do adrenaline points do? I'm like 30-ish hrs in and still don't really know what the hell they're for. I've skipped the skills that allow me to use adrenaline in lieu of stamina to cast signs. Was that a mistake?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Adrenaline, with the right skills, can essentially be used as a second stamina bar. There is a really, really nasty build you can make using the Bear armour, Whirl, and the runes that treat heavy armour as medium. Whenever you land a hit, you earn adrenaline points. Medium armour regenerates stamina fastest with the right runes. Whirl lets you hit targets fast and repeatedly. When your stamina is exhausted then you can use the passive skill to let adrenaline be used in stamina's place, so you essentially charge a second stamina bar's worth of Whirl attacks while doing the first whirl.

Katakan is a useful decoction for increasing your critical damage. Nightwraith is hilariously broken because it increases your max health with each kill and the buff remains active as long as the decoction is popped.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 21, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

dog nougat posted:

Oh man, the whole dandelion cabaret into carnal sins quest-line was cool as hell. I killed the preacher guy even though I knew he was innocent, he just seemed like a dick and I wanted him to die.

Can still kill him and get the actual culprit. The bishop still tortures and rapes women, totally deserves it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Oh drat. That sounds pretty dope/ridiculous. Dunno if I've even gotten to hunt to find the bear armor yet. Stuck at work right now, so just sitting around thinking about massacre-ing witch hunters and the errant monsters that dare cross me.

I'm also really hoping I get to run wild through novigrad and kill those pricks from the church of the eternal flame later in the game. Was really hoping after killing the last 2 dudes that it'd be heading in the right direction, but got back and they were setting up pires everywhere :ohdear:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can still kill him and get the actual culprit. The bishop still tortures and rapes women, totally deserves it.

:getin:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

At pretty much every phase of going through Skellige, I was left with the conclusion that viking culture is horrible and disgusting. Although I think the game is siginificantly less self-aware about that then than it is about the plight of Velen dirt farmers or the suffering in Novigrad.

Ugh.

“Heed our ways, drifter!”

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
dang this game turned 6 years old last week

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've just started playing it because I finally have a good PC and when I told my brother that I can run it on the highest settings he just laughed that it's no surprise because the game is so old :( anyway, I have whole brand new world of witcherin' before me and I've somehow managed to survive these 6 years without seeing many spoilers, so I'm pretty excited!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

macabresca posted:

I've just started playing it because I finally have a good PC and when I told my brother that I can run it on the highest settings he just laughed that it's no surprise because the game is so old :( anyway, I have whole brand new world of witcherin' before me and I've somehow managed to survive these 6 years without seeing many spoilers, so I'm pretty excited!

gently caress yeah! we are super good about spoilers in this thread and love chatting with people as they experience it. Feel free to bother us with questions, we all have the responses memorized at this point lol

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

macabresca posted:

You owe it to all of us to post impressions in this thread. We feed of this poo poo.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
lol, great! for now I don't have many impressions or questions though, just trying to get a hang of controls. the combat tutorial was kinda funny because Vesemir was shouting at me to stop showing off or something while I was just standing still because I couldn't figure out how to do a heavy attack

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

macabresca posted:

lol, great! for now I don't have many impressions or questions though, just trying to get a hang of controls. the combat tutorial was kinda funny because Vesemir was shouting at me to stop showing off or something while I was just standing still because I couldn't figure out how to do a heavy attack

there's a good spoiler-free newbie guide in the second post of this thread

and tbh don't worry too much about heavy attacks, the most important things for combat is 1) keep mobile dodge dodge dodge and 2) consult bestiary to use the right tools, use alchemy liberally

all your alchemy items are "containers" that recharge with a unit of alcohol when you meditate, you don't need to farm ingredients. so go hog wild with bombs and potions and poo poo

the first few levels are the toughest and wraiths are a bit tricky at first. the basic rhythm of combat is get in a few quick attacks, use a sign or bomb or something, then dodge back, rinse repeat. you don't want to get greedy and stay in melee more than a few swipes. Quen sign is a good backup to absorb a stray hit or two but your best defense is to not get hit

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

macabresca posted:

Here's a little tip I'd like to give everyone new to the game:

Early on you will feel strapped for cash.

Luckily, there's an easy fix. In the first village, White Orchard, there's a pen of cows to the left of the town entry. You can kill the cows, loot their hides, meditate for an hour and they will respawn. Repeat a couple of times and then sell the hides for some start-up money.

They are, quite literally, cash cows. MooooOOOOoooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

mcbexx posted:

Here's a little tip I'd like to give everyone new to the game:

Early on you will feel strapped for cash.

Luckily, there's an easy fix. In the first village, White Orchard, there's a pen of cows to the left of the town entry. You can kill the cows, loot their hides, meditate for an hour and they will respawn. Repeat a couple of times and then sell the hides for some start-up money.

They are, quite literally, cash cows. MooooOOOOoooo.

:allears: