Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

rockcity posted:

My wife is looking to get a bike to start joining me on some trails. Probably mostly bike path and gravel path type stuff, but I want to find her something that could tackle some easy singletrack. What should I be looking for on an entry level bike that could handle a variety of terrain? I’m figuring a basic hardtail with maybe a less aggressive tire that would be ok on pavement too, but I’m trying to do some research before going into some shops with her.

A Giant Talon 3 has served me very well, it was $550 new 1.5 years ago. I ride it everywhere, streets, concrete, gravel, dirt, rocks, grass, mud.

neato burrito fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Polygon (bikesonline.com) has had some bikes in the $500-$1000 range on stock lately. Used entry-level mountain bikes around me have been either at or above new prices though. All the shops are constantly sold out of everything that's not an e-bike.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

thatguy posted:

until yesterday it was basically sunny morning with hail or rain for 10 minutes in the evening. And other than the flow I'm working on now, soils are well-drained mineral sandy/rocky and they're going to ride better wet or in the kind of stuff we have now. Last night dumped a bunch but it drains very quick, you see dry crust by noon and stuff will start to break apart again by the afternoon.

no snow

Rad. I'm excited to try it out. I popped a spoke over the weekend, so waiting on that repair.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

neato burrito posted:

A Giant Talon 3 has served me very well, it was $550 new 1.5 years ago. I ride it everywhere, streets, concrete, gravel, dirt, rocks, grass, mud.

Similarly, I found the Trek Marlin 5 to be incredibly versatile for a similar price.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

vote_no posted:

Similarly, I found the Trek Marlin 5 to be incredibly versatile for a similar price.

Yeah, those two are on my short list for her to look at and probably close to where I think she’d be comfortable spending.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
FYI Giant changed the numbering scheme for their models (0 is now the best one, it's so dumb) so a Talon 3 which used to be a good 'I want a cheap MTB but I don't want it to be loving horrible' bike is now, well, loving horrible. Get the Talon 2. Don't get any bike that has a freewheel instead of a cassette and/or a Tourney rear derailleur.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

deong posted:

Rad. I'm excited to try it out. I popped a spoke over the weekend, so waiting on that repair.

It is good and you should be psyched.

I look like a dork

This guy less dork

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 19, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spwrozek posted:

I look like a dork

Ever figure out the bike noise? I have one again. I redid the pivots and I'm pretty certain it was the headset all along. Needs way more preload than I expect. Only 1000 miles on mine so far though, bb still seems quiet.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

rockcity posted:

My wife is looking to get a bike to start joining me on some trails. Probably mostly bike path and gravel path type stuff, but I want to find her something that could tackle some easy singletrack. What should I be looking for on an entry level bike that could handle a variety of terrain? I’m figuring a basic hardtail with maybe a less aggressive tire that would be ok on pavement too, but I’m trying to do some research before going into some shops with her.

Ideally for a great starter bike that you can keep riding for a long time, you want an air spring fork vs. coil, 1x drivetrain, and hydraulic brakes. Depending on how steep your trails get and how much you want to spend, the brakes would be the last thing I'd compromise on out of that list.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

VacaGrande posted:

Ideally for a great starter bike that you can keep riding for a long time, you want an air spring fork vs. coil, 1x drivetrain, and hydraulic brakes. Depending on how steep your trails get and how much you want to spend, the brakes would be the last thing I'd compromise on out of that list.

I got this advice too, even the barest researcg into MTB will get you this advice and I just wanna say . . . Such bikes are basically impossible to find in stock anywhere right now, and none of that is actually necessary to have a good time. If someone is gonna be tackling a lot of pavement with the bike I suspect they aren't planning to shred the gnarliest trails in the world

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, just on other sites they would basically be telling you 1x and air fork or don't bother

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 19, 2021

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

OctaMurk posted:

I got this advice too, even the barest researcg into MTB will get you this advice and I just wanna say . . . Such bikes are basically impossible to find in stock anywhere right now, and none of that is actually necessary to have a good time. If someone is gonna be tackling a lot of pavement with the bike I suspect they aren't planning to shred the gnarliest trails in the world

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, just on other sites they would basically be telling you 1x and air fork or don't bother

As with most things in life, there are trade-offs and it depends entirely on what you want. If you want a pavement cruiser more than anything sure, but if you want to have something better for trails over the long term those features will be nice to have, especially the brakes (probably brakes, fork, and gearing most important in order). He also never said that you must have those things to have fun, but to make the purchase most worthwhile. You can have fun on a Wal-Mart bike and it will probably fall apart on your second trail ride.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

As with most things in life, there are trade-offs and it depends entirely on what you want. If you want a pavement cruiser more than anything sure, but if you want to have something better for trails over the long term those features will be nice to have, especially the brakes (probably brakes, fork, and gearing most important in order). He also never said that you must have those things to have fun, but to make the purchase most worthwhile. You can have fun on a Wal-Mart bike and it will probably fall apart on your second trail ride.

Yeah, that was the order of priority in my mind. I doubt I can get her to spend the amount of money needed for a 1x drivetrain, but I definitely want to look for an air fork and hydraulic disc brakes. I did some scouring around online last night and stock is definitely low right now as expected but there are a few places with some entry level bikes out there.

Realistically, the trails she’s going to want to ride will be super mild. I don’t expect her to ever want to ride anything with a lot of fast downhill or super technical trails. More of the rolling scenic green trails. She could probably do it on a rigid bike but I think she’d be more comfortable on something with a fork suspension.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

rockcity posted:

Yeah, that was the order of priority in my mind. I doubt I can get her to spend the amount of money needed for a 1x drivetrain, but I definitely want to look for an air fork and hydraulic disc brakes. I did some scouring around online last night and stock is definitely low right now as expected but there are a few places with some entry level bikes out there.

Realistically, the trails she’s going to want to ride will be super mild. I don’t expect her to ever want to ride anything with a lot of fast downhill or super technical trails. More of the rolling scenic green trails. She could probably do it on a rigid bike but I think she’d be more comfortable on something with a fork suspension.

If you find a used bike that is in a good price range for you and checks many boxes for you, you can always find a used fork later on (or 1x drivetrain).

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Need a small bag for keys, multitool, etc; is a small seat bag the right choice or should I try to find a small under top bar frame mount bag?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

PCjr sidecar posted:

Need a small bag for keys, multitool, etc; is a small seat bag the right choice or should I try to find a small under top bar frame mount bag?

You have a few options depending on your set-up. Could use a small saddle bag to keep things. Another option is a frame bag like the one made by Wolf Tooth https://themtblab.com/2019/08/wolf-tooth-components-b-rad-mini-roll-top-bag-review.html or a small top tube bag. For top tube bags there are smaller ones that sit next to the seat post (https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/collections/top-tube-bags/products/snack-pack-top-tube-bag-small) or one that goes near the stem (https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/collections/top-tube-bags/products/snack-pack-top-tube-bags-large-xl). A final option might be a tool bottle that sits in your bottle holder if you're wearing water on your body (https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/keg-storage-vessel-16oz-with-tool-wrap/p/155355?size=16+oz&color=228943-155355).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Wolf Tooth is great because you can put it anywhere. It’s just big enough to hold my probiketool pump too

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that if you have a dropper post and want to use a saddle bag, make sure to check for clearance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's the best portable pump/inflator combo? Inflator should have a push-switch, and pump must have a hose.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

Ever figure out the bike noise? I have one again. I redid the pivots and I'm pretty certain it was the headset all along. Needs way more preload than I expect. Only 1000 miles on mine so far though, bb still seems quiet.

It is probably the headset. I redid all the pivots so....

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's always that on my bike. Hopefully the frame isn't hosed up from running too little preload and the bearing slapping against it repeatedly. Hopefully test it out again tomorrow.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

vikingstrike posted:

You have a few options depending on your set-up. Could use a small saddle bag to keep things. Another option is a frame bag like the one made by Wolf Tooth https://themtblab.com/2019/08/wolf-tooth-components-b-rad-mini-roll-top-bag-review.html or a small top tube bag. For top tube bags there are smaller ones that sit next to the seat post (https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/collections/top-tube-bags/products/snack-pack-top-tube-bag-small) or one that goes near the stem (https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/collections/top-tube-bags/products/snack-pack-top-tube-bags-large-xl). A final option might be a tool bottle that sits in your bottle holder if you're wearing water on your body (https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/keg-storage-vessel-16oz-with-tool-wrap/p/155355?size=16+oz&color=228943-155355).

Thanks; I think the Wolf Tooth is what I’m looking for. I saw a similar dakine product buy the reviews were terrible.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Suburban Dad posted:

It's always that on my bike. Hopefully the frame isn't hosed up from running too little preload and the bearing slapping against it repeatedly. Hopefully test it out again tomorrow.

You feel any play in it?

I kind of hate the “learn to do it by feel” nature of preloading bearings

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You can always buy a torque wrench and torque things to spec.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There really isn't a torque spec published for most headsets. Some might have a maximum but basically it's "tighten until there's no play but not enough that the fork starts to bind". It's one of the things you just sorta do by feel.

It gets really annoying when expander plugs for carbon steerers don't come with a torque spec. That's always fun.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
1.5-2 Nm

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

You can always buy a torque wrench and torque things to spec.

If you like biomechanical feedback, torque wrenches are lovely.

turn turn turn turnclick.

yesssssss

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Man...now I got to get a torque wrench? I always just kind of wing it...

Installing Cushcore is for sure a fun time... Partial Octopus and I got it done though.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I recently got a small torque wrench for regreasing all my suspension pivot bolts. I think it's worth it to know they are done up to the right amount of tight.

My bike also finally does not creak on the climbs again. Win win.

I just bought a basic 1/4" off of Amazon and it seems to do the job well enough.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Man...now I got to get a torque wrench? I always just kind of wing it...

Installing Cushcore is for sure a fun time... Partial Octopus and I got it done though.

Wrenching on motorcycles has taught me that torque wrenches can be useful but mostly aren’t necessary. And sometimes they’re actively harmful, like I’ve snapped a bolt because I dialed in the wrong torque and stupidly kept cranking on it. If I had been using a regular socket wrench I would have stopped at the point my intuition/experience told me yeah that feels tight enough. There are critical bits where it’s good to have the torque just right, and maybe this is one of them. But if you have some wrenching experience you can probably judge torque by feel in most cases.

(I realize this is very unhelpful advice for someone with no wrenching experiencing and thus no feel. Maybe for those a torque wrench and lots of care can be a good way to learn.)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

With lots of carbon parts being clamped etc with bikes it's still probably a good idea to use a torque wrench even if you believe you have good feel

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

ought ten posted:

Wrenching on motorcycles has taught me that torque wrenches can be useful but mostly aren’t necessary. And sometimes they’re actively harmful, like I’ve snapped a bolt because I dialed in the wrong torque and stupidly kept cranking on it. If I had been using a regular socket wrench I would have stopped at the point my intuition/experience told me yeah that feels tight enough. There are critical bits where it’s good to have the torque just right, and maybe this is one of them. But if you have some wrenching experience you can probably judge torque by feel in most cases.

(I realize this is very unhelpful advice for someone with no wrenching experiencing and thus no feel. Maybe for those a torque wrench and lots of care can be a good way to learn.)

Lmao

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

ought ten posted:

I dialed in the wrong torque and stupidly kept cranking on it.

I wonder what the issue is with these whackadoo wrenches.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Levitate posted:

With lots of carbon parts being clamped etc with bikes it's still probably a good idea to use a torque wrench even if you believe you have good feel

Oh that’s a good point, I have not dealt with carbon in any machine

h3r0n posted:

I wonder what the issue is with these whackadoo wrenches.

It’s me

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ought ten posted:

Oh that’s a good point, I have not dealt with carbon in any machine

I mean for mtb it's probably like stem clamps on bars, and dropper posts to make sure you don't tighten them too much and impact the function, and I'd probably do pivot bolts as well just to be on the safe side

but like pedals, cassettes, etc, nah

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Torque specs are for pussies. Just crank that poo poo down and shred! Over-torque everything!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just torque carbon till you hear the first crack and you know it's good

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bottom Liner posted:

Just torque carbon till you hear the first crack and you know it's good

until you hear a crack and then back off 1/4 turn is the usual advice

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I almost didn’t ride today because it was cold and snowing. That would have been a big mistake. I need to ride in snowstorms more often, conditions were amazing. Way better than riding in rain.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Some of the best rides I've had are the ones where the forecast didn't look good but I went out anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-s9bHEfLjE

nate hills came out tuesday, did a vid reel for comba for the two downhills we built for the city we got open right now. I'm working on the third one, gonna be mostly flow with not much rock except at the top. That one may be ready by Memorial Day.