Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So the move the US should make is to stop sending Israel money because they're using that money to commit genocide, right?

Seriously asking, am I missing something or is that the correct read on what's happening right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

JBP posted:

How come Trump didn't win 66% of the votes?

Actually voting for them was too much for that second group?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So the move the US should make is to stop sending Israel money because they're using that money to commit genocide, right?

Seriously asking, am I missing something or is that the correct read on what's happening right now?

Yes. Everyone's pessimistic on that happening though, even after Bibi publicly refuted Biden's "we're getting close to a ceasefire guys! Private diplomacy!" rhetoric.

One of the few things that could get Israel to kowtow to outside forces is if their pointless massacres harm the US money spigot.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

One of the many, but it's a US outpost in the middle easy so why would we? Not defending our actions, just pointing out the logic people are using

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Yeah, albeit that's among a whole bunch of other important things. Stuff like applying pressure to stop the settlers and to return the stolen land, to end the open air prison and blockade, and to demand that palestinians get full representation and full equal rights under law are also crucial as they're all essentially preconditions to any serious attempt at a sustainable peace.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
X-posting from the C-Spam thread because it's pretty impressive.
https://twitter.com/MattCrossin/status/1395130631697289217?s=20

Only 150 out of 65,000 palestinian construction workers operating in Israel showed up to work. 40 million in losses, might have some companies sweating if they keep striking.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 20, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

X-posting from the C-Spam thread because it's pretty impressive.
https://twitter.com/MattCrossin/status/1395130631697289217?s=20

Only 150 out of 65,000 palestinian construction workers operating in Israel showed up to work. 40 million in losses, might have some companies sweating if they keep striking.

Next up: Israel to implement laws against arabs not working saying that through work the palenstinians will be free.

Reminder for people wondering why no one is stopping them is with all the past genocides and ethnic cleansing, other powers didn't do much of anything until after the systematic killings and death camps and mass graves and often for a completely unrelated reason.

Mischievous Mink posted:

At the very least this one looks to be straight from Bibi's lips; https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/netanyahu-absolves-hitler-of-guilt-1.5411578
Dude is an insane freak.

Ok so he didn't just go out to bat for hitler but tried to blame the Muslims too, somehow found a way to make it worse than I thought and sounds exactly like the same kind of stuff hitler said trying to blame everything on Jews.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 20, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I only started reading this thread when the recent war crimes ramped up.

Are there no Israeli goons? What is their opinion on this?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

droll posted:

There are a number in this thread and generally agree with the consensus of "things are hosed up and bullshit".

It's been a while since the thread's seen a committed contrarian eager to defend Israel's occupation or attack Palestinians for refusing to submit to second-class status. Hard to say whether that's because there's fewer people willing to put time into it or if SA has just grown so irrelevant as to slip beneath the radar.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

There was one in GBS that had the most half hearted "both sides" "I don't like having rockets shot at me" but really there's too much dissonance for anyone to not think they aren't the nazis 2.0 outside of the people who already want to be them.
It is the same on other social media, any pro-israel news stories and things politicians say is being restlessly mocked everywhere except by people who have a bunch of wall of MAGA tweets or something.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1395269346147057666

quote:

The United States said Wednesday it opposes a proposed U.N. Security Council resolution calling for a cease-fire in the conflict between Israel and Gaza’s Hamas rulers, reiterating that it could interfere with the Biden administration’s efforts to end the hostilities.

lol, biden actually doing something would interfere with biden's attempts to do nothing

christ biden is such a poo poo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

droll posted:

I only started reading this thread when the recent war crimes ramped up.

Things are hosed up and bullshit. Israel needs to grant all Palestinians full equal rights immediately and lift the blockades on Gaza and the West Bank.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cugel the Clever posted:

There are a number in this thread and generally agree with the consensus of "things are hosed up and bullshit".

:sadwave:
Yup, I can barely keep my sanity at the face of people I know and love just going along with the IDF narrative while obviously struggling with one mother of a cognitive dissonant about still being good people.

I am slightly encouraged that more liberals around the world are willing to criticise Bibi, and that strike actually might be the wisest and strongest act of defiance possible.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Netanyahu aligning himself with Trump has probably pushed more libs in the US to criticize Israel than any of their actual war crimes

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I know that it's too much to hope for Biden to grow a spine and force a ceasefire but how are the rest of the DNC taking this?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

punishedkissinger posted:

Netanyahu aligning himself with Trump has probably pushed more libs in the US to criticize Israel than any of their actual war crimes
This is sadly true

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This is true.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

By popular demand posted:

I know that it's too much to hope for Biden to grow a spine and force a ceasefire but how are the rest of the DNC taking this?

Force how?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just replace "force" with "meaningfully push for"

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 20, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yup. Tribalism at work everywhere.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cut off the ~4 billion a year they dump into Israel as a massive tax-to-warcrime pipeline?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Cut off the ~4 billion a year they dump into Israel as a massive tax-to-warcrime pipeline?

What if that doesn't cause a cease fire?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What if that doesn't cause a cease fire?

Lol, let's cross that bridge when we come to it, man (we will never come to it)

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Have the EU and US send in a whole bunch of military observers to stand around in gaza and watch how quick they stop bombing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As I mentioned in USNews, we make up 28.8% of Israel's export economy. We give them billions in military funding. We protect them from international pressure. We could effortlessly run their blockade by sea or through Egypt (who is paid by us, not Israel, to uphold their blockade) to insert military personnel which would immediately complicate future incursions. There are a lot of things the US could do to force Israel to stop, that we aren't going to do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neurolimal posted:

As I mentioned in USNews, we make up 28.8% of Israel's export economy. We give them billions in military funding. We protect them from international pressure. We could effortlessly run their blockade by sea or through Egypt (who is paid by us, not Israel, to uphold their blockade) to insert military personnel which would immediately complicate future incursions. There are a lot of things the US could do to force Israel to stop, that we aren't going to do.
We won’t even allow a UN ceasefire resolution to get through

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Flannelette posted:

Have the EU and US send in a whole bunch of military observers to stand around in gaza and watch how quick they stop bombing.

didnt help the uss liberty lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OctaMurk posted:

didnt help the uss liberty lol

That was just a prank, bro

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How would inserting US military personnel into Gaza fly with the locals? I'm not sure this is such a great solution.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Flannelette posted:

It's simple: the problem was not enough occupation. We'd be hailed as liberators!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

How would inserting US military personnel into Gaza fly with the locals? I'm not sure this is such a great solution.

If only there would be some way of asking Hamas if they would be receptive to having US or UN forces on the border dissuading the IDF. Nah, we'd have to completely surprise them, this is exactly like Iraq.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's simple: the problem was not enough occupation. We'd be hailed as liberators!

What's your take on the other points that you've glided past to cheerlead on this one, out of curiosity?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's kind of like Iraq, if you think of the Palestinians as the Kurds and the Israeli regime as Saddam. There's even actual weapons of mass destruction to be found!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1395269346147057666

lol, biden actually doing something would interfere with biden's attempts to do nothing

christ biden is such a poo poo

It's almost as if he fully supports what Netanuahu is doing and the claims about him working behind the scenes are a pathetic attempt to save face.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

It's almost as if he fully supports what Netanuahu is doing and the claims about him working behind the scenes are a pathetic attempt to save face.

I'm working with all my diplomatic power, it's just out of frame.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Flannelette posted:

Israel has straight-up bombed UN aid sites before, the idea that there's some red line that would stop them from gleefully flattening Palestinians is maybe a touch optimistic

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm working with all my diplomatic power, it's just out of frame.

You don't know them they're from Canada.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Flannelette posted:

I think the US sending troops to stand around as human shields for Israel to slaughter with the arsenal we pay them billions to buy from us could've only happened under the insanity of Trump.

Probably easier to stop paying them to buy our bombs and blocking all efforts by the international community to hold them to account for their crimes against humanity.

Though somehow the latter is probably far less likely than the former.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Flannelette posted:

This probably would stop most of the bombing, but maybe not the rockets from being launched.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Count Roland posted:

This probably would stop most of the bombing, but maybe not the rockets from being launched.

Actually it just so happens that the observers had set up in a mega-HQ where Hamas trains suicide bomber children.

Gonna have to clear that place out and level it. Weird coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Flannelette posted:

"Biden is gambling with the lives of our troops!" they'd say.