Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

trucutru posted:

Shenmue 4 looking good.

:five:
… I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdn8SNYyjxc

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

I also want to mention that the current levels of supply/demand at the stations is totally invisible to the player without them landing and attempting to buy/sell the good in question. So you can't even know if your trading trip is a giant waste of time until you get there.

Well it’s a good thing that the game doesn’t have crazy long travel times then.

Sarsapariller posted:

Holy poo poo this year's INVICTUS WEEK will include a free leather jacket for attendees!

Think about the value!

Hey Miri-Bot, how many commandos are mad the CIG is giving something free to the unwashed masses?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Joke Miriam posted:

Elite Dangerous has walking now.
Is that game any good? Should I get it?

Impossible to tell, since their servers shat themselves on launch and haven't recovered since.

I did play the tutorial though and it all functioned surprisingly well. I have to dock points though for not crashing, no t-posing, no clipping, no spinning off in random directions, no sudden unexplainable deaths, functioning weapons and hit detection, and probably about 100 other things that technically functioned and therefore were not as fideltious as Star Citizen, which was we know is judged not on what it is but what you imagine it could be (and will never be.)

Fun? It's Elite - I'm sure they found a way to make sure it isn't, but I'll have to wait for the servers to come up to find out how.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Hey Miri-Bot, how many commandos are mad the CIG is giving something free to the unwashed masses?

RSI: Invictus Launch Week 2951 Leather Jacket

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So, CIG pushed 3.13.1 live and also updated their roadmap. They removed most items from 3.14 and split some up into multiple cards to make it seem less barren and people are not happy one bit.

quote:

I called it. There was just too much gameplay planned for 3.14. CIG struggle to add one T0 mechanic. To think they were going to add several at once? It's clear the priority was Fleet Week Pledge Week and development was put on the backburner for an in-game ship showcase event.

quote:

Artists are the only people at CIG that show up to work every day

quote:

been nothing but QoL for over a year man. No end in sight either. New patch for 2022 added to the roadmap and still no Server Meshing, still no Pyro, and major gameplay loops being kicked down the can. Then they have the balls to ask us to buy ships that arent coming out for another year.

loving hell, I've been feeling so positive about the project over the past few weeks and this post just ruined it all.

quote:

Classic CIG to break up Capacitor gameplay into 3 cards to make 3.14 look like it actually has some new gameplay.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nalin posted:

So, CIG pushed 3.13.1 live and also updated their roadmap. They removed most items from 3.14 and split some up into multiple cards to make it seem less barren and people are not happy one bit.

Fudster, you just can't read the Roadmap properly and/or CIG has hidden some items temporarily due to spoilers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Impossible to tell, since their servers shat themselves on launch and haven't recovered since.

I did play the tutorial though and it all functioned surprisingly well. I have to dock points though for not crashing, no t-posing, no clipping, no spinning off in random directions, no sudden unexplainable deaths, functioning weapons and hit detection, and probably about 100 other things that technically functioned and therefore were not as fideltious as Star Citizen, which was we know is judged not on what it is but what you imagine it could be (and will never be.)

Fun? It's Elite - I'm sure they found a way to make sure it isn't, but I'll have to wait for the servers to come up to find out how.

Have you seen the The Raid? Excellent movie. Anyways, it has kind of a de-evolution theme where people start fighting with automatic guns, then regular guns, then switch to swords, then knives, then random pieces of whatever is at hand to club someone, and end up barehanded punching the poo poo out of each other.

Elite is doing the same. From spaceships to buggies and now walking. Soon they'll figure out a way to make the exploration of gigantic alien planets even slower.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol, they took fire extinguishers off the roadmap.

I love this farce.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol, they took fire extinguishers off the roadmap.

I love this farce.

The room system cannot handle the extra gasses introduced by the fire extinguisher. People could suffocate with that stuff in this super fidelituous simulator.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anyways

Quick recap of 3.14

And for some perspective: what the 3.0 they were a few months away in 2016 looked like

Stanton and the constellations are taking quite a while... but as soon as they manage to finetune the pipelines there will an exponential growth in content.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
They delayed "migrating legacy vehicle XMLs to datacore," I don't know what that means but someone itt said it should be pretty simple. Classic code spaghettification?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

L. Ron Hoover posted:

They delayed "migrating legacy vehicle XMLs to datacore," I don't know what that means but someone itt said it should be pretty simple. Classic code spaghettification?

So.... the vehicle specs are already in XML... just.. import the XML...? Am I oversimplifying this

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gravity_Storm posted:

So.... the vehicle specs are already in XML... just.. import the XML...? Am I oversimplifying this

You cannot import your XML to your new storage schema if that storage schema doesn't actually exist.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm just suprised CIG put out the new feature list for 3.14 during ship sales week. Usually they wait until after the hype dies down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nalin posted:

lol feeling threatened by the elite dangerous expansion launch today, they pushed out an update that of course was not ready.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020
I've been puttering around on ED: Odyssey now that it's on full release. Now ED, too, has dead-eyed station NPCs and awkwardly-animated bartenders. However, I have yet to die on an elevator or a ramp, so it seems it has a ways to go before it catches up with Star Citizen.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mirificus has never let me down.

I don't see any anger, perhaps the only time the SC community has risen above my rock bottom expectations of them.

I guess all the jackets from the last one got wiped from their accounts due to a bug or something?

quote:

CIG, thank you for making thsee tied to our account!! I lost all of my jackets so quickly after the last IFW.

quote:

Sweet! No more losing it!

quote:

Wait so we get the jacket this year without risk of suddenly losing it all over again? Hallelujah, This jacket is one of the things ive been the most sore over losing

quote:

NICE!
Thanks guys. Especially great, as last year’s was forgotten to be offered as a pledge, and thus lost eventually in case of persistence failures or wipes.
Is there anything CIG can do right?

:sad:

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

quote:

NICE!
Thanks guys. Especially great, as last year’s was forgotten to be offered as a pledge, and thus lost eventually in case of persistence failures or wipes.

It's funny that the mechanical function of "pledge" - a digital perk assigned to an account - has eclipsed the common language use of the term. I wonder if Citizens are aware that "pledge" now just means a finished digital product, paid for and obtained, rather than money put down for kickstarter daydreams becoming a reality.

"Alpha" is just a tag; the current state of the public server is Star Citizen. All that remains is selling more "pledges", tinkering around the edges, and occasionally revealing a new in-game location venue for buying things.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

trucutru posted:

You cannot import your XML to your new storage schema if that storage schema doesn't actually exist.

this is 4D chess poo poo from CIG.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

Planning to hop back in, and not planning to over spend my time in the drat timesink. Probably just load up the Cutter / Corvette in the hanger, walk around it. Maybe do a on foot planetary mission. Could you see your NPCs? That would be fun.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

no_recall posted:

Planning to hop back in, and not planning to over spend my time in the drat timesink. Probably just load up the Cutter / Corvette in the hanger, walk around it. Maybe do a on foot planetary mission. Could you see your NPCs? That would be fun.

Just got on a few more minutes. Having "played" SC, I basically have to agree with the consensus ITT that even if SC worked it would be dull beyond belief. What I've seen so far is basically SC but functioning. Got out of my ship in the hangar, the scale was actually what you'd expect it to be, not a ship the size of your typical downtown bus. Nothing jittered or glitched, the NPCs weren't T-Posing, every shop and mission giver worked. I had to laugh at the hangar because it almost has to be true that they're making fun of SC at this point, right down to the bartender and people standing around with drinks. Even a place to buy spaceships that has the sales hologram in it. Except it works. So I can take a mission, fly to it, land, get out, do it, and go back for a reward. Which I have absolutely no intention of doing more than a couple of times because it's time-consuming and painfully dull and plodding. But it works.

Which of course is what this is all about. If some company wanted to compete with what SC claims it is going to be, E:D just proved that it can be made. It's up to the developers to find a way to make a decent game loop out of it that respects the player's time and takes out the gamedad drudgery, but those are design considerations and not technical.

No you can't EVA to repair your hull during a pitched fleet battle or climb into the cockpit up a ladder because of brain worms that make abstraction incomprehensible, but you can't do that in SC either, nor will anyone ever. So this is a good starting place to see just how boring something that's technically functional can become.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elite Dangerous has elevators that work.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Star Citizen?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I guess all the jackets from the last one got wiped from their accounts due to a bug or something?

Ever since CIG added Long Term Persistence (so your items and money don't get wiped every patch), Star Citizen has had a bug where your some of your items randomly get wiped after every patch.

The jackets didn't survive after a couple patches.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Is that why that one guy wore 6 jackets, so they wouldn't despawn? This just in, NPC subsumption is in

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Elite Dangerous has elevators that work.

Zelda II has elevators that work and the very first Zelda mastered persistence. Of course it took Nintendo like 14 years to develop each and they didn't have to start from scratch.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
From refunds sub

Salvage will be coming in [insert ~+2 patches]

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Drink mixing gameplay is in

https://v.redd.it/e7icehtfu4071/DASH_720.mp4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
And citizens can't wait to see that Javelin...

https://clips.twitch.tv/FantasticCrazyRatPupper-Cgjnt_6UUGz9WKx5

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
(sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/mHdFXH1.mp4

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Pixelate posted:

Drink mixing gameplay is in

Bartenders hate this trick

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

I swear this game is scarier than Dead Space

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Hey! I don't think their super fidelitious ultra AI is actually in the game. That bartender didn't react to theft at all!
But surely Chris wouldn't lie to me?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidelitious posted:

Hey! I don't think their super fidelitious ultra AI is actually in the game. That bartender didn't react to theft at all!
But surely Chris wouldn't lie to me?

What are you talking about? The bartender clearly knows how dangerous the player is - he could risk getting shot or even worse if he was to react. He thinks of his children at home waiting patiently for the next 30k when he will be able to visit them for few brief moments and chooses not to react, you fudsting fudsterboi!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Honestly, this is great gameplay. I hope you can yank other commando's gun while he's shooting, or take off his helmet. There was video before where dude was picking grenades from other commando's belt. I never was into griefing in games, but this looks like a great place to do it if it wouldn't crash constantly and wouldn't be a giant waste of time all around

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they have the quick-pour spout upside down when pouring.

fidelity!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I'm not sure what it is but looking at the graphics in SC are really starting to feel dated now. I think it's the simple lighting and shadows and the way everything is clean and empty.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Flannelette posted:

I'm not sure what it is but looking at the graphics in SC are really starting to feel dated now. I think it's the simple lighting and shadows and the way everything is clean and empty.

SC was pitched in the x360 generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

punishedkissinger posted:

they have the quick-pour spout upside down when pouring.

fidelity!

True fidelity is the water thing (or whatever it is that commando steals) not being connected to anything.

And I pity the poor fellow that made that bowl of peanuts.