Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TheParadigm posted:

Isn't it more likely that a compromised phone would be a point of access for connecting to the company wi-fi (assuming in a building) in like, the same way that exposed/rootable printers can be turned into connections/gateways to access the rest of the network?

Trusting clients because they are connecting from a specific network should have been abandoned last decade. Things have moved on, there are no obvious security perimeters now when people can work from an office, a tethered smartphone, Wi-Fi on a plane etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Trusting clients because they are connecting from a specific network should have been abandoned last decade. Things have moved on, there are no obvious security perimeters now when people can work from an office, a tethered smartphone, Wi-Fi on a plane etc

I also wish people would stop applying out dated security practices in their daily lives.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dropped in here quite a while ago, coming back around. poo poo that pisses me off right now: the same thing as it has for months, this goddamn undocumented software. I've been searching for the manuals for this software for months now, and of course the sole IT guy who understands it won't disclose it because ~job security~.

Just quoting myself over from white whale thread:

quote:

We use an older (originally from the 90s if not earlier) RedPrairie management software suite for filling warehouse orders. Ancient poo poo, built for VT100 terminals, pure black and white text entry. (Later addition: I've gotten the suggestion from another goon that it may be an AS400 program originally?) This software is hosted offsite through a terminal that obfuscates what the software actually is, and nobody on the IT side will disclose, but RedPrairie only seems to have had one relevant product line until they were merged in 2013 (when our last version dates from). I've been looking for the bloody software manual for months now with minimal to no success. If there's some resources I should be plumbing the depths of, haven't found it yet.

Finding this manual is a Very Big Deal but our own team has totally given up on its existence. I'm not convinced it exists either. But figuring out one specific function in this whole drat thing would let me automate away the core cause of my wrist RSI and maybe actually make a recovery instead of the current prolonging. I've nearly reached the point of reaching out to the company they merged into to see if they maintain old software documentation, despite this never having held true in the past. I'm aware of the odds that this is some custom job and that no documentation exists but I'm gambling on it anyway.

If a future coworker somehow finds this in their own search: run while you still can.
I'd really love to not have to keep worsening a strain injury just to do my job but boy is our software doing its best not to cooperate with that idea at all!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm the support rep that insists on maximizing a putty window on a 27" monitor even though the terminal interface will never go past 80 characters wide and the font size doesn't change.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

has wake on lan ever worked in the history of human kind

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not nearly as well as wake on Ian.

"Hey Ian! Wake up and go boot that server!"

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: Best Buy charged my mom 170 bucks to run their stupid "tune-up" software on her system and declared it faster. System was still slow. Took me ten minutes of interacting with her computer to realize her hard drive was just crazy-slow and on its way out and ordered an SSD and enclosure for her so I can clone it over.

How does Best Buy keep getting away with fleecing seniors and people who don't know better

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: Best Buy charged my mom 170 bucks to run their stupid "tune-up" software on her system and declared it faster. System was still slow. Took me ten minutes of interacting with her computer to realize her hard drive was just crazy-slow and on its way out and ordered an SSD and enclosure for her so I can clone it over.

How does Best Buy keep getting away with fleecing seniors and people who don't know better

I have a zero problems with fleecing a generation that has ransacked the future

edit:

old people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and figure out computers on their own just like millennials had too

edit (I'm having fun with this)

old people should stop buying so many coffees and mcdonald's every morning so they can afford computers that work

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

its all fun and games until its your own mom calling you up for help

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

has wake on lan ever worked in the history of human kind

I got it to work once on my home computer but then when I actually started to rely on it, it stopped working.

So I think that averages out to "almost."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a zero problems with fleecing a generation that has ransacked the future

edit:

old people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and figure out computers on their own just like millennials had too

edit (I'm having fun with this)

old people should stop buying so many coffees and mcdonald's every morning so they can afford computers that work

This is a bad take. Individual people getting ripped off by a giant corporation is just the ultra-wealthy fleecing the "average" folks. And it's not like each individual Boomer is single-handedly responsible for where we are today. They were all subject to the same societal forces, corporate lies, propaganda, etc. Basically, it's a system problem, not an individual problem. It's also not a good look on our industry that something like this exists, And lastly, having your family members who at best don't know any better and at worst are suffering mental decline from old age, get scammed with this kind of stuff really sucks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also lol if "we" aren't also going to make things worse for the generation that follows us, whether we like it or not

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
One of my employees wasted his break and mine last night trying to get me on board with his exciting moneymaking opportunity...investing in dogecoin

I told him I'd rather play scratchoffs and he said oh, I spend a couple hundred a month on that, too.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

One of my employees wasted his break and mine last night trying to get me on board with his exciting moneymaking opportunity...investing in dogecoin

I told him I'd rather play scratchoffs and he said oh, I spend a couple hundred a month on that, too.

It makes sense, they're the same activity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just noticed the amount of Windows update dialogs that reassure me that I can "continue working" while things are happening in the background. I really wish they'd pick better language as it seems almost oppressive.

Just go with "You can keep using your PC" or something.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah what age is Best Buy living in, you’re supposed to be scaring people with rAnSoMwArE and selling them on thousand dollar ISDs with support contracts

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

End users emailing me to ask me if they should delete an obvious phish email. Just delete it! No need to ask permission, geez.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

poo poo still pissing me off: Papercut

Why even have the ability to create multiple devices if it causes the server to poo poo itself every time. Their support keeps having us increase resources on the server, but this is definitely a design flaw causing the problem. They know we're almost at the point of the project being complete so it's almost certainly they're trying to run out the clock on this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mr. Clark2 posted:

End users emailing me to ask me if they should delete an obvious phish email. Just delete it! No need to ask permission, geez.

The ones that dig a spam email out of their junk mailbox and then forward it to someone else, thereby training the spam filter that it was a message they wanted to receive are always the most annoying to deal with

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thanks Ants posted:

I just noticed the amount of Windows update dialogs that reassure me that I can "continue working" while things are happening in the background. I really wish they'd pick better language as it seems almost oppressive.

Just go with "You can keep using your PC" or something.

Haha this made me literally laugh out loud. Hadn't considered it before but you're right -- "keep being productive, drone". Ah what a hellscape mankind has created.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Ratmtattat posted:

poo poo still pissing me off: Papercut

Why even have the ability to create multiple devices if it causes the server to poo poo itself every time. Their support keeps having us increase resources on the server, but this is definitely a design flaw causing the problem. They know we're almost at the point of the project being complete so it's almost certainly they're trying to run out the clock on this.

It is and they are and get ready for weeks-long pending tickets because they have no idea what they're doing. DO NOT SIGN OFF ON ANYTHING UNTIL IT WORKS SUSTAINABLY

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am getting seriously tired of inconsistent implementation in the azurerm terraform provider

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I'm gonna fight Dell. Anyone from Dell. Lowly ticket jockey up to CEO. Michael Dell, if you're reading this, you better get ready for an asskicking.

But first I'm going to take a bat to this god damned VXRAIL cluster. Then I'm throwing it in the North Saskatchewan River. To steal a joke, it'll be a Dell, rolling in the deep.

But seriously, "turnkey" my rear end. I got one 4 node cluster up. The other one is complaining about drives or something, doesn't matter which node is primary, that one complains. Dell support is useless. My ticket gets bounced between CST and IST depending on when I'm not awake.

I'm beginning to hate computers and the people that use them. Gonna move to the woods, start writing a manifesto. I've got the unkempt beard and the crazy eyes already, might as well go whole hog.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to snap and brain someone with a vodka bottle the next time I hear the word stakeholder

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
wrote a PR cleaning up a terraform that included some comments firmly criticizing a team for having a terraform config replete with incorrect values for their code vs prod, a bunch of outdated resource referencets etc. to the point that the readme literally included recommendations to use -target to apply specific resources one at a time so devs didn't break poo poo. I wasn't harsh, but it was pretty matter of fact.

anyways i rewrote it to be more polite, more passive voice, feminine blah blah blah because i don't want to come off like some bitch and highkey hate myself for it

i was literally just bragging to a candidate earlier today about how we had such a welcoming place for women, as a female engineer i feel safe and respected, and i believed everything i said at the time. and here i am four hours later self censoring myself so I don't create poor impressions.

anyways on a related note what are your favourite terraform ci/cd pipelines that aren't terraform cloud, because yikes is it pricey to the point that we can't afford to give all devs a license, meaning their experience is terrible

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 20, 2021

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

wrote a PR cleaning up a terraform that included some comments firmly criticizing a team for having a terraform config replete with incorrect values for their code vs prod, a bunch of outdated resource referencets etc. to the point that the readme literally included recommendations to use -target to apply specific resources one at a time so devs didn't break poo poo. I wasn't harsh, but it was pretty matter of fact.

anyways i rewrote it to be more polite, more passive voice, feminine blah blah blah because i don't want to come off like some bitch and highkey hate myself for it

i was literally just bragging to a candidate earlier today about how we had such a welcoming place for women, as a female engineer i feel safe and respected, and i believed everything i said at the time. and here i am four hours later self censoring myself so I don't create poor impressions.

anyways on a related note what are your favourite terraform ci/cd pipelines that aren't terraform cloud, because yikes is it pricey to the point that we can't afford to give all devs a license, meaning their experience is terrible

Not being an rear end in a top hat doesn’t equate to self censorship. I often draft similar initial takes, especially if I’m pissed, but know to come back later with a clearer head. I use that time to reconsider my position and find softer ways to get my point across. The long term return on building understanding and fostering relationships, regardless of personal feelings/professional judgement, provides more satisfaction and, I have found, with some frequency those connections can help you to achieve your goals(much to my own surprise).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Oh yeah, I’ve definitely done that with emails.

Write the angry one, let it sit as a draft for a bit, then write the professional one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm scared of typing angry into an email client, I'm afraid I'll accidentally send it. I type that poo poo into a text editor so I'd have to c&p to make myself look like an idiot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I don't think that is making it feminine, it is making it have less friction with the team. I (male) don't want to be perceived as an rear end in a top hat, either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

xzzy posted:

I'm scared of typing angry into an email client, I'm afraid I'll accidentally send it. I type that poo poo into a text editor so I'd have to c&p to make myself look like an idiot.

I write messages but I put the addresses in the To: field as the last thing I do

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I write messages but I put the addresses in the To: field as the last thing I do

I send them to myself first and read them on my phone instead of my computer

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Any sort of text-only communication is just loving wonky. It’s hard enough to engage with empathy and manage your tone in a spoken conversation, I’ve had people get upset before about emails and when I went back and read them on my phone I realized all it took was the smaller screen wrapping sentences in weird places to completely change the tone of what I was trying to get across

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Imo there is a higher standard held to women when they have to push back, it's really easy for people to form a mental model of "bitch".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

*Meeting shows up on my calendar, no idea what it is, but it's from our Chief Marketing Officer so I accept*

CMO: Hey, tell me about <product you're the SME for>
Me: Gives basic info
CMO: Okay, we're thinking of selling this in Germany, because <our upmarket similar product> is too complex.
Me: Okay, but just FYI we spent millions of dollars trying to sell my product in Germany 5 years ago. It was a complete failure.
CMO: Why did it fail?
Me: <lists reasons>
CMO: But all of that should be easy to fix, yes?
Me: All of it is fixable, but if it were easy/fast, we would have done it then. It will take time and effort.
CMO: Okay. I think I'm going to push to sell this in Germany ASAP.
Me: Are you sure? Seems like doing the same thing, in the same place, in the same way, without changing any of the things that made it fail the first time... that's just asking for it to fail again.
CMO: I don't agree.

Okay. What the gently caress ever lady. You've got "chief" in your title so it's up to you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's because society is still pretty drat sexist. Men are "supposed" to be bold and strong and women are "supposed" to be pretty and pleasant. Anyone that breaks those molds tends to suffer.

I guess it's getting incrementally better as I get more years behind me, but we're still pretty far from anything being solved.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

klosterdev posted:

Imo there is a higher standard held to women when they have to push back, it's really easy for people to form a mental model of "bitch".

xzzy posted:

It's because society is still pretty drat sexist. Men are "supposed" to be bold and strong and women are "supposed" to be pretty and pleasant. Anyone that breaks those molds tends to suffer.

I guess it's getting incrementally better as I get more years behind me, but we're still pretty far from anything being solved.

thank you

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
More things irritating me: PMs trying to shovel another team's work on me because of staffing issues. It's not my fault that this project didn't have the right analysts assigned from the start, and I'm not carrying the load for figuring out X and Y when we have entire teams that specialize in those topics. Especially since this is for a system wide hospital deployment, and patient care is literally affected by it.

I wouldn't be opposed to be sent for training and certification in these areas but of course they don't want to go that route.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ConfusedUs posted:

*Meeting shows up on my calendar, no idea what it is, but it's from our Chief Marketing Officer so I accept*

CMO: Hey, tell me about <product you're the SME for>
Me: Gives basic info
CMO: Okay, we're thinking of selling this in Germany, because <our upmarket similar product> is too complex.
Me: Okay, but just FYI we spent millions of dollars trying to sell my product in Germany 5 years ago. It was a complete failure.
CMO: Why did it fail?
Me: <lists reasons>
CMO: But all of that should be easy to fix, yes?
Me: All of it is fixable, but if it were easy/fast, we would have done it then. It will take time and effort.
CMO: Okay. I think I'm going to push to sell this in Germany ASAP.
Me: Are you sure? Seems like doing the same thing, in the same place, in the same way, without changing any of the things that made it fail the first time... that's just asking for it to fail again.
CMO: I don't agree.

Okay. What the gently caress ever lady. You've got "chief" in your title so it's up to you.

Translation: She spent the last year sitting on her rear end and is trying to find something, anything to put out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Someone is having problems with a Citrix app, on every computer.

Make a child ticket for it that bounces around between teams before it just ends up back in my queue.

Thanks for nothing I guess. The whole point was that I do not have the access to fix this and it's just going to sit there to end up on aging ticket reports and being asked why I haven't closed it yet. I don't know, maybe it's because the only people who can help blew me off?