Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
New Batman cartoon picked up straight to series for HBO Max and Cartoon Network headed up by Bruce Timm, Matt Reeves and...:sigh: J.J. Abrams.

While the Abrams...and even the Timm association unfortunately have me weary, the Golden Age design and this quote have me excited:

"We are beyond excited to be working together to bring this character back, to tell engrossing new stories in Gotham City. The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also new, a series on young Lois and Clark:

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1395020195148836874

Really digging the Owl House-esque look, won't lie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Nanigans posted:

New Batman cartoon picked up straight to series for HBO Max and Cartoon Network headed up by Bruce Timm, Matt Reeves and...:sigh: J.J. Abrams.

While the Abrams...and even the Timm association unfortunately have me weary, the Golden Age design and this quote have me excited:

"We are beyond excited to be working together to bring this character back, to tell engrossing new stories in Gotham City. The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world.”

Give me a Cassandra Cain show you cowards

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nanigans posted:

I might get flack for this but I've always hated when they give Batman's 'ears' this type look. I get stylistically why it's done but I don't like it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

X-O posted:

I might get flack for this but I've always hated when they give Batman's 'ears' this type look. I get stylistically why it's done but I don't like it.

I think most people prefer the more straight look, myself included. But they've never done this style for a full series in animation, and I don't hate it. Plus, it sounds like they're going for a golden age vibe, so it fits.

I think TNBA had the best Bat-design in all of animation. JL and JLU's ears were way, way too long.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dawgstar posted:

Glad that the short season 3 is just a lead in to Owl House Shippuden.

Very, very interested in this one. Sounds like it could be extremely cute.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My least favourite concepts in any Batman costume redesign are 1. making the costume too ornate for someone who jumps around and punches people and 2. making it look cybernetic.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Halloween Jack posted:

My least favourite concepts in any Batman costume redesign are 1. making the costume too ornate for someone who jumps around and punches people and 2. making it look cybernetic.

On the other hand for 2, Batman Beyond

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Batman Beyond doesn't look cybernetic, at all. It looks like a bat-man-shadow thing, which is exactly what Batman should look like. I'm talking about the ones that are very obviously not a Bat-Man, but a man in bat-themed tactical gear with lots of obvious techno-greebles.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Halloween Jack posted:

Never look up the McFarlane Batman figures. Your eyes will ignite in your skull. :barf:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's okay. I've already read the Elseworlds where they used all of the rejected Batman redesigns.

VVV: Why is Bow in this cartoon and why can't we see his midriff?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 19, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Lois is generally a more fun character to focus on. A screenshot like that kinda reminds me of the DC Nation animated shorts.

And I guess a black Jimmy Olsen? Sure, why not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't care when they made Jimmy Olsen Black in Supergirl, but a space alien Jimmy Olsen is a little too far afield.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nanigans posted:

I'm so over darkbats. Looking at this just makes me feel tired.

Dawgstar posted:

Now this is more like it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lois is generally a more fun character to focus on. A screenshot like that kinda reminds me of the DC Nation animated shorts.

I miss the DC Nation shorts. They were so, so good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Same.

Interested in this show for the noir aspect. I know Abrams' involvement has people wary but how involved will be really be? Being an executive producer doesn't necessarily mean much. Can't imagine Spielberg was hands-on with Tiny Toons telling animators to tone down Dizzy's slobber by 25%.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Dawgstar posted:

Give us the Himbo Superman we deserve.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so over darkbats. Looking at this just makes me feel tired.

Now this is more like it.

Both can be good. Also, the fact that this show is stated to focus more on noir and psychology has me optimistic it won't just be a copy/paste of BTAS.

Lobok posted:

Same.

Interested in this show for the noir aspect. I know Abrams' involvement has people wary but how involved will be really be? Being an executive producer doesn't necessarily mean much. Can't imagine Spielberg was hands-on with Tiny Toons telling animators to tone down Dizzy's slobber by 25%.

Spielberg was surprisingly involved in the shows that bore his name. Even Freakazoid. I desperately hope that's not the case with Abrams.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What did Spielberg do?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lobok posted:

What did Spielberg do?

He was fairly involved with the shows that's all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nanigans posted:

Both can be good. Also, the fact that this show is stated to focus more on noir and psychology has me optimistic it won't just be a copy/paste of BTAS.

I don't think trying to recapture BTAS has been Batman's problem. That show had a darkness to it, but it had hope and camp and fun, too. I'm just tired of Batman focusing on being dark and moody and gritty.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ok, I'm extremely interested. I am very down for a Golden Age-noir show. Lois and Superman looks like fun too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think trying to recapture BTAS has been Batman's problem. That show had a darkness to it, but it had hope and camp and fun, too. I'm just tired of Batman focusing on being dark and moody and gritty.

I mean, looking at past Batman cartoons since BTAS, discounting DCAU, there was The Batman which definitely was lighter in tone, Brave and the Bold - yuh, and Beware the Batman which I can't comment on, but did lean into "dark" as far as I can tell. Then there were all of the old 70s/80s Batman cartoons which were definitely lighter in tone. I'd say Batman has had more lighthearted shows than not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

What did Spielberg do?

Just glancing at the Animaniacs wikipedia page wherever his name pops up: personally approved all of the side characters, cast Slappy Squirrel's voice actress (show writer Susan Stoner gave him an impression of what she thought Slappy should sound like and he said "you should do it"), pushed and got Animaniacs to use an original score and a full orchestra for their music, got an Animaniacs theatrical short produced as promotion for the show and made sure as much of the original voice cast as possible was brought back for the new Hulu version.

Day to day, who knows, but this is not the description of someone who just takes a check so a show can have their famous name on it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Nanigans posted:

I mean, looking at past Batman cartoons since BTAS, discounting DCAU, there was The Batman which definitely was lighter in tone, Brave and the Bold - yuh, and Beware the Batman which I can't comment on, but did lean into "dark" as far as I can tell. Then there were all of the old 70s/80s Batman cartoons which were definitely lighter in tone. I'd say Batman has had more lighthearted shows than not.

Beware the Batman did pair Bruce with Katana who you didn't really see anywhere (I believe this was before SS) and had Agent 47 Alfred.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Beware the Batman did pair Bruce with Katana who you didn't really see anywhere (I believe this was before SS) and had Agent 47 Alfred.

I haven't seen Beware the Batman, and I'm sure they didn't kill anyone in it, but Batman's whole "we must take the bad guys in alive" thing loses a lot of it's punch when his sidekicks are either wielding a sword or double fisting hand guns like Chow Yun Fat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Day to day, who knows, but this is not the description of someone who just takes a check so a show can have their famous name on it.

I didn't think it was like that. Assumed he had a hand in putting together the creative team who would make the show but peaced out after that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

People are already throwing a fit over Lois' hair in Up and Away. It is... boyishly short.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Someone who works 20 hours a day wants more easily manageable hair? The shock and horror.

Have they seen a reporter who wasn't on television?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen Beware the Batman, and I'm sure they didn't kill anyone in it, but Batman's whole "we must take the bad guys in alive" thing loses a lot of it's punch when his sidekicks are either wielding a sword or double fisting hand guns like Chow Yun Fat.

I watched about half the series while I had a month of HBO Max, it was pretty good but Alfred notably is not quite as active as the promotional stuff made it seem and doesn't really go guns blazing. Katana's sword though, I mean... we kinda just assume that heroes with swords are good enough to be non-lethal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Got an image of the Cast for the new Superman including Clark as Superman

Also yeah if Clark slumps a bit it's kind of hard to recognize him as Superman.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hmmmm who's the girl on the right?

Also loving Lois' design

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who’s that on the far right? Cat Grant? Superman doesn’t have that many recognizable friends once Lois and Jimmy Olsen are accounted for.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Be funny if it was one of the News(people) Legion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hmmmm who's the girl on the right?

Also loving Lois' design

Apparently part of the Newsboy/girl/people Legion. I do remember how Young Justice had them be the Scooby Gang from Incorporated complete with the Fred equivalent's dad being the mayor and the Cop that sounds like Patrick Warburton.

Also agreed I do like that Lois.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Got an image of the Cast for the new Superman including Clark as Superman

Also yeah if Clark slumps a bit it's kind of hard to recognize him as Superman.

I really like this art style and how they're getting personalities across just through poses and body language.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss the days when people’s pant legs went down to the tops of their shoes. Must be getting old.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
new lois cartoon looking good

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That Lois design by itself has me more excited for this Superman show than every single bit of news about the Batman show

What do you even do with Batman at this point? You've got balanced Batman in TAS, action-focused The Batman, team-up focused Batman on Brave and the Bold, and ongoing narrative over in Young Justice. Well, I guess technically that last one could probably be done a bit better, with an actual focus on the Bat family, but the fact that it's the golden age design in the illustration gives me doubts that we're going to see a lot of the expanded cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's a good Lois Design. I quite like the coat.