Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It’s not weird to not want to replay a game entirely because of the ending, right? I'm thinking of Far Cry 5 specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Made a video breaking down the levels in Tomb Raider (1996) with animated maps and stuff after replaying it recently on Steam. Still holds up imo.
https://youtu.be/GiToc0SYkds

Wish these would get a remaster on consoles.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

nice page

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I heard a little bit about Biomutant when I went inside the Gamestop to purchase Pokemon Snap and the only thing my brain absorbed was "it's got bullet time" because every other sentence was totally generic video game speak about customizable characters play the way you want open world exploration

yeah, it feltm ore like they mashed together a bunch of random videogame mechanics they liked and then tried to shoehorn in a world and story around it. i was looking for even just like "you're a little ratman trying to defeat the evil bingbongs" but they dont even have that its like "oh uhhh pick one of 8 teams and like, well you can change teams if you want, but at the start you pick a team"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Forget about the sex number, when's the hex number

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

FirstAidKite posted:

Forget about the sex number, when's the hex number

Another 597 pages

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rinkles posted:

It’s not weird to not want to replay a game entirely because of the ending, right? I'm thinking of Far Cry 5 specifically.

Pretty much the reason I'm not getting Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Yes, I'm still mad.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Khanstant posted:

yeah, it feltm ore like they mashed together a bunch of random videogame mechanics they liked and then tried to shoehorn in a world and story around it. i was looking for even just like "you're a little ratman trying to defeat the evil bingbongs" but they dont even have that its like "oh uhhh pick one of 8 teams and like, well you can change teams if you want, but at the start you pick a team"

Okay yeah I think I'm watching this video now and this is not inspiring. It seems like a very bad sign that they need an explanation video for their game and at two minutes they're talking about how "you can repair weapons, but weapons don't break over time, so there's no durability like BotW, but some items you find are pre-broken and you can fix them, which is like an upgrade" like dang dude could you maybe talk about like, something cool that happens in the game instead?

e: okay wow yeah this is like, the worst advertisement for a video game I've ever seen. "So there's like, good guys and bad guys. The good guys want to like, save the world, and make sure the world lives, and then the bad guys want uh...the opposite. They wanna do like, a cleansing or something."

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 20, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Unreal_One posted:

Another 597 pages

The number of the beast is actually 616.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was interested by all the gameplay trailers for biomutant as opposed to pre-rendered stuff, but despite there being so much promo material, none of it really seems to say much

less than a week to go, in any case

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Man Kentaro Miura died, Playing idolmaster games in heaven now :smith:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

A quick google is telling me that "Biomutant is a post-apocalyptic Kung-Fu fable, with a unique martial arts styled combat system allowing to mix melee, shooting and mutant ability action."

I'm not really sure that even says anything tbh

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hatty posted:

54 is way too soon. :smith:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1o4O2SfQ5g

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

hatty posted:

Yeah, just saw the news :/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

At least Guts got off the boat

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arzaac posted:

A quick google is telling me that "Biomutant is a post-apocalyptic Kung-Fu fable, with a unique martial arts styled combat system allowing to mix melee, shooting and mutant ability action."

The combat system seems really deep. For powers, you've got the bio mutations, which are like...one of them is a mushroom that lets you jump. and once you're in the air you could uh, like, attack. and then for psi abilities you could levitate, which uh, also makes you jump kind of, and you can also do attacks that way too

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Barudak posted:

At least Guts got off the boat
And restored Casca's psyche yeah.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm worried it'll be another western game with a bunch of somewhat interesting-sounding systems that still only amount to a pretty generic open world action game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I'm worried it'll be another western game with a bunch of somewhat interesting-sounding systems that still only amount to a pretty generic open world action game.

the only actual objective that any of the trailers have shown so far is "go to this enemy encampment, clear it of baddies, and loot all the crates"

v:v:v

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

Berserk might well go down as the greatest unfinished masterpiece of its medium. I was never the biggest Berserk fan, but I read through most of it, and it's pretty undeniable that the world's lost a master craftsman far too soon.

Arzaac posted:

I'm giving it a pass. It has the strong smell of a game that spent 9/10ths of its budget on its admittedly very impressive visuals and world design, with the remaining pennies going towards scouting out whatever open world stuff was successful in the past three years and copying it verbatim.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i first heard about berserk via a magazine article on the dreamcast game of all things

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electromax posted:

Made a video breaking down the levels in Tomb Raider (1996) with animated maps and stuff after replaying it recently on Steam. Still holds up imo.
https://youtu.be/GiToc0SYkds

Wish these would get a remaster on consoles.

I saw your post on twitter, really cool vid, nice work. I especially like the map renders you've got showing the whole map from different angles.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i got a purple parse for the first time on DNC tonight and im feelin nice

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hatty posted:

noooooooooooooooooo

Guts will never get revenge on Griffith :smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

On his stream of Bowser's Fury Tim Rogers told the story of when he first read Berserk. He was in Japan and went to a love hotel with a guitarist that was 18 years older than him. Afterwards she was reading a Berserk manga and smoking a cigarette and asked him if he had read Berserk. He said he hadn't started it yet so she tossed him volume one

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

noooooooooooooooooo

Assume he dies killing him in a distant, unwritten future.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the only actual objective that any of the trailers have shown so far is "go to this enemy encampment, clear it of baddies, and loot all the crates"

Conan! What is best in life?

tbh all i know about it is it's got a pretty sweet fur shader, for some people maybe that's enough.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

finished up anodyne 2 today, after playing it (and some pokemon sword) through a web continuing ed conference today. good rear end game, highly recommended. understandable if the aesthetic(s) don't vibe with you. i think it's really well served if you go in to it blind.

Anodyne 2 is so so good. I love it not even because of what it does as a game, but rather as a creative endeavor. I'm not quite able to put it as eloquently as I'd like and I'm tired besides but, games are all about artifice, yeah? The whole "don't look at the man behind the curtain" thing is so ingrained into the medium that 4th wall breaks are relegated to jokes and thank-you-for-playings. Players are so far removed from the actual sausage-making, that we don't even think about the people making it possible until they take a bow. Anodyne 2 doesn't really bother keeping up the pretense. It has an barely-veiled in-game commentary reel on the game design for crying out loud.

I'm not sure how much of it was intentional, and how much of it is me looking for something I didn't know I was hungry for, but Anodyne 2 is not so afraid of letting on to the fact that, yeah this is a game. It is someone's creation. It was made by people. Two, in fact. They put in jokes that that they thought were funny and not all of them land but it's ok. They got to draw up worlds and write character arcs and wouldn't you like to see where we take them? It is less so a blockbuster production and more of a person telling you a story across a campfire, because they thought it a story worth telling, and you seemed receptive. So much of game design is a dialogue between player and developer! And so much of it is quiet. This one is, at least to my ears, very very loud. Top to bottom, it screams that it was the thing some people wanted to make. It meant quite a bit to them. Maybe it will mean something to you too.

It certainly did to me! It did what only my favorite pieces of art do: it made me want to create something. If I ever make something as honest and sure of it itself and crystal clear as Anodyne 2, I'll be very very happy. In the eve of Miura's passing, that desire is twice as strong.

That's just the metatextual poo poo, I'm not even gonna spoil the actual details. Also, that soundtrack. Goddamn if you don't take anything else from my post at least take a listen.

good rear end game. play it if you have ever wanted to put a bit of yourself in something. drawing, acting, cooking, loving bowyering.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My most significant Gamer Accomplishment this year so far tbh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My most significant Gamer Accomplishment this year so far tbh

this picture frightens me

it exudes a menacing energy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/EliteFourJosh/status/1395248528553766913?s=20

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried anodyne 2 a while back but the graphics hurt my eyes and the first hour or so was boring

I probably could have powered through the boredom given the rave reviews, but not the eye pain

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

noooooooooooooooooo

One of the founding classics of Chinese literature, a book you can literally get a college degree in on mastering, is unfinished and there are four competing endings written (or "found") by other people. Nows the time to shine

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What are the most Berserk games I can play in honor of KM? Is a Black Iron Tarkus build, the closest I can get?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

One of the founding classics of Chinese literature, a book you can literally get a college degree in on mastering, is unfinished and there are four competing endings written (or "found") by other people. Nows the time to shine

miura allegedly placed a full outline of the story in his editor's care in case he shuffled off unexpectedly, but there's no way anyone could, or would, try to create an official extension in manga form. the guy's skill was peerless

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

redreader posted:

What are the most Berserk games I can play in honor of KM? Is a Black Iron Tarkus build, the closest I can get?

The Berserk musou game is on Steam

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

redreader posted:

Dark Souls series is definitely the best Berserk inspired games.

Dragon's Dogma had Guts and Griffith's armor sets, and is a pretty Berserk style world, although the special armors only exist on the console version and not the PC IIRC. Game is still pretty metal regardless.

There are a few official Berserk games, the latest one is a Musou game and it got mixed reviews so I never got it, but it seems reasonably fun if you like dynasty warriors games.

The old Dreamcast Berserk game is classic, but requires emulation, and is now kinda old and janky controls.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, who the gently caress else can draw like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Also, who the gently caress else can draw like that.

yeah that's what i was getting at, there's some great mangaka out there but no one really approaches the full combo of miura's aesthetic, technical skill, and (often detrimental) attention to detail

the only manga i can think of that was anywhere near as dense was BLAME! and that was only in landscapes, tsutomu nihei couldn't draw the human figure a tenth as well as miura could. yusuke murata can put together some great panels but still not as consistently as berserk's. beyond those two guys i've got nothing!