Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh yeah that tracks I mean the average eBay prices and poo poo. it feels like a good way to test my "mining premium" hypothesis as shown by the 3060->3060ti which was about 400 bucks there, I wanna see if we see similar huge gaps between the same model number.

e: particularly wanna see if the current issues beyond the scope of this discussion really cause any positive impact and how soon .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone know if any more RTX versions of old games are in the works? I finished Quake2RTX the other day and had a blast with it, wouldn't mind reliving some old FPS with the RTX goodness again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Q2RTX is based on one guy's university research project into real-time raytracing. Passion/research projects like that are the only way you'll get more old games in that style, because there sure isn't any money in it.

It might be easier to port other games that use the Q2 engine. Then you could look forward to such things as:

- Heretic II
- SiN
- Soldier of Fortune
and
- Daikatana

Maybe when DirectX Raytracing really takes off, so people can use that instead of the NVidia-specific extensions, it'll be a thing? There's some nutjob out there who keeps making updated renderers for old Unreal Engine games, like UT and Deus Ex, and the newest DX11 one has all kinds of crazy poo poo like dynamic tesselation built in. Maybe one day we could play UT99 RTX.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When I think of games that I'd like to see Quake 2 RTX remake, it's games like Sacrifice, Messiah, Giants Citizen Kabuto, Shogo Mobile Armor Division, MDK, and Oni

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Q2RTX started as some guys research project (under the name Q2VKPT) but it got picked up by Nvidia's Lightspeed Studios and further refined into what became Q2RTX

Lightspeed was hiring for a while with the express purpose of doing more retro remasters but nothing has come of it so maybe they dropped the idea :/

Someone else is adding RT to the Mario 64 decompilation project which is neat because it can replicate the look of the offline SGI renders Nintendo showed off back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChqP2ecA8qE

It's very WIP though, it's currently using the OptiX denoiser which really isn't intended for realtime applications

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

SoFRTX would be uh awesome

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

When I think of games that I'd like to see Quake 2 RTX remake, it's games like Sacrifice

Hell yeah, this would rule. I tried playing the original off of GoG but for some reason trying to upscale it to 1080p added a weird black border and you could see underneath the level geometry etc

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe when DirectX Raytracing really takes off, so people can use that instead of the NVidia-specific extensions, it'll be a thing?

not sure what you mean, standard directx raytracing launched alongside turing, directx never had nvidia-specific extensions for raytracing

vulkan did have an nvidia-specific flavour of raytracing until khronos got around to standardizing it but almost nobody uses vulkan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
has anyone gotten anything from shopblt? All I see are sketchy vague etas on reddit

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

SoFRTX would be uh awesome

:hellyeah:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe I'm confused but I thought that there were specific hardware advantages to using the RTX cards for raytracing work. Like that a 3070 and a 6800 would have basically identical raster performance, but the 3070 would be much faster at raytracing jobs, and not just because of DLSS. The engine you're using would therefore have to implement those hardware optimizations. DXRT is hardware-agnostic, so again my understanding was that it doesn't necessarily take advantage of the RTX hardware.

Am I wrong about the nVidia hardware advantage? If the hardware advantage does exist, does DXRT just seamlessly use it without having to configure anything specific?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
re : sourceports etc : give it time. In a few years you'll be seeing plenty of people who've been toying with RT for a few years and understand the principles of how to be efficient as well as the other things needed to integrate it into source ports, and you'll start seeing everything RTX. It'll be a fun time to be a fan of old games, that's for sure. It'll also take work to convert baked lighting to light sources, but I think like everything else in retro gaming glow-ups it will eventually be common. Can't wait for path traced Jedi Knight and Deus Ex.

FuturePastNow posted:

The 3080 FE was $699

The tariffs are still in place for Americans so I think even if the cards are readily available, the best case we can expect is that + 20%

If this truly is the big crash ending to the current crypto boom, we may do better than that. Last time there were several month periods where you could get 1080 Tis below MSRP.

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe I'm confused but I thought that there were specific hardware advantages to using the RTX cards for raytracing work. Like that a 3070 and a 6800 would have basically identical raster performance, but the 3070 would be much faster at raytracing jobs, and not just because of DLSS. The engine you're using would therefore have to implement those hardware optimizations. DXRT is hardware-agnostic, so again my understanding was that it doesn't necessarily take advantage of the RTX hardware.

Am I wrong about the nVidia hardware advantage? If the hardware advantage does exist, does DXRT just seamlessly use it without having to configure anything specific?

Nvidia has more and better RT hardware in their GPUs. DLSS is the real software-side advantage and it's not RT-specific. If you take that out of the picture it's just that Nvidia hardware can do more rays faster.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Can't wait for path traced Jedi Knight and Deus Ex.

just imagining swinging a raytraced lightsaber around in JK2 gives me a big boner

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

DXRT is hardware-agnostic, so again my understanding was that it doesn't necessarily take advantage of the RTX hardware.

DXR is hardware-agnostic but pretty high level (conspicuously so considering it slots into the otherwise very low level DX12 framework) which gives the driver a lot of wiggle room to take advantage of different underlying hardware for raytracing acceleration. It's probably a smart move at this point where nobody really knows what the ideal set of trade-offs are for RT hardware and it would be premature to bake any major assumptions into the API.

Apparently it's a different story on consoles though, they're committed to RDNA2 so they can play with the RT hardware on a lower level basis already.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sagebrush posted:

just imagining swinging a raytraced lightsaber around in JK2 gives me a big boner

the blasters are ray tracing though?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mutata posted:

Oh, don't worry. We're all in full red noses and squeaky shoes at this point. Anyone who's been looking to land a GPU for longer than a couple weeks has done some stupid dorky poo poo to try to get one and failed.

Yeah I was actually committed for a while thanks to people I’ve “known” for almost two decades (without ever physically meeting!) because they recognized my psychosis quick enough for me to bring it up to my parents for assessment. My physician got me a bed with restraints and knocked me out for a few days until I’d slept and been back on meds. All because I couldn’t sleep due to waking every night multiple times to alerts on gpu drops. I got through it and changed tactics once I was discharged.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I want to see path traced Descent. It's still the only game I've ever witnessed cause someone to vomit while playing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

I want to see path traced Descent. It's still the only game I've ever witnessed cause someone to vomit while playing.

Path traced Descent in VR would be quite a thing

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I recently played through Descent: Destination Saturn and it holds up IMO. Overload is a nice homage but fails to capture... something. Bring on Destination RTX.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

change my name posted:

Hell yeah, this would rule. I tried playing the original off of GoG but for some reason trying to upscale it to 1080p added a weird black border and you could see underneath the level geometry etc

There are vids on YouTube that rebuild WoW zones in UREngine 4 just for the hell of it, and Skyrim has had modded redo and upgrade all the original graphics to photorealistic. I am tempted to buy the Skyrim SE on sale for 50% off on Steam because of ss and movies, but I can’t find if it includes the dlc. If it doesn’t, it’s not worth it because the mods fixed the game a decade ago.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Q2RTX is based on one guy's university research project into real-time raytracing. Passion/research projects like that are the only way you'll get more old games in that style, because there sure isn't any money in it.

It might be easier to port other games that use the Q2 engine. Then you could look forward to such things as:

- Heretic II
- SiN
- Soldier of Fortune
and
- Daikatana

Maybe when DirectX Raytracing really takes off, so people can use that instead of the NVidia-specific extensions, it'll be a thing? There's some nutjob out there who keeps making updated renderers for old Unreal Engine games, like UT and Deus Ex, and the newest DX11 one has all kinds of crazy poo poo like dynamic tesselation built in. Maybe one day we could play UT99 RTX.

uhh I'd play the poo poo out of RTX Heretic II and Soldier of Fortune

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

has anyone gotten anything from shopblt? All I see are sketchy vague etas on reddit

They're legit - I've ordered an SF600 from them when everywhere else was sold out. I was on their waiting list for the SF750 when I managed to snag one from Corsair's website. No muss, no fuss cancellation on that one. Before this shitshow it seems like most of their revenue came from B2B sales because every single order seems to be filled by hand by a sales agent, and you can still order up to 50 video cards at a time. :lol:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
if everyone's remaking movies and TV shows from the 80s and 90s, there's absolutely a lot of money in nostalgia with a modern twist. sure, why not just remake old games with raytraced render engines

FuturePastNow posted:

So will low framerates make the vertigo worse or better?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gimmie a raytraced city builder.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Shipon posted:

if everyone's remaking movies and TV shows from the 80s and 90s, there's absolutely a lot of money in nostalgia with a modern twist. sure, why not just remake old games with raytraced render engines

So will low framerates make the vertigo worse or better?

I seem to remember Descent on a 486 being pretty tolerable without a lot of barfing in my peer group. Descent's also a meager fraction as demanding as Quake II, though that won't matter much with path tracing and additional materials and resources meant to augment the experience. I'd like to think an RTX 2060 wouldn't be more puke-inducing than a DX2/66...

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

mutata posted:

Hairworks for every fully simulated citizen and I need rtx to bounce the light off their greasy foreheads at the end of the day tia

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Gamermeld has several GPU related news items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuB07wOcL1Y

One of them make the 'still early to tell' claim about crypto tanking leading to a GPU market resale rush & scalper crash that we're all hoping for.

Honestly if that is what is happening we still probably won't see GPUs become widely available for at least a couple months.

CoolCab posted:

he was certainly a...puzzling culture fit, really. I'll tell the truth - when I had to go trawling to find my current card on some of the worst discords in the world - like, they're kind of all like that? our hobby is mostly horrible people unfortunately.

I'm very curious what the price variance will be between LHR and the current variant? I hope whoever was doing those average price posts includes them I am very curious.

If he did wind up selling me a 3070 at MSRP+shipping like he originally was going to, I would probably be saying 'he was a weird fit for here, but he did me solid.' But nah, he didn't follow through on that.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 20, 2021

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I tried through the discords and streams to get alerted that did not work. I hit up my entire professional and personal network and could not find a way to cut the line or get an edge. I went to a pretty competitive business school and have friends that are in industry and basically all I am hearing is that the products are destined for retailers that they can't even get their way in on it. The only people I know at retailers carrying electronics just see graphic cards as another handful of SKUs and are happy to hear that they are sold out. The supply is getting eaten up basically as fast as it is processed into an inventory system that there is no place for line cutting.

I know someone who has a small YT channel but a friend at EVGA and he could get a card for some sort of sponsored video but it would not be until 2022.

I am almost tempted to by a scalper card at this point because I don't see this getting better based on what I am hearing from everyone that I have reached out to. It's that or I fully give up or I get a bot and try to fight fire with fire. I would run the bot but I don't think I am technical enough to really figure it out without spending a ton of time on it.

I don't think this is against the rules but if anyone is technical in this thread that wants to combine your technical skill and my money. I am willing to buy a bot (Stellar) and put down all the money up front. You run it and just get our two cards, we split the cost of the bot afterwards ($250 each) and retire the bot. AFAIK bots are not illegal so this shouldn't be a shady proposal or a rule break. I am taking on all the risk by buying the bot and giving you the license to run it.

PM me

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 20, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Spacedad posted:

Gamermeld has several GPU related news items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuB07wOcL1Y

One of them make the 'still early to tell' claim about crypto tanking leading to a GPU market resale rush & scalper crash that we're all hoping for.

Honestly if that is what is happening we still probably won't see GPUs become widely available for at least a couple months.

If he did wind up selling me a 3070 at MSRP+shipping like he originally was going to, I would probably be saying 'he was a weird fit for here, but he did me solid.' But nah, he didn't follow through on that.

I'm highly skeptical of that claim. Nvidia reps have consistently stated publicly and at meetings that GPUs will be hard to get through the end of the year, so I'm not buying the idea that this current crypto dip is gonna be a panacea. Given how highly speculative and volatile that whole crypto market is, who's to say it won't shoot back up in another month or two and cause another huge rush? Maybe the LHR might ease things a bit, but it's gonna be interesting to see if scalpers and botters continue to eat up supply instantly. My guess is that maybe the secondary market contracts a bit, but you'll still be paying 1.5-2x MSRP on the resale market instead of 3x MSRP for a 3080.

mA fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 20, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

I tried through the discords and streams to get alerted that did not work. I hit up my entire professional and personal network and could not find a way to cut the line or get an edge. I went to a pretty competitive business school and have friends that are in industry and basically all I am hearing is that the products are destined for retailers that they can't even get their way in on it. The only people I know at retailers carrying electronics just see graphic cards as another handful of SKUs and are happy to hear that they are sold out. The supply is getting eaten up basically as fast as it is processed into an inventory system that there is no place for line cutting.

I know someone who has a small YT channel but a friend at EVGA and he could get a card for some sort of sponsored video but it would not be until 2022.

I am almost tempted to by a scalper card at this point because I don't see this getting better based on what I am hearing from everyone that I have reached out to. It's that or I fully give up or I get a bot and try to fight fire with fire. I would run the bot but I don't think I am technical enough to really figure it out without spending a ton of time on it.

I don't think this is against the rules but if anyone is technical in this thread that wants to combine your technical skill and my money. I am willing to buy a bot (Stellar) and put down all the money up front. You run it and just get our two cards, we split the cost of the bot afterwards ($250 each) and retire the bot. AFAIK bots are not illegal so this shouldn't be a shady proposal or a rule break. I am taking on all the risk by buying the bot and giving you the license to run it.

PM me

The botting groups are selling access to the bot because they've wrung all the usefulness out of it and see the writing on the wall. Don't waste your money, things are very likely going to be much different in 2-3 months.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Managed to grab a Zotac 3070 Twin Edge tonight! I'm so happy I managed to get it at retail price.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Went down the Best Buy and shockingly, the shelves of Graphic Cards were empty! Totally devoid of cards. Puzzled, I went to Amazon.com (the largest internet retailer) and yet even there I was unable to locate a modest Graphics Card. Anyone know where I can find one of these things? Madness!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

gradenko_2000 posted:

When I think of games that I'd like to see Quake 2 RTX remake, it's games like Sacrifice

You know they say all men are created equal, but you look at Fauxtool and you look at the average SH/SC poster and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE!

See, normally if you go to buy a GPU you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But Fauxtool’s a botting freak, and he’s not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best to beat him to checkout! And then you add Chinese crypto farms to the mix? You-the chances of winning drastically go down.

See, the 3-Way at Newegg Shuffle, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But Fauxtool! He got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz Jeffrey of YOSPOS KNOOOWS he can't ban him, and he's not even gonna try.

So, SH/SC, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus Fauxtool’s twenty five percent chance (if you was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning at Newegg Shufffle.

But then you take Fauxtool’s 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if you was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, Fauxtool’s got a 141 2/3 chance of winning at Newegg Shuffle! Señor Jeffrey? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Newegg Shuffle!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Shipon posted:

The botting groups are selling access to the bot because they've wrung all the usefulness out of it and see the writing on the wall. Don't waste your money, things are very likely going to be much different in 2-3 months.

Name of the game is patience right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bloodysabbath posted:

You know they say all men are created equal, but you look at Fauxtool and you look at the average SH/SC poster and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE!

See, normally if you go to buy a GPU you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But Fauxtool’s a botting freak, and he’s not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best to beat him to checkout! And then you add Chinese crypto farms to the mix? You-the chances of winning drastically go down.

See, the 3-Way at Newegg Shuffle, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But Fauxtool! He got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz Jeffrey of YOSPOS KNOOOWS he can't ban him, and he's not even gonna try.

So, SH/SC, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus Fauxtool’s twenty five percent chance (if you was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning at Newegg Shufffle.

But then you take Fauxtool’s 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if you was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, Fauxtool’s got a 141 2/3 chance of winning at Newegg Shuffle! Señor Jeffrey? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Newegg Shuffle!

Glorious.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DerekSmartymans posted:

There are vids on YouTube that rebuild WoW zones in UREngine 4 just for the hell of it, and Skyrim has had modded redo and upgrade all the original graphics to photorealistic. I am tempted to buy the Skyrim SE on sale for 50% off on Steam because of ss and movies, but I can’t find if it includes the dlc. If it doesn’t, it’s not worth it because the mods fixed the game a decade ago.

I have Skyrim: SE on Steam and it seems to include all the standard expansions/DLCs baked in.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I don't think that's going to work either unless you seriously want to dive deep down the rabbit hole...

https://imgur.com/FBu6oxM

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

mutata posted:

You made me google it and it appears that City Skylines can support RT with some mods and fiddling with settings.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SirTagz posted:

You made me google it and it appears that City Skylines can support RT with some mods and fiddling with settings.

Looks like that's just the usual crappy ReShade SSR/SSGI, not proper RT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

EconOutlines posted:

I don't think that's going to work either unless you seriously want to dive deep down the rabbit hole...

https://imgur.com/FBu6oxM

God drat