Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/EndGameWW3/status/1395167851586236422

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Anecdotal evidence but it seems like Hindu Nationalism is being absorbed by younger Indian diaspora kids. A couple of the people I knew from High School are turning out as fash.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
all the kids are turning fash because they dont have anything else to believe in

except for the communists for some mysterious reason

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

just gonna pull poo poo out of my rear end and pass it off as facts

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Agrajag posted:

just gonna pull poo poo out of my rear end and pass it off as facts

Keep it up and you'll have a sinecure at a think tank in no time.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
a sinocure

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Do people in China actually identify as Han or is regional identity a thing. Like Fujianese, Cantonese, and Mandarin are as different as Bengali, Gujarati and Hindi right?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
nordstream going ahead, biden meeting with putin (not sure what putin's going to get out of meeting president mush brain tbh) and the natsec complex is looking to stabilize relations? wtf is going on

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1395168391611158528

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the only person ive ever heard explicit say "minorities aren't real chinese people" was a guy from hong kong

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ToxicAcne posted:

Do people in China actually identify as Han or is regional identity a thing. Like Fujianese, Cantonese, and Mandarin are as different as Bengali, Gujarati and Hindi right?

minnanhua (fujianese) guangdonghua (cantonese) and putonghua (mandarin) are less mutually intelligible, I think, than spanish/french/italian... but like those they are kinda similar enough to make learning one easier if another is your native tongue but not immediately mutually intelligible if you never heard it before. Sichuanese is pretty mutually intelligible with mandarin, like spanish/italian or even closer I guess.

People know if they are an ethnic minority or not and what province/region/city they are from but I wouldn't say it's a big part of people's identity. Maybe Beijing and Shanghai people are more proud to be from their city, not to have moved there, if their family has been in that city for generations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this guy (a polyglot) became popular before he sadly passed away recently, especially for all his talents. but i love these videos where he'd talk to a woman in a chinese restaurant in ohio who was from fujian and could speak a little bit in her dialect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W78uO4MU2bU

also this is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plaeFx8PYRA

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 04:16 on May 20, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

isn’t that just a self driving bus
it's a bus! it's a train! it's a bust!

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Han Chinese identify as Chinese in general and don't talk much about being "Han" specifically, but there are very strong regional identities (e.g. those from the northeast). Ethnic minority status is a massive part of most minority people's identities, as they will have their own separate language and culture and traditions and food to the Han people. CCP ideology of unity in diversity and minority peoples being "different, but the same" has been largely successful in integrating/assimilating the different people of China outside of some groups in Tibet and Xinjiang.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/ForeignAffairs/status/1394974434046455814

the famously paranoid south koreans currently on month five of waiting for daddy biden to come back from the gas station with his new and improved korea policy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Seems like bad timing to publish that with Taiwan covid outbreak story starting to pick up more.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ToxicAcne posted:

ive only ever seen white people say/write/refer to "han chinese" as a thing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ah yes Taiwan never let their guard down against covid

Now let me take a big sip of water while checking worldometers

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
like you wont be able to find any chinese people walking around saying "i identify as han"

its quite literally a super western white people poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
other events demonstrating south korean cultural propensity toward preparedness: that time the redbaiting party was in control of the country and did not have the slightest goddamn clue how to respond to a large domestic ferry sinking in slow motion with no outside interference

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Agrajag posted:

like you wont be able to find any chinese people walking around saying "i identify as han"

it will be written on your ID card and you need to write it down on some official documents

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Being Han (or not) definitely comes up a lot in situations where people might be from different ethnic groups too, like in parts of Yunnan where there is a lot of ethnic diversity.

I got my first Sinovac jab in Hong Kong from a young HK doctor who said he was of the Miao ethnicity, but it only came up because I told him I work with ethnic minorities. In HK people don't really talk about being Han or not because they think of themselves as, first and foremost, Hong Kongers.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Rabelais D posted:

Being Han (or not) definitely comes up a lot in situations where people might be from different ethnic groups too, like in parts of Yunnan where there is a lot of ethnic diversity.

I got my first Sinovac jab in Hong Kong from a young HK doctor who said he was of the Miao ethnicity, but it only came up because I told him I work with ethnic minorities. In HK people don't really talk about being Han or not because they think of themselves as, first and foremost, Hong Kongers.

“uyghurs aren’t real chinese people. by chinese we mean han only. youre some kind of nerd for even being aware there are ethnic minorities in china” - one of my hong kong coworkers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

“uyghurs aren’t real chinese people. by chinese we mean han only. youre some kind of nerd for even being aware there are ethnic minorities in china” - one of my hong kong coworkers

lol

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Agrajag posted:

You never heard it in the "affirmative action :bahgawd: " way?

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

mila kunis posted:

wtf is going on

Anti-Slavic racism was an essential component of Nazism.[12] Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party regarded Slavic countries (especially Poland, the Soviet Union, and Yugoslavia) and their peoples as non-Aryan Untermenschen (subhumans), they were deemed to be foreign nations that could not be considered part of the Aryan master race.[1]

White immigrants weren’t always considered white — and acceptable

Italians, Greeks, Poles, Hungarians, Slavs and other European groups had to overcome prejudice over many years

https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/973502197400031232

Adolf Hitler initially attempted to avoid a two-front war as he engaged and crushed his opponents successively. In 1940, however, he failed to beat Great Britain in the air battle and in 1941 attacked the Soviet Union. Great Britain in relative safety on its island remained unbeaten and managed to maintain the western front. Hitler also failed to neutralize Great Britain and avoid a two-front war.

State Department Official on China Threat: For First Time U.S. Has 'Great Power Competitor That Is Not Caucasian'

US State Dept fires Kiron Skinner, who made ‘clash of civilisations’ comment on China, over ‘abusive’ management style

Slip-up or signal? What US official’s ‘clash of civilisations’ remarks suggest

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
The Punti–Hakka Clan Wars were a conflict between the Hakka and Cantonese people in Guangdong, China between 1855 and 1867. The wars were fierce around the Pearl River Delta, especially in Toi Shan of the Sze Yup counties. The wars resulted in roughly a million dead with many more fleeing for their lives.

The problem was not that the two groups spoke a different tongue. In fact, the "locals" comprised different peoples speaking several mutually unintelligible tongues, as was typical of the Chinese countryside all over southern China, but they would regard each other as "locals" or Puntis, but exclude the Hakkas from such designation.

The Hakka (Chinese: 客家), sometimes Hakka Han,[1][4] are a Han Chinese subgroup whose ancestral homes are chiefly in the Hakka-speaking provincial areas of Guangdong, Fujian, Jiangxi, Guangxi, Sichuan, Hunan, Zhejiang, Hainan and Guizhou. The Chinese characters for Hakka (客家) literally mean "guest families".[5] Unlike other Han Chinese subgroups, the Hakkas are not named after a geographical region, e.g. a province, county or city, in China. Modern day Hakka are generally identified by both full Hakka and by different degrees of Hakka ancestry and usually speak the Hakka language.

The Secret History of the Hakkas: The Chinese Revolution as a Hakka Enterprise Mary S. Erbaugh Few China scholars or Chinese citizens know one of the most basic facts about Deng Xiaoping, Hu Yaobang, Zhu De, Chen Yi, Guo Moruo or many other modern leaders: they are all Hakka. Most popular and official histories, in China and abroad, ignore this basic ethnic bond.

Zhou Zhenhe (1991:48) claimed that the major south-ward migrations between the pre-Zhou and West Jin dynasties gave birth to the various non-Mandarin (Southern) dialects and the later migrations after different periods of West Jin, Yuan, Qing dynasties shaped the fundamental pattern of their dialectal geography.

Cantonese (traditional Chinese: 廣東話; simplified Chinese: 广东话; Yale: Gwóngdūng wá) is a language within the Chinese (Sinitic) branch of the Sino-Tibetan languages originating from the city of Guangzhou (also known as Canton) and its surrounding area in Southeastern China. It is the traditional prestige variety of the Yue Chinese dialect group, which has over 80 million native speakers.[1

Use an indegeous old village in Guangzhou for example, they speak a kind of Yue dialects, which is not the standard Cantonese. The village has 祠堂 recording immigration history tracing back to Song Dynasty.

That`s why we can still find the phenomenon in today - people go out the villages, when they speak with others in the cities, they use Standard Cantonese. When They come back to their villages, they use their mother langues which is similar to Cantonese, the Tang Song languages.

Linguists estimate that there are around 75 regional languages in France! Some of these are taught in schools, including Occitan, Breton, Basque, Corsican, Alsatian and certain Melanesian languages such as Tahitian. Every year, 400,000 pupils learn a regional language in France’s state-run and private schools.

My grandma was born in 1920 in the countryside, didn’t study and never traveled a lot, and basically only spoke her native language (western Venetian). Of course she perfectly understood Italian, from radio, TV, etc. but could not speak it without a lot of local variations (not just accents, I mean plain wrong usage).

She was far from dumb, perfectly aware of the languages and stuff, she just never spoke Italian and so couldn’t do it at all.

If she met a similar grandma coming from the Sicily countryside, I am quite sure they couldn’t have understood each other.

Southern Min (simplified Chinese: 闽南语; traditional Chinese: 閩南語; pinyin: Mǐnnán yǔ; lit. 'Southern Fujian language'), Minnan (Mandarin pronunciation: [mìn.nǎn]) or Banlam (Southern Min pronunciation: [bàn.ɾám]), is a group of linguistically similar and historically related Sinitic languages that form a branch of Min Chinese spoken in Fujian (especially the Minnan region), most of Taiwan (many citizens are descendants of settlers from Fujian), Eastern Guangdong, Hainan and Southern Zhejiang.[1]

https://twitter.com/notXiangyu/status/1366132450544545794
https://twitter.com/notXiangyu/status/1395251775679213568

huhwhat has issued a correction as of 07:21 on May 20, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The languages in coastal provonces (Guangdong, Fujian etc) that are more "distinctive" and have closer lineage to old Chinese tongue than various mandarin dialects in the Yangtze river delta and Yellow river delta. One main reason is the coastal regions saw less civil wars and had less migrations of people in different dynasties. For example, even though the Taiping movement was found by the Hakka people but the major battles was in the Yangtze river delta and the political center was in Nanjing.

The distinctive regional culture and language in southern China is more comparable to other parts of Asia, such as Northern Myanmar. But these regional Chinese languages still belong to the same Sino-Tibetan language family, because there was a original wave of migration around the Qin era.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

the han sandwich race

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/BluRoofPolitics/status/1394996961254813700

https://twitter.com/AskAKorean/status/1394999027318546442

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

If his point is the East Asians strength in fighting Covid is willingness to give up individual freedom for common good, then it's impossible for the west to learn.

Which brings me to a related problem, I don't know if Confucianism covers Japan, probably not.

Most would probably say it does, at least if including Neo-Confucianism. The original was Imperial-aligned in opposition to the Buddhism of the nobles, and Japanese wuxing thought and dualism also were heavily influenced by Confucianism and thus thus slotted in well with the Imperial responsibilities of high priesthood, but even after the decline into feudalism Cheng-Zhu Neo-Confucianism, sparked by an early mission and then enhanced by Southern Song refugees, held on and was eventually elevated to the official national ideology during the Shogunate (when it provided an austerity-localist, loyalty-based, metaphyiscal counterargument to dissenters' appeals to the authority of the metropolitan, universalist, and religious Emperors.)

Said wuxing thought was also culturally relevant enough to provide a group perceived quite similarly to Western alchemists.

That said, loving lol that "take care of your fam, bruh" has to be an inscrutable Orientalism in these people's minds rather than something Anglos are uniquely turned against.

"As you may know, the word 'China' in Chinese is pronounced 'zhong guo', which literally means 'Middle Kingdom', or in plain English, 'the Netherlands.'"

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Interestingly, what you say about Cantonese is similar tio Punjabi as well. Many of the Punjabi "dialects" are actually full blown languages like Hindko and Saraiki. The same is true of man Hindi "dialects" such as Bhojpuri, or Rajasthani.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Do it again but about the Greeks this time. "Oh, so all the gods just happen to live on that hill over there?"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

This sounds like India. In Hindi we even have slurs/derogatory names for all the other types of Indians.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This sounds like India. In Hindi we even have slurs/derogatory names for all the other types of Indians.

is there anything in India (or China for that matter) like the Cagots where there’s literally no basis for discrimination but it happens anyway and nobody knows why or how it began

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

is there anything in India (or China for that matter) like the Cagots where there’s literally no basis for discrimination but it happens anyway and nobody knows why or how it began

no, asian racism is logical and rooted in fact

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

you know what I mean!!!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

Yeah as you can see here on the chart we got the brahmins at the top and the dark skinned untouchables at the bottom.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mila kunis posted:

nordstream going ahead, biden meeting with putin (not sure what putin's going to get out of meeting president mush brain tbh) and the natsec complex is looking to stabilize relations? wtf is going on

Killing two birds with one stone. It removes a source of friction between the US and Germany and lowers tension with Russia as the US tries to focus on China.

Anyhow let's look and see how Taiwan's water supply is holding up.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-19/taiwan-rations-water-as-drought-adds-to-covid-woes-tsmc-acts

-Supplies to Taoyuan City and New Taipei City’s Linkou District will be curbed from May 21.

-Companies in the Hsinchu and Taichung parks will need to raise their water-savings rate to 17% from 15% currently, should supplies need to be tightened after June 1.

-The weather bureau predicts Taiwan won’t have sizeable rainfall until the first half of June.

-If there is less than 100 millimeters of rain in reservoir catchment areas by May 31, more steps will be taken. Supplies to the key tech city of Hsinchu will be limited to just five days a week from June 1, and there will be revolving cuts to districts in Miaoli, Taichung and Changhua.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Killing two birds with one stone. It removes a source of friction between the US and Germany and lowers tension with Russia as the US tries to focus on China.

what changed their minds? they seemed dead set on a maximalist "challenge every enemy on every front, piss off all our allies, defeat nordstream" till like..last month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Just to add, It's my understanding that there was a lot of buy in from aboriginals when the KMT reorganized along Communist Party of the Soviet Union lines and became more of a "meritocracy."