Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

That was a one issue anniversary special.

I thought he had a mini in the last infinity thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that was just one of the standard tie in things like the Heroes Reborn stuff coming out now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

It's a fine choice. There's multiple Raptors out there and having a new guy with the name lets people start from a fresh perspective because it's not like anyone but me and like five other people care about Darkhawk continuity.

My brother is always complaining about how weird and complicated they made Darkhawk, so yeah a fresh start is probably a good call, but it did catch me by surprise to see them go with a new character.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Defenders is Al Ewing and Javier Rodriguez, so I'm hype as hell for that book.

Who's on Darkhawk?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Defenders is Al Ewing and Javier Rodriguez,

Oh poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Defenders is Al Ewing and Javier Rodriguez, so I'm hype as hell for that book.

Who's on Darkhawk?

Kyle Higgins. The guy that's writing that cool new book Radiant Black and Image. Before that he apparently completely revitalized the entire Power Rangers canon through the comics. So it seems like people with magical suits of space armor is kind of in his bag.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-O posted:

Kyle Higgins. The guy that's writing that cool new book Radiant Black and Image. Before that he apparently completely revitalized the entire Power Rangers canon through the comics. So it seems like people with magical suits of space armor is kind of in his bag.

he's also the guy writing the Ultraman book guy goodbody is moaning about every week so take from that what you will

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alaois posted:

he's also the guy writing the Ultraman book guy goodbody is moaning about every week so take from that what you will

I take pretty much nothing from those posts as I have no prior or current care for Ultraman. Licensed comics rarely are good anyway. When I'd seen he'd done a highly regarded reboot of the Power Rangers I was surprised as I don't normally associate Power Rangers as something that could even really be highly regarded. It always just seemed kind of like lazy cheap kids after school stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I take pretty much nothing from those posts as I have no prior or current care for Ultraman. Licensed comics rarely are good anyway. When I'd seen he'd done a highly regarded reboot of the Power Rangers I was surprised as I don't normally associate Power Rangers as something that could even really be highly regarded. It always just seemed kind of like lazy cheap kids after school stuff.

There are probably more people (at least on this continent) who take Power Rangers lore more seriously than Ultraman lore.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Higgins has like a perfect 50-50 record. His books tend to either be really good (Power Rangers apparently, COWL) or utter trash (Ultraman, Nightwing). He can deliver some great stuff, but at the same time not many people care enough about him to bother.

I mean, he is still just doing Power Rangers poo poo over and over. Why should I bother with his Darkhawk if I am not reading Radiant Black? Or alternatively why should I read his Darkhawk I am already reading his Radiant Black?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That Power Rangers book was pretty hot for a while there. Having the main villain be an evil future Green/White Ranger was the perfect choice, and later including some of the other Ranger teams besides just the originals, helped bring in even more people beyond the nostalgia crowd.

It was fun, but nothing spectacular if you were never into Power Rangers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe we'll get a Darkhawk omnibus that stops at #25, also known as the point where the original series turns to 100% horseshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nothing about the original run of Darkhawk is "known".

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Higgins' Power Rangers books were definitely great -- a good blend of the edgier, more realistics stakes of modern comics with the old cartoonish earnestness -- but I have to give major props to the current PR series writer Ryan Parrott for...uh...also doing that, I guess?

Seriously though, the current Power Ranger books are great too and it's actually kind of astounding that at this point we've had years and years of this franchise just being consistently enjoyable...in comic book form, of all things.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I am in way too deep on Power Rangers/Super Sentai to have anything resembling an objective point to make about Higgins books, so I'll just point out he was able to make me sick of the Green Ranger which is something Marvel has not managed to do with Wolverine or Venom or Deadpool despite those characters having been around for anywhere between 10-30 years longer. He did what Donny Cates and Daniel Way failed to do.

The first issue of Mark Russell's F4 Life Story is out this week and while I thought it was generally good, I can't help but feel it could've done with a lot less JFK and a lot more Galactus. But that's probably me expecting it to follow the "HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS DECADE" format of Zdarsky's Spidey book too closely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I enjoyed F4 Life Story and was impressed to learn that Mark Russell can write comics that don't beat you over the head with satire.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
I grew up as an avid reader of Marvel Age - to the point where I had a subscription for 5 years and actively sought out back issues at shops and shows. One of my favorite parts every month was Fred Hembeck’s 2 page cartoons, which I thought were always hilarious. I also learned about cool new projects Marvel was doing, like the slick looking Marvel Masterworks reprint collections of classic stories, unedited and in chronological order.

If you would have bet me that almost 35 years later, in May of 2021, a Brother Voodoo Marvel Masterworks collection was going to be released, I would have lost every dollar I ever had or ever would earn.

Somewhere, Fred Hembeck is smiling. His long con has finally paid off.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Marvel Age was great. I read a bunch of back issues several years back and always wanted to go back and read them all. Some of the interviews were really good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
f4 life story didn't really seem to focus on the f4 much at all. i think reed talks to jfk more than he does johnny.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was really into Darkhawk as a kid without ever reading the comics if that makes sense. I just though the character concept was really cool but all my money was tied up in the X-verse.

Open Marriage Night posted:

That Power Rangers book was pretty hot for a while there. Having the main villain be an evil future Green/White Ranger was the perfect choice, and later including some of the other Ranger teams besides just the originals, helped bring in even more people beyond the nostalgia crowd.

It was fun, but nothing spectacular if you were never into Power Rangers.

This sounds cool and I didn't know it was out there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They even got Jason David Frank to film a trailer for the comic.

https://youtu.be/bUsKEifgs48

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I was never into Power Rangers as a kid and am enjoying the comics. They aren't the top of my list or anything, but they are good and fun and that's all I want.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Open Marriage Night posted:

They even got Jason David Frank to film a trailer for the comic.

https://youtu.be/bUsKEifgs48

drat I didn't know I needed this in my life so much.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

X-O posted:

Yeah Marvel Age was great. I read a bunch of back issues several years back and always wanted to go back and read them all. Some of the interviews were really good.

One of the earlier issues they did was when Sol Brodsky passed away. Sol was a production manager at Marvel in the 60s and helped keep the wheels turning while Stan did all the up front stuff and wrote dialogue. He never pencilled or wrote or inked a book, he wasn’t the face of the company, and he was only known to real insiders. Yet that issue of Marvel Age devoted over half of its pages to the life and times of Sol Brodsky as told by people who worked with and for him. For me it was my first real exposure to that 60s “bullpen” feel that they always talked about, and it was amazing. Great oral history stuff, great interviews, and a lot of classic artwork. It was truly touching to see how they reacted to his death. It’s a shame that when Kirby passed away in 1994 they barely devoted 2 pages to him.

Marvel Age, until about 1992, was the gateway to EVERYTHING in the marvel universe. Every single book coming out in a given month was listed, along with a plot description and creative team. Every new project and upcoming series, no matter how huge or obscure, was given some hype. They had great interviews and unused artwork and features on books from the past and an ongoing history of the Marvel Universe feature and letters to books that didn’t have letters pages and everything. They had Fred Hembeck cartoons and a calendar of staff members birthdays and 5 page previews of upcoming books and even brought back Forbush Man as an unofficial mascot.

If you really want a good slice of Marvel history, go seek them out. It’s well worth your time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
august solicits

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Probably going to pick up Amazing Fantasy just for that sweet cover art.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh poo poo :eyes:

quote:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ANNUAL #1

AL EWING & JED MACKAY (W)

e: land, cho, watch out, a new challenger has entered the arena

site fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 20, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Her front leg looks smaller than her back leg.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Her front leg looks smaller than her back leg.

I believe you're being fooled by a seam down the side of the suit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

I believe you're being fooled by a seam down the side of the suit.

Why is there shadowing there? I see what you mean and I think the fault is on the colorist, but it just looks weird.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

How is that portion of her hair sticking straight up? Is it glued to her leg?

Are we...are we seeing the moment of her falling from a great height onto her neck? :ohdear:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

How is that portion of her hair sticking straight up? Is it glued to her leg?

Are we...are we seeing the moment of her falling from a great height onto her neck? :ohdear:

Didn't notice that, but, since you brought it up, the first place my head goes is that scene in There's Something About Mary.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think, i think, its supposed to be the fur trim on her calves hanging down and blending in to her white hair, but it's not rendered particularly clearly

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Static electricity

Or jizz

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

i think, i think, its supposed to be the fur trim on her calves hanging down and blending in to her white hair, but it's not rendered particularly clearly

Nah, she's supposed to have just landed, so her hair is swooshing as she falls.

omnibobb posted:

I was never into Power Rangers as a kid and am enjoying the comics. They aren't the top of my list or anything, but they are good and fun and that's all I want.

Ryan Parrott's benefitted from them finally deciding 'gently caress it' and saying that the books aren't connected to the original series but are their own reboot, so you can have poo poo like the current storyline where Kimberly ex is the new Green Ranger and Jason, Zack and Trini are off in space hanging out with Ecliptor and Karone from Power Rangers, er, In Space.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alaois posted:

This is correct. I guess not enough people are reading the excellent goon written book to be familiar with her costume. For shame!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Looks like Darkhawk is a mini

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

X-O posted:

This is correct. I guess not enough people are reading the excellent goon written book to be familiar with her costume. For shame!
I am reading it but it's not my fault the character named Black Cat has white fur :saddowns:

Gaz-L posted:

Ryan Parrott's benefitted from them finally deciding 'gently caress it' and saying that the books aren't connected to the original series but are their own reboot, so you can have poo poo like the current storyline where Kimberly ex is the new Green Ranger and Jason, Zack and Trini are off in space hanging out with Ecliptor and Karone from Power Rangers, er, In Space.
The Earth-based book is decent enough for sure, but I'm completely hooked on the types of stories being told with the Omega Rangers in space right now. Not only do we get to see (in a hella retconned way) what Jason Zack and Trini were doing after the show unceremoniously booted them off to Switzerland or wherever, but it's also a series about these, y'know, formerly cookie-cutter characters having to compromise their cookie-cutter ideals to deal with a greater threat, having ends that justify their shady means...except, well, they're not really doing that. They're still heroic young characters, they're still Power Rangers. And the story, even with the latest issue, will vindicate them for still behaving like Power Rangers should even in the face of very bleak choices. It's hard to explain. But I'm loving it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

site posted:

oh poo poo :eyes:

e: land, cho, watch out, a new challenger has entered the arena

It's weird to see such a cheesecake-y cover still feature one bit of """ugly""" anatomic reality in the form of a double chin appearing when holding your chin up to your chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Roth posted:

Looks like Darkhawk is a mini

He's 5'9" which is about average.