Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They do, they just have a hardcoded limit on "number of edits" and seem to silently drop the ones that fall outside that. Looking at the raw save file it's either "the last 255 locations" or "the last 15000 discrete edits" but I'm not going to dig too far into it.

For the record they also have an extremely hard cap of "20,000 items placed per save file", at which point you can't so much as drop a portable save beacon without deleting something else. I only found that out after putting together a cluster of "every resource I could ever need" farms that were between 1k and 4k items per, and then tried to put together a slapdash 5-total-items portal base.
nah what I mean is save the raw data for any chunk that's been edited, rather than the edits that have been made to it, e.g do what Minecraft does. I get this wasn't possible at first when they had insane save-file constraints on PS4, and probably didn't make sense before base building either, but now building bases with insane terrain edits is a thing and save-file size constraints isn't I wish they'd fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Last thing to do is glass bead.. it's going to suck, you need to go to like 5-10 underwater ruins.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

tater_salad posted:

Last thing to do is glass bead.. it's going to suck, you need to go to like 5-10 underwater ruins.

God that one sucked so much. The thing in the nautilus that detects those kept sending me back and forth between two. Put down a save device at each one you visit so you know if it's sending you back to one that you've already done.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nullsmack posted:

God that one sucked so much. The thing in the nautilus that detects those kept sending me back and forth between two. Put down a save device at each one you visit so you know if it's sending you back to one that you've already done.

Yeah I've been doing 1 per planet so far. I'm going to try and do 2 a day because it's a bit grindy / frustrating. pull in freighter.. land on planet, pull in nautilus then hit scan.. if no ruin around fly again then hit button and hope you find one.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I actually got that one from a wrecked freighter in space.
Imagine my surprise.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I just started this game last week. I don't think I'll be able to finish the expedition, but I do have to say I like the head start it gave. The game feels like such a slog before you have actual inventory space, and my main account following the story is nowhere near getting it or a freighter. Meanwhile my expedition character is at 2 milestones completed and already has a maxed out main inventory, freighter, and and S class welfare multitool and ship.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

I just started this game last week. I don't think I'll be able to finish the expedition, but I do have to say I like the head start it gave. The game feels like such a slog before you have actual inventory space, and my main account following the story is nowhere near getting it or a freighter. Meanwhile my expedition character is at 2 milestones completed and already has a maxed out main inventory, freighter, and and S class welfare multitool and ship.

you're going to have a bad time 30+ missions is a grind 50/60 waypoints mapped, 50 storm crystals etc are all real grindy.

Ssthalar posted:

Imagine my surprise.

Wow that's awesome, way better than hitting up so so many underwater ruins.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

tater_salad posted:

you're going to have a bad time 30+ missions is a grind 50/60 waypoints mapped, 50 storm crystals etc are all real grindy.

Wow that's awesome, way better than hitting up so so many underwater ruins.

Yeah, I'm not viewing it as something I'll actually get done. Just gonna try to get as many as I can that aren't too tedious and maybe a last minute scramble on stuff I'm close to but not finished with. I already got enough goodies to have a character decently set for exploring and chilling out. The 30 explorer's missions, the underwater thing, and mapping another 25 uncharted star systems probably aint happening.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ssthalar posted:

Imagine my surprise.
I did as well which was very relieving.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

fast cars loose anus posted:

Found this guy yesterday

Overly-literal genie strikes again!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I admit my definiton of "grind" has been forever and permanently skewed by Elite Dangerous but imo the "60 waypoints" one is the only one that's actually a grind if you leave it to do all at once.

Explorer missions can be stacked, and even the ones that make you go to a specific location like "scan planet fauna" can be cheesed if you go out ~5kly and get the red "reset to local area" icon-- they'll all point to the same place and have the same criteria if you reset them while standing in one spot. I ignored these until late and then just went back down my station teleporter list and grabbed the explorer guild quest from each station I had already visited.

The underwater ruins thing was a bit of a pain but the quickest way to get it done for me was
- Scan for underwater ruins
- Fly my ship to the island closest to it, making sure my ship's rear end was pointed in the direction of where I came from
- Nomad over to it
- Swim down (nautilus usage optional)
- Talk to the thing for a story snippet, skip sticking around to look for treasure
- Scan for more ruins, and if my ship's rear end was pointed at the result just fly in a straight line for ~30 seconds and try scanning again until I got a different ruin to pop

Storm crystals are best snagged with a gold heat resistance upgrade (for a flat 2 minutes of fire immunity per ion battery) on a firestorm planet so you can just melee jetpack around for miles at a stretch, and I think I got like 30/50 crystals during one storm stretch on the second rendezvous planet

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Oh on the topic of long travel, is there a way too zoom out and see for example just how far away you are from say the rendezvous checkpoints? A portal error sent me very far away from things but I rolled with it since it put me in a relatively unexplored area, but I wanna know if I'm even a jumpable distance from the next rendezvous point or should just teleport back to a space station on track, rather than keep going here.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Not that I'm aware of, NMS's map functionality is perpetually exceptionally limited-- you can scroll across the galaxy and see anything, eventually, but marks on things are limited to a...200-500ly, maybe? bubble around your camera position. I managed to guess the general direction of one rendezvous point from the previous one like twice total based on the plotted course, but across the galaxy you're effectively SOL. Your best bet would probably be some third party map and plot the position of your current glyphs vs. "near the rendezvous" glyphs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

Oh on the topic of long travel, is there a way too zoom out and see for example just how far away you are from say the rendezvous checkpoints? A portal error sent me very far away from things but I rolled with it since it put me in a relatively unexplored area, but I wanna know if I'm even a jumpable distance from the next rendezvous point or should just teleport back to a space station on track, rather than keep going here.

If you can find a portal, here's the address for the 5th rendezvois which will get you "not far" from the other ones you can backtrack or something." honestly once you get here you can zoom about, you don't need to take the route they suggest I did their jumps in a lot less steps because my ship was capable of jumping much farther than each step had.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Finally also took the time to get the permadeath acheivement; being able to just grab the golden ship as soon as I got to the space anomaly definitely makes it easier since you go from hm I hope no one sees me in space to instantly able to do hunt pirate missions.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
New Community Expedition is up. It's only 2 weeks long apparently. A lot of the challenges seem to be simple but I can't currently see the tier 5 challenges, they're all garbled. I assume they unlock once you do something like complete all the other challenges, or get to that rendezvous. The first few can be done very easily. You also start with access to a freighter.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I"m kind of burnt out from the last one I will be taking a break from NMS for a little bit.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I just picked up NMS again because I’m annoyed I don’t have the last 2 achievements so I’m making a permadeath run. I have a couple million units and I’m trying to scrape together some Nanites for upgrades. Right before I stopped l found a random traveller grave so I have a single portal glyph. That should be enough to get me close to the center via a portal right? Then I just need to get some hyperdrive upgrades. Might focus on Freighter upgrades since they go further.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I"m kind of burnt out from the last one I will be taking a break from NMS for a little bit.

The challenges I can see are almost all pretty easy. In fact, I completed tier 1 in 30 minutes or so. I'm just not sure what tier 5 is yet. The hardest one I can see is a challenge to discover 10 systems. The first rendezvous is a portal and you get one glyph at a grave next to your ship when you find it.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Burned through the new expedition this afternoon, spoilers ahead.

Part of the reward for getting to the final rendezvous (they're all portals near colossal archives) is a doohickey called the "historiographical dosimeter." Getting there also unscrambles the first of the scrambled missions which is to take said doohickey to three alien artifact locations. That unscrambles the next mission which is an expedition-wide bottleneck, requiring everyone to help with the community research project of using the doohickey on a bunch more alien structures presumably.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
How do you start the new expedition? When I go to make a new game it says "expedition completed" on the panel for that game type and won't let me start one

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
You might need to go into the save for the first one first. It'll tell you that it will convert it to a normal save. Once it does, save and then exit out. You might have to close the entire game and relaunch it. I had issues starting the 2nd one until I did all of that.

Is there an easy way to find a crashed starship with a pilot? The planetary charts seems to give me everything but that. Mostly abandoned buildings and crashed freighters.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I believe the Nautilon can explicitly scan for crashed ships, but I've never tried doing it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

tater_salad posted:

I'd check this new one out. I was planning on taking a few weeks off too, but this looks much better tuned. Each leg is only 5 objectives and they're all really casual out of what's vissible. The last chunk of the expedition is all Atlas flavored so is in Atlas runes and garbled.
Very litle RNG style "go explore and find a rare event/drop" or "do 1-2 hours farming."
Also it leans more into the idea of expeditions being remixes that change the experience ans flow of the game. The starting planet is a moon with no environmental hazard, however there's almost no sources of oxygen. You start with the blueprints for the buggy exocraft and need to use that to get to your first ship. Similarly your first ship lacks a hyperdrive, but you are immediately given a freighter as soon as you lift off.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The Twitter just announced that Nvidia DLSS is coming to the pc version and works in vr mode. That should make running VR with all the bells and whistles better

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

DLSS is black magic and owns, but not all implementations are equal. Hope they did it properly.

E: In other news, I have reached the center of the galaxy far quicker than I expected, and now I actually have to progress the artemis questline to actually make the last jump and trigger the achievement :argh:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 18, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

DLSS is black magic and owns, but not all implementations are equal. Hope they did it properly.

E: In other news, I have reached the center of the galaxy far quicker than I expected, and now I actually have to progress the artemis questline to actually make the last jump and trigger the achievement :argh:

I don't think you do, the last jump to the center is stupid and forces you to use the "plotting" mechanism that you probably didn't use for 100% of the rest of the game

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't think you do, the last jump to the center is stupid and forces you to use the "plotting" mechanism that you probably didn't use for 100% of the rest of the game

Wanna expand on that? I'm currently here, the closest system on my galactic core path -

And I can't interact with the center at all. Hyperdrive is 100% fueled, since I've read that's a thing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

AirRaid posted:

Wanna expand on that? I'm currently here, the closest system on my galactic core path -

And I can't interact with the center at all. Hyperdrive is 100% fueled, since I've read that's a thing.
Focus your camera on that yellow line that leads to core until you see some interaction wheel or dot (it should appear somewhere in the middle of line) and then hold your mouse button (I think, or whatever tooltip will tell you to press) until it fully "loads".

By the way, travel through core in some throwaway cheap ship or have every tech in tech slots. And also swap to cheap throwaway multi-tool. They will get damaged.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've just started the second expedition, but having completed the first one makes certain things easier since you can just pick up your gold ship and ignore the lovely starting shuttle.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I never had terrain disappearance issues in 40 hours but I also never upgraded my hyperdrive much and was just exploring relatively near the start point. Maybe that had to do with it?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've just started the second expedition, but having completed the first one makes certain things easier since you can just pick up your gold ship and ignore the lovely starting shuttle.

I mean you could also just group up with someone not doing the expedition and have them warp to relevant spots. But yeah, they aren't hard enforcing the limitations of the expedition.
I kinda like that it's pretty "honor system" and I hope people don't complain enough to make it hard coded or lean into grindier and hard expeditions constantly.
If anything I hope we get breaks between expeditions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The first thing I did after leaving the initial expedition planet was drop out of pulse drive to investigate a signal, which turned out to be a gate that immediately threw me god knows how far away from the rendezvous points. :madmax:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ghostlight posted:

The first thing I did after leaving the initial expedition planet was drop out of pulse drive to investigate a signal, which turned out to be a gate that immediately threw me god knows how far away from the rendezvous points. :madmax:

Ha ha nice, I did a similar thing on the first expedition after the 2nd rendezvous and pretty much did the rest of the expedition far flung, then came back for the rendezvous afterwards.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ugh great, I've run into the "Inventory Full" bug while claiming the reward for Phase 2. Had to back out of the ship reward because I didn't want to swap out my gold vector and now I can't claim anything else.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Patched up for expeditions. Start an expedition, get up to pulling out the mining laser, crash. Do it again, crash at same point. Do it again, able to shoot eight rocks then crash. Do it again, crash on the push E screen before it even loads the world. Deleted settings and shader files, verified integrity... nope. Try again and am in long enough to halfway rebind my keys before it crashes.

10/10 There has never been a better time to play NMS. Now with limited-time cosmetics!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Has the signal booster been bugged for anyone else since this expedition patch? Any time I pick one up it's destroyed and I need to build another one. It doesn't refund me the parts either.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

ugh great, I've run into the "Inventory Full" bug while claiming the reward for Phase 2. Had to back out of the ship reward because I didn't want to swap out my gold vector and now I can't claim anything else.

I think that bug resolves itself if you leave the system or warp around. I had it but it cleared itself somehow. For fixing a crashed ship goal, if you just swap to the unfixed ship on your freighter and just portal to the in system station, it gives credit. Discovered this by accident when I was going to melt some cheap ships.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1395152037680226307?s=19

(The 'Aw poo poo here we go again' meme)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

vacation from expeditions?

Mailer posted:

10/10 There has never been a better time to play NMS. Now with limited-time cosmetics!
Well, you can just edit your save in case you hate FOMO and your game crashes.