Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

C-Euro posted:

Cloth :unsmith: I'm glad you found that event because it's technically missable!

And yeah, real good atmosphere here too with the complete silence.

It's really unfortunate how missable the encounters with some of the NPCs are. I wouldn't have even known that you can encounter Cloth before this in Deepnest if I hadn't stumbled across it on the wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I missed that on my first playthrough.

This is actually the "good" ending for that particular plot thread!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

pointlessone posted:

Since there's a delay on these videos, how's the cat and why haven't we seen pictures of it?

:yeah:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

C-Euro posted:

This is actually the "good" ending for that particular plot thread!

That's assuming that Nat isn't going to accidentally Dream Nail her after the Traitor Lord battle :unsmigghh:.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

As for Hollow Knight themed cat names, the obvious choice is Leg-Eater. (Sly, Tiso, Myla, Millibelle, there's a decent selection of NPCs in there)

Radiance

e: Iselda sounds pretty nice, too.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 20, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bapanada

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I unironically like Quirrel as a cat name.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

As Tea is British and most pet cats here are indoor/outdoor, don't name a cat anything you'd be embarrassed to stand on the doorstep yelling in the evenings.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

YggiDee posted:

I don't know how I heckled it up, but I missed Cloth entirely on my playthrough. As for Hollow Knight themed cat names, the obvious choice is Leg-Eater. (Sly, Tiso, Myla, Millibelle, there's a decent selection of NPCs in there)

Zote.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

YggiDee posted:

I don't know how I heckled it up, but I missed Cloth entirely on my playthrough. As for Hollow Knight themed cat names, the obvious choice is Leg-Eater. (Sly, Tiso, Myla, Millibelle, there's a decent selection of NPCs in there)

Gorb

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Name your cat after your best and most loyal friend, The Last Stag.

It only now occurred to me we never actually learned the stag's name. Or, possibly, that he never had one.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 20, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just go full hog and call your cat the Pale King. Cats do accept worship, after all.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I vote Sly.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
You have to include the dramatic sigh though. Should work pretty well with whatever poo poo the cat pulls.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zote is the most obvious choice for a cat name.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I really appreciate how the game makes sure you are paying attention in the lead up to Broken Vessel - the silence save for the blowing wind, the budgeting of enemies to make sure you notice the infection, even that delay between entering the boss arena and the gate closing are meant to get you to focus on the details. And topping it all off is the boss music - it's probably the most obvious example in this game of a leitmotif used to signify that this fight is important to the story.

That said, I think Nat's resistance to trying to understand the plot the best part of this LP. It's like the "Wow, cool Robot!" meme, but with bugs.

EDIT: The overhead hang prevents you from spike-pogoing all the way across. Though I think you can deliberately die and then shade-pogo to make it all the way.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 22, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can't spike hop across that whole corridor because you don't have the height to get up the final ledge, the spikes valley downwards a bit there. I think it's not reachable anyway. With the double jump you can, but you don't have the double jump going in.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how Nat has gone from not being entirely comfortable with pogo bouncing to pogoing through a massive spike corridor just to show he can.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On which note, I'm not sure you could get outward through that spike corridor without the crystal core, since there's an overhang on the left end of it that I don't think you can get up without already having the monarch wings.

Some speedrunner has probably proved me wrong on that, though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Definitely possible with a shade pogo, what you need to do is die and then lure your shade over to the overhang, and then pogo of that for the extra height.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gonna be mad at you until you go back to that hole you just breezed past on the run-up to Broken Vessel. Where's your explorer's instinct? :colbert:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can't believe Hallownest was inside of a Monster can this whole time.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

I can't believe Hallownest was inside of a Monster can this whole time.

I heard it was one of the Devs at team cherry that spilt Fanta on the ground and all the ants drank it and went crazy and that was how hollow knight was born.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Cactus posted:

I heard it was one of the Devs at team cherry that spilt Fanta on the ground and all the ants drank it and went crazy and that was how hollow knight was born.
Ah, so that's what the orange stuff is.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Hallownest symbol kinda looks like a fusion of the Monster logo and the MtG planeswalker symbol.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know difficulty chat hasn't come up in awhile, but one thing that's been coming up more and more in these last few vids that's kind of annoying is the constant spiky walls. Can't bounce off those or skip them like others suggested it's possible with the spike pits, you have to deal with them the old fashioned way, and some of them look inconveniently placed. And I think the upgraded Hadouken isn't so much the Zero Buster as Tea said, but more the arm upgrade capsule for the X Buster.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 24, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I can't imagine why Nat would be so suspicious :allears:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, Deepnest. It's such a good study in making an area feel threatening and foreboding. Other than those hot springs, nowhere in it feels comfortable to hang around.

I'd never really noticed that it focuses on creatures with more legs, but it does kind of make sense. Especially since most of the bugs you encounter are stylised with four limbs. Makes the whole place feel very alien and primal.

Those burrowing enemies remind me of silverfish, which are insects, but a fairly distant branch of them. Again, kind of primal.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SirPhoebos posted:

I can't imagine why Nat would be so suspicious :allears:

I mean, it can't be the incessant skittering in the background, or the strident violin accompaniment, or the fact that enemies can literally pop out of the ground around you. These are all perfectly normal and expected things in a deepnest.

Deepnest is not my favorite area as in a place I enjoy spending time, but it's my favorite for how it's designed. It makes very deliberate departures from the design of every other area, for the clear purpose of altering the player's attitude.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Ah yes, Deepnest, AKA the place where everything hates you, including the level design. It feels so claustrophobic and maze-like and you can be surprised by enemies in so many places. I don't think those burrowing enemies even spawn consistently. It's also very annoying for me personally because it's where my one and only steel soul run so far died, to one of the enemies on the way to Herrah that do two masks of damage. If you've played this, you know the ones. Still, it's definitely atmospheric and really sells that this is somewhere you really don't want to be.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 25, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In a dark, dangerous world full of dead bugs and various hazards, Deepnest still feels uniquely hostile. I could probably go up to anyone who's played this game and just say "gently caress Deepnest" and I'll get a :hai: back.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Like I said before, Deepnest is Team Cherry's greatest accomplishment, for crafting a space so viscerally unpleasant to be in. Its emotionally resonant in a way I don't think I've experienced in any other videogame. Exploring it alone, in the dark, with headphones on was probably instrumental in such, but I contend its the "proper" way to do Deepnest anyways.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

YggiDee posted:

In a dark, dangerous world full of dead bugs and various hazards, Deepnest still feels uniquely hostile. I could probably go up to anyone who's played this game and just say "gently caress Deepnest" and I'll get a :hai: back.
:hai:

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Like I said before, Deepnest is Team Cherry's greatest accomplishment, for crafting a space so viscerally unpleasant to be in. Its emotionally resonant in a way I don't think I've experienced in any other videogame. Exploring it alone, in the dark, with headphones on was probably instrumental in such, but I contend its the "proper" way to do Deepnest anyways.
That's missing one thing from the true Deepnest experience: you didn't miss Cornifer by the entrance like I did. :gonk:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Shitenshi posted:

And I think the upgraded Hadouken isn't so much the Zero Buster as Tea said, but more the arm upgrade capsule for the X Buster.

I assumed Tea meant it in the sense that in X1 and X3 you can get X Buster upgrades from Zero and I can imagine people calling them the "Zero Buster."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I assumed Tea meant it in the sense that in X1 and X3 you can get X Buster upgrades from Zero and I can imagine people calling them the "Zero Buster."

Isn't it shot-shot-sword in X3? Also, being Zero's gun Zero Buster is correct. Unlike when Tea called the X Buster the Mega Buster a few episodes back :catstare:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Epicmissingno posted:

the enemies on the way to Herrah that do two masks of damage. If you've played this, you know the ones.

Those are one of the ones I'm looking out for to be one of the things that kills Nat. They're very doable, but he's definitely going to be taking some hits before he figures out their strategy.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I still think he's going to get royally beaten up by Nosk. I have complaints about that boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Isn't it shot-shot-sword in X3? Also, being Zero's gun Zero Buster is correct. Unlike when Tea called the X Buster the Mega Buster a few episodes back :catstare:

Yeah, in X1 Zero's buster is functionally the same as the arm capsule parts, except in Maverick Hunter where it's more powerful (and I think you have to skip the arm parts to get it), in X3 it just adds the sword attack as a third level of X powering up. Also at least in X5 and X6, it's called the Z Buster in the description of Parts that affect it.

Anyway, getting back to the game this LP is about, I now retroactively agree with Nat's decision to avoid Deepnest as long as possible. :v: