Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

dorium posted:

I have zero Beatles records.

I got the White Album for free.

I never listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

there was one time where i considered buying a copy of Abbey Road, but then I really thought about how often I'd listen to it and decided against it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You end up with tons of Beatles records when you buy out old peoples record collections.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I like buying the more worn down copies for cheap (<$10) since the pristine copies are very expensive thanks to collectors. They’re good for listening to with kids.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I like buying the more worn down copies for cheap (<$10) since the pristine copies are very expensive thanks to collectors. They’re good for listening to with kids.

This but pretty much anything.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i wish i had a chance to buy more used records, but the majority of what I can get down here is either new and obviously expensive, used and astonishingly overpriced, or used and absolute garbage: poor condition records of music several rungs down the ladder from AM gold.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

incoherent posted:

Got a printing error release (a side is printed on both sides) album and debating to swap out. Would an error like that be more valuable?

Most misprints really aren't worth that much, people like to think that they are, but for the most part, it's just a bad copy.

Misprints can be valuable in some circumstances:

1. They denote an original copy.
2. There's something interesting about the misprint (they put the wrong version and now you have something you can't readily hear).
3. There's something about the misprint that makes it interesting.

Otherwise, you got a copy that doesn't appeal to normal collectors because they want the album. And sure, maybe you can sell it to somebody as a really rare misprint for a lot of money, but it's also going to take a lot of work to sell it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Counterfeit copies of classic rock albums are very common. If you find the original 1970 pressing of The Man Who $old the World it's almost certainly a counterfeit. I have one. It sounds like garbage. I had that Let it Be bootleg too. It's easily identifiable because the labels are on the wrong sides and the colors on the cover are washed out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

real trick is to find the copy of Dookie that has a B-side of Led Zeppelin.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I somehow looked up Mexican Summer to see if there was a repress of Connan Mockasin's Jassbusters the moment they were testing a new listing for a Jassbusters repress and they sent me the first copy hot off the presses :slick:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

I somehow looked up Mexican Summer to see if there was a repress of Connan Mockasin's Jassbusters the moment they were testing a new listing for a Jassbusters repress and they sent me the first copy hot off the presses :slick:

That's pretty cool.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I recently upgraded my cartridge to an AT-VM95ML and while it's for the most part been working just fine, I've recently found some records begin to skip constantly at the end of a side where they didn't before. I tried redoing my tracking force weight (currently right around 2 grams) and the anti-skate but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. I also double checked the cartridge alignment and it looks good. Any suggestions?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The only misprint I have off the top of my head is a Disreantiyouthhellchristbastardassmanx 7” that was supposed to be single sided but has Louis Armstrong on the B side. They’re all like that, tho

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I accidentally got a copy of Split Enz - True Colors that's missing the laser etching on one side. Doesn't affect the music at least and it's not like my player is in a place where I can take advantage of it anyways. It shares the shelf with The Who bootleg I've never bothered to listen to and my Ognir Ratts album which was a surprisingly decent quality bootleg.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So one of my favorite artists, Nick Rattigan, is dropping an indie film tonight, with a vinyl pre-order tie-in (as well as cassette and CD). You have to buy a ticket to be allowed to stream. I know nothing about the film, but he's the sort of artist I'd support regardless, y'know?

So, who's Nick?

He's part of the duo that makes Surf Curse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GO1OZB0UMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVolCmyMUJw

Current Joys is his solo project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1h1AOeVQ38

and my favorite song off the new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEuQFXpjMj8

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 19, 2021

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

zaepg posted:

Anybody else like this album? It's a childhood nostalgia buy mainly.

love it - idk if this is the recent press but it actually sounds quite great on wax. it's really crisp. I have all the readily available TMBG albums, minus the kids ones - I'm pretty surprised at how good their modern ones are. The Else, Nanobots, Phone Power, and I Like Fun are as good as anything they did honestly

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Picked up ELP's Tarkus and The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed for a combined :10bux:

I had heard Days of Future Passed via Spotify before, but it doesn't compare to hearing it on a turntable. Gorgeous album, even with the orchestra having to cover where the Moodys didn't have enough material, but possibly in my top 10.

funny, I just listened to this a couple days ago - I have an original copy (I think it was my grandmas) and even though it doesn't sound great there's something really cool about the design aesthetics of pre-1969 stuff. I actually love listening to the Moodies because their music has so little relevance today - it's not like Yes or King Crimson or even ELP where there are still bands trying to imitate them today, the Moodies just could not evolve into the 70's and god bless 'em for it. just pure hippie dipshit music. I actually find DoFP to be one of the weakest of their classic albums, but man...the second side is so good. lmao at these orchestral interludes though

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JAMOOOL posted:

love it - idk if this is the recent press but it actually sounds quite great on wax. it's really crisp. I have all the readily available TMBG albums, minus the kids ones - I'm pretty surprised at how good their modern ones are. The Else, Nanobots, Phone Power, and I Like Fun are as good as anything they did honestly

funny, I just listened to this a couple days ago - I have an original copy (I think it was my grandmas) and even though it doesn't sound great there's something really cool about the design aesthetics of pre-1969 stuff. I actually love listening to the Moodies because their music has so little relevance today - it's not like Yes or King Crimson or even ELP where there are still bands trying to imitate them today, the Moodies just could not evolve into the 70's and god bless 'em for it. just pure hippie dipshit music. I actually find DoFP to be one of the weakest of their classic albums, but man...the second side is so good. lmao at these orchestral interludes though

They had some good song in the 70s. The whole Every Good Boy album is good, Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band moves, Wildest Dreams is a perfectly fine
1986 comeback single. They weren’t King Crimson but that’s a high bar.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know if the versions of the songs on the B Stiff comp are featured on Hardcore Devo? Other than B Stiff and Social Fools which I am already sure are different versions.

This seems like a Caligulamprey question. Get platinum so I can message you about this!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know if the versions of the songs on the B Stiff comp are featured on Hardcore Devo? Other than B Stiff and Social Fools which I am already sure are different versions.

This seems like a Caligulamprey question. Get platinum so I can message you about this!

I have the Hardcore Devo albums, so if you don't get an answer by like tomorrow I can compare and report back.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Mongoloid is the same. It sounds mixed or remastered a little different, but I only have an old mp3 rip of the EP to go off of. Jocko Homo, Be Stiff, and Social Fools are all very different on Hardcore - definitely older versions. And Satisfaction and Sloppy are not on Hardcore.

Off the top of my head, I don't think a rougher version of Mongoloid exists before that single release.

EDIT: since we're talking about early Devo and I have nowhere else to post this, Bob Lewis dropped a holy grail of sorts on youtube last month - a nearly complete recording of their 2nd show ever, from 1974. I've been hyped about it for a month now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPe8u_3eM

wa27 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 20, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

They had some good song in the 70s. The whole Every Good Boy album is good, Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band moves, Wildest Dreams is a perfectly fine

I've listened to the Moodies' first 5-6 albums and while much of it runs together, it's all listenable.

Besides Just a Singer, Melancholy Man is a helluva track.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
I'd never heard of Nadine Shah before, but now I own this record. Love her sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Sink-Nadine-Shah/dp/B084GSB476

$15, 12 left in stock. Cool album art, too.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Mongoloid is the same. It sounds mixed or remastered a little different, but I only have an old mp3 rip of the EP to go off of. Jocko Homo, Be Stiff, and Social Fools are all very different on Hardcore - definitely older versions. And Satisfaction and Sloppy are not on Hardcore.

Off the top of my head, I don't think a rougher version of Mongoloid exists before that single release.

EDIT: since we're talking about early Devo and I have nowhere else to post this, Bob Lewis dropped a holy grail of sorts on youtube last month - a nearly complete recording of their 2nd show ever, from 1974. I've been hyped about it for a month now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPe8u_3eM

Wow big thanks for that.

And I've been wanting to mention for ages to somebody, BTW, that the later Devo sound, the sort of bad futuristic pop, I was just skipping around on some old thrift store records when I started listening to some "disco" album by like Enoch Light or Sy Zentner, and I was pretty astounded at how similar it was to the general late Devo sound.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My latest enemy: Chicago customs USPS facility. You’ve had my record for 11 days now!

It’s like we had a government branch cripple the post office or something.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rolo posted:

My latest enemy: Chicago customs USPS facility. You’ve had my record for 11 days now!

It’s like we had a government branch cripple the post office or something.

Oh the Chicago sorting vortex. I’ve had a record stuck there for two months once.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I had a Christmas gift to a friend that was last seen in St Paul distribution on January 12.

I mailed it on the 11th, a few weeks after Christmas to avoid it getting lost in the season rush.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Wow big thanks for that.

And I've been wanting to mention for ages to somebody, BTW, that the later Devo sound, the sort of bad futuristic pop, I was just skipping around on some old thrift store records when I started listening to some "disco" album by like Enoch Light or Sy Zentner, and I was pretty astounded at how similar it was to the general late Devo sound.

If you're saying that Freedom of Choice through Oh No! are bad we have to be bitter enemies now. Everything after Alan left is garbage though except for Something for Everyone.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really like the moodies (my first concert ever, in a cow pasture somewhere in southeastern new york state) and they have a lot of great songs, but they've got a couple tunes where I'm like "why did you let this get released"

22,000 days, off long distance voyager, is possibly one of the worst songs I've ever heard

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

BigFactory posted:

yeah everything up to Seventh Sojourn is pretty good, maybe great even, but even still, it all feels like 60s hippie music to me. they had nowhere to go.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

If you're saying that Freedom of Choice through Oh No! are bad we have to be bitter enemies now. Everything after Alan left is garbage though except for Something for Everyone.

Oh no, quite the reverse. I'm saying those lovely old records are full of surprises. Although my feelings about SFA are mixed. And I would have to differ about everything after Alan left.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 20, 2021

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

wa27 posted:

I heard that song when Dr. Demento played it on his show and I remember thinking how frikkin crazy it sounded and I may actually have a tape of it around here because I recorded all that poo poo when I was a kid.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've never been able to sit through Smoothnoodlemaps or Total Devo. Not much for Shout, either. I like guitar Devo the best. :rock:

Oh man, I bought a ticket to Pitchfork this year and it don't feel real. Can't wait to jump into some shows.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

I've never been able to sit through Smoothnoodlemaps or Total Devo. Not much for Shout, either. I like guitar Devo the best. :rock:

Oh man, I bought a ticket to Pitchfork this year and it don't feel real. Can't wait to jump into some shows.

Is there a bitchfork as well?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Samples from this could make a dope house track.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I should post some Vinyls since it's the Vinyl thread

unauthorized vinyl

picture shape vinyl

clear vinyl

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

I bought a three day pass and the lineup is so my jam and I can't be more excited

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Barry posted:

I bought a three day pass and the lineup is so my jam and I can't be more excited

I'm real excited for the Sunday lineup. It's nice to have a mini vacation to look forward to that isn't staying inside my house.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
‘Parks and Recreation’ Band Mouse Rat to Release ‘The Awesome Album’

i ordered the Cherry Girgich edition

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Contacted one of my favorite labels about a reprint. Said they’re already in the works of placing the order, and vinyl production is super backed up, early 2022 at best

Will you drat hipsters stop buying vinyl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Will you drat hipsters record labels stop buying vinyl repressing dark side of the moon for the thousandth time!

Seriously though, that sucks. I hope this doesn't lead to less vinyl releases on Bandcamp, etc.