Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

redreader posted:

What are the most Berserk games I can play in honor of KM? Is a Black Iron Tarkus build, the closest I can get?

Maybe I'll level Dark Knight in FF14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

YggiDee posted:

Also, who the gently caress else can draw like that.

Nobody.

If I had to pick though, Katsuhiro Otomo, Makoto Yukimura, Kaoru Mori or Hiroya Oku are in the ballpark. The best of the best. (And likely inspired by Miura's style, with the exception of Otomo)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's an English patch for the PS2 game which seems pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4K_YDpdB2k

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

An long-running but uncompleted fantasy epic, you say? Who is the Brandon Sanderson of manga that his editors can rope in to wrap it up?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I read some Berserk back in the day, it had like ten sex scenes but only one of them was consensual sex so I was like, Yeah this is too much for me, this isn’t fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don Quixote had an entire (very popular) sequel novel that pissed off the original author so much he wrote the official Don Quixote 2 just to specifically spite that guy. The Aeniid is just an un-licensed sequel to the Illiad.

What Im saying is Im making some calls to finish this story or my name isn't John Q. Manga!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Give the Berserk script to the Bastard mangaka, problem solved!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Mode 7 posted:

An long-running but uncompleted fantasy epic, you say? Who is the Brandon Sanderson of manga that his editors can rope in to wrap it up?

Who’s to say that Brando Sando can’t draw manga?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I saw your post on twitter, really cool vid, nice work. I especially like the map renders you've got showing the whole map from different angles.

Thanks, the TR games have held up well in that sense. Some N64 games, not as interesting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Who’s to say that Brando Sando can’t draw manga?

Brando Sando can't even draw a mango

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm not really sure BYU graduate and lecturer Brandon Sanderson is the right fit for Berserk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I'm not really sure BYU graduate and lecturer Brandon Sanderson is the right fit for Berserk

Look, I read the Doom novels where mormonism was right, I think it'll be fine.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Barudak posted:

Rip and tear until it is done...

but no coffee, premarital sex or gay stuff

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Barudak posted:

Whoa

Can you elaborate on this

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Edmond Dantes posted:

Pretty much the reason I'm not getting Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Yes, I'm still mad.

That's a shame cause it rules!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mkvltra posted:

Whoa

Can you elaborate on this

So like the books are absolutely insane involving simulations becoming reality and evil communist humans but let me put it this way, at the end of the final novel the main characters realize they have always been immune to the demons because they possess faith in a higher power and then land in Salt Lake City and repopulate the earth and use the intact tabernacle as their home.

The religious fanatics also won so hard and completely in the novelization of Alpha Centauri that the other faction heads are all that are left of non-religious humans and escape as data in a rocket ship to endlessly chat with each other about their failed ideologies

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 20, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rinkles posted:

It’s not weird to not want to replay a game entirely because of the ending, right? I'm thinking of Far Cry 5 specifically.
The ending was good in an insane fever dream kind of way, much like the rest of the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Mass Effect remaster is worthless until they fix the ending that results in me playing multiplayer!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The Mass Effect remaster is worthless until they fix the ending that results in me playing multiplayer!!

I would have paid 20 bucks just for the multi but instead Im paying zero and I used to roleplay post as a krogan

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Volte posted:

The ending was good in an insane fever dream kind of way, much like the rest of the game

I really, really loved FC5 and feel like I'm in the tiny minority on that. The Evil Knievel missions were delightful, the radio had a ton of good obscure licensed music, the OST was by Hammock and I still listen to it on the regular because it's beautiful, the world map was gorgeous and extremely realistic, etc etc etc. It had way less open world bloat than we've come to expect from ubisoft as well.

But yeah the ending is lol

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oxxidation posted:

the only manga i can think of that was anywhere near as dense was BLAME! and that was only in landscapes, tsutomu nihei couldn't draw the human figure a tenth as well as miura could
You can really tell Nihei was an architect before he started drawing manga. He does come into his own style for humans by the end of Blame, but if you check out his earlier stuff they're super rough, especially in action.

His ability to convey scale is unparalleled though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Also, who the gently caress else can draw like that.
Hentai/doujin artists potentially.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

cursed game covers:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

I read some Berserk back in the day, it had like ten sex scenes but only one of them was consensual sex so I was like, Yeah this is too much for me, this isn’t fun

Yeah just reading about what happens in Beserk squicks me out so I’m good.

RIP, sounds like we lost a really talented individual.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Barudak posted:

So like the books are absolutely insane involving simulations becoming reality and evil communist humans but let me put it this way, at the end of the final novel the main characters realize they have always been immune to the demons because they possess faith in a higher power and then land in Salt Lake City and repopulate the earth and use the intact tabernacle as their home.

The religious fanatics also won so hard and completely in the novelization of Alpha Centauri that the other faction heads are all that are left of non-religious humans and escape as data in a rocket ship to endlessly chat with each other about their failed ideologies

Again, whoa

I genuinely appreciate the 'message' of Doom as a cautionary tale against military-industrial complexes but holy macaroni it sounds like the authors of the novels just took the core theme of Doom, excised the artistic merit and replaced it with content from a lovely YA Christian novel.

I don't think I've ever hate-read a book before but your synopsis really makes me want to start!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

Not even worth buying until you can imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think their worth your time, to be honest and they're not much of a hate read. The first doom novelization with Flynn Taggart (shout out to doom eternal using it as a code) and its fine nothing exemplary or mega interesting. Its not really till the last one it brings up the faith stuff but like they just aren't very good. The Resident Evil Novelizations at least gave us zombie t-rex and super scorpions before the games did and a top five most flagrant chekov's gun in fiction.

As for Alpha Centauri books it is the slow grinding win for the religious fanatics that never feels remotely realistic or sensible and its one of the bitterest tasting reads when I finished because again the ending is "all ideologies except faith are weak and pointless"

If you want some powerful mormonism in fantasy don't forget to checkout Dragonlance! I don't know why intellectual IP novels are mormons all the way down they just are.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

quote:

[11:38 AM]
Way Cool

マリオスタッフもビックリ コース
Mario Sutaffu mo Bikkuri Kōsu Mario's Staff is Just as Surprised Course

the original special world course names from smw are incredible

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Barudak posted:

I don't think their worth your time, to be honest and they're not much of a hate read. The first doom novelization with Flynn Taggart (shout out to doom eternal using it as a code) and its fine nothing exemplary or mega interesting. Its not really till the last one it brings up the faith stuff but like they just aren't very good. The Resident Evil Novelizations at least gave us zombie t-rex and super scorpions before the games did and a top five most flagrant chekov's gun in fiction.

As for Alpha Centauri books it is the slow grinding win for the religious fanatics that never feels remotely realistic or sensible and its one of the bitterest tasting reads when I finished because again the ending is "all ideologies except faith are weak and pointless"

If you want some powerful mormonism in fantasy don't forget to checkout Dragonlance! I don't know why intellectual IP novels are mormons all the way down they just are.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? I feel like an open-ended game like that is a weird choice to novelize, but hey, if it sells, it sells.

This insight owns, thank you. Now I want to read the RE novelizations, or at least listen to them.

Have you read the Metro series? I haven't read Metro 2035 because it wasn't translated to English when I was binging through 2033 and 2034, but the author uses a lot of pages to explicitly illustrate how the Jehovah's Witnesses are the only religion to survive global nuclear holocaust.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have not and the people who can't have blood transfusions as the survivors of the apocalypse is too dingdong funny.

I've not read the Resi novels in years but my memory is the books are intermixed with "retelling of the events of the games kind of" and then a book which is just "the cast goes to a secret underground zombie monster thunderdome with a shitload of guns". Apparently she had no access to story notes, just the game manuals and what she found in magazines which would explain why all of them start really similar to the games and then go off rails. They're fine, but if theres a series you have more passion for read those novelizations first.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Or better yet, don't read novelizations of games at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NBA 2K21 is this weeks free Epic Game Store title. The PC version does not have the next-gen visuals though of the PS5/Series X upgrades, which is actually really impressive looking and one of the better looking next-gen games right now.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Started Shadow of Mordor. It's fun so far, but it's kind surreal coming to a triple A game that had tons of online components wayyyy after the fact. Apparently their used to be a lot of content that required servers to generate and gave special, powerful rewards. Well, as of Dec 31st of last year, those servers be dead. So what was the company's solution? Do they just let those rewards be lost to time?

Hell no. Now you just get them all automatically at the start of the game.

I mean, I guess I prefer that to not being able to get them at all, but still. It's weird coming to this game as a newcomer and just immediately being rewarded with like ten endgame-level runes as a reward for waiting seven years to play it. :v:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Speaking of Ghostrunner...

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1395400056602185729?s=20

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kinda want to get Godfall, but that's still too expensive for what the game is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mkvltra posted:

Have you read the Metro series? I haven't read Metro 2035 because it wasn't translated to English when I was binging through 2033 and 2034, but the author uses a lot of pages to explicitly illustrate how the Jehovah's Witnesses are the only religion to survive global nuclear holocaust.

lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Just wanna shout out a thanks to the people who gave some advice regarding my not working PS4 controller yesterday, I switched up the charging cable and welp it started charging.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mkvltra posted:

Jehovah's Witnesses are the only religion to survive global nuclear holocaust.

I don't remember this at all.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the DS4 is very hard on cables if you charge it on a table. The charging port is way too low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I know, right? Pop-Tarts, cockroaches, and the Watchtower.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't remember this at all.

https://metrovideogame.fandom.com/wiki/The_Watchtower