Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

After two and a half years of riding, my girlfriend had her first disagreement with a car:

They pulled out of a side street in front of her and she wasn't able to stop in time. Apparently his vehicle came out looking worse, I guess because she went into the forward crumple zone. She fell over but she's only got a few bruises, thankfully.

It's a secondary concern, but I'm glad this happened to her lovely old Sinnis and not the nearly new Yamaha we brought home on Sunday.

looks like she hit hard enough, glad to hear there are only bruises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Strife posted:

Nice to hear there are people considering appropriate gear before riding, but maybe that's just the contrast to who I usually see riding near me, which are squids and Harley boomers.

Now I don't feel quite as weird that I've spent more time looking at helmets and jackets than I have bikes.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Midjack posted:

Now I don't feel quite as weird that I've spent more time looking at helmets and jackets than I have bikes.

That's a lifelong affliction.

(in my defense some of that is my wife's and one of those helmets is for car racing)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Strife posted:

That's a lifelong affliction.

(in my defense some of that is my wife's and one of those helmets is for car racing)

You know you can get them in other colours, right?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Finger Prince posted:

You know you can get them in other colours, right?

Aw come on, there's some red in my Dainese jacket.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish I could get a mostly white Dainese textile without the red. I want to replace my torn Superspeed but fashion dictates otherwise :colbert:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
There's a decent looking CBX up on Bringatrailer: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-honda-cbx-supersport-14/

It cracks me up that the seller rebuilt the carbs, but didn't sync them. I'm guessing because synchronizing 6 tiny carbs is an enormous pain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are normal size carbs and there's heaps of room, but those pod filters have probably made it impossible to attain a decent off-idle response which can be interpreted as out of balance carbs.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

There's a decent looking CBX up on Bringatrailer: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-honda-cbx-supersport-14/

It cracks me up that the seller rebuilt the carbs, but didn't sync them. I'm guessing because synchronizing 6 tiny carbs is an enormous pain.

Aren't you supposed to post these in the music instruments' subforum?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao at running pod filters on a cbx. Real glutton for punishment.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheBacon posted:

Anyone ride their bike to the gym or to hikes? Thinking about how I would handle both. For hikes I guess that I’d just bring some hiking clothes in a backpack/bag and just leave my riding gear with the bike at the trailhead and hope no one steals it. Most of the places I hike I think would be okay but uh not really sure on that. And then I guess try not to get too sweaty or dusty.

For the gym I’m wondering do you just put your gear back on sweaty and poo poo? Like that to me seems like would get not great since I can’t really wash my jackets very easily or do I just buy a jacket specifically to get nasty? I would normally think taking a shower at the gym but ones around here have them closed due to covid still.

I've hiked, but not worked out, by bike. Full hard luggage set, textile gear and external helmet lock. Carried a soft backpack, hiking boots and clothes etc in the bags. Got all the riding gear in the bags, helmet locked on the side.

Home from the gym, assuming you don't commute far away to a special one, I think I would just change into fresh sweatpants and hoodie and hope they absorbed the sweat until I was home.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

OR passed lane splitting. I am now 100% ready to move back :D

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

right arm posted:

Getting real mad that my state will never pass this. :argh:

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?ses=201&typ=bil&val=HB1236

Like I don’t really understand what the political process is but I know something being left since Feb of last year means it’s dead. :saddowns:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of lane splitting, someone did that to me today and I wasn’t expecting a big loud bike BRAPPing between me and the next car at a standstill and it was a really weird feeling.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against lane splitting it’s just something you never see here since it’s not recognized so I haven’t become used to it and had the same reaction I expect a lot of car people do. Ain’t proud of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

Getting real mad that my state will never pass this. :argh:

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?ses=201&typ=bil&val=HB1236

Like I don’t really understand what the political process is but I know something being left since Feb of last year means it’s dead. :saddowns:

Died in subcommittee, it appears. The Transportation/Motor Vehicles sub split 3-3 to recommend it to the standing Transportation committee for further action, and ties in that situation resolve to no action so that one's done. Why anyone would allow an even number of people on a committee is another question entirely.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

gently caress. Yes. That's enticing. Now if I could pump my own loving diesel.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against lane splitting it’s just something you never see here since it’s not recognized so I haven’t become used to it and had the same reaction I expect a lot of car people do. Ain’t proud of it.

If they passed a law allowing lane splitting in MA I'd need at least a year before I started doing it myself.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

cursedshitbox posted:

I always forget and just give the dumb shrug and point at my Cali plates when I inevitably fill up in Medford or whatever going south before the hill.

e: actually does that poo poo even apply to bikes? Because uh I don’t really want some rando filling my bike up

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

e: ^^^ no, it does not apply to bikes, we are free to pump our own gas here

right arm posted:

hell yea suck it traffic-enjoyers!!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

A couple of days ago, I was selling an Alpinestars leather jacket, clearly stated as size EU 58 on it.

I get an eBay message:

"hi
please can you measure pit to pit, waist, and length collar to bottom at the back?
thanks
Ben"

Ignored him because lol and he can google that poo poo.

Less than 2 days later it sold for 35% above the minimum bid via Best Offer, to a guy who paid immediately and without any haggling/comments/requests/bullshit questions.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Died in subcommittee, it appears. The Transportation/Motor Vehicles sub split 3-3 to recommend it to the standing Transportation committee for further action, and ties in that situation resolve to no action so that one's done. Why anyone would allow an even number of people on a committee is another question entirely.

That’s what I was thinking about the even number and if it was tied why wouldn’t it still go to the standing committee? :shrug:

But also I never expected it to pass ever because VA makes the majority of it’s money by traffic violations and the staties get all of their enjoyment by running down bikers and I wish I was kidding on the second part.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

A couple of days ago, I was selling an Alpinestars leather jacket, clearly stated as size EU 58 on it.

I get an eBay message:

"hi
please can you measure pit to pit, waist, and length collar to bottom at the back?
thanks
Ben"

Ignored him because lol and he can google that poo poo.

Less than 2 days later it sold for 35% above the minimum bid via Best Offer, to a guy who paid immediately and without any haggling/comments/requests/bullshit questions.

I mean it worked out for you, but those aren't bullshit questions at all about buying clothing online, and are pretty standard. Plus it takes all of 5 seconds to do it, and from a buyer's perspective, especially if you're using stock photos (not saying you were), confirms that the item they're buying actually exists in your possession. Maybe it worked out for him too and he got a jacket that fit from someone who could answer his questions.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I was using my own photos. I have about 200 100% positive feedback on eBay. He can google measurements.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

E - snark removed and replaced with a cup of coffee.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It's all good man :)

On eBay, I get many idiotic questions that take time to research and answer, and thus far none of those answered questions has resulted in any bids, let along offers or purchases. It's a waste of my time and inevitably someone else who knows what they want comes and buys the item without wasting my time.

So, I don't respond to those questions any more. Total waste of time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

It's all good man :)

On eBay, I get many idiotic questions that take time to research and answer, and thus far none of those answered questions has resulted in any bids, let along offers or purchases. It's a waste of my time and inevitably someone else who knows what they want comes and buys the item without wasting my time.

So, I don't respond to those questions any more. Total waste of time.

Fair enough. My partner has done enough buying (and some selling) of clothes online during the pandemic that I've learned that info is pretty critical, so most sellers take the measurements and put it in the listing automatically. Back in the before times you'd just go to the store and try it on before buying it second hand cheaper from someone online, but you can't do that anymore, and rack sizes tell you gently caress all about how something fits. I'd wager the guy who bought your jacket has tried on a size 58 AStars jacket before, possibly that exact model.

(I agree, most of those except back length are easy to look up online. I'm surprised he didn't ask about sleeve length though!)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 20, 2021

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Not specifically for clothing, but when selling online it’s normal to get questions from “buyers” that could be answered by just reading the ad. These are also the people that will offer you half of asking price without coming to see the bike you’re selling. I generally ignore them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Been trying to help a buddy get a bike in Texas for like a year and there aren't many on the market and every single one is basically this level of intelligence. What's in the water down there?

A story in 3 acts:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

epswing posted:

Not specifically for clothing, but when selling online it’s normal to get questions from “buyers” that could be answered by just reading the ad. These are also the people that will offer you half of asking price without coming to see the bike you’re selling. I generally ignore them.

I sold a GPU recently and one guy asked me to take a photo of the connectors.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

Been trying to help a buddy get a bike in Texas for like a year and there aren't many on the market and every single one is basically this level of intelligence. What's in the water down there?

A story in 3 acts:

I’m moving to Texas next year and was planning on selling my bike and was thinking about buying a brand new 2020-something when I got down there so I’ll just stick with that plan to go to the dealership. :v:

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I'm thinking it's some SEO fuckery. Otherwise... what.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SEKCobra posted:

I sold a GPU recently and one guy asked me to take a photo of the connectors.

Number of displayport/hdmi/-mini connectors can vary a lot within the same type of gpu, and seems like a fair thing to want to know?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
RevZilla's latest "Shop Manual" video entry - repairing stripped threads. I was surprised to see the timesert back out so easily when over-torqued, given it's designed to repair threads that frequently get hosed up by folks with no concept of "tight enough" in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCLdevyvV74

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone please wrap Ari in bubble wrap for his own safety

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

you may. in ruralish areas or late night / early morning if I remember the legislation from like 2yr ago? could be wrong though as it has been ~2yr since I was back home!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

epswing posted:

I’ve gotten eBay messages asking if the item is still available.

Blocked.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, the worst feeling in the world is when a bike you’ve been watching on kijiji or facebook marketplace comes down to a price you can afford/justify and all of a sudden you have to decide whether you actually want the care and feeding of a second bike since you don’t ride your first one enough.

And then you decide you don’t :smith:

I mean I legitimately do not need a sexy second bike right now, and buying it would be a stupid idea. That’s what I’m going to have to keep telling myself.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I've been eyeing a V-Strom 250 as my beater bike, but I don't know if I could actually ride a bike on salty roads without tearing my heart out

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Martytoof posted:

Man, the worst feeling in the world is when a bike you’ve been watching on kijiji or facebook marketplace comes down to a price you can afford/justify and all of a sudden you have to decide whether you actually want the care and feeding of a second bike since you don’t ride your first one enough.

And then you decide you don’t :smith:

I mean I legitimately do not need a sexy second bike right now, and buying it would be a stupid idea. That’s what I’m going to have to keep telling myself.

I don’t even have a house, I’m in a shared apartment parking deck and my plan is to pack the corners with stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

There's an SV-1000 for $2500 that just popped up on my local Craigslist and it's the first listing in months that's 1) not a Harley 2) seems reasonably priced and 3) appears to be in reasonable enough condition to be worth looking in to.

I can't buy it now, and I don't need a second naked streetbike anyway. But it's the only interesting thing I've seen in months and I'm having huge FOMO about it for some reason. :confused:

I'm getting a two-car garage soon though and in a few months I'll be in a position to start multiplying bikes :getin: especially if the post-pandemic market correction we're all hoping for actually happens