Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

chippocrates posted:

Any decent sources for luchador-style heads? Got an idea kicking around for a Goliath gang.

I tried looking for luchador minis a while back and couldn't find poo poo, sadly. If you happen to come across something, share it here, because as of right now it seems like this isn't really something that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

Rumbleslam is a wrestling game that has a luchador looking faction:
https://ttcombat.com/collections/rumbleslam/products/lords-of-the-ring

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

TotalHell posted:

I tried looking for luchador minis a while back and couldn't find poo poo, sadly. If you happen to come across something, share it here, because as of right now it seems like this isn't really something that exists.

The Hellboy in Mexico expansion to the board game have a few

Seems like Mantic sells the minis separately from the expansion as well

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Winklebottom posted:

The Hellboy in Mexico expansion to the board game have a few

Seems like Mantic sells the minis separately from the expansion as well

Perhaps part of the problem was that I was looking for female luchadors for my wife’s RPG character. These are pretty rad though; I might go in on them just so I can make myself an El Santo.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Some work in progress report!

I really like that GSW Liquid Pigment stuff for rust effects. The rust should look very different and more subtle when it's done. I'm going to airbrush chipping medium after this, then a layer of steel-looking paint all over it to chip away hopefully in the right places. It'll be purposefully dark but I'm thinking of making the boi very green (for some contrast) and maybe tint the steel a little bit but I'm not sure if I should go with some red, yellow or blue ink (I want a somewhat subtle effect). Any thoughts?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hi all, quick question: I picked up a nice Primaris Ultramarine army second hand that has been painted to a nice standard, however the seller started doing a weird thing where 75% of the models have been given a fully Waaagh Flesh green right shoulder pad. I want the entire army to look uniform including any further additions, but some of the green shoulders have decals applied. Is there an easy way to remove the decals if I choose to paint them all back blue (maybe with 4th company trim instead)? Looking at 49 removals.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Microsol is explicitly designed for this purpose, you should be fine to repaint after.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

microsol and microset might as well be black magic, i used to dread decals before i bought those two and now it’s the most reliably easy part of modelling

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jesus WEP posted:

microsol and microset might as well be black magic, i used to dread decals before i bought those two and now it’s the most reliably easy part of modelling

Very much the same.

Except on marine shoulders, I still do go over them with matte paint just to get the finishes to match even though I will varnish.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Everyone who was saying to buy an AliExpress vortex mixer, drat you really weren't wrong. This little thing has taken Corax White from impossible to work with, to just as easy as any other paint.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I tried using contrast paints with skaven and I really like how they turned out. I forgot to get one for their tail, so no pictures till all 20 are done.

you really dont need to put them on a wet palette, do you?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I never put contrast paints on a wet palette, I have a dry palette with like wells in it that I use if I'm mixing up a thinner contrast paint or color mix of them but otherwise I use the contrasts straight from the pot.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've started putting it on a wet palette when I'm doing batch painting otherwise it does dry out. It gets a bit thin over time on the wet palette but that just means I do a second coat if needed.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Yeah, very happy how they're turning out. Hexwraith flame for the lower clothes, and Tesseract Glow for the higher ones.

I'm also a big fan of Shyish purple because it comes out so dark. How does Vellejo Matt varnish work out on the model? My house is dusty

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

jesus WEP posted:

If you don't have access to Microsol and Microset, you can use vinegar to soften decals to fit your surfaces. Use with a brush tho, because it will also make your decals tear easy quickly.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

MeinPanzer posted:

I normally use neodymium magnets to magnetize the bases of my 28mm figs but I recently started painting some 15mm figs mounted on flat plastic bases and I'd like to magnetize them with magnetic sheeting.

What thickness of magnetic sheet is necessary to maintain a good grip in a metal container? Is 0.4mm thick enough?

From last page, but got no response. Anyone?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

WIP on this Archvillain miniatures character

These AV minis have the unfortunate issue of being very busy. It's also not the cleanest 3D print of mine (I printed it months ago) but I like the way it's coming along. I'm copying Marco Frisoni's color scheme for this model, going for a garish swashbuckler look.

This is after base coats and oil washes. Everything still needs to be highlighted with acrylics, and I need to paint the skin as well.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 19, 2021

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Another grimy vamp!

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Texmo posted:

Everyone who was saying to buy an AliExpress vortex mixer, drat you really weren't wrong. This little thing has taken Corax White from impossible to work with, to just as easy as any other paint.

Is there a particular style that works best for miniature paint? Looks to be a few common form factors.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ok guys progress report. Do not use a metallic base layer to chip off and reveal the "raw", bright metal under it. It doesn't work super well, the colors are too close together (even though on literal paper they seem very different).

The rust effect looks fine enough I think (the texture helps a lot) but you can't really see the dents on the armor because the base layer is Steel (from Vallejo Metal line) and the under layer is Pale Burnt Metal. I think the base layer should be a regular, non-metallic color for this to work. For this boy I'll just apply some black contrastish paint to darken it up more, re-do the rust and some "manual" weathering. For the next dude I'll just not use Steel as the base.

It might still look better when I paint the skin and all the crap he's wearing though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I made a chaos celestine.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
she was fun in starcraft

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Thanks for the Micro Sol / Micro Set discussion folks.

Placed some orders and will tackle some shoulder pads with new found confidence.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Spanish Manlove posted:

she was fun in starcraft

Oh.

...poo poo.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

i painted a demogorgon

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
hi everyone its me again.

No update on my contrast rats yet but look at this poo poo, I tried really hard on this model, in particular the highlighting, which I'm still learning how to do well.

The silver did NOT turn out the way I would've liked it too, and for some reason I derped and made the logos green and the inside gold, and not, you know, the other..way...its supposed to me. Silver is difficult to highlight with and also I didnt use the lighter silver on the helmet and accidentally did it with leadbelcher :((

Oh well. I'm pretty happy, please let me know how I can get ever better though.

For reference, this was my first, two months ago:

Any highlighting on the silver colored armor there is just a trick of the light.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Glaurio ven Alten III and Jelsen Darrock from cursed city done.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

x-poastin

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any good 6mm systems? I found this guy and want to paint some of this up so bad!

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/TheLazyForger

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

A big reason I love using a home made wet palette is the lack of clean up (it's why I'll never get an airbrush), so reusable sheets seem a dubious feature to pay for.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

sassassin posted:

A big reason I love using a home made wet palette is the lack of clean up (it's why I'll never get an airbrush), so reusable sheets seem a dubious feature to pay for.

As a lazy cur, I get where you're coming from here. But even the worst times I have royally hosed up and had to figure out how I was going to clean all this crap out of my airbrush have been worth it for how easy and fast it is to paint with the thing.

Like, painting yellow and white alone are worth the cleanup.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Cleaning my airbrush could take 10x longer than it actually does and it would still be a huge increase in overall painting speed.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Cinara posted:

Cleaning my airbrush could take 10x longer than it actually does and it would still be a huge increase in overall painting speed.

Quote for truth

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I may have made a mistake. I thought some painted minis would make a nice addition for the centerpieces for my wedding. There's going to be 5 of us painting and 8 don't need to be painted, but still:

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Xpost from the best sub forum in TD:

Major Spag posted:

Ah ah ah ah stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Maigius posted:

I may have made a mistake. I thought some painted minis would make a nice addition for the centerpieces for my wedding. There's going to be 5 of us painting and 8 don't need to be painted, but still:

What's that fuckhuge bird kit?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Pierzak posted:

probably this

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Maigius posted:

Have you considered an airbrush?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

w00tmonger posted:

Any good 6mm systems? I found this guy and want to paint some of this up so bad!

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/TheLazyForger

Epic Armageddon I believe. Ask in the Specialty Games thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Pierzak posted:

It's Grimtalon, I got so I could say I had the Roc at the wedding.:v:

w00tmonger posted:

Have you considered an airbrush?

I can't see myself doing this much painting again. I do have 6 weeks.