Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Synnr posted:

Like, why the hand changes and reason for his balls!

His hand was regenerating. The stuff that made him able to regenerate his cells was in his testicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Definite problem with this season was no horny shorts.

Dodecahedron
Nov 29, 2004

Polycahedric Perfection

I honestly thought the Ellison episode was the strongest. But all the episodes have been great except for the kid murder one.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Alhazred posted:

His hand was regenerating. The stuff that made him able to regenerate his cells was in his testicles.

Yeah I understood that, I meant the change from the short story to that. It was just an odd change.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The tone and plot of a couple shorts made more sense once I looked up what source material they were based on, particularly:

• Automated Customer Service - John Scalzi
  • Pop Squad - Paolo Bacigalupi
  • Snow in the Desert - Neal Asher
  • The Tall Grass - Joe Lansdale
  • Life Hutch - Harlan Ellison
  • The Drowned Giant - J.G. Ballard

Last two in particular were real 'oh, of course it's one of their short stories.'

Cool list didn't know that a majority of the episodes were based on short stories.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked all of them except for Automated Customer Service. I think as a whole it felt pretty slight, but that feeling probably would've been lessened with a full-length season, which I assume we most likely would've gotten if not for *gestures broadly*

I'm still happy we got something and I am looking forward to the third batch.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I really want a short for Asimov’s The Last Question. Seems like it would fit perfectly for this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would LOVE to see The Nine Billion Names of God. I don't know how they would do the ending justice, but I wanna see them try.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

The malfunctioning robot in Life Hutch seemed extremely similar to AMIEE in Red Planet.

The stories were visually great but the plots left a bit to be desired.

The robot's POV seemed to be inspired by the LIDAR vision from the Black Mirror episode "Metalhead".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stories I'd like to see in future seasons:

The People of Sand and Slag - Paolo Bacigalupi
Post-human mercenaries discover a dog on a mission which is odd, because dogs (along with every other animal on Earth) are supposed to be extinct

The Fluted Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
A young woman undergoes extreme body modification to be turned into a living musical instrument

Diamond Dogs - Alastair Reynolds
A group of freelancers are hired to explore an alien artifact

Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom by Ted Chiang
Scientists have invented a device that creates and can communicate with alternate universes

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Stories I'd like to see in future seasons:

The People of Sand and Slag - Paolo Bacigalupi
Post-human mercenaries discover a dog on a mission which is odd, because dogs (along with every other animal on Earth) are supposed to be extinct

The Fluted Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
A young woman undergoes extreme body modification to be turned into a living musical instrument

Diamond Dogs - Alastair Reynolds
A group of freelancers are hired to explore an alien artifact

Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom by Ted Chiang
Scientists have invented a device that creates and can communicate with alternate universes

I'd love to see something like Hinterlands by William Gibson, Mozart In Mirrorshades by Bruce Sterling and Rudy Rucker, or 400 Boys by Marc Laidlaw.

Speaking of which, apparently David Fincher had attempted to adapt 400 Boys for his rebooted Heavy Metal anthology (which eventually became Love Death And Robots), so who knows if that might actually make an appearance on the show. Marc Laidlaw posted concept art by Raymond Swanland, including a promo image of Galrog, one of the gang leaders...

Here's concept art of one of the HiLo's fighting a 400 Boy...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dodecahedron posted:

I honestly thought the Ellison episode was the strongest. But all the episodes have been great except for the kid murder one.

That one had such terrible exposition

I liked Drowned Giant the most, it felt very confident that it didn’t have to spoon feed you anything.

What did you like about the Ellison one? I didn’t get it

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Pop Squad wouldn't have made much impact to me-from-5-years-ago but now I have a 4 year old it made my cry. And want to spend more time with my son. Me-from-5-years-ago wouldn't have thought it any good.

I read that this season was supposed to be the same amount of episodes as season 1, but Netflix split it up. I guess that means no Season 4. :(

I really want them to do A Logic Named Joe because it's eerie to read a story that was written about the Personal Computer and Google written in 1946. I can't see anyone actually watching it in 2021 being surprised be it, but anyone before 1998 would never believe it. I suppose it's be the same difficulty as trying to do Paris in the 20th Century

Maybe have someone try to explain 2020 to a Science Fiction author from the 20th century. They wouldn't believe it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
No one predicted GUI before they were a thing.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

I really want a short for Asimov’s The Last Question. Seems like it would fit perfectly for this.

There is certainly no lack of good SciFi short stories, here one I like and that scratches a similar itch to The Last Question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fcK_fRYaI

In regards to LD&R: Some very impressive CGI (in a few cases you could have taken a screenshot of human characters and they could genuinly pass as "real", of course still depending on lighting/the particular scene but animation has come a long way) but the stories were rather meh, imo S1 was stronger though both share the obvious problem that a lot of these short stories are simply too short.
Take Snow in the Desert as example... I still liked it and I would love to see more of this world but the whole setting and narrative obviously asked for a lot more time than it could get.
It's extremely hard to stick the landing with short stories especially in a visual medium.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Heavy Metal had some stories that would be good in this kind of anthology. The one that sticks out in my mind is a story I think called "Strong Medicine"

An astronaut is negotiating with the chief of this race of ogre like aliens. They are horribly torturing his buddy in the background. The astronaut tells the chief he knows of "strong medicine" that will make the chiefs tribe impervious to harm. He makes all these ridiculous demands, tells them to gather up various ingredients, and makes it into a salve. He slathers it on his neck, and challenges the chief to try to chop his head off with an axe-warning him to be careful when the weapon will inevitably bounce off harmlessly. Of course he gets decapitated instantly and the ogres are standing there baffled when gradually they start chortling and giggling at what happened. The epilogue ends with "and from then on he was known as Torg the Gullible" lmao

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
There was a neat easter egg between Pop Squad and The Drowned Giant. The store where the dinosaur plush was bought is the same that was in the town at the end of the giant story, Ipswich Collectibles.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Season 2 Saturday. I felt like it lacked the haunting episodes and magic of the first season. I assume that there is a second half planned?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
There's a third season of eight episodes coming next year.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm not sure actually if 8 episodes is really enough.

Anyway, liked it, didn't love it. Same as first season. Keep em coming though

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not sure actually if 8 episodes is really enough.

Anyway, liked it, didn't love it. Same as first season. Keep em coming though

Yeah most episodes are around 7 to 8 minutes.

The bigger budget episodes are closer to 20 minutes.

I enjoyed season 1 more mainly because of the memorable twists in the episodes.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Yeah, Season 1 had more highs and lows, but this season was still solid. Episodes like "Ice" and "Tall Grass" were visually amazing.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paddyo posted:

Yeah, Season 1 had more highs and lows, but this season was still solid. Episodes like "Ice" and "Tall Grass" were visually amazing.

Agreed. Really enjoyed the art and atmosphere of "Tall Grass" and chuckled at "Automated Customer Service." Completely loved "All Through the House" and "Drowned Giant" in about every way although thought the rest were ok. "Pop Squad" was fairly standard sci-fi and decently executed but just didn't grab me but it did kick off my gallows humour big time.
"Wait - is this supposed to be science fiction or reality? Oh wait the kids are white and the cop feels remorse so it's sci-fi."
I mean I got IT but just didn't do anything. Still.... felt way too short. I don't mind 5 minute episodes but kinda wish they had just saved them and double their output on release. Absolutely looking forward to more but just this few short episodes makes me worry it will be forgotten and lost in a week.

Oh yeah. Very little penis. I guess the Drowned Giant counts but it was only partial and I somehow felt a bit...deflated.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Pop Squad was definitely one of my least favorite thanks to the downer subject matter (although the visuals were still very impressive), but even then it was a pretty evocative story and left me wanting to know more about the setting and the people. I felt that way about quite a few of the episodes actually. Reflects well I think on the tight editing and good writing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That flying vespa owned

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Aight, well, not too shabby overall. After the first season I pretty much knew what to expect in terms of quality. Part of the "meh" factor of this show is that it's a victim of advertising; they use words like "groundbreaking", but really this is just tech demos, concept teasers, scattered chuckles and the occasional bit of interesting texture. It's good to kill an afternoon, not expand your mind, or some poo poo like that. Get stoned, blast a few episodes and then move on with your life. Go ahead and add "weak narrative" to all of the below reviews:

ACS - The gnarly character design worked for me, the matter-of-fact existential bleakness of the customer service was occasionally funny, the fish death was legit creepy and reminded me of Raised By Wolves, the dynamic between the neighbors is the best-developed human relationship of the whole series. The intensely petty malice of the robot was a highlight; the way that little fucker drops the last sock in the laundry hamper got a solid laugh. Pretty blunt-force on the commentary front, but it kept it light. If you've ever been to the Villages in Florida this whole episode lands a lot better.
Ice - Seriously dug the art style, particularly the otherworldly quality the CGI gave the whales, and saying "extro" with popping contempt is fun as hell. Go on. Say it. The older brother being the only one who had to bundle up was a good subtle detail. All of these kids suck and the whales should've eaten them.
Pop Squad - The rain/new eyes motif was well-executed, I dug the character design and the little red tie clips of the pop squad gestapo. Opening scene felt Seven as gently caress. Really goes out of its way to punch you in the kisser, commentary-wise. Altered Carbon handled the concept better, and Altered Carbon loving sucked. ACAB.
Snow - Graphically super impressive, putting locks on the glasses in the bar was a nice touch. The absurd lethality of the weaponry reminded me of Elysium, in a good way. Boring as poo poo. Never having anybody gently caress or fall in love would be a huge positive for this show going forward.
Tall Grass - Gentle Lovecraft vibes, kind of an evil Polar Express thing. The conductor was a homey. Really thought they were gonna go with a "ghost train" angle. Menacing beasties.
All Through the House - Funny as poo poo. "Santa" disconnecting the lights on the Christmas tree was slick. They brought back Greta from season one. gently caress that Billy kid, though. I can tell the little poo poo belonged on the Naughty list. Best episode of the season.
Life Hutch - I was like, "this loving dude seriously looks like Michael B. Jordan". The flashlight trick was slick, if you've ever owned a cat, and the tension of keeping still in front of robo-Predator worked. I liked the contrast with the alien ships, and that they went unexplained. Could've been shorter.
The Drowned Giant - I love JG Ballard, I didn't particularly love this. The pool of fish in the giant's hand and the graffiti were nice touches. "The contemplative episode." The fact that the people on the beach did not spend 95% of their time laughing and making stupid jokes about the giant's dong was the most high-concept science fiction this show has yet attempted.

There's nothing here as technically well-executed as Witness, but, huge positive, there's also nothing as gross and exploitative as Witness either. The first season had a bit of, uh, an issue with that, so dialing it back to the point that I'm not embarrassed to watch this with someone else was real nice. More of the laughs landed this season. I don't mind how shallow the commentary elements are, because I, too, have taken a freshman philosophy course. I hope they keep churning these out.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 18, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pop Squad is the standout of the season, if for no other reason than it's the short that's dominating the conversation. It certainly affected me more than anything else did this time around, but I can see how some people would bounce off it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Dodecahedron posted:

The kid murder one was the best one! Santa Claus was neither love, death or robots. Complete bullshit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Terror Sweat posted:

The kid murder one was the best one! Santa Claus was neither love, death or robots. Complete bullshit

Santa Claws was obviously a 3d printer

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Santa Claus was neither love, death or robots. Complete bullshit

The death was implied.

Kids wide awake despite the gifts: "What would have happened if we were...naughty?"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I dunno I watched 4 and while the animation in some was cool I'm just not feeling it. Some of the episodes in season 1 absolutely floored me (Still think about aquila rift)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The tone and plot of a couple shorts made more sense once I looked up what source material they were based on, particularly:

• Automated Customer Service - John Scalzi
  • Pop Squad - Paolo Bacigalupi
  • Snow in the Desert - Neal Asher
  • The Tall Grass - Joe Lansdale
  • Life Hutch - Harlan Ellison
  • The Drowned Giant - J.G. Ballard

Last two in particular were real 'oh, of course it's one of their short stories.'

Snow in the Desert was the one obvious one to me. All you needed were giant crab aliens.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno I watched 4 and while the animation in some was cool I'm just not feeling it. Some of the episodes in season 1 absolutely floored me (Still think about aquila rift)

Beyond the Aquila Rift was also great due to the twist ending which had a few clues earlier in the episode for what was going on (When Suzie freaked out)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Obviously the Santa creature would just poopsock lumps of coal into the naughty kids' stockings.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

etalian posted:

Beyond the Aquila Rift was also great due to the twist ending which had a few clues earlier in the episode for what was going on (When Suzie freaked out)

Yeah - there were a couple of episodes in part 1 that had similar twists if I remember correctly and I feel like that works really well for this quick 15 min one off format

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Young Freud posted:

I'd love to see something like Hinterlands by William Gibson, Mozart In Mirrorshades by Bruce Sterling and Rudy Rucker, or 400 Boys by Marc Laidlaw.

Speaking of which, apparently David Fincher had attempted to adapt 400 Boys for his rebooted Heavy Metal anthology (which eventually became Love Death And Robots), so who knows if that might actually make an appearance on the show. Marc Laidlaw posted concept art by Raymond Swanland, including a promo image of Galrog, one of the gang leaders...

Here's concept art of one of the HiLo's fighting a 400 Boy...

I'd love to see this done justice.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Shame they didn't do more Alastair Reynolds short stories for the season 2. Aquila Rift and Zima Blue were top notch shorts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

adhuin posted:

Shame they didn't do more Alastair Reynolds short stories for the season 2. Aquila Rift and Zima Blue were top notch shorts.

Yeah plus they both ended with memorable twists for the main characters.

Season 2 was visual spectacle but a majority of stories didn't have a memorable ending like a plot twist which had clues throughout the earlier part of the story.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

An eight episode season seems a huge step back to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I just assume it's covid delaying everything, season 4 of Cake seemed pretty rushed and even had repeat segments.