Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
The actual problem with not having a TPM is Microsoft wanting to make it a Windows requirement, not just for bitlocker or secure boot, but because they lean on it heavily for license management now

edit: it's required now for windows server, and like very strongly encouraged for Windows 10. without it you have to do some stuff to keep things like office licenses active

text editor fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Realistic? No, probably not. Possible? Why else would you encrypt your hard drive? :thunk:

To be clear, I meant more in the sense of "clone the disk image and replace it" vs "some jackass steals the whole computer and someone wants to get data off" or "I want to recycle this computer but I don't want to deal with making a DBAN boot to wipe it"

Basically, if you aren't actually worried about specific sensitive IP you're probably fine just doing FDE without a TPM module?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.wired.com/story/the-full-story-of-the-stunning-rsa-hack-can-finally-be-told/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Volmarias posted:

To be clear, I meant more in the sense of "clone the disk image and replace it" vs "some jackass steals the whole computer and someone wants to get data off" or "I want to recycle this computer but I don't want to deal with making a DBAN boot to wipe it"

Basically, if you aren't actually worried about specific sensitive IP you're probably fine just doing FDE without a TPM module?

Gotcha, thanks!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Volmarias posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but I assume that since it's his product, he's pretty publicly announcing this, and the onus is on Celebrate to fix their poo poo, they have no leg to stand on. In the other hand, their clients are cops so he might get raided and have his entire everything ransacked and stolen as revenge and then be shot for "resisting arrest" so who knows.

There's an interview with Moxie where he says he is often detained at airports for hours at a time often for no reason at all other than who he is. He seems pretty unfazed by it at this point.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone have a good list of mandatory controls for enterprise devices (laptops, desktops mobile, etc) that aligns to NIST and/or ISO 27001?

Best I can I find is this and maybe the NIST doc on mobile.
https://www.nist.gov/itl/smallbusinesscyber/securing-data-devices
https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-124r1.pdf

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lol:

quote:

On that Australian employee’s PC, someone had used a tool that pulled credentials out of the machine's memory and then reused those usernames and passwords to log into other machines on the network. They’d then scraped those computers’ memories for more usernames and passwords—finding some that belonged to more privileged administrators. The hackers eventually got to a server containing hundreds of users’ credentials. Today that credential-stealing hopscotching technique is common. But in 2011 the analysts were surprised to see how the hackers fanned out across the network. “It was really just the most brutal way to blow through our systems that I’d ever seen,” Duane says.

The Cuckoo's Egg was written 20 years before that attack, probably before most of the IT people involved started their careers and there were about 10 computers in the whole of China. The whole book boils down to credential hopping, except far slower because it was one hacker reading emails over a 1200 baud modem.

Also lol that the company that made the 2-factor security tokens apparently didn't use them themselves.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EVIL Gibson posted:

well that's the last time I try to be helpful. later

apropos of nothing I really like your cute borg avatar :kimchi:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fun one, but who has their vCenter exposed to the internet...? Why..?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/vulnerability-in-vmware-product-has-severity-rating-of-9-8-out-of-10/

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

they had a similar plug-in based vulnerability earlier this year. what’s old is new again.

last one had a public POC less than 24 hours after being disclosed!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

While I would think most orgs wouldn't expose this to the internet, most orgs are so flat that an attacker would simply need a pivot point inside the perimeter. I would patch that pronto or take other measures.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

While I would think most orgs wouldn't expose this to the internet, most orgs are so flat that an attacker would simply need a pivot point inside the perimeter. I would patch that pronto or take other measures.

Its this. Most orgs there's little to no network segmentation between your management network and your corp networks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For sure, I get that, but in the article they mention that there's a bunch of public facing vCenter servers on Shodan. Amazing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

For sure, I get that, but in the article they mention that there's a bunch of public facing vCenter servers on Shodan. Amazing.

Shodan is an amazing tool. I especially like to show people living, breathing examples of stupidity in order to scare them into compliance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

Shodan is an amazing tool. I especially like to show people living, breathing examples of stupidity in order to scare them into compliance.

Turn on your monitor the next time you do it though

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

You know all those things that say "Do not expose to the internet", like vSphere, or Jenkins, or Redis, or k8s. People don't read that and just deploy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I see it with frightening regularity in the hosting world, since customers are basically giant clevels and can demand whatever dumb insecure poo poo they want because security is so inconvenient.

Like, I had to roll back a vpn security update a few weeks back to a known insecure version because they didn't want to deal with making remote workers update their clients. This was for a hospitals systems.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I think that when you get to a certain size, "not publicly accessible" stops being real meaningful. If 20k people have access to your internal network, how safe can it be?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Those 20k people are all on company provided devices with associated controls and usually don’t have a desire to gently caress around where they aren’t supposed to

Compared to the internet even a large corporate network is downright sterile

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

not to mention the fact that you shouldn't have 20k people able to hit your vcenter directly anyway, that should probably be on a secured segment of its own

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RFC2324 posted:

not to mention the fact that you shouldn't have 20k people able to hit your vcenter directly anyway, that should probably be on a secured segment of its own

as I routinely remind people at work, we don't ship "should", we ship "do"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Subjunctive posted:

I'm stealing this phrase. Thanks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Subjunctive posted:

thats a giant and accurate oof

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ynglaur posted:

I'm stealing this phrase. Thanks.

may it bring you more success than it's brought me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Those 20k people are all on company provided devices with associated controls and usually don’t have a desire to gently caress around where they aren’t supposed to

Compared to the internet even a large corporate network is downright sterile

Yeah, your Vcenter should be on an isolated management network only Admins can reach, and anybody on your corp network should be on a controlled device that either is on the corp network or on VPN to get to the corp network.

Subjunctive posted:

Oof bit of truth indeed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Nobody's paying for that except faang, banks and a select few others tho.

Subjunctive posted:

may it bring you more success than it's brought me
:pray:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

Nobody's paying for that except faang, banks and a select few others tho.

Oh sure, which is why "we don't have to worry about X because Team Q should be doing Y" is the form of question I try to guide people away from, towards "does Team Q actually do Y or do we need to worry about X?" This is the case even at places that generally pay for more adherence to "should", since it's not always just paying for it that is necessary.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Oh sure, which is why "we don't have to worry about X because Team Q should be doing Y" is the form of question I try to guide people away from, towards "does Team Q actually do Y or do we need to worry about X?" This is the case even at places that generally pay for more adherence to "should", since it's not always just paying for it that is necessary.

Never forget the "if X happened, Team Q would be the prime suspects (and they wouldn't like that)" angle.

Also users are the worst and they will break any guidelines eventually. So make sure they can't. Network segments is one tool here.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lol when I worked for an MSSP in a previous life you have no idea how many times we were used as a "logging and monitoring" checkmark when all a client wanted to pay for was sending /var/log/secure to our bog standard SIEM.

"why yes our environment is logged* and monitored*"

I resigned after six months. Imagine having your fingerprints anywhere near that dumpster fire :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 27, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Oh sure, which is why "we don't have to worry about X because Team Q should be doing Y" is the form of question I try to guide people away from, towards "does Team Q actually do Y or do we need to worry about X?"
I think you're being v generous :)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
A service team today tried to tell my Security team that the XSS we ticketed them about "wasn't really an issue because users would see it was a strange URL and not click it."

That conversation went about as well for them from that point forward as you'd expect.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

"wasn't really an issue because users would see it was a strange URL and not click it."

we've solved phishing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Serious Hardware / Software CrapThe Infosec Thread: users would see it was a strange URL and not click it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I found a cisco admin console in shodan in my orgs ASN, exposed to the world under a public IP. I reached out to one of the network guys, who pointed me to a specific network admin. When I told him it was exposed, he argued. Fine. I show him proof and he still argues. His reasoning? He can't get to it. I then have to explain routing tables and nat to a person whose job is to do network things.

:fuckoff:

Enjoy doing that in off hours fuckstick.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I resigned after six months. Imagine having your fingerprints anywhere near that dumpster fire :q:
This is all MSP/MSSP life. Leave before the house of cards crumbles.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone done a SABSA course/exam? The material looks interesting and in line with my current responsibilities.

It seems like it might be less of a worthless piece of paper than CISSP was.

E: Worthless in the useful sense, not monetary sense :q:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I found a cisco admin console in shodan in my orgs ASN, exposed to the world under a public IP. I reached out to one of the network guys, who pointed me to a specific network admin. When I told him it was exposed, he argued. Fine. I show him proof and he still argues. His reasoning? He can't get to it. I then have to explain routing tables and nat to a person whose job is to do network things.

:fuckoff:

Enjoy doing that in off hours fuckstick.

I have a couple clients I have I found on Shodan, most cleared up my findings quick, expect one who said it was okay because he was the only one who knew.

Was fun when I showed him it on the public net, on Shodan, in front of his manager. He didn't know what Shodan was.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 28, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What is this Shodan you guys are speaking of and how can I incorporate it into my infosec lifestyle?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

What is this Shodan you guys are speaking of and how can I incorporate it into my infosec lifestyle?

https://www.shodan.io/

A webcrawler for all the exposed services and servers out there on the world wide web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos