Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
A fantasy GSG seems like the most logical thing to do and it's what I'm hoping for the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Warhammer Universialis

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Anno posted:

Also NoCB, a podcast almost entirely about Paradox games, frequently with Paradox developers. If she’s excited so am I, though I hope it’s for a fantasy GSG over Vic3.

One of the main 3MA hosts works for Paradox now too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Troy hasn't been a main host for a minute

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Do they announce today or tomorrow ?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Grevlek posted:

Do they announce today or tomorrow ?

Tomorrow at 2000 CEST

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

Tomorrow at 2000 CEST

Okay thanks!

I would be down for Imperialism 3. Its the game I'm the most surprised hasn't come back in any shape.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Grevlek posted:

Okay thanks!

I would be down for Imperialism 3. Its the game I'm the most surprised hasn't come back in any shape.

Played the poo poo out of Imperialism 2, it was fun as hell. Then people on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic started posting about this upcoming new game called "Europa Universalis" which seemed kind of interesting.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I found both on Home of the Underdogs. I’m ... not sure I want present state Paradox being the one to revive Imperialism.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hello Grand Strat thread, it's been over a year since I was clutched by the strong arms of Clausewitz and I wanted to jump back into EU4.

But woah.

Woah.

What happened?

I went back a few pages but haven't seen any chatter in a week or two about the hotfixes post Leviathan and I don't fully understand why it sucks, nor do I totally trust steam reviews because most of them talk about bugs that a recent review (~3 days) said the hotfixes addressed. Is it really that gutting mechanically or is it just buggy? Is it a classic case of "the mechanics are in anyway but you need the DLC to exploit them, you gently caress" where I have to buy the DLC anyway, or can I just not buy it and avoid the bad parts?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Just a completely disastrous DLC launch that they're still busy unfucking. Roll back to a previous patch if you want to play EU4.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hello Grand Strat thread, it's been over a year since I was clutched by the strong arms of Clausewitz and I wanted to jump back into EU4.

But woah.

Woah.

What happened?

I went back a few pages but haven't seen any chatter in a week or two about the hotfixes post Leviathan and I don't fully understand why it sucks, nor do I totally trust steam reviews because most of them talk about bugs that a recent review (~3 days) said the hotfixes addressed. Is it really that gutting mechanically or is it just buggy? Is it a classic case of "the mechanics are in anyway but you need the DLC to exploit them, you gently caress" where I have to buy the DLC anyway, or can I just not buy it and avoid the bad parts?

The 1.31 patch itself completely hosed the game up, and the only way to avoid that was to roll back the game version in steam. It was their least polished release in years, easily. A lot of the bugs were addressed in recent hotfixes, this is true, but nowhere near all of them. Though, if Leviathan and 1.31 were released in the state it's in now, I don't think the steam review backlash would've been quite as strong. It would still be notably unpolished but not "worst reviewed game on steam" unpolished.

As for what's still wrong with it, a fair amount. The concentrate development DLC feature is still poorly balanced. The north american tribal features still aren't working as intended I believe, and they are way too strong current. Many of the new mission trees and idea sets they weirdly designed and pretty overpowered. Zoroastrian is a copy and paste of coptic christianity—it literally had copy and pasted art assets from coptic that they replaced, but it still has coptic events sometimes. The army attachment system (which is necessary to use if you want to play optimally with mercenaries) breaks in all kinds of frustrating ways. Still many other smaller bugs that need to be fixed.

I think you could play 1.31 though and not notice most of this stuff depending on where you play (like in europe). It's playable now, which is more than you could say at launch, but I'd wait at least another patch to get into it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 21, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sounds like buying Emperor as its still on sale and playing 1.30 is the way to go, for now. Thanks for the feedback. I miss EU4 and I don't think I want to jump into any of the others as EU4 is really the one of all the modern offerings that keep me coming.

Is this the version I want?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have been expecting it as Vicky 3 (and having recently gotten into Vicky 2 for a mega campaign I have been interested to see a modern version of that) but now that I think about it a fantasy GSG is entirely my jam.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really hope its vicky 3 but I would not be upset with either bronze age, cold war or fantasy settings

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah my feeling is it's either Vicky 3 or an entirely new franchise and it's about even odds between them. I wouldn't expect a sequel to any of their other franchises right now - Stellaris and EU4 both just got expansions (even if EU4's was kind of a disaster), CK3 is obviously way too new in general, and I don't really think it would make sense for them to be making HoI5 just because like, HoI4 still has plenty of stuff left to build on and it's just not really a game that needs a sequel right now.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also they're putting out dev diaries for the next Hoi4 expansion.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think a bronze age game will be as interesting as people think it will be but hey more power to you guys.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i like vicky but it's not gonna be vicky

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A bronze age game would be amazing if they actually managed to capture stateless societies and their formation into more centralized entities. So yeah I agree with you that it'd be meh

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Sounds like buying Emperor as its still on sale and playing 1.30 is the way to go, for now. Thanks for the feedback. I miss EU4 and I don't think I want to jump into any of the others as EU4 is really the one of all the modern offerings that keep me coming.

Is this the version I want?

:lol: I like that you can still revert to the Leviathan hotfix patches that did things like delete every single country in the world, leaving the map blank and destroying your save.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

it's going to be march of the eagles 2

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/on-sale/

Might be nothing but thats certainly a suggestive lineup of titles on sale

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I knew it they are bringing back the official mods program and we are getting Arsenal of Democracy 2.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
darkest hour 2 you cowards!!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For the Glory 2 or bust

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Are we actually about to get a new vicky... is it really true? I just refuse to believe it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A miracle will never occur if you don't believe

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Old World Blues is official now

Do it pducks

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

I knew it they are bringing back the official mods program and we are getting Arsenal of Democracy 2.

keep it in the HoI2 engine and that's an instant preorder from me

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 21, 2021

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

A miracle will never occur if you don't believe

Satan has his miracles

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think a bronze age game will be as interesting as people think it will be but hey more power to you guys.

Any idea or concept can be interesting, the real trick is in being able to tale whatever is in it and actually implement it into something that is interesting and fun.

And probably the biggest limitation to Paradox's standard format is how much everything relies on maps so more fluid societies can't really be properly represented, you don't get much visual or kinesthetic feedback for things other than territory size (or at least, you have to sink really deep into the game before you start to feel the other systems working), and there's a whole world of issues when you try making your own maps instead of just copying the real world. It's not easy to break out of that box.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I have a strong feeling a bronze age game would be Imperetor where you paint the map with Egypt or Babylon and everyone forgets it exists before they drop a Sea People DLC, everyone plays for a minute and then drops it again

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I loved Vicky 1 and 2, but I hope they extend the timeline to encompass more of the Industrial Revolution. At least from 1815-1920 (1792-1920) would be better.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
It's time for the long awaited Iron Cross 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every man a king, every pixel a province

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's going to be a mobile game.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Like so many others I'm really hoping for Vic3. If nothing else, supporting converters to and from Vic2 is a complete pain thanks to its age.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

It's going to be Victoria: iOS, tap rapidly to build factories faster than France so you can arm enough soldier pops to win the war for unification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wiz finally finished Victoria's Secret