Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Reveilled posted:

Finished the game last night. Overall the game was just "more subnautica" which is pretty much what I expected, but I'm disappointed there was nothing to truly surprise me and subvert that expectation. I enjoyed the game, but a few things really stood out as seeming unfinished, or at least uninspired.

Felt unfinished:
Maida was great, but despite being a big wow moment when you meet her at Delta Station, she just fully checks out of the story after the Greenhouse and that's that.

The Sam plotline didn't make much sense to me in the end. What I gathered was that Sam died in the Phi Excavation Site (since her necklace was there), and that Alterra judged it to be accidental based on a cave in. But there's no real indication I can see of the truth of the matter. Sam wanted to stop Alterra from using the Kharaa bacteria, she had an antidote (that somehow doesn't use Enzyme 42?), and there's an injector machine right next to the leviathan, but she didn't use either. Presumably then she really did die just before getting a chance to complete her plan. So how did she die? Did she kill herself accidentally in a cave-in? Was there a fight between her and Parvan that caused the cave-in? Did Parvan kill her? Also, if the investigator sent in after visited both the Excavation site and the genetics lab, why isn't Alterra back in force? Investigator lady should have been able to read all the same PDAs I did.

Agreed on the ending, apparently she decided not to use the cure and instead bombed the leviathan site, she screwed up and killed herself. I personally think Alterra is gone because they lost containment of their experimental Kharaa when someone drove a truck into the lab. Which is definitely the rational thing to do because you're concerned the virus might escape.

Also, I'm kind of assuming her 'cure' was more akin to bleach. It can sterilize Kharaa but not a true cure you could take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
(og subnautica) Built my second base a ways in the south west at the top of a big trench. Found the island to the south and I can grow plantlife now which I'm hoping will mitigate a lot of my constant food/water search. Going to build a scanner room at each base I make and just carry the modules around with me probably. I still haven't gone near the Aurora, been kind of putting that off after seeing the things swimming around it. Have the feeling I'll need to though soon.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Aww go say hi to the screamy bois, they just want to give you hugs.....with their teeeeeeth.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Sound design in this is real good and upping the spookiness. I'm very certain thanks to my scanners that the area between my SW base and where those islands were pretty safe near surface level, but the combination of not being able to see the ocean floor anymore beneath me while cruising at 50m and the sudden thumping bass beat as I started to go south caused me to just retreat right back to my base the first time and recheck my scanners.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Reveilled posted:

Felt unfinished:

Agree with every point you made 100%.

With Maida, it's like like all the interesting potential they've built up since the first game and you build up all these expectations while turning off the transmitter and suddenly it's

The Sam story is really dumb and honestly should have been dropped for something like Maida vs. Altera instead along with Alan.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Bedshaped posted:

With Maida, it's like like all the interesting potential they've built up since the first game and you build up all these expectations while turning off the transmitter and suddenly it's

The Sam story is really dumb and honestly should have been dropped for something like Maida vs. Altera instead along with Alan.

I disagree, I didn’t find Maida to be particularly interesting. Sam’s story actually felt personal, the game could have done a better job at urging you along and reminding the player about deploying the cure, but that is something they could probably still fix.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Agreed on the ending, apparently she decided not to use the cure and instead bombed the leviathan site, she screwed up and killed herself. I personally think Alterra is gone because they lost containment of their experimental Kharaa when someone drove a truck into the lab. Which is definitely the rational thing to do because you're concerned the virus might escape.

Also, I'm kind of assuming her 'cure' was more akin to bleach. It can sterilize Kharaa but not a true cure you could take.

My reasoning is that there's no issue there - basically after the events of the first game the aquatic environment on the planet is flooded with Enzyme 42, so if the Khara containment is broken it'll just get killed off by the enzyme that is omnipresent under the water. The danger is that Alterra was messing about trying to create mutant strains of khara which might eventually lead to the emergence of a resistant strain, and also they might send the bacterium off world.

I guess the intent with the explosion plan was that it was meant to be a sufficiently big accident that it was supposed to dissuade Alterra from coming back to the planet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They decided to rewrite the story at the end of 2019 coincidentally after the writer of Subnautica 1 and the early BZ storyline left for greener pastures.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Didn't a writer or composer turn out to be a sexpest?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Fangz posted:

My reasoning is that there's no issue there - basically after the events of the first game the aquatic environment on the planet is flooded with Enzyme 42, so if the Khara containment is broken it'll just get killed off by the enzyme that is omnipresent under the water. The danger is that Alterra was messing about trying to create mutant strains of khara which might eventually lead to the emergence of a resistant strain, and also they might send the bacterium off world.

I guess the intent with the explosion plan was that it was meant to be a sufficiently big accident that it was supposed to dissuade Alterra from coming back to the planet.

Oh for sure, I'm on team 'studying Kharaa on 4546B is the safest place to do because of the pervasiveness of the enzyme'. But why is the entire game devoid of people? Losing containment of their mutant (and maybe resistant) Kharaa is the only halfway logical reason I can think that everyone just abandoned everything. Or everyone is hanging out on the space station because of that initial meteor storm and are just waiting it and the weather out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Didn't a writer or composer turn out to be a sexpest?

The composer on the first game. I think they got someone else in for BZ.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Successfully explored the Aurora without dying to any of the threats swimming around it. It got dark just around the time I got to the front of the Aurora exterior all the screenshakes started, which made it extra stressful. Once I got in took a lot of trips in and out to get everything I could in one go.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Did you fix the reactor room?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

Did you fix the reactor room?

Yeah.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tenebrais posted:

The composer on the first game. I think they got someone else in for BZ.

Composer? Or just the sound guy, Simon Chylinski?

Game Director Charlie Cleveland seems like a real loving winner too.

He pretty quickly deleted it and now throws up #blacklivesmatter as part of his display name. loving fell in line when that bullshit didn't play out.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bedshaped posted:

There's not much interesting you can do with Maida that they didn't. Her whole character is she's a hypercompetent killing machine who doesn't suffer fools (everyone else) gladly, it's fun to hear about the wild poo poo she gets up to in the occasional datalog but her taking a central place in the story of a game like Subnautica basically just means either lobotomizing the character or watching her blow poo poo up and surf leviathans in cutscenes while the player (who can do none of these things) stands there and claps, and UW couldn't just let her be a cool side character who rode off into the sunset on Reaperback so they settled on doing a little of both. A hapless nerd who loves penguins getting in way over her head has a lot more potential narratively, they just kinda hosed up the latter half of her arc so it never paid off.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 20, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Oh for sure, I'm on team 'studying Kharaa on 4546B is the safest place to do because of the pervasiveness of the enzyme'. But why is the entire game devoid of people? Losing containment of their mutant (and maybe resistant) Kharaa is the only halfway logical reason I can think that everyone just abandoned everything. Or everyone is hanging out on the space station because of that initial meteor storm and are just waiting it and the weather out.

My headcanon is that it's because they figured there's a psycho killer lady on the planet

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Oasx posted:

I disagree, I didn’t find Maida to be particularly interesting. Sam’s story actually felt personal, the game could have done a better job at urging you along and reminding the player about deploying the cure, but that is something they could probably still fix.

Ending spoilers:

I 'finished' the game by following Alan to his gaff, then reloaded the save because I wanted to build a showroom for all the beds I'd collected, and also because I still wanted to find the blueprint for the propulsion cannon, dammit. After doing that and generally mucking about for a few hours, I suddenly realized 'hey wait a minute, wasn't there a huge-rear end frozen monster in the ice somewhere and a suspiciously empty vaccine delivery machine? I wonder if I could do something with that?

So yeah, the game does a REALLY bad job of making you finish 1 of the 2 storylines.

I guess this wouldn't happen if you would diligently drive your mecha-penguin into every single hole you find, but the vaccine cave must've been the single one I skipped for some reason. It doesn't help that, apart from just this one and the other one with a PDA, most of the holes are just filled with loving quartz and just feel like a 'fun' but ultimately useless mechanic.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

uXs posted:

I guess this wouldn't happen if you would diligently drive your mecha-penguin into every single hole you find

thread title imo

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zesty posted:

Composer? Or just the sound guy, Simon Chylinski?

Yes, he's also credited for its soundtrack.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, I was worried I'd hate the Seatruck but it's actually very OK. If it weren't for the fact that the Cyclops exists I'd actually really love it, but it's definitely lacking in comparison. I think if it were less stingy about storage it could be a winner -- every module should have some storage. Maybe one or two small lockers in the Hab module (for clothes, food, etc), another small locker or maybe a cell charger in the Fab module, and deck out the Storage module with some more space and it would be top tier.

I do think the Seatruck fits thematically with this game much better. The whole map feels tighter/closer but in a good way that doesn't feel like less since the seafloor is often much more intricate and interesting than the sometimes vast open spaces of OG Subnautica where the Cyclops feels more at home. The cyclops would be kinda lumbering here and too big for many of the neat areas.

Also, the big base rooms are super cool.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I followed one of those alien pipe things until it disappeared into a glacier near Phi Base station and found what looked to be a transparent sheet of ice wall that I couldn't break or laser cut blocking then entrance to a cave. The seaglide 3D map shows a tunnel behind it - is there some way to get in there?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

PDP-1 posted:

I followed one of those alien pipe things until it disappeared into a glacier near Phi Base station and found what looked to be a transparent sheet of ice wall that I couldn't break or laser cut blocking then entrance to a cave. The seaglide 3D map shows a tunnel behind it - is there some way to get in there?

You can cut it from the other side - In the teleporter gate room (iirc) beyond the ice worms there is a wall that's been blown open by Alterra which leads down to a very narrow cave that eventually takes you to that entrance. I don't recall anything interesting in there though, but might have missed something.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just got the Prawn Suit

I feel powerful

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

20 hours into below zero and I still only have the recipe for one vehicle, compared to subnautica where I had all the vehicle recipes very early. good thing I like the truck.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

20 hours into below zero and I still only have the recipe for one vehicle, compared to subnautica where I had all the vehicle recipes very early. good thing I like the truck.

Probably not a spoiler but being extra cautious:
The radio POIs it gives you early on after visiting the Delta Base will lead you right over some good stuff, just stick near seafloor. Also, visit the other bases indicated on the map found in Delta and there's equipment there.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Speaking of the Prawn, it feels less spiderman-y in BZ. Whenever you want to fly forward with it using the grapple arms you use up boost. Is there some way of counteracting this?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out where this "greenhouse on an iceberg" is. I found an iceberg that had a big ol' artifact on it, but nothing else. Where in relation to that am I supposed to go?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Not sure about making it more spiderman-y, but I did discover that movement in the prawn suit appears bugged. I'm going to put it in spoilers, because it's one of those things that once you know about it there might be a strong temptation to use it even if it's annoying to pull off. Moving diagonally is twice as fast (maybe more?) as moving straight ahead. Underwater, you can get up to pretty insane speeds leaping through the water moving diagonally to your destination, and even on land you get really zippy when you start walking diagonally everywhere.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm having a really hard time figuring out where this "greenhouse on an iceberg" is. I found an iceberg that had a big ol' artifact on it, but nothing else. Where in relation to that am I supposed to go?

This drove me nuts, but you're in the right general area, you're looking for one that's even larger. I seem to remember it being out further than I'd expected.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 20, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

they shoulda renamed it the CRAB suit and bam, problem solved

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly, you probably need to watch a youtube for this. I can tell it's like 1km east of delta, but it's a pita to find so just watch a video that will hold your hand.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Honestly, you probably need to watch a youtube for this. I can tell it's like 1km east of delta, but it's a pita to find so just watch a video that will hold your hand.

:rolleyes: gently caress off game. Thanks!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This game coulda done with a periscope, for sure. The truck doesn't jump out of the water like the moth did.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So what you're looking for they gave you more or less good directions as far as distance and general direction, but it's farther south than you'd expect. If you head east from where they tell you to start for almost exactly 1 km and you don't see anything head due south.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
So I don't remember ever being able to eat spicy peppers in this game when I wasn't playing Survival mode. Did I just miss that or can you eat them still? Because that's actually a point in favor of Survival mode otherwise.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I swear the thing Pollyanna is looking for is directly south of the other thing they found. At least for me, after finding the greenhouse I saw a green light on another one in the distance and just swam over. Still probably better off looking online than listening to me though.

Finished this myself last night after avoiding spoilers all through Early Access. Objectively it's got good and bad so I rather not just repeat what everyone knows already, so I'll just say overall I enjoyed it. Whatever bad is outweighed by the fact that the gameplay loop of "go out, explore, return to base with new findings" is still fun to me. I really liked that this map had so many twisty caves; there may not have been as many biomes or quite as large, but I ended up spending a lot of time in each one. The first game's areas were nicer looking, but were mostly empty except for some wrecks.

That being said, the caves made me wish the sub had a Pathfinder upgrade, or maybe the seaglide's little local map. I definitely would not have found Grandma's deep sea cottage if I hadn't looked it up; I thought I had thoroughly explored those caves and then poof, a tunnel I somehow never went down. Then again I never found the frozen leviathan without help, so maybe I just suck at exploring caves.

The seatruck was a little disappointing, only because I found I didn't really need any of the cabs. I carted the storage and prawn carrier around for a while, mostly to bring all my tools/suits with me everywhere, but ultimately all that did was save me a trip to my base if I was going from deep caves to the surface in one trip. My hot take, though, is I like the concept and would like to try a version of Subnautica where you get the truck and fabricator earlier, but there's no base building tool (and obviously make the cabs bigger/decoratable/etc). Let me live in a mobile home in a bigger ocean.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Celebrity Ghost posted:

That being said, the caves made me wish the sub had a Pathfinder upgrade, or maybe the seaglide's little local map. I definitely would not have found Grandma's deep sea cottage if I hadn't looked it up; I thought I had thoroughly explored those caves and then poof, a tunnel I somehow never went down. Then again I never found the frozen leviathan without help, so maybe I just suck at exploring caves.

Yeah the sonar from the original is sorely missing.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

The seatruck was a little disappointing, only because I found I didn't really need any of the cabs. I carted the storage and prawn carrier around for a while, mostly to bring all my tools/suits with me everywhere, but ultimately all that did was save me a trip to my base if I was going from deep caves to the surface in one trip. My hot take, though, is I like the concept and would like to try a version of Subnautica where you get the truck and fabricator earlier, but there's no base building tool (and obviously make the cabs bigger/decoratable/etc). Let me live in a mobile home in a bigger ocean.

I think the Seatruck is amazing and way, way better than the Seamoth or Cyclops.

It fixes the biggest issue I had with the Cyclops, where you had to choose between taking a Seamoth or a Prawn with you. Take the Seamoth and you can't go deep enough or dig the ore piles, and take the Prawn and it will take you ages to get back to base. The Seatruck can just haul the Prawn and when you need to quickly go somewhere you can dump the modules for a quick second and zoom off to wherever you want to be.

That said, it could use some improvement: the storage module is too small, as is the storage in the fabricator module. The sleep and aquarium modules are pretty useless (the game sorely needs fish breeding in normal aquariums), and the teleporter is too expensive and would require 2-way teleporting to be actually useful.

A sonar module would've been awesome, but probably overpowered.

I did and do love the Cyclops, but the Seatruck is just better because it's a (slightly smaller) Cyclops and Seamoth in 1.

(And why didn't they make a farming module?)

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Celebrity Ghost posted:

The stupid trick I always used to find qanon grandma was the air plants, since she's such an early stop in the game there's a series of air plants that lead you right to her since you won't have a depth 2 module when you get her waypoint. The above ground is entirely a maze so yea nothing you can really do there except start drawing a map.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

The stupid trick I always used to find qanon grandma was the air plants, since she's such an early stop in the game there's a series of air plants that lead you right to her since you won't have a depth 2 module when you get her waypoint. The above ground is entirely a maze so yea nothing you can really do there except start drawing a map.

There are also lights you can follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Is anyone else getting a super weird reflection effect on their double-wide alien containments?