Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Berserk is genuinely one of the best fantasy epics inside any medium, enjoy the ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Blasting the OST from the anime on loop, RIP.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Is what happened to Miura the sort of thing that would be greatly affected by more sleep? Outside of general stress on the body, that's the sort of defect that just gets worse over time regardless, right?

Yeah stress and lack of sleep is a factor:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22127533/

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Goddamnit

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would speculate that the hiatuses and the power of im@s helped Miura get a better work-life balance but the body doesn't escape decades of abuse unscathed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Puukko naamassa posted:

I wish more mangaka took Mizuki-sensei's advice:

You shouldn't have to go through a world war and lose an arm to realize that destroying your health by overworking is not worth it.

That was the exact comic I mentioned earlier

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Been catching up on the thread and it's a little bit of a wakeup call to take care of myself more too. Three to four hours of sleep and a busy work schedule is too relatable.

This one hit more than I expected, honestly. I knew we'd probably never see Berserk end, but this feels too sudden and soon. It feels like Miura was viciously chewed up and spat out by his industry, despite being one of its current biggest figures. I think how the series ends feels perfect, though. The fact that Berserk kind of reflects Miura's life, it only makes sense that the series, itself, ends where it does, but it still feels unfair for Miura and his family that this would happen. Everyone should take care of themselves too. I'll miss my annual updates.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I am still making my way through the golden age arc. This news has motivated me to finish, obviously.

Before this I had been reading This Immortal by Roger Zelazny, which I had picked up because of a reference in Berserk. In honor of our fallen mangaka I will finish both.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I've been avoiding this thread because I am WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind.

I saw the news a couple days ago :(

It sounds like he died from neglecting his health? If someone has a link or something, I guess I'm interested in it because yeah, working too much, not sleeping enough, and stress-drinking through some of that are probably all things I should cut back on, at least a little bit :ohdear:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CrashScreen posted:

This one hit more than I expected, honestly. I knew we'd probably never see Berserk end, but this feels too sudden and soon. It feels like Miura was viciously chewed up and spat out by his industry, despite being one of its current biggest figures.

He was, and he's not alone. Creative industries in general are loving awful with crunch culture and the anime/manga industry is no exception. Togashi, Kubo, many other highly prominent mangaka ended up having to bow out because they literally destroyed their bodies trying to keep up to their industry's demanding schedule.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well poo poo this sucks

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
From a 2009 interview:

quote:

Q8: Could you describe an average day in your studio? How many hours each day do you work?

I start working at 2:00 PM and I finish at 7:00 AM. Of course, the time I spend eating is included. I work 15-16 hours everyday, without holidays.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Berserk is what got me into anime and manga to begin with. I watched the anime in high school and started reading the manga as soon as I realized there were scanlations available. It's been a part of my life for the majority of life at this point. I'm going to miss Miura so much.

My first post on SA actually was some cringy thread I posted here on adtrw about Berserk. "Hey guys, have you heard about this obscure manga called Berserk yet? :D" Turns out that yeah, it was pretty popular!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

gently caress. :(

Darkest timeline. :(

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If there's any good to come from this, I hope this puts a huge spotlight on the conditions of the industry and how unhealthy it is.

We lost one of the greatest manga artists this century because of the japanese manga industries insane work demands. He could have finished this masterpiece if he wasn't working 16 hours a day every day.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It took me a long time to warm up to reading the manga, due to some of the content.

It turned out to be worth braving.

The strongest theme, hands down, is so very simplistic: It's hard to just be a functioning human being. Miura was telling it straight from the heart.

My favorite character is still Farnese.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Berserk was the first anime I ever watched that had a deep story going on behind the visual flare. For better or worse, in some of the more trying times of my life I've drawn inspiration from Guts' story: continuing to struggle against seemingly impossible odds while the universe aligns itself in opposition.

For a long time, the sheer size of the Berserk manga put me off to ever checking it out and I would read these threads to get an (albeit limited) idea of the story. When I found out that the Deluxe Editions were available earlier this year, I picked up Volume 1 immediately. Looks like I'll be waiting for the subsequent volumes to come back in stock...

Rest in peace Kentaro.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I couldn't put my finger on why I was so miserable about Miura's death for a couple hours. Obviously I was sad and am sad the man died, but one thing that really gets to me is that Berserk really is unique among manga. Obviously there are other dark fantasy stories, people fighting monsters with giant swords, etc., but nearly nothing I can think of can be described as "like Berserk". Now that I know that this incredibly crafted one-of-a-kind thing will never be finished, that this artist who spent so much time and effort to create and share this work won't be able to complete it, it's incredibly depressing.
I will miss you Kentaro, and I hope you rest well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KillerQueen posted:

I couldn't put my finger on why I was so miserable about Miura's death for a couple hours. Obviously I was sad and am sad the man died, but one thing that really gets to me is that Berserk really is unique among manga. Obviously there are other dark fantasy stories, people fighting monsters with giant swords, etc., but nearly nothing I can think of can be described as "like Berserk". Now that I know that this incredibly crafted one-of-a-kind thing will never be finished, that this artist who spent so much time and effort to create and share this work won't be able to complete it, it's incredibly depressing.
A shockingly large chunk of fantasy, videogames, manga, etc flat out would not exist in their current forms without Berserk to inspire them. Miura and Berserk are basically keystones in popular art.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Fabricated posted:

A shockingly large chunk of fantasy, videogames, manga, etc flat out would not exist in their current forms without Berserk to inspire them. Miura and Berserk are basically keystones in popular art.

I think that's a big point of solace, for me. Even if this artist's magnum opus isn't finished, it's going to keep echoing through the culture probably forever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fabricated posted:

Dark Souls, very specifically, exists largely in part as a tribute to Berserk.

Man, this loving sucks. :sigh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KillerQueen posted:

we can all expect this last panel to become increasingly relevant as time goes on:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
It's weird. For the last like 15 years I've been catching up to Berserk every year or two and today I had to do it for the last time. One of the all time best stories ever, this sucks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

The manga industry is horrid.

This is hosed up as hell.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://twitter.com/KenAkamatsu/status/1395219133977948160

what a send off...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/extrafabulous/status/1395391927588114440?s=21

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Paying my respects to Miura.

He was unequivocally one of the masters of manga as a medium and illustration as a whole and nobody before or since will reach the heights as he had achieved. Never again will we see manga with panels that resonate with such a level of detail and intricacy like a Gustave Doré print and the world will always remember and cherish Miura's work. His impact will continue to be felt for generations to come.

I don't normally get choked up about the passing of a notable figure, but this one hits hard. He was taken way too soon.

:rip:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Man with Hat posted:

It's weird. For the last like 15 years I've been catching up to Berserk every year or two and today I had to do it for the last time. One of the all time best stories ever, this sucks.

I think that is part of the reason why this is getting to so many people. There was a sense of consistency with Miura slowly producing new chapters but now he is gone and that is it.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Rest in peace. One of the best works I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The Tower of Salvation arc will stick with me always. Not for the epic fight scenes, or for plot revelations, but for the that moment, when Guts is faced with the choice of losing himself to rage and revenge, to give in to his worst instincts, or to try and save the one person he truly cares about, the last link to both his old life and the first link in building a new life out of the ruin that fate itself had made of things. I'm probably not doing it justice but I loved that moment.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

anybody got a translation of this?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tsob posted:

It's possible with the recent success of Invincible that Amazon will see that and decide to greenlight a proper adaptation of Berserk. It could never have a conclusive finish, but it'd be nice to get a good adaptation of what is there and not just selected arcs.

He was in talks and excited for awhile after the Alita movie came out. It was only a matter of time before a more serious adaption of his work happened.

It's heart breaking it might happen this way though

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Slamming the fax button when you see your favourite high schooler witch in a sexy moment

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lucasar posted:

anybody got a translation of this?

here's a google translate version

quote:

We pray for the souls of Professor Kentaro Miura.

Mr. Miura likes Yue Ayase of "Negima", and when Yue becomes an erotic pinch, he is so excited that he sends a fax, and I am very happy to receive permission from Mr. Sehiko Negima. I did.
It's a big shock ...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
My plan was to read Berserk once it was done or as close to done as could be. Didn't think it would be like this.

Condolences to Mr. Miura's family and friends and colleagues. A titan of the industry and a decent human being who was encouraging and considerate towards others in the manga industry. He is rightly remembered with love and respect. I hope he knew how respected and cherished he was.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
This really sucks :smith:

edit: I've taken up a vigil spot with others in FFXIV.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 21, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Vandar posted:

Dark Souls, very specifically, exists largely in part as a tribute to Berserk.

Pretty much every game's had either enemy designs, straight up 1/1 bits of clothing and weapons (Irvine's hat and black bow in DS1 is always an easy one) or other bits that are just "Man, Berserk kicks rear end" lol

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hell the Hunter's Mark from BloodBorne is straight out of Berserk.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I finished reading the golden age arc today for the first time, somehow staying unspoiled on what was gonna happen, and holy smokes. Epic, evil, awe inspiring. Having read those notes on his grueling work schedule, it’s hard not to read the sacrifice of Griffith to Miura’s own life. My god what a spectacle though.

Did DIO ever read Berserk?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s nice to see one major publication run an article about his death written by a journalist who is also a fan. This person is able to put into words why people loved the manga so much rather than the sort of form letter summarizing I’ve seen from the rest of the media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/05/20/kentaro-miura-death-berserk/#click=https://t.co/VTPQhZg7pP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wow. I saw the quick note last night about a fake post and now there are 200+ and thought, "Maybe they are announcing the next chapter and plan for the remainder of the year". Like many who have been reading for the past fifteen years, I have reread and caught up multiple times but slowed down recently. It seemed like there was a pause but I was anticipating that Miura was just building up the remaining pieces in his mind and we'd be seeing a flurry of passionate activity soon.

But now.

Guts will never know that Griffith is better than he was on the hill of swords, and Griffith will never know that Guts followed through on his own dream with Casca.

:(