Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

zoux posted:

It bothers me sometimes how much the Romani get overlooked as Holocaust victims. As many as half of the total European Roma population died at the hands of Nazis, but most people have no idea. I suspect part of it is that it might make modern Europeans examine their own views on the Roma people.

It's not really just them that get overlooked. Really, every group that isn't Jewish does, half of Holocaust victims were something else.

Not that Europe isn't horrifically racist against the Roma. Or for that matter, other itinerant groups.

Oh well, at least we're not having a Romani state in India or whatever ethnically cleansing some other group and U.S. and Germany hand-wringing about it :shrug: every...every cloud and all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kinda weird a bunch of y'all had no opinions on the Israeli massacre while it was happening and Biden was publicly repeating Likud propaganda but as soon as his administration takes credit for it, it suddenly becomes worthy of discussion

If Biden's private diplomacy really had the power to force Netanyahu to behave, maybe he should've worked his magic before Israel crippled what little ability Palestine had to contain covid via assassinating doctors and bombing clinics

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

Columbus, Ohio is the same way. Massive progressive blue city in a Red Wasteland.
Can confirm. Short North is a section of town that used to be a dead zone between downtown and THE Ohio State University until a bunch of gay people moved in and made it fabulous. Now it's full of art galleries and pride parades.

Neurolimal posted:

The opposition in Israel is a very fragile alliance of every non-bibi party, from the super right-wingers to the arabs to the centrists (keep in mind these are on the Israel scale of things, so the centrists are chuds and the RWers are very close to goose-stepping).

They were very close to a compromise government to get Netanyahu out, then woopsie-doodle, the police just happened to shoot up one of the holiest mosques in the world, triggering race riots and the conflict.

Arab parties have never been a part of a government coalition, and certainly wont be when the uppity arabs are protesting and striking, so coalition talks collapsed. So now there will be yet another round of elections, but Bibi will have some improved polling from murdering so many kids (72% of israelis wanted him to keep bombing the strip, 24% dont, arabs make up 20% of the population and werent going to vote for him).

At this point, there's no real benefit to keeping the conflict going, he gets a polling bump, he breaks the coalition...and he gets to ease some ruffles by giving Biden a nice press conference in ten minutes, declaring Passive Diplomacy a success.

I think this is the most accurate take. Bibi shatters the opposition and protects his right flank by being tough on Palestine, ensuring he stays PM and can keep dodging corruption charges.

Biden may or may not have been leaning on him but doubt things would play out much differently either way.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kalit posted:

Maybe you should actually read the article :rolleyes: If that rumor you previously listed from the article is true, Biden apparently thought it would be more effective to pressure Netanyahu himself and not through the UN Security Council. And it worked.

Vorik posted:

Yeah it's pretty obvious that Biden has been putting pressure on Israel in the background while publicly taking a more moderate approach. The fact that Bibi immediately came out with that announcement after Biden called him up, and then the almost immediate ceasefire agreement afterward makes it pretty obvious that Bibi was just trying to publicly save face while in reality they had to back off due to pressure from the US. It's a very shrewd tactic. Classic Biden.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

The "soft diplomacy" bullshit has been getting floated for days. Israel was going to stop the bombing sooner or later because Bibi has already maxed out his political advantage from killing Palestinian children, and bombs are expensive.

You may as well give credit to a guy who yells at the clouds every morning for rain any time you feel a light drizzle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Sean posted:

US blocked a ceasefire agreement = US supports a ceasefire, gotcha. Makes complete sense.

I'm not particularly happy with how the administration has conducted things and personally think a ceasefire is woefully inadequate at this point, but I feel like we probably shouldn't be conflating "unenforceable UN Resolutions asking Israel to please accept a ceasefire" with "actual ceasefire agreements."

I mean UN Resolutions are famous for essentially just being sternly worded letters, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The last Palestinian Israeli hot conflict went for 50 days, this one went for 10. Anyway you guys are asserting this “diplomacy did nothing” thing with zero evidence, so we’ll have to see what reporting turns up in the upcoming days and weeks. I imagine it’ll be something one way or the other.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Inferior Third Season posted:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

The "soft diplomacy" bullshit has been getting floated for days. Israel was going to stop the bombing sooner or later because Bibi has already maxed out his political advantage from killing Palestinian children, and bombs are expensive.

You may as well give credit to a guy who yells at the clouds every morning for rain any time you feel a light drizzle.

I came to my conclusion from the timeline thus far, and the actions of the countries in question. I trust those facts over some guy yelling on the internet that it totally wasn't the diplomatic powers of the most powerful country on earth.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

zoux posted:

The last Palestinian Israeli hot conflict went for 50 days, this one went for 10.
The power differential has been growing with time. Israel can now deliver a knockout punch in ten seconds when it used to take the entire first round. The question is how long do they want to continue beating the unconscious body lying on the mat before they get tired and bored.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm not particularly happy with how the administration has conducted things and personally think a ceasefire is woefully inadequate at this point, but I feel like we probably shouldn't be conflating "unenforceable UN Resolutions asking Israel to please accept a ceasefire" with "actual ceasefire agreements."

I mean UN Resolutions are famous for essentially just being sternly worded letters, right?
I remember the whole Kofi Annan episode with Syria in 2011, yes.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Kirios posted:

Dang say what you will about the man, Biden is a hell of a politician. Putting up a facade of supporting Isreal (which I don't love, but is the US's official stance) while being very harsh on them backstage is something that Trump could have never done with the sophistication that Biden did.

Stopping another episode in the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians by providing tacit legal cover, diplomatic cover, media censorship, billions in direct munitions used for the massacre and restricting Americans' right to free speech sure is a fine line to walk. Thank you president Biden!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Kinda weird a bunch of y'all had no opinions on the Israeli massacre while it was happening and Biden was publicly repeating Likud propaganda but as soon as his administration takes credit for it, it suddenly becomes worthy of discussion

I think you might have wandered into the wrong thread.

Or you're just making up things because you're frustrated and want people to directly rail against.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

I think you might have wandered into the wrong thread.

Or you're just making up things because you're frustrated and want people to directly rail against.

I mean you can click the question mark button of the people cheering about this diplomatic masterstroke if you want and see for yourself. I am not talking about you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zoux posted:

The last Palestinian Israeli hot conflict went for 50 days, this one went for 10. Anyway you guys are asserting this “diplomacy did nothing” thing with zero evidence, so we’ll have to see what reporting turns up in the upcoming days and weeks. I imagine it’ll be something one way or the other.

You have just as much evidence that Biden's private diplomacy actually did anything, and that seems to me to be the positive assertion. I don't have to prove that the emperor doesn't make the sun rise in the morning.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

You have just as much evidence that Biden's private diplomacy actually did anything, and that seems to me to be the positive assertion. I don't have to prove that the emperor doesn't make the sun rise in the morning.

I have reporting asserting it. You have "nuh uh". But I don't think that there's any evidence that would convince those who don't want to be convinced.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's an interesting article on Biden's background with Israel. https://www.vox.com/22442000/biden-israel-gaza-hamas-history-policy

Based on that and everything we've seen so far, it's clear he's not going to be super hard on them, but it seems like he has his limits too, e.g. like when they started settlements.

The private diplomacy makes sense IMO, the UN resolutions are worthless anyway so that's how I'd approach it too. Of course whether or not this actually happened or Bibi is just satisfied with the number of dead civilians, that's another matter.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, let's not try at all and give up from the start. You're right.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

There's plenty of evidence. The timeline of events, the reports on communications and the actions of Israel directly after Biden pressured them. Also the entire modern history of the United States as the world leader and forefront power in diplomatic relations. Your argument (and the others also claiming it) is basically "Because I said so." If you want to convince people that Biden's pressure had absolutely no effect then come up with some hard evidence otherwise you're just an old man yelling at the clouds.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

zoux posted:

I have reporting asserting it. You have "nuh uh". But I don't think that there's any evidence that would convince those who don't want to be convinced.

Where do you think the reporting came from? Do you think Bibi told them that?

e: phone posting

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 21, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm persuadable. If there's good reporting that Biden didn't do poo poo actually and Bibi quit because he felt like it, fine. I've already allowed for as much. But I'm not going to dismiss stuff out of hand because it disagrees with my priors like some Fox News grandpa.

Also there's no rush to declare that, aha, once again Biden is a Hitler. Wait a week and we'll have a better picture of the presidents hitlerness.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I mean you can click the question mark button of the people cheering about this diplomatic masterstroke if you want and see for yourself. I am not talking about you

You didn't quote anybody in your post and you said "a bunch of y'all" as if people deciding that USPOL was full of "the posters who disagree with my obviously good take" isn't a daily occurance.

If you meant one person, quote them. If you meant "a bunch of the thread" then show that it was a bunch of the thread.

zoux posted:

I'm persuadable. If there's good reporting that Biden didn't do poo poo actually and Bibi quit because he felt like it, fine. But I'm not going to dismiss stuff out of hand because it disagrees with my priors.

Biden's admin blocked a ceasefire resolution 5 times in a row.

I mean it's possible that he was doing that so he could broker one on his terms but there's no evidence and that doesn't at all appear to be what happened. It looks like Egypt did it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Would a UN cease fire resolution have led to a cease fire, do you think

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zoux posted:

You have reporting of the White House's assertions, not an actual causal link.

Vorik posted:

There's plenty of evidence. The timeline of events, the reports on communications and the actions of Israel directly after Biden pressured them. Also the entire modern history of the United States as the world leader and forefront power in diplomatic relations. Your argument (and the others also claiming it) is basically "Because I said so." If you want to convince people that Biden's pressure had absolutely no effect then come up with some hard evidence otherwise you're just an old man yelling at the clouds.

The timeline could be entirely coincidental. And I'm not trying to prove that Biden had absolutely no effect - I never said that. I'm just rejecting the assertion that it definitely did.

zoux posted:

I'm persuadable. If there's good reporting that Biden didn't do poo poo actually and Bibi quit because he felt like it, fine. I've already allowed for as much. But I'm not going to dismiss stuff out of hand because it disagrees with my priors like some Fox News grandpa.

Don't be an rear end. This is completely unfalsifiable and you know it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

i wouldnt be shocked if it was a bunch of poo poo. Bibi feeling he murdered enough people to keep power until he dies or needs another polling boost, mix with behind the scenes from State department and biden probably, mixed with the palastian workers strike and other domestic issues. i do think biden and co did poo poo behind the scenes but i still think his view of the horror show is loving bad but a plurality of the US holds similar views so thats hosed.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 21, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

zoux posted:

Would a UN cease fire resolution have led to a cease fire, do you think

I dunno maybe let one pass and find out

Or are you going with "saying he supported a ceasefire out loud would jeopardize the ceasefire i'm claiming he wanted" because dude

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

haveblue posted:

I think you're going to have to decide whether you count only intentional, knowing racism stemming from hate in the heart (mens reacism) or unconscious, unintentional racism stemming from being brought up in a systemically racist society, because that's the difference between a fairly small number that's gone down a lot over time and literally everyone, everywhere, for the foreseeable future. There isn't really anything in between.

I didn't see this get much of a response, so I want you to know that I laughed out loud at "mens reacism" and will be adding it to my lexicon.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

You didn't quote anybody in your post and you said "a bunch of y'all" as if people deciding that USPOL was full of "the posters who disagree with my obviously good take" isn't a daily occurance.

If you meant one person, quote them. If you meant "a bunch of the thread" then show that it was a bunch of the thread.

Biden's admin blocked a ceasefire resolution 5 times in a row.

I mean it's possible that he was doing that so he could broker one on his terms but there's no evidence and that doesn't at all appear to be what happened. It looks like Egypt did it.

quote:

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said his security cabinet had voted unanimously in favour of a "mutual and unconditional" Gaza truce proposed by Egypt, but added that the hour of implementation had yet to be agreed.

Hamas and Egypt said the truce would begin at 2 a.m. (2300 GMT Thursday), after 11 days of Israeli-Palestinian hostilities.

quote:

Amid growing global alarm at the bloodshed, Biden had urged Netanyahu to seek de-escalation, while Egypt, Qatar and the United Nations sought to mediate.

Yeah, looks like Reuters is reporting it was Egypt who spearheaded the cease fire.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/hamas-official-predicts-ceasefire-soon-israel-gaza-fight-goes-2021-05-19/

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

That's 100% gonna get me probed for posting about posters. Even being vague I still might get probed anyway

All I can really say is that I checked several just to make sure I wasn't being crazy, and you specifically were not one of them since you have both posted about it here and elsewhere and expressed decent takes on it

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Grammarchist posted:

Project Veritas is going to come up with audio of Joe telling Bibi "Listen here, Fat" while threatening to cut off arms sales and it'll be all we ever hear about from the media for the rest of his term.

God I wish.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Sean posted:

Yeah, let's not try at all and give up from the start. You're right.

Not even remotely what I said

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Kirios posted:

Dang say what you will about the man, Biden is a hell of a politician. Putting up a facade of supporting Isreal (which I don't love, but is the US's official stance) while being very harsh on them backstage is something that Trump could have never done with the sophistication that Biden did.

and he managed to pull off a 735 million dollar arms sale to Israel at the same time! now that's a heckin epic win!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

romanowski posted:

and he managed to pull off a 735 million dollar arms sale to Israel at the same time! now that's a heckin epic win!

The arms deal occurred earlier.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Blastedhellscape posted:

Growing up in the 90's I remember lots of movies and other media where it was hammered in that big city crime was out of control and only getting worse, and if you stepped down the wrong alley you would instantly get accosted and mugged. poo poo like Falling Down, the beginning of Demolition Man, and all the bad knockoffs of Boyz n the Hood, not to mention stuff going back earlier like the Death Wish and Dirty Harry movies.

I think all that stuff is deeply ingrained in a lot of people's minds; they have this cartoonish view of what cities are like, and even if violent crime rate statistics continue to plummet in the real world they'll go on having that view of cities until the day they die.

It's really hard to overstate how pervasive this sort of idea was and, I think, how much it impacted the Baby Boomer outlook in general, not just people in small towns. Everybody knew that crime was utterly out of control and was only ever going to get worse. "black culture" and Welfare were widely held to be the leading causes. And this wasn't just some passing talking points, they were the foundational beliefs of a lot of people who came of political age during the era. Telling them that crime has been going down for decades is like telling them that gravity stopped working.

It's not directly related to crime but look at how many sitcoms had theme songs were the essential message was "Everything is getting worse but at least we have this family/bar/whatever." That poo poo got ground in deep.

gudetama
Apr 1, 2021

Vorik posted:

Yeah it's pretty obvious that Biden has been putting pressure on Israel in the background while publicly taking a more moderate approach. The fact that Bibi immediately came out with that announcement after Biden called him up, and then the almost immediate ceasefire agreement afterward makes it pretty obvious that Bibi was just trying to publicly save face while in reality they had to back off due to pressure from the US. It's a very shrewd tactic. Classic Biden.

This doesn’t belong in USnews, maybe make a thread for USfanfic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1395542729715634179

Has the AP always been run by cowards? Is Zeke Miller calling the shots right now? They just lost their exec. editor to the Washington Post so afaik they're in the middle of a search for a new one, so I want to know at what level this decision was made. The same rag that ran that absurd AOC parking story got a hold of this and then

That statement by Cotton is unreal.

Wilder will land on her feet, outlets are going to be falling over themselves to right this wrong, and in the end this will probably be great for her career - but still, Jesus loving Christ, it should have never happened the AP should've laughed the Free Beacon out of the room. They just had their goddamn offices bombed into nothing by the IDF, and unbelievable assault on the press and almost certainly to obfuscate reporting of the horrors on the ground. Now they're rolling over for that side, humiliating their organization and just pissing me the gently caress off. I think the press can be real whiny about access and they love to get up on the cross at the easiest opportunity but treating a reporter like this is outrageous. Your editor is supposed to have your back.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
House dems, in a surprising show of discipline, voted down a republican's motion to replenish the Iron Dome. Apparently Biden pledged to do it anyways, either before or after the vote. Does Biden have the ability to widen the money spigot independent of congress?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Your editor is supposed to have your back.

Since when is the boss not the enemy?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1395542729715634179

Has the AP always been run by cowards? Is Zeke Miller calling the shots right now? They just lost their exec. editor to the Washington Post so afaik they're in the middle of a search for a new one, so I want to know at what level this decision was made. The same rag that ran that absurd AOC parking story got a hold of this and then

That statement by Cotton is unreal.

Wilder will land on her feet, outlets are going to be falling over themselves to right this wrong, and in the end this will probably be great for her career - but still, Jesus loving Christ, it should have never happened the AP should've laughed the Free Beacon out of the room. They just had their goddamn offices bombed into nothing by the IDF, and unbelievable assault on the press and almost certainly to obfuscate reporting of the horrors on the ground. Now they're rolling over for that side, humiliating their organization and just pissing me the gently caress off. I think the press can be real whiny about access and they love to get up on the cross at the easiest opportunity but treating a reporter like this is outrageous. Your editor is supposed to have your back.

"Cancel culture" for me, but not for thee.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kirios posted:

Yeah blocking multiple ceasefire resolutions at the UN and selling Israel more weapons, what a great guy!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

That's 100% gonna get me probed for posting about posters. Even being vague I still might get probed anyway

All I can really say is that I checked several just to make sure I wasn't being crazy, and you specifically were not one of them since you have both posted about it here and elsewhere and expressed decent takes on it

Stop. Argue with specific posters, not "the thread".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

AP got bodycam footage of Louisiana cops executing Ronald Greene in 2019. It's hard to watch.

https://apnews.com/article/ronald-greene-death-louisiana-eca021d8a54ec73598dd72b269826f7a

IK Edit: the video does not autoplay, it's a ways down the page, and it is really, really bad. It's a guy being tortured and killed by the police while begging for his life

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 21, 2021