Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Had a guy doing 230knots 950ft agl the other day 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zero One posted:

But I’m in a congested area! Look at the sectional, buddy! My house is yellow! 1000 feet or greater!

Um I'm pretty sure the FAA doesn't actually define "congested area" anywhere so he's got an ironclad defense :pseudo:

It's kinda funny to me how bad people are at estimating how low planes are actually flying. A year or two ago a pair of F/A-18s flew over Oakland and Berkeley at about 4000 feet and every cop shop and airport and news station in the area got reports of fighter jets flying FIFTY FEET ABOVE MY ROOF BUZZING MY HOUSE

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 20, 2021

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I moved to the greater Salt Lake area a few months ago and it is awesome for plane spotting. Hill Airforce Base is nearby and every day I'm seeing C130's, formations of Apaches, Chinooks, and more.

There's a regional airport about 5 miles north of me and I've seen an F-35 doing touch and goes. The Apache usually circles my neighborhood at like 1500 AGL at about 7pm every night.

It rules. If you look at the reviews for the regional strip it's all people complaining about the military doing night ops out of there and it's like "Yo this airfield has been here since 1950 you jabronis."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Um I'm pretty sure the FAA doesn't actually define "congested area" anywhere so he's got an ironclad defense :pseudo:

It's kinda funny to me how bad people are at estimating how low planes are actually flying. A year or two ago a pair of F/A-18s flew over Oakland and Berkeley at about 4000 feet and every cop shop and airport and news station in the area got reports of fighter jets flying FIFTY FEET ABOVE MY ROOF BUZZING MY HOUSE

People are almost physically incapable of estimating heights taller than a person, ask some of your friends to guess how tall random trees are sometime if you have a way to measure them later. We're just fundamentally wired for a 2.5D universe.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

People are almost physically incapable of estimating heights taller than a person, ask some of your friends to guess how tall random trees are sometime if you have a way to measure them later. We're just fundamentally wired for a 2.5D universe.

It's that and also modern fighter jets are loving huge

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
our eyes are not far enough apart to be any good at distance estimates beyond a few hundred feet or something. it was a big issue with naval warfare before range finders were invented.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

rscott posted:

It's that and also modern fighter jets are loving huge

and also loving loud, compared to modern airliners

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
MD-80s would like a word

Wait you said modern, nevermind

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

It's also that if you look at something in the sky you have zero cues for distance. So seeing a plane feels much closer than it is, because you only tend to get an unobstructed view of something if you're really close

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Lord Stimperor posted:

It's also that if you look at something in the sky you have zero cues for distance. So seeing a plane feels much closer than it is, because you only tend to get an unobstructed view of something if you're really close

"Hello, I'd like to report a low-flying grey orb."

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

BobHoward posted:

and also loving loud, compared to modern airliners

I live right near DCA and the difference between airliners taking off and the occasional Arlington Cemetery fighter flyover is staggering.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Even older turbofans are fantastically quieter than turbojets.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

e.pilot posted:

Even older turbofans are fantastically quieter than turbojets.

What in the current inventory, besides T-38s, still uses turbojets?

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
I am curious about airliner controls.

Boeing uses ye olde yoke, much as they have been since the beginning of the jet age.
737NG
747-100

Airbus has been using sidesticks since the A320 was introduced in the late 1980s.
A350
A380
A320
A310

Bombardier used yokes for a while, then the C-Series went to sidesticks, and also to Airbus.
C-Series A220
Dash 8

Embraer takes a cue from Concorde and goes with a handlebar thing.
ERJ-190
ERJ-145
Concorde

Russian jets used to have yokes, but some of the newer offerings have gone to handlebars and then most recently sidesticks.
Il-62 - has an extra wheel on the pilot's side, perhaps for nose wheel steering?
Tu-154
Tu-144 - my favorite, since it looks like you could use the yoke as an SNES controller
Il-86 - yoke looks like football goalposts
Il-96 - no ceiling fan! But still plenty of ventilation so you know it's Russian
Tu-204 - handlebars
Superjet - sidesticks

So, it seems like sidesticks are becoming increasingly dominant. For those who've actually flown these things, is there much to differentiate the styles? Does it just come down to personal preferences? I've always wondered about whether sidesticks can be a challenge when going from the right seat to the left seat and having to use a different hand for the controls. Is it just something you get used to? And any ideas about why the handlebar style is a thing?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
You use a different hand going from right to left seat anyhow, because the thrust levers are still in the middle.

Boeing is all yokes
Airbus is all side stick

Really the differences are pretty negligible, the most meaningful difference is side stick allows for a tray table to eat off of.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't forget that before the yoke lost its top and bottom, it was a control wheel:

(Ford Trimotor)

And there's also the...I don't know what to call this, exactly, but it's also in that transition from wheels to yokes:

(Cessna 140)

and within GA there are occasional weird controls like the Cirrus side-yoke-thing, which rotates around its base like a stick but pushes straight in and out like a yoke:

(Cirrus SR22, and the Cessna 162 has something kind of similar)

Most pilots, regardless of handedness, learn to fly with their left hand anyway though because they're in the left seat of a Cessna and they have a center-mounted throttle. It didn't take me long to get used to; if you've driven a standard transmission car you already are used to steering with your left hand and moving a lever with the right.

Re. handlebar style my guess is that either (1) it's meant to try and give more clearance for the pilot's knees, or (2) the designers thought it looked rad.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 21, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah Airbus seems nicer for a legroom / pilot comfort perspective but I don't have any personal experience with sidesticks in real life.

Edit: Ahh the Cirrus. I still regret missing out on trying that one my flight school had.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does side sticks not providing feedback about the input from the other one worry you?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I am curious about airliner controls.

So, it seems like sidesticks are becoming increasingly dominant. For those who've actually flown these things, is there much to differentiate the styles? Does it just come down to personal preferences? I've always wondered about whether sidesticks can be a challenge when going from the right seat to the left seat and having to use a different hand for the controls. Is it just something you get used to? And any ideas about why the handlebar style is a thing?

I fly a Falcon 7X and had some misgivings heading to initial training for it 11 years ago - especially coming directly from the 737. Within 10 minutes it was like I'd been flying with a sidestick my whole career. It really is that intuitive.

hobbesmaster posted:

Does side sticks not providing feedback about the input from the other one worry you?

I have never once in more than 3500 hours flying the 7X missed having tactile feedback from the other guy's stick (he he). If you can't maintain positional awareness from the voluminous amount of information displayed you should go fly drones or something.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Sagebrush posted:

(Cessna 140)

Ah, the age when cars looked like airplanes and airplanes looked like cars

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

There's still a very noticeable difference in sound between any commercial airliner, and F16s.

e.pilot posted:

the most meaningful difference is side stick allows for a tray table to eat off of.

Seems problematic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there any difficulty telling when the SR22 stick is in the neutral position?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have not flown an SR22 specifically, but in an aircraft with mechanical control linkages, the yoke/stick will automatically return to its neutral position through aerodynamic forces on the control surfaces. You don't have to worry about finding a specific spot. Let go of the controls: that's neutral.

(the pitch neutral position also changes based on your trim state, so having a specific center point doesn't make sense)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I have not flown an SR22 specifically, but in an aircraft with mechanical control linkages, the yoke/stick will automatically return to its neutral position through aerodynamic forces on the control surfaces. You don't have to worry about finding a specific spot. Let go of the controls: that's neutral.

(the pitch neutral position also changes based on your trim state, so having a specific center point doesn't make sense)

Many years ago playing IL-2, I didn't understand this. They had introduced more realistic feedback forces and I had an FFB joystick. But it was all limp before takeoff! Turn the centering forces up, way up. Turn everything way up. Ok, a little bit better, now try to take off....joystick immediately tries to shake itself free and escape the desk. The feature got panned on the forums, presumably because all the flight simming grown ups didn't understand this either. I wonder if it was actually pretty good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Beastie posted:

I moved to the greater Salt Lake area a few months ago and it is awesome for plane spotting. Hill Airforce Base is nearby and every day I'm seeing C130's, formations of Apaches, Chinooks, and more.

There's a regional airport about 5 miles north of me and I've seen an F-35 doing touch and goes. The Apache usually circles my neighborhood at like 1500 AGL at about 7pm every night.

It rules. If you look at the reviews for the regional strip it's all people complaining about the military doing night ops out of there and it's like "Yo this airfield has been here since 1950 you jabronis."

Go to the Hill Aerospace Museum.

Advent Horizon posted:

The TF33 (E-3, E-8, B-52, OC-135) is basically a turbojet with a couple of fans attached...

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 21, 2021

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Godholio posted:

The TF33 (E-3, E-8, B-52, OC-135) is basically a turbojet with a couple of fans attached...
You can drop the OC-135 from that list of active aircraft, they retired it. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Advent Horizon posted:

I suddenly remembered the WB-57 but ... :o:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

L. Ron Hubbard vindicated.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Platystemon posted:

L. Ron Hubbard vindicated.

I should get this joke, but I don't

weren't the planes carrying the nukes to the volcano with all the thingamajiggers that infest our bodies/souls silver DC-3s or something like that

or is it a different reference

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

standard.deviant posted:

You can drop the OC-135 from that list of active aircraft, they retired it. :(

We'll see if that lasts. The AF is slow-rolling the whole thing.

Edit: I forgot the WC-135 though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Godholio posted:

Go to the Hill Aerospace Museum.

Yes! I am planning on it soon. Because.......I need to go to Nevada.....to buy a thing that's not available here in Utah.

Edit: I got Hill confused with Wendover in Nevada, just over the border.

Doing both!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Beastie posted:

Yes! I am planning on it soon. Because.......I need to go to Nevada.....to buy a thing that's not available here in Utah.

Edit: I got Hill confused with Wendover in Nevada, just over the border.

Doing both!

Liquor, weed, or prostitutes?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Liquor, weed, or prostitutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdX5UDgQ8x0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BobHoward posted:

weren't the planes carrying the nukes to the volcano with all the thingamajiggers that infest our bodies/souls silver DC-3s or something like that

they were DC-8s, but with rocket engines instead of "propellers" according to L Ron. I don't know what level of irony or confusion we're on here but the DC-8 had J57s, true turbojet engines.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

they were DC-8s, but with rocket engines instead of "propellers" according to L Ron. I don't know what level of irony or confusion we're on here but the DC-8 had J57s, true turbojet engines.

His limited knowledge of airplanes informed his limited imagining of spaceships.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm at the airport and I can see an AN-124 tail but theres no way to get any closer to it without breaking a bunch of laws.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BobHoward posted:

Hubbard: Boxed them up in boxes, threw them into space planes. DC-8 airplane is the exact copy of the space plane of that day. No difference, except the DC-8 had fans, propellers on it, and the space plane didn't.

https://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Story?id=2664713

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
In "Who didn't see this coming?" news, Aerion has officially gone tits-up, after the whole "sell a bunch of supersonic business jets" business plan turned out to not be viable.

[url]CNBC: Aerion Supersonic shuts down, ending plans to build silent high speed business jets.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/21/aerion-supersonic-shuts-down-ending-plans-for-silent-business-jets.html[/url]

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

azflyboy posted:

In "Who didn't see this coming?" news, Aerion has officially gone tits-up, after the whole "sell a bunch of supersonic business jets" business plan turned out to not be viable.

[url]CNBC: Aerion Supersonic shuts down, ending plans to build silent high speed business jets.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/21/aerion-supersonic-shuts-down-ending-plans-for-silent-business-jets.html[/url]

So in the end was it a VC money drain scam or money laundering op or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Carth Dookie posted:

So in the end was it a VC money drain scam or money laundering op or both?

Yes