Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm curious about stuff like the texas rangers full stadium too. Was there any tracing of people.after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

el B posted:

Have these attended fights been considered super spreader events? Are we far enough away from the events to be able to trace new infections to them? I haven't seen any stories or reports, related to those worries, show up in my news feed so I'm genuinely curious.

I did see the UFC stuff get mentioned in news a few times for the Florida card but it was when it was happening, not in terms of studies after the fact, news cycle moves fast. My understanding is that it also generally coincided with spring break, so it being Florida, it's hard to isolate just the UFC card. To a lesser extent the Canelo fight being in Texas the previous week also helps distract attention from UFC in terms of media coverage.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ilmucche posted:

I'm curious about stuff like the texas rangers full stadium too. Was there any tracing of people.after that?

i live in a state with a republican governor. my wife, who tested positive for covid last week, works for the state dept. of public health as a nurse educator and tracer, was never even asked where she went in the past week. she was fully vaccinated in january because of her job. i got a call yesterday and i wasn't asked either (tested negative after the call, but still). nobody cares anymore. we're just gonna let it burn through the population at this point

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

blue footed boobie posted:

UFC 261 was in a full indoor stadium on April 24 and numbers have been falling consistently in Florida and across the country since then. Knock on wood, but it seems as though we may be back to the point where it’s okay to have attended sporting events again.

Is Florida the place where the governor had cops raid and point firearms at someone for refusing to fudge the numbers of covid deaths?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds like it could have also been in NY

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Marching Powder posted:

Is Florida the place where the governor had cops raid and point firearms at someone for refusing to fudge the numbers of covid deaths?

lol yeah

Mekchu posted:

That sounds like it could have also been in NY

hasn't yet but don't count it out

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

p. smart for the ufc to hold a super spreader event where it is state policy for the fallout from it to never be made public. gotta respect the hustle.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marching Powder posted:

p. smart for the ufc to hold a super spreader event where it is state policy for the fallout from it to never be made public. gotta respect the hustle.

Florida has underreported covid deaths by at least 30%.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Chandler breaking down the Oliveira fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra6L3ArLYAQ

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

As much as I wanted to hate on the guy for him being fast-tracked to the title fight right after signing with the UFC (tho he is definitely elite world class), Chandler has come across extremely well in all of these post-fight vids I've seen of him

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
he gasses up his opponents because he's in that place in his career

if he wins it's a great thing because he talked about how his opponent is so tough and overlooked
if he loses it's not bad and he deserves another shot because he talked about how his opponent was so tough and overlooked

cmon guys

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Tangy Zizzle posted:

he gasses up his opponents because he's in that place in his career

if he wins it's a great thing because he talked about how his opponent is so tough and overlooked
if he loses it's not bad and he deserves another shot because he talked about how his opponent was so tough and overlooked

cmon guys

Frankly, it's mind blowing that not more fighters are doing this. Everybody comes out looking good. Instead, it's a bunch of catty cheerleaders bitching about how no-one is good enough to fight them and tanking the fans' interest. Why should I pay to watch a fight with someone who apparently is poo poo? It would be easy enough to hype your opponents skills and still say that you hate his guts on a personal level, but all we get are a bunch of fighters who apparently don't want to fight anyone.

E: And of course you wouldn't look like a tool when you're cold cocked by the no-skilled bum who had no business sharing the cage with you.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 20, 2021

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

mma has always been about building a personal brand as much as it's been about fighting and that can be done in a thousand different ways for different markets and effects on their career, but they all somewhat revolve around remaining relevant in their division and reaching a certain level of success to be noticed.

if i were chandler i would lean more into friends (the sitcom) references and the crossover between mma and weed obsessed people and release a glass pipe in the shape of his face and call it the chandler bong, for example, but ingratiating yourself through being contrite about a loss and providing his perspective on events is another way, if a bit derivative of stephen thompson

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Freudian slippers posted:

Frankly, it's mind blowing that not more fighters are doing this. Everybody comes out looking good. Instead, it's a bunch of catty cheerleaders bitching about how no-one is good enough to fight them and tanking the fans' interest. Why should I pay to watch a fight with someone who apparently is poo poo? It would be easy enough to hype your opponents skills and still say that you hate his guts on a personal level, but all we get are a bunch of fighters who apparently don't want to fight anyone.

E: And of course you wouldn't look like a tool when you're cold cocked by the no-skilled bum who had no business sharing the cage with you.

The other side of the coin is that creating the appearance of a personal beef gets viewers, so it’s in a fighter’s interest to do that, too. But yeah instances like where Jones said Chael sucked and then predictably whooped his rear end don’t help anyone.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah I think you can kind of just apply the blanket statement of "a lot of guys just aren't good at talking". The central thing that pro wrestling tries to do is make everyone look good despite having to balance some guys winning and some guys losing, or make both guys look good despite the fact that sometimes one guy is way more charismatic than the other. And there's plenty of times where they gently caress it up and some wrestler looks like a total loser.

Another example, how many guys come in to the UFC in their early 20's and start talking about how their only goal is to win the title? Even if you win all your fights, you can be years away from a title shot, so you aren't giving people any reason to care about all the fights in the mean time, and if you say all you care about is the belt but you never even end up fighting for it during your career, what significance did any of your fights have?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

blue footed boobie posted:

The other side of the coin is that creating the appearance of a personal beef gets viewers, so it’s in a fighter’s interest to do that, too. But yeah instances like where Jones said Chael sucked and then predictably whooped his rear end don’t help anyone.

Sure, but as I said it's quite possible (even easy) to do both. The guy is a great fighter, look at who he's beaten, I'll be in for the fight of my life, but the reason I'm gonna win is because I hate his guts too much to lose, I've never trained harder for any fight, I'll beat his children's name out of his head blah, blah, blah.

It didn't use to be this bad, and I blame McGregor. For all his faults, he has charisma and he basically stole The Rock's condescending heel gimmick. A bunch of other fighters then tried to who the fook is that guy themselves into the main event, but without having an iota of McGregor's cocaine infused charisma and now we're stuck with a murder of mean girls hissing at the other contenders for the homecoming crown.

E:

Stealth Tiger posted:

Yeah I think you can kind of just apply the blanket statement of "a lot of guys just aren't good at talking". The central thing that pro wrestling tries to do is make everyone look good despite having to balance some guys winning and some guys losing, or make both guys look good despite the fact that sometimes one guy is way more charismatic than the other. And there's plenty of times where they gently caress it up and some wrestler looks like a total loser.

Another example, how many guys come in to the UFC in their early 20's and start talking about how their only goal is to win the title? Even if you win all your fights, you can be years away from a title shot, so you aren't giving people any reason to care about all the fights in the mean time, and if you say all you care about is the belt but you never even end up fighting for it during your career, what significance did any of your fights have?

Basically, I agree with all this, it's just that I think a lot of these guys could have been less bad if someone around them (say their managers for instance) rubbed two brain cells together on the issue. Like, hmm, maybe it wasn't the smartest idea to go all in on how poo poo the other guy is when he beat us in the first.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 20, 2021

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah the other half of it is the UFC just chasing guys who have "The it factor" , meaning all they do is give you a microphone and a reporter asks a bland boilerplate question and you are expected to come up with some response that is memorable and quotable and badass and funny and makes everyone want to see your fight. Japan had a few really obviously scripted conflicts between guys, and they looked like poo poo, but I am sure there is a middle ground where you give these fighters a little bit of coaching

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

UFC gonna bring in Vince Russo as a writer and consultant.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

tony ferguson may have lost a few steps inside the octagon but on the keyboard, this mfer still goes Hard. i recommend clicking for the picture

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPE63-0ht2B

“Current🚣‍♂️Mood” An Active Fighter Is What I Wanted To Be 🎓 This Is What I Enjoy Doing 💯 I’m Competing Regularly Again For The Fans & Supporters Instead Of Once A Year (No More Icing The🏈Kicker & Losing Shelf🤦‍♂️Life) Crew🍃 I Absolutely HATE losing, One Because I’m Better Than That & 2... Because 3Three3 MF’s !!! 💪😤🤚 The Game Has Changed & My Athleticism Recognizes What Needs To Happen 🎓 Beyond🥇Hungrier Than A 155lb Weight Cut. 📈 Washed🧼Up... Slightly, We’re Cleaning Up My Game Better & Better Mi🌵Gente. Taking Longer Than I Wanted, But Hey Anything Can Happen In Snap Down City!!! 📝 Don’t Count Me Out, We’re Still Growing 🌱These Guys Don’t Want To Go Toe-2-Toe ⚔️🕶 I Wouldn’t Either 💪😎 Congrats To Chuck & Benny On Their Much Deserved Victories, Alley-Oop MF’s ⚔️🕶 -CSO- 🇺🇸🏆🇲🇽 # IfYouAintFirstYou’reLast # ChewBigRed Tele🚣‍♂️Dega Fights: The Ballad Of T-Ferg 🕴# WingWednesday 🎶 Fuckin’-A 🥋

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Freudian slippers posted:

It didn't use to be this bad, and I blame McGregor. For all his faults, he has charisma and he basically stole The Rock's condescending heel gimmick.

I mean, chael sonnen

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I'm thinking about it now, and I 100% believe Chael Sonnen's gimmick wouldn't have worked if he won even one single big fight. The fact that he always got his comeuppance is what made it work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Stealth Tiger posted:

Yeah the other half of it is the UFC just chasing guys who have "The it factor" , meaning all they do is give you a microphone and a reporter asks a bland boilerplate question and you are expected to come up with some response that is memorable and quotable and badass and funny and makes everyone want to see your fight.

They do try, but they also pour money into obvious duds (on the mic, at least) like Sage.

Aye Doc posted:

Talle🚣‍♂️Dega Fights: The Ballad Of T-Ferg

Tony is nothing if not unorthodox, Joe.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Some pleasantly surprising news, looks like Diego Sanchez cut ties with Fabia. For some reason I figured that toxic moron would be sticking around for a while, glad I'm wrong.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Seems like enough fighters publicly said "I love Diego, shame about that idiot he's with" that it got through, good.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

How many fighters have Brian Wilson'd themselves in the UFC like this? I can think of Conor McGregor with the GTA5 yogi "movement coach," but he still won fights working with him so his decline seems to be more about fighting bigger, better opponents while doing cocaine and sex crimes. A lot of people also pissed away money on Mike Dolce but I trust his weight cutting advice was servicable, just sourced from youtube videos and sold by an idiot. I feel like there are too many sad stories in MMA for Diego's situation to be unique unfortunately, so surely there are others.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

How many fighters have Brian Wilson'd themselves in the UFC like this? I can think of Conor McGregor with the GTA5 yogi "movement coach," but he still won fights working with him so his decline seems to be more about fighting bigger, better opponents while doing cocaine and sex crimes. A lot of people also pissed away money on Mike Dolce but I trust his weight cutting advice was servicable, just sourced from youtube videos and sold by an idiot. I feel like there are too many sad stories in MMA for Diego's situation to be unique unfortunately, so surely there are others.

What's incredible about Diego is this isn't the first insane grifter he hitched his wagon to. He had a run with Dan "Saint of Stevia" Quinn for a stretch because he was convinced a sugar substitute "melted" a tumor in his girlfriend's breast

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
The Ballad of T-Ferg is so good.

That was a mostly self aware post. I am proud. Did we ever learn if his ligaments were torn?

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

Edmund Tarverdyan convincing Ronda Rousey that she was a top level striker did her no favors

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The only other example that comes to mind for me is that weird-rear end witch doctor guy that was in GSP's crew (or was he part of Jackson-Winklejohn?), but that was while Georges was one of the best fighters of all time so... :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johny Hendricks and the Mcdonalds manager

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

tony ferguson going on a skid after deciding his head coach should be the guy who thought someone was hiding in his walls

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Bluedeanie posted:

How many fighters have Brian Wilson'd themselves in the UFC like this? I can think of Conor McGregor with the GTA5 yogi "movement coach”.

“Touch-butt in the park”.
Thanks for reminding me of that excellent Diazism.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kragger99 posted:

“Touch-butt in the park”.
Thanks for reminding me of that excellent Diazism.

conor's movement coach was absolutely a placebo at best, but nobody had really thought of a good way to own him on the subject while he was on an insane run of dominant wins. nathan takes one look at that poo poo, said the first thing that came to his mind, and we never heard of anyone using a movement coach ever again.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Anderson giving props to Steven Seagal for teaching him the front kick :lmao:

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Aye Doc posted:

tony ferguson may have lost a few steps inside the octagon but on the keyboard, this mfer still goes Hard. i recommend clicking for the picture

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPE63-0ht2B

“Current🚣‍♂️Mood” An Active Fighter Is What I Wanted To Be 🎓 This Is What I Enjoy Doing 💯 I’m Competing Regularly Again For The Fans & Supporters Instead Of Once A Year (No More Icing The🏈Kicker & Losing Shelf🤦‍♂️Life) Crew🍃 I Absolutely HATE losing, One Because I’m Better Than That & 2... Because 3Three3 MF’s !!! 💪😤🤚 The Game Has Changed & My Athleticism Recognizes What Needs To Happen 🎓 Beyond🥇Hungrier Than A 155lb Weight Cut. 📈 Washed🧼Up... Slightly, We’re Cleaning Up My Game Better & Better Mi🌵Gente. Taking Longer Than I Wanted, But Hey Anything Can Happen In Snap Down City!!! 📝 Don’t Count Me Out, We’re Still Growing 🌱These Guys Don’t Want To Go Toe-2-Toe ⚔️🕶 I Wouldn’t Either 💪😎 Congrats To Chuck & Benny On Their Much Deserved Victories, Alley-Oop MF’s ⚔️🕶 -CSO- 🇺🇸🏆🇲🇽 # IfYouAintFirstYou’reLast # ChewBigRed Tele🚣‍♂️Dega Fights: The Ballad Of T-Ferg 🕴# WingWednesday 🎶 Fuckin’-A 🥋

The only word not capitalized is "losing"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This moment was peak UFC

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
“Any power of attorney that Fabia had has been rescinded/terminated,” Lakins said.

Haha what the gently caress that can't be normal

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Segal getting lip service from Machida and Silva was hilarious but less a Diego level "mentally ill guy getting his career waylaid by a malicious quack" and more just a hilarious thing that happened

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

“Any power of attorney that Fabia had has been rescinded/terminated,” Lakins said.

Haha what the gently caress that can't be normal

Jesus he gave him power of attorney?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

I'm thinking about it now, and I 100% believe Chael Sonnen's gimmick wouldn't have worked if he won even one single big fight. The fact that he always got his comeuppance is what made it work.

He also knew when to take the mask off. Right after Leben knocked out Wanderlei, like, immediately after, Helwani ran up to him, hoping for a soundbite on how bad Wanderlei is in continuation of chael talking about how bad Wanderlei was and is. Instead, he just shook his head in disbelief, talking about how he hoped Wanderlei was alright and that this was a very tough sport to grow older in. He even managed to sound genuinely worried. Whether or not it was real or something he'd worked out already, he knew when to drop/shift the act.

Bluedeanie posted:

Didn't Dolce's trick turn out to be steroids and sitting next to them slapping pizza slices out of their hands?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That was more a joke that everyone was in on except Steven Seagal, which is a very good summary of Steven Seagal.

chaleski posted:

The only other example that comes to mind for me is that weird-rear end witch doctor guy that was in GSP's crew (or was he part of Jackson-Winklejohn?), but that was while Georges was one of the best fighters of all time so... :shrug:

wait, what?