Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
And in other news a massive clan-led push into Deadlands today has resulted in a good chunk of the north side of the zone going blue or white. A tank battle just to the east of Irons End took about 5 minutes to finish with the Colonials getting curb-stomped and :huh:'ed because they went 95% vehicles/5% infantry mix :lol: and got swarmed like you would not believe by infantry armed with every form of handheld AT in the Warden inventory. Expect video of this one to show up some time in the future probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol on the flipside a few of us were on last night helping out a tank push through Stonecradle. After maybe an hour we stopped and were just "wait the whole hex is blue?"

Then we died in a glorious and stupid push into Oarbreaker, but it was probably time for that tank push to end. Things were getting kinda drunk and sloppy with tankers shooting each other for fun, and/or having dance parties in the street.

The funniest part was when Aresha exploded a trench some dude was trying to dig by driving the tank through it. Then his friend came up to the tank to complain, so DrCaptain shot him with the 40.

Oh also getting flanked by Collie tanks but somehow surviving with 1% health.

Also we captured a Spatha, but there was a Collie Lt Gen or something still in it, so cue a mad scramble to get enough gas grenades to clear them out.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Aertuun posted:

Chose the Colonial side as they seem to be winning and I like winning.

How's this working out for you?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You’re all welcome for me actually logging in for once.

I’m taking credit for this massive reversal.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Wonderful, they're the unsung hero that you needed, when enemy needed fuel for their tanks, they were there driving the tanker in the opposite direction.
When the enemy needed ammo to feed their guns, they were there losing truck after truck full of crates to a small partisan group.
When the enemy needed BMATs to build their war machines, they were there hoarding it all in his own private bunker.
When the enemy was overtaking you in vital logistics, they were there in a stuck barge under the bridge disrupting the whole network.

This entire war was orchestrated by the invisible hand of one person. You should be thanking them. You're welcome.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
It was a good plan. Infiltrate enemy lines. Hose down their logi with machine gun fire. Block the road with a crane.

They thought he was dead with his truck, but he was thirsty for revenge. His weapons: A pistol, one mag, and furious fists.

COMING THIS FALL: LOGI DRIVER.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

So far it's been a blast. It was quite fun seeing our logistics at work retaking Endless Shore yesterday (before inevitably losing it overnight of course). What started as a wrecked hamlet was transformed into a sprawling metropolis of defences in a frantic flurry of construction equipment.

The placement of a lot of things seemed quite... improvised... so I'm sure there was someone somewhere screaming into their keyboard, but it was quite fun to see it fly up in a series of respawns.

The main issue I'm having is not being able to judge what a "good" steal counts as. If I steal a diesel truck with 100 diesel, is that good? Or a logi truck with 1400 bmats? As I haven't done logistics yet I don't know how long any of that takes to produce.

My most crushing disappointment so far has been mining a road and waiting in ambush only to see the coming logistics truck whistle past straight over them. I think he honked as he went into the distance.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Aresha exploded a trench some dude was trying to dig by driving the tank through it. Then his friend came up to the tank to complain, so DrCaptain shot him with the 40.

That's a bit mean.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

To play devils advocate to be fair and not put off any goons playing Colonial who think we're jerks (COME FIGHT WITH US NEXT WAR) I just want to point out as a faction this way we've had many clown shoes moments this campaign. We have also been caught with our pants down neglecting our defenses for THE GREAT ADVANCE THAT WILL WIN THE WAR muliple times these past wars.

But yeah I see we've yo-yo'd back to our previous positions because we over stretched our supplies. I am guessing we're all going to busy with logistics tonight.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The whole west side of the map is dramatically improved compared to when I jumped in earlier this week and Oarbreaker was completely cut off from logistics. I thought it was all over.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Aertuun posted:

So far it's been a blast. It was quite fun seeing our logistics at work retaking Endless Shore yesterday (before inevitably losing it overnight of course). What started as a wrecked hamlet was transformed into a sprawling metropolis of defences in a frantic flurry of construction equipment.

The placement of a lot of things seemed quite... improvised... so I'm sure there was someone somewhere screaming into their keyboard, but it was quite fun to see it fly up in a series of respawns.

The main issue I'm having is not being able to judge what a "good" steal counts as. If I steal a diesel truck with 100 diesel, is that good? Or a logi truck with 1400 bmats? As I haven't done logistics yet I don't know how long any of that takes to produce.

My most crushing disappointment so far has been mining a road and waiting in ambush only to see the coming logistics truck whistle past straight over them. I think he honked as he went into the distance.

That method of putting down trenches and bunkers is mostly due to game engine shittyness and the absolute plethora of objects in the world that interfere with the placement of blueprints. If you ever want to (probably) see any sort of coherent & planned bunker layout go looking for storm cannon bases in the back areas. This also applies to any sort of wide open flat area. There are a number of semi-standardized bunker sub-section designs used by both sides (Egg, Armed Egg, & W-Bunker are three that I can think of) but those usually don't get made on the front line due to the issues mentioned.

There's a lot of "It depends" factors that determine the value of things. If you go strictly by rarity BMats and diesel are worth next to nothing. Most refineries by this time in the war have 1000s of diesel from people not refreshing their queues. Sulfur and Components are therefore considered more valuable by logi types, but you can't build anything or fix a bridge/building on the edge of collapse with either of these. If that fuel truck was the only source of fuel for a tank column, yay you probably hosed up some people's tank driving time. If it was fueling a scrap mine, oh well we got 28 crates of em in the depot & 9k diesel, lol.

As to mines, logi vehicles are specifically immune to detonating them because they are not a "heavy" type vehicle. This immunity does include the flatbed, harvester, and all LUV types.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

MREBoy posted:

That method of putting down trenches and bunkers is mostly due to game engine shittyness and the absolute plethora of objects in the world that interfere with the placement of blueprints. If you ever want to (probably) see any sort of coherent & planned bunker layout go looking for storm cannon bases in the back areas. This also applies to any sort of wide open flat area. There are a number of semi-standardized bunker sub-section designs used by both sides (Egg, Armed Egg, & W-Bunker are three that I can think of) but those usually don't get made on the front line due to the issues mentioned.

There's a lot of "It depends" factors that determine the value of things. If you go strictly by rarity BMats and diesel are worth next to nothing. Most refineries by this time in the war have 1000s of diesel from people not refreshing their queues. Sulfur and Components are therefore considered more valuable by logi types, but you can't build anything or fix a bridge/building on the edge of collapse with either of these. If that fuel truck was the only source of fuel for a tank column, yay you probably hosed up some people's tank driving time. If it was fueling a scrap mine, oh well we got 28 crates of em in the depot & 9k diesel, lol.

As to mines, logi vehicles are specifically immune to detonating them because they are not a "heavy" type vehicle. This immunity does include the flatbed, harvester, and all LUV types.

Ah that's really interesting. From what you're saying it's possible to do blueprints of entire bases (similar to Factorio)? Or do you mean more that there are standard designs that people follow.

I suspect another factor influencing the defensive "design" the other day was the rapid advance of enemy tanks on the position. As with food, the punctuality of the defences was likely just as important as the quality. There was a lot of push counter push as each group of tanks repaired/refueled over several hours. At some point we made a breakthrough but it wasn't necessarily clear why. Maybe someone went to bed on the other side.

The best part about haphazard defences (and the entire ability to build them) is that it actually creates a very interesting battlefield for the infantry, and one that changes the engagement dramatically as the battle progresses. Different parts are built and destroyed and engagements change depending on what cover is available. The last time I've seen that happen effectively in a game was Bad Company 2. It all happens very organically.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

To play devils advocate to be fair and not put off any goons playing Colonial who think we're jerks (COME FIGHT WITH US NEXT WAR) I just want to point out as a faction this way we've had many clown shoes moments this campaign. We have also been caught with our pants down neglecting our defenses for THE GREAT ADVANCE THAT WILL WIN THE WAR muliple times these past wars.

But yeah I see we've yo-yo'd back to our previous positions because we over stretched our supplies. I am guessing we're all going to busy with logistics tonight.

Yeah it was also kind of a lovely tech draw, with the choice between flask and our only infantry-portable machine gun.

I get the impression that our tanks kinda suck too, and that a lot of our gains recently have been because we reached a critical mass of captured Collie tanks.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

I get the impression that our tanks kinda suck too

The silverhand and widow are the two most overpowered tanks in the game by a county mile.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The Colonial light tank destroyer has one of the best weapon ranges in the game and has great reverse speed. Plus the open top makes it really trivial to steal from hapless colonial tankers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Our tanks are fine, they just need to tone a few things down with the Colonial ones.

Or just let our tanks load shells faster with an auto loader to close the gap.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I'm gonna crank up some logi. Any advice on which front I should focus on?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I guess the one either east or west of Callahans Passage? maybe switch towards the central front as the weekend approaches?

Congratulations by the way people, we're now involved in a record breaking war as this is the longest war fought in Foxhole campaign history. And we might have another week of it.

Those kicking their heels waiting for a new one to start just get yourself in now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I can't believe we came back from the brink like that drat

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Gameko posted:

I'm gonna crank up some logi. Any advice on which front I should focus on?

Use the bmats from the brody stockpile in discord to manufacture truckloads (15 crates) of shirts.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I can't believe we came back from the brink like that drat

Oh what did I miss. Did something big happen overnight?

The events I've noticed have been the big Warden gains over the weekend, followed by a Colonial pushback to (almost) previous lines, and then gradual Colonial gains. Everyone was very excited when Skelter "finally" fell.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

My god we're still clinging on.

We should either attempt to revive The Latch later or use what vehicles we have left to poke and distract those attacking Og.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

My god we're still clinging on.

We should either attempt to revive The Latch later or use what vehicles we have left to poke and distract those attacking Og.

Yeah, I hopped on earlier and was holding around moringhams grave, when I got roped into an arty crew to push back the tide and strike the collie relic base. We shot 3 guns with loaders and all for about an hour. Put out over 200 shells, it was awesome and caused a lot of mayhem.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man we are making it a really hard for the Colonials to win this time, that massive BB concrete hill fortress around The Mound kept them at bay for several days!

Points to Arisha who spotted that and predicted it would be hell for them to attack.

But yeah despite the bullshit we've endured along the way this war at least we've had some good fights. We've been passing our reserve stocks out to what fronts we've got left and has gotten us some good will amongst the longer suffering. We're back over the river and we've taken back Scath side of the river.

I imagine we'll force them to use the last of their rockets to end this campaign now. The weekend is here and the game pop will spike slightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La5m-u7b7ng

In other news we've got the latest compilation video out of many goon antics during this campaign. Witness daring and tense tank duels and defenses, tense infantry action and perhaps the sloppiest attempt I've seen at fighting Foxholes in years with a half assed barge landing.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Det_no posted:

I hate engineers.

i dont play this game but this image made me lol

ty

also this

Nine of Eight posted:

It was a good plan. Infiltrate enemy lines. Hose down their logi with machine gun fire. Block the road with a crane.

They thought he was dead with his truck, but he was thirsty for revenge. His weapons: A pistol, one mag, and furious fists.

COMING THIS FALL: LOGI DRIVER.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They hit Solus with the rocket so there goes Callahans Passage as a whole.

Unless you doing a big operation gents I am folding for the rest of the war. We beat the record and made it last a month.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

They hit Solus with the rocket so there goes Callahans Passage as a whole.

Unless you doing a big operation gents I am folding for the rest of the war. We beat the record and made it last a month.

o7

The planet broke before goons did.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

This game is so loving fun

Just did a big armoured flank that smacked into a town from the east and hooking up with the friendly infantry coming from the other direction ruled

I still think Wardens have this (not having easily portable AT rockets like the bane really sucks though)

Alctel fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 22, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Maybe we'll do an operation tonight before they claw the final victory city out of our bloody grasp, we've still got stuff in Brody.

Also, come to my attention for some reason (griefling?) there is a duplicated GOON clan kicking around. If some of you are legit, you are in the wrong group. Our ID NO which they cannot replicate is #4666.

Press F1 to check who is in the list and online with the regiment group. If you don't see anyone there OR if the number is 4666, we might either have somebody confused and an imposter.

If you are legit and one of us you poor bastard, hook up with us on the Discord and we'll get you in the right group. If you are all SA goons get the gently caress in the proper group already man.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Had to stage a fighting retreat last night when a line of four friendly tanks saw a line of three Colonial tanks start to advance on them…

…And our tanks just reversed out and left. Friendly armor never fired a shot. The Collie tanks had almost no infantry support, and our friendlies just loving BOOKED it.

I was pissed. I did manage to stick my Malone into the flank of their infantry and just loving ruin what little of them there was, but I had to leave immediately as well because of the lack of armor support. It was lame.

Game is still fun though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This is why I don't get the strange never say die last stand roleplaying.

It would be cool if we actually fought, but we seem to just like wasting stuff and running away a lot.

Also, the "roleplayers" in Global are disconcerningly angry and petty and people venting and burning out. gently caress those guys.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Forcing pubbies to win through long, drawn out pyrrhic victories is in some respects a win for us, because they get SO loving MAD that we won't just give up and end already.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Maybe we can try shooting one of those 150mm guns. There's tons of ammo for dumping it on a bridge battle for shits and giggles.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've been having a lot of fun today running into enemy territory unarmed with a backpack full of sticky grenades and irritating passing tanks, plus the occasional really slow logi driver. They're so focused on the win that they're not building watchtowers or doing any kind of anti-partisan patrolling, so once you get past the actual front lines you can pretty much go wherever you want.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

rip lochan they nuked the place

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Forcing pubbies to win through long, drawn out pyrrhic victories is in some respects a win for us, because they get SO loving MAD that we won't just give up and end already.

Obviously it's very difficult to judge the mood of thousands of players, but that's I've not seen any kind of frustration on the Colonial side at all. People were stoked to be part of the longest ever war, and even areas that became constant back and forth were more like old friends than annoyances.

So if the objective was to make the other side "mad", I'd consider that a loss in at least two ways.

People were so eager to get on the frontline assault last night there were gigantic queues across every single region. I could tell the war was actually being won because gains were being made in Endless Shore, which had been swapping sides for weeks.

There was clearly an excess of manpower:

https://www.reddit.com/r/foxholegame/comments/nit1v7/dirk_atm/

The most impressive logistics/organisation I saw the entire war was the amphibious assault in Marban Hollow, which suddenly sprang up from nothing overnight to a huge base.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

War over, those burned out keep an eye on the thread new one will be declared some time next week.

Taking my PC to the shop to finally fix whatever has been causing me issues for the last six months. We did good fighting and logistics.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah they have a bunch of server work to do, so I'd expect at least a few days down time.

And we did do a lot of good fighting and logi, and the Goonfort also held the line until other people's gaps allowed the Collies to flank behind it.

Re:logi, at one point I was resupplying a front line BB at Solas, and someone on voice chat said "Goon? What you got? Goons always bring the good stuff."

Also a highlight of this campaign was defending the monster-BB at mound one night. There were a lot of more experienced players around, which was good. At one point, a corporal started digging a trench right in front of the BB. I had a Malone, and couldn't get a clean shot without spraying another half-dozen of our own side, so I called out over voice "Somebody execute that corporal digging that trench." There was the immediate sound of pistol fire, and then the trench blueprint exploding.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

New war just dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's a whole new war, tech tree has been reset hopefully nobody will dupe this time around.

Come and join in on the fun.