Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

i wish they would replace those dumbass mass imp spawns with actual fun encounters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

ROFLburger posted:

for those of you that beat it, how many attempts did it take you? i feel like i could get it done eventually

My pal has done it and talked about it a bit. Run around on Nightmare mapping out kill orders on any arena that gives you trouble and fight each boss repeatedly until you can do it really smoothly if any of them give you trouble. It takes as many as it takes, if you watch UN speed runs even the world records have moments where you're stopped for 1-2 seconds by a Carcass and drop to 10 health and oh boyyyyy, time to be good at the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

ok i got the phobos skin from beating extra life mode with 10+ lives. i think it's time for ultra nightmare but i'm not sure i'm ready for that level of frustration yet. for those of you that beat it, how many attempts did it take you? i feel like i could get it done eventually

took three runs (got sloppy and died to a dread knight in arc complex, very rage-inducing; died to buffed enemies in the totem room in super gore nest), the most danger is of course in the earlier areas where you dont have all your tools or when you're expected to fight enemies that can rapidly delete you due to buffs, cramped areas, etc.. what advice i can offer you is basically:

1) memorize dangerous encounters, ie: mancubus/snek/dread knight spawns, totems, arenas with a shitload of hazards like good ole cultist base
2) know when to use your delete enemy buttons: a single BFG shot or crucible kill can save a run or at least ensure it doesn't go bad. vanilla campaign is very generous with bfg spawns, be sure to know and take advantage of them
3) dont forget power-ups: restaurant battle in arc complex can get pretty iffy once all the sneks come in, so be sure to remember that you have a berserk sitting in the bottom trench for the save

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

good call i've been avoiding powerups like the plague to the extent that i would probably not have even thought about seeking them out

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
yeah ive been playing the game without using powerups or the bfg/crucible as a challenge thing, but the goal in UN is to win, not to do it perfectly. same thing goes for the optional stuff: i only went for the first three slayer gates in order to get enough weapon points for the mods i wanted to build out ASAP; everything past that is an unnecessary risk and not vital to making it to the end of the game

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Is there/was there/will there be a chance to get all the nice-looking skins+rewards from previous "seasons" ??

(also, is it considered lame if you finish Icon of Sin on Nightmare, but with the Sentinel Armour that is given when you lose enough times? Or if you just go back after collecting enough Extra Lives from the earlier missions?)

(i know the answer :( )

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
there was a one-week window to get the first season's skins so yeah, i imagine they'll be giving people a chance to get them again

alternatively you can buy the missed skins and be outraged at how hugo martin broke his sacred oath that there wont be payable content for the game and instead expect id to keep developing a game on their own dime

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2_uZ-VWXbw&t=15s

Even when he's making intentional cringe videos Oyff manages to be better than most game trailers.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Hell yeah. I loved the little "Pepsi Maaaaan!" jingle in the background.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sounds like there might some news on some framerate-destroyers today.

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1399032909001068552

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Sounds like there might some news on some framerate-destroyers today.

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1399032909001068552

RTX and DLSS coming for Eternal. No date given by the stream.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can't wait to play Doom 5 at 720p on my series X

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
lmao at being able to buy a 3070/ti at msrp nowadays but i gotta admit that glass passage in map1 of dlc1 looked loving cool with the true reflections

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6_rMEEEY6s

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Finally, a game you are traversing at 3,000 mph and jumping into forced close up animations will reveal the beauty of RTX. This is like someone trying to backport RTX to Quake 3 multiplayer, what is the point of this? Remaster doom 3 in RTX, please. :(

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You don't need to stand and gawk at every graphic effect to appreciate it

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Someone gift me 1000 dollars so I can buy a new mid range GPU please

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

No, in the last stream Hugo said that it was a deliberate choice to "make you actively choose a grenade to equip, like you would a weapon." whatever that means.

I kind of get this since grenades, especially freeze, are such a good panic button that having them both available on one press may encourage mindless spamming.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Certainly makes the reflecting surfaces a lot prettier but what strikes me the most is that it's fairly incremental over the beautiful baseline visuals the game already runs at. I want to see their outdoor environments like Mars Core or Taras Nabad to see how light from a star is rendered.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Doomguy is no longer a vampire.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Can't wait to play Doom 5 at 720p on my series X

You'd have to make a good choice first, like getting a Series X.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is a real testament to the engine team at Id that RTX has such, I'm not sure what word I want to use so I'll just go with minimal, impact on the visuals over all. For sure it looks prettier and all, I'm not trying to say otherwise, but its just crazy how much wizardry they were able to squeeze out of that code before.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

FutureCop posted:

Well, I tried to put it off as long as possible so I didn't need to live in a Doom Eternal-less world, but I've finally done it: DLC2 is complete on Nightmare difficulty, and with that, Doom Eternal is finito!

All in all, it's been a wild ride, with Doom Eternal definitely cementing itself as one of the best games I've played and enjoyed in my entire life so far. I've always found it difficult to answer "what is your favorite game", but with Doom Eternal, now I have an answer ready.

DLC2 was great: Sentinel Hammer was a fun thing that I didn't feel like I had to keep myself from using like the BFG (which I didn't use at all) or Crucible, so that was a big win, and I liked many of the encounters, like the crazy double Marauder in a crowd of screechers fight. My only complaints would be that some new enemy types were a bit bleh such as the Cursed Prowler (it was an alright idea, being a forced game of tag, I just felt that maybe it could use more audio cues to signal it, or have the curse not take away your dash but intensify the health drain to compromise) and the Red Guys (unfinished?), some of the difficulty was a bit weird (was not expecting to beat the final bonus escalation challenge on my first try, especially after the trouble the second bonus gave me), there weren't quite as many memorable encounters/bosses/locales compared to DLC1, and the final boss was a bit frustrating (though I liked him in the end once I got used to it).

Just like I asked with DLC1: were there any difficulty tweaks made after the release? I've only just played DLC2 recently, and I heard the reception was a bit weird in that it was too easy? There were some parts I felt were a bit easier but it still felt pretty challenging, though maybe not greatly more so than DLC1 (if that's what people were expecting for it to be another big step up like DLC1 was compared to the Campaign then I can understand).

Curious to see what people here think, since I find it a bit funny: as much as people say Doom Eternal is hard, and I do think it is hard, I feel like it isn't actually that hard, due to a) the always-present potential for comeback from near-death with resource regain mechanics like chainsaw/glory kill/hammer/etc and b) generous checkpointing and ridiculously fast load times. For me, when I look at the other games I haven't beaten, like Enter the Gungeon and such, where it feels so stressful as you just get your health permanently worn down bit-by-bit with every minor mistake you make due to the low/random chance for a health pickup and you have to start your long session all over again upon dying...Doom Eternal almost feels easy in comparison.

Wonder if I should go in for Ultra Nightmare...I dunno if I love it THAT much, haha.

As you well know, Difficulty comes in a variety of ways. The Beaten to death example, like Dark Souls or soulslikes, it boils down to learning the system, and brutally punishing you if you don't know what to do when you veer away from it. When you bring up Enter the Gungeon though, Roguelike's element of chance can knock that difficulty up to such a high degree that it stops being fun because you didn't get the weapon you wanted. It's why I'm fine with games where the developers hate you, like Nioh, but I too haven't beaten Enter the Gungeon, because i've never been able to replicate the success I had like a year or two ago.

This gushing about this reminds me of one of my favorite moments in Doom Eternal.

The first fight of Final Sin was making me question just how many more demons are there, it felt overwhelming at first. Getting into the rhythm, and seeing the Tyrant bust through the door, my mind completely went from "when is this going to end" to "I don't think i want this to stop, i'm grinning like doomguy here". Everything in Final Sin (except the Icon of Sin) felt like peak DOOM

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Admittedly... that part in the trailer where Doomguy is flying around some lab during a fight, then faces some big blue window and sees an Arachnotron creeping up behind him, and then he turns around and blasts it... was pretty neat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
kinda funny that nvidia is 2 for 2 on videos about nu-doom with legit gameplay footage instead of loving around with cinematic views

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I don't play much these days, but clear the event challenges each week because skinner boxes, no matter how dumb and useless, work on me.

However, I logged in to check and I was still sitting at level 15 from last event's track. Played for a bit, returned to events and it must have rolled over while I was playing as the new HotDog event track was up - and completely unlocked up to level 15.

Logged out and back in to check, and it's still all there.

Thanks, I guess?!

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

mcbexx posted:

I don't play much these days, but clear the event challenges each week because skinner boxes, no matter how dumb and useless, work on me.

However, I logged in to check and I was still sitting at level 15 from last event's track. Played for a bit, returned to events and it must have rolled over while I was playing as the new HotDog event track was up - and completely unlocked up to level 15.

Logged out and back in to check, and it's still all there.

Thanks, I guess?!

Enjoy your giant weiner

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

The randomizer mod does some pretty funny poo poo. My game keeps spawning a stuck scarecrow marauder

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ROFLburger posted:

The randomizer mod does some pretty funny poo poo. My game keeps spawning a stuck scarecrow marauder

Are you sure he's not just asserting dominance?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I did not expect the unmaykr to be... This.

Am I missing something?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hazardousmouse posted:

Am I missing something?

It was better when the Haste power up gave infinite ammo but nowadays it's just a superheavy delete button when you want to waste cells better used for the BFG.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

hazardousmouse posted:

Am I missing something?

Nah, it's pretty weak, all things considered. I honestly think it's supposed to be used if you're using cheat codes, I haven't really found a good use for it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZpj1HIJjFs

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The unmaykr is lame because its three shots per trigger pull, all firing in a perfectly horizontal line each time, feels like the most video-gamey thing and it's just not cool.

If the projectiles looked like almost anything else it would have been a lot cooler of a gun.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I consider it more of an easter egg/nod to Doom 64

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

tuo posted:

I consider it more of an easter egg/nod to Doom 64

Not a particularly good nod, then, given the Unmaker in Doom64 utterly wrecks everything and can be fired for more than 5 seconds.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rocket Pan posted:

Not a particularly good nod, then, given the Unmaker in Doom64 utterly wrecks everything and can be fired for more than 5 seconds.
Yeah, but it wouldn't be Doom Eternal if a weapon had a large pool of ammunition (even the ones that cannot be refilled with a chainsaw).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Unmaykr would probably be a little more useful if one of the runes you could equip was the ammo one from 2016, and so you had a chance to drop....I dunno, maybe +15 BFG cells per chainsaw whereas the big pickups with the best sound effect on the map are a full refill

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
So, short answer is it sucks in main but good in DLC cause your 1 hit delete button gets confiscated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

hazardousmouse posted:

So, short answer is it sucks in main but good in DLC cause your 1 hit delete button gets confiscated

Also because you don't earn the Unmaykr until the last third of the original campaign, and DLC1's denser fights lend themselves well to it. It's a good tool, especially in conjunction with freezing and staggering, but it isn't an instant problem solver by itself.