Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Item Getter posted:

Spoiler warning for a PS2 game from 2003

I only started playing SMT in 2016 or 2017. I dunno, I appreciate people trying to be discreet when they know new players are around.

Also can confirm, no Raidou or Dante DLC clicked lets you skip the forced tutorial part where you get transported to tha Labyrinth of Amala. I figured it would but nice to know.

Almost died to the Pretas anyway but I used an item to heal myself. Deeply, deeply shameful but I did it anyway. I'll somehow live without that 1 Life Stone. But seriously, the fuckers did get two Crits. I only survived because they missed a couple times. I don't remember dodging poo poo this early in the game last time, maybe they made i even Hard Mode easier or it's all just RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nocturne is playable now on Switch for Deluxe pre-orders.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The english va for hell biker is literally someone trying to do a macho man randy savage impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WNJu84FXY

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Nocturnes hd remaster has some interesting voice direction.

This is some rough stuff, gonna stick with the original for suer

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just had my first...crash? Freeze?

Was literally right before the save point, too. I had just unlocked the door back to the first bit of the basement, got healed, was going to save and Pixie leveled up from an encounter. Gave me a Dis-Stun and then when the screen faded to black...nothing else happened. It just got stuck there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

This is some rough stuff, gonna stick with the original for suer

Uh it rules actually

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would never trade a beautiful and bleak atmosphere for a bad Randy Savage but you do you

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I mean Nocturne is beautiful and bleak but it's never been because of the demon dialogue. Demons are all massive dweebs with goofy as hell dialogue and honestly making the voice acting similarly silly fits.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is the Japanese just as high quality

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I mean Nocturne is beautiful and bleak but it's never been because of the demon dialogue. Demons are all massive dweebs with goofy as hell dialogue and honestly making the voice acting similarly silly fits.

Yeah but If the Nekomata asks me to play rough in text I can roll with it, if it verbalizes it my soul is forced out of my body and must confront that I'm playing a video game. Idk man I don't like it

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm really enjoying the voice acting, its making all these conversations so worth it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah but If the Nekomata asks me to play rough in text I can roll with it, if it verbalizes it my soul is forced out of my body and must confront that I'm playing a video game. Idk man I don't like it

I can't confirm anything yet but Pixie is sort of like Persona with the odd voiced line but mostly text. In fact most of the voiced lines for her intro cutscene was probably just battle quotes or something.

I don't think regular NPCs like that Nekomata will be voiced. Will be sure to let you know as soon as I re-do all that poo poo I just lost and then some.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Huh, it said 25th earlier today. Downloading now, might even get to play during the weekend.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Huh, it said 25th earlier today. Downloading now, might even get to play during the weekend.

If you got the Deluxe edition you get to play 4 days early.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SMT4 has a somber synth line playing while you navigate a destroyed world and your friends kill each other but it also had a sidequest about a giant dick

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I had heard about this beforehand but so glad they got Mido's VA from IVA back. He might have been in original IV too but who cares. Sadly he doesn't say as much but he's still so good.

Also the club Nekomata is completely unvoiced . Not a sound from her dialogue.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SMT4 has a somber synth line playing while you navigate a destroyed world and your friends kill each other but it also had a sidequest about a giant dick

I'm sure there are more SMT games with a sidequest about a giant dick than without.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ah yes this sure is the game I remember. Looking much shinier than before and with some delightfully crisp UI. Picked it up on PC because I'm hoping that some enterprising people make some mods for 60FPS and perhaps the soundtrack quality OST.

Playing on Hard because clearly the first time I did so didn't do enough damage to my psyche. Not going too bad so far at least.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Strange Journey is all about going thru literal hell but finds time for a toilet demon and an entire sidequest chain about a dude wanting to gently caress demons

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

I still occasionally regret not buying this Mara figurine (CD for scale)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hell Biker's voice is loving incredible, holy poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pharohman777 posted:

The english va for hell biker is literally someone trying to do a macho man randy savage impression.

This kicks rear end

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Maybe there's such a thing as being too easy? The legendary Matador has seen better days.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaten/comments/nho65d/game_reviewer_difficulty/

I know there are easier modes in the other later SMT games too but I dunno if they are this obscenely easy. Somebody trying this and then going to Strange Journey would be obliterated. I think. Now I wanna try out SJR on its easy mode.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Generally speaking, anyone who complains about easy mode being easy is not worth listening to, doubly so if they refer to it as “game journalist difficulty” or whatever.

I only had about an hour with my Switch before I had to head to work, but I haven’t noticed any problems yet. Everything looks and sounds good so far.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
:negative: God, I can't even boot the game up, it tells me it needs DirectX 11 to run and then shuts down every time...

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Still deciding on whether to get this on Steam or the Switch.

Does it still have the performance issues on Switch some people complained about when it came out in Japan?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

So far it's been running fine for me on Switch, playing exclusively in handheld mode.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
God drat, that Dante tower appearance and fight and music still gives me goosebumps every. single. time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

I still occasionally regret not buying this Mara figurine (CD for scale)

How could you resist the urge to buy the Penis chariot, I'm sorry but you hosed up

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Gaius Marius posted:

How could you resist the urge to buy the Penis chariot, I'm sorry but you hosed up

It was around $450 before shipping and import fees

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Alacron posted:

Generally speaking, anyone who complains about easy mode being easy is not worth listening to, doubly so if they refer to it as “game journalist difficulty” or whatever.

Agreed.

HellOnEarth posted:

:negative: God, I can't even boot the game up, it tells me it needs DirectX 11 to run and then shuts down every time...

You do have a GPU capable of DX11/12 right? Silly question, but

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alacron posted:

I only had about an hour with my Switch before I had to head to work, but I haven’t noticed any problems yet. Everything looks and sounds good so far.

IMO there's legitimate reasons to dislike when easy mode is too easy but this isn't really one of them.

Mostly just in games where the gulf between easy and normal is too wide and you end up not satisfying anyone.

You should always make fun of game journalists being bad at things though, but only when they make a big deal about it since it's funny.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 22, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
If you can swap the difficulty at any time I'm very tempted to play Hard but switch to Normal for buying Magatama to avoid the hard mode price markup, which doesn't actually make the game harder but just incentivizes grinding for money.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Alacron posted:

12 hours in, I've had the game crash 4 times now. The first three were pretty inconsequential, but this last one happened right after I finished the second kalpa :mad:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
7 hours in, zero crashes or issues.

People on the steam forums having weird issues suggested reinstalling video drivers with the clean install option and it helped some peeps who couldn't load the game etc.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
So I'm really dumb but I'm having a hard time parsing the DLC in the US-- base game has Raidou and includes the Amala Labyrinth, correct? Maniac switches Raidou to Dante? I'm only confused because I saw someone somewhere posting about playing the original pre-Amala Labyrinth version somehow?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

So I'm really dumb but I'm having a hard time parsing the DLC in the US-- base game has Raidou and includes the Amala Labyrinth, correct? Maniac switches Raidou to Dante? I'm only confused because I saw someone somewhere posting about playing the original pre-Amala Labyrinth version somehow?

Okay so as I understand it, both Raidou and Dante versions of the game are DLC, but Raidou is free while Dante costs 5 bucks or whatever.

Some folks are downloading only the base game without any DLC whatsoever, and that lets them play Vanilla Nocturne.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

As far as I can tell, that is only the Steam version. The Switch version is Raidou by default, with only Dante as DLC.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s only that complicated on the PC afaik. The Consoles don’t even let you play Vanilla at all at least on the Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

As far as I can tell, that is only the Steam version. The Switch version is Raidou by default, with only Dante as DLC.

Yep, this is true.

On Switch and PS4, no-DLC Nocturne is Maniax with Raidou. Dante is a separate DLC that swaps Raidou out for him.

On PC, no-DLC Nocturne is non-Maniax, which previously hadn't existed outside of Japan. In most of the world, you can download the Raidou DLC for free, which upgrades to Maniax with Raidou; you can also pay for Dante, which allows you to instead play Maniax with Dante.

In China and Korea, the Raidou DLC is unavailable, so they only have the option of either non-Maniax, or paying extra for Maniax with Dante.