Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its really funny how Alan keeps busting out more and more actual physical things from the movie as the video goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
A mans quest to trackdown a meme I've never heard of, determine the origin, and finding out where it was taken.

I think this is one of times that shows how the wonderful the internet can be despite weird and niche it is. I was wrong

edit: Big nope to this guy.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 21, 2021

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing Nick Robinson has a hand in can be wonderful.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nothing Nick Robinson has a hand in can be wonderful.

I know nothing of him outside this video, what did I miss?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

lobster22221 posted:

Sexual harassment. Some of the most amazing series were ruined for me because of this. Car Boys was a masterpiece.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

lobster22221 posted:

Huge pest who somehow is extremely good at gaming the YT algo. He sent lots of very creepy/pesty texts to people, did other stuff, and iirc admitted to it and laid low for a bit. Back when this came out he was fired from Polygon cuz it was essentially proven so he left few hugely popular video series he was on with Griffin McElroy and others.

https://kotaku.com/polygon-parts-ways-with-nick-robinson-following-twitter-1797735272

here's a writeup about it.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Whelp, gently caress, I'm deleting the link.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

lobster22221 posted:

Whelp, gently caress, I'm deleting the link.

Gamer Disgusted to Discover They Just Watched Nick Robinson Video

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

I'd say I feel played, but there are so many youtubers with bad sexual history the only surprise is that its this specific name popping up.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Re: Korra, I agree with most of the criticisms about the shows politics, but when I watched the show I was very surprised the resolutions to its conflicts wasn't just the status quo unchanged is perfectly fine. I haven't watched the show in years but I'm pretty certain I remember after defeating the "equality is good actually" guys the city in series one abolished its political caste system for one man one vote democracy, and I was genuinely stunned when the last series ends with the foppish princeling having learned to take responsibility and help others didn't become the greatest King who reigned over a golden age like I was inspecting, and instead realised monarchy was a terrible system and he had no interest in ruling and stated he would support abolishing the monarchy.

This doesn't really reflect on any of the other political themes and flaws, but I can't really think of a mainstream storyline set in feudal/absolutist times that even went that far. Usually its just the King is bad so replace him or the Queen is cursed so lets find the witch/dragon responsible and rip it apart.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I watched all of Korra when it aired and honestly can't remember too much from it aside from that one flashback sequence with the nice animation, Kuvira's character feeling like they could have done more with her and the finale making my eyes roll out of my skull. It was a neat idea to tackle different ideologies as bad guys, but it being a kids show they obviously couldn't dive too deep into it to be really informative. I'm actually kind of curious what the primary demographic of the show, kids, thought of it.

volts5000 posted:

I watched it as it premiered. loving gave me chills. Just him describing how they did each effect along with the set design was amazing!

New Philosophy Tube video is out. Was able to watch her's and Captain Disillusion's premier back to back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATITdJg7bWI

That smile is really creepy. Can't properly explain why, but it looks extremely cold and forced.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In Steven Universe, Rebecca Sugar wanted to make a show about feelings and family drama, and also a sweeping space opera. And from what I gather from hearing about the "she's a fascist" take, someone looked at a story of dysfunctional family viewed through a fantastical lens, and took it at face value that Rebecca Sugar thinks that if we encounter a totalitarian empire, we should just hug it out and forgive them for trying to render the Earth uninhabitable to humans.

This may be a caveman take, but my main problem with Korra was one I had with many cartoons of the 2010s: the interminable plot arcs in which a main character becomes a mopey lame-o over an unrequited crush. Relationship drama can be compelling, but the way all those shows went about it wasn't.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This is very funny to me because 1) a lot of people were VERY sure of which way he was leaning and 2) why did anyone need him to say it to begin with. Like whew I guess you can rest a little easier now knowing that you share the right politics with someone. Glad it made your approval.

https://twitter.com/robthemind/status/1395382985776680960?s=19

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

A mans quest to trackdown a meme I've never heard of, determine the origin, and finding out where it was taken.

I think this is one of times that shows how the wonderful the internet can be despite weird and niche it is. I was wrong

edit: Big nope to this guy.

For anyone wondering, it's about that Michaelsoft Binbows "ROR engrish lacism" bullshit meme* where he spends 30 minutes explaining something that anyone with even a passing understanding of Japanese could interpret in about 3 seconds.

*not suggesting Creeper McGroomington is a racist, just that the meme has some undertones of that sort of poo poo about it.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

DrVenkman posted:

This is very funny to me because 1) a lot of people were VERY sure of which way he was leaning and 2) why did anyone need him to say it to begin with. Like whew I guess you can rest a little easier now knowing that you share the right politics with someone. Glad it made your approval.

It's even better because that question was asked by Sarah Polley, whose story of Snyder having a photoshopped picture of Saddam Hussein was something a lot of people point to as proof Snyder is a wacko.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I'll have you know that there were days where I couldn't sleep because I felt entitled to know every intimate detail about Zack Snyder's mind.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Vagabundo posted:

I'll have you know that there were days where I couldn't sleep because I felt entitled to know every intimate detail about Zack Snyder's mind.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DrVenkman posted:

but you're posting it here.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

but you're posting it here.

I know! Isn't it cool I can do that!?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

In Steven Universe, Rebecca Sugar wanted to make a show about feelings and family drama, and also a sweeping space opera. And from what I gather from hearing about the "she's a fascist" take,

What the hell is wrong with people

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

What the hell is wrong with people

Politics poisons peoples brains to the point where they just can't sit down and enjoy poo poo anymore. That said, the show does have a really weird and unfortunate undercurrent to its final slate of episodes, TV movie, and then epilogue season of working its rear end off to try and redeem four characters initially presented to the audience with ample corroborating evidence as being violent fascist oppressors at the apex of their individuality-crushing expansionist empire, with unsubtle emphasis on idea that the one member of this quartet who was the victim of constant abuse by the other three might have actually been the real villain of the story the whole time if you think about it :thunk:

Folks being unable to separate art form artist have convinced themselves that Rebecca Sugar somehow completely endorses all the messy ideas and ideologies the show attempts portray and engage in dialog.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 21, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also good on Zack Snyder for letting everyone know how liberal he thinks he is. I hope that one dude who got really visibly bummed out when Snyder said to his face on that live stream that he doesn't like racists is feeling extra sad right now.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

nine-gear crow posted:

with unsubtle emphasis on idea that the one member of this quartet who was the victim of constant abuse by the other three might have actually been the real villain of the story the whole time if you think about it :thunk:

i never really thought that they were going for "pink diamond was the Real Baddie all along" in SU, it seemed more that it was a general cycle of abuse thing with PD starting off as kind of a bad person (like the other diamonds were to her) and slowly changing to be better by the time she died (though of course it's seen in reverse for the audience/characters)

unless you're being sarcastic and i missed that :v:

also i only ever saw S1 of korra and i only vaguely remember the Sports and weird love triangle arc???

edit: wait i think there was also the nonbender rights deal and the aang ex machina at the end?

Booky fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 21, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Booky posted:

i never really thought that they were going for "pink diamond was the Real Baddie all along" in SU, it seemed more that it was a general cycle of abuse thing with PD starting off as kind of a bad person (like the other diamonds were to her) and slowly changing to be better by the time she died (though of course it's seen in reverse for the audience/characters)

unless you're being sarcastic and i missed that :v:

also i only ever saw S1 of korra and i only vaguely remember the Sports and weird love triangle arc???

I'm being mildly sarcastic, but yes, there is kind of a strong under current to Steven Universe: Future, intended or not, that is basically most, if not all of Steven's issues, external and internal alike, are all either directly or indirectly Pink Diamond/Rose Quartz's fault. Though like you said, a lot of that is couched in the whole cycle of abuse part.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i love hbomb’s videos on sherlock and fallout 3, he’s a fantastic media critic but man is it hard to forgive him for the work he’s inspired. some crimes truly can’t be forgiven

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

watho posted:

i love hbomb’s videos on sherlock and fallout 3, he’s a fantastic media critic but man is it hard to forgive him for the work he’s inspired. some crimes truly can’t be forgiven

watho
Aug 2, 2013

man snyder can’t even make a good reaction image smdh

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm being mildly sarcastic, but yes, there is kind of a strong under current to Steven Universe: Future, intended or not, that is basically most, if not all of Steven's issues, external and internal alike, are all either directly or indirectly Pink Diamond/Rose Quartz's fault. Though like you said, a lot of that is couched in the whole cycle of abuse part.

I think SUF is less trying to say that everything is Pink Diamond's fault, and more that individually atoning for every lovely thing another person did over their entire lifetime is a burden that will ruin your life. It's not that Rose did every bad thing, it's just that Steven will never run out of bad things Rose (or anyone else) did to "fix".

watho posted:

https://i.imgur.com/F1LzJyK.mp4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

josh04 posted:

I think SUF is less trying to say that everything is Pink Diamond's fault, and more that individually atoning for every lovely thing another person did over their entire lifetime is a burden that will ruin your life. It's not that Rose did every bad thing, it's just that Steven will never run out of bad things Rose (or anyone else) did to "fix".

Fair enough.

Oh what I wouldn't give to be in Henry Cavill's mind at that moment and seeing his reaction to Snyder's weird bugfuck glee at the prospect of Superman snapping another person's neck.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 21, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

okay i’ll give you that this one is pretty funny but the other one is just the live action the last airbender to this classic

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

nine-gear crow posted:

ah yeah, Future also shows that continuation of the cycle with PD (intentionally or not since its left pretty ambiguous, tho imo i lean more towards Not) leaving issues for steven to take care of, leading to him also becoming traumatized and breaking down before he's talked into getting help and the cycle being broken; in general the cycle of abuse is kind of a reoccurring theme in the show iirc!

if SU is about "character vs society" and the movie "character vs character", Future is about "character vs self" i guess :)

who is this man.......

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Just a genial guy, criticisms slipping off like he's Teflon, doing his thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

Fair enough.

Oh what I wouldn't give to be in Henry Cavill's mind at that moment and reacting to Snyder's weird bugfuck glee at the prospect of Superman snapping another person's neck.

Making movies is a fun process and having fun while pretending to do violent things is a part of it.

Pretty much every horror director giggles when they make heads explode, because it’s fun and funny to see.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Booky posted:

who is this man.......

The man everyone dreams about

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In a completely neutral sense, SUF took away any desire I have to see more Steven Universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Making movies is a fun process and having fun while pretending to do violent things is a part of it.

Pretty much every horror director giggles when they make heads explode, because it’s fun and funny to see.

I just meant from an actor-director standpoint. As the moment is ostensibly about Snyder instructing Cavill on how he wants him to act in that particular moment, with the facial emotion being a big part of it, and that look from Synder is certainly a mood, to say the least.

josh04 posted:

In a completely neutral sense, SUF took away any desire I have to see more Steven Universe.

Same. It really was kind of weird bellyflop when it should have been a victory lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

3:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqm1qFBoV7w

They’re having a good time!