Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

YggiDee posted:

The larger problem here is that many quests are unlocked by raising local affinity, which you get by doing quests, or by expanding NPC relationships, which you get by doing quests. And talking to everyone at least twice, because they say different things during the day and at night.

What I'm hearing here is that I'll probably end up feeling the need to do every quest huh :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you open the affinity chart you can scroll through a list of residents of a particular area of Bionis by pressing the button labeled “Residents” and then if you find the name of the NPC you want to find, there’s an option to track them. The person being tracked will have a magnifying glass icon over them on your full map (once you’re in the actual area, iirc)

Does that show people you haven't talked to? No biggie, I'm just going to spend some time going through seeing which quests I've missed out on before I progress the story.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

track day bro! posted:

Does that show people you haven't talked to? No biggie, I'm just going to spend some time going through seeing which quests I've missed out on before I progress the story.

No, you have to talk to them first. Go around and talk to every NPC at 10am and 10pm, you’ll catch almost all of them. There’s an old spreadsheet from way back in the day you can use to track down specific people:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1zsw4BoNPdCEmKI4k0_beIAsDt77ii-vVgLegaph3518/htmlview?hl=en_US

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No, you have to talk to them first. Go around and talk to every NPC at 10am and 10pm, you’ll catch almost all of them. There’s an old spreadsheet from way back in the day you can use to track down specific people:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1zsw4BoNPdCEmKI4k0_beIAsDt77ii-vVgLegaph3518/htmlview?hl=en_US

Thats a super useful spreadsheet thanks!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Welp I accidentally finished Xenoblade because I didn't realise that beating Dickson was a point of no return.

Also for a game with so many high level enemies taunting you on the map, the entire final dungeon was a pushover. I was just getting to the point where I could consistantly topple lock most named enemies. I kinda thought the final boss would be harder than some high level spider hiding in a cave.

Still it's been a blast and the NG+ might be fun.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That section of Tephra Cave is supposed to be the post-game. The end boss is only like lv 80. I lowered all of my characters’ levels to 80 for the final sequence so it wouldn’t be too easy.

Also I think Dunban literally says “this is the point of no return” when you try to use that teleporter lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1389444750785191936?s=21

If you’re on the fence, this is a great deal.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finally finished Xenoblade 1 a few days ago.

I really enjoyed it's story, but the gameplay only really checked for me toward the very end. Even then I was mostly just topple locking every boss into place.

I've looked at Xenoblade 2, but can't quite parse what it's going for gameplay wise. I wish there was a demo. I'm thankful to the posters who've described it in detail, but it's hard to a get a feel for it through just posts and video.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That section of Tephra Cave is supposed to be the post-game. The end boss is only like lv 80. I lowered all of my characters’ levels to 80 for the final sequence so it wouldn’t be too easy.

Also I think Dunban literally says “this is the point of no return” when you try to use that teleporter lol

Lol I missed this post

Yeah I kinda missed him saying that, also to be fair the game can't taunt me with level 90 teritorial rottbart at the start of the game and not have me want to beat him.

OhFunny posted:

I finally finished Xenoblade 1 a few days ago.

I really enjoyed it's story, but the gameplay only really checked for me toward the very end. Even then I was mostly just topple locking every boss into place.

I've looked at Xenoblade 2, but can't quite parse what it's going for gameplay wise. I wish there was a demo. I'm thankful to the posters who've described it in detail, but it's hard to a get a feel for it through just posts and video.

I feel like I had the same experience, as soon as I got some topple plus gems and monado cyclone it broke the game. Maybe I should go back and play the expansion now, I just wish they hadn't saddled you with nopon Sharla. I mean you could've had Nopon Dunban, talk about a missed opportunity.

I do feel the same about 2 also, I want more Xenoblade but there are so many things that make me think I'll hate it. Also wow I thought I'd be able to pick up a cheap used copy which doesn't seem to be a thing, did it not sell well?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You get Nopon Sharla and Nopon Reyn so just use Nopon Reyn.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is Melias AI still bad in the expansion?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah but she’s technically the main character so you’re actively encouraged to use her. And you should!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Melia's AI will always be awful, the good news is a manually controlled Melia does warcrimes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

track day bro! posted:

I do feel the same about 2 also, I want more Xenoblade but there are so many things that make me think I'll hate it. Also wow I thought I'd be able to pick up a cheap used copy which doesn't seem to be a thing, did it not sell well?

Quite the opposite. It's Monolith Soft's best selling game. It's hard to find cheap because of it's popularity.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah but she’s technically the main character so you’re actively encouraged to use her. And you should!

I do need to learn how to use Melia too. I didn't use her at all in the main game and got bodied in the first expansion fight, because I wasn't sure what to do with her in the lead.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Here's the quick & nasty guide:

Gems:

Ether to 150
Chill Plus
Poison Plus
Debuff Resist
Blaze Plus

Skillz:

Summon Earth
Summon Ice
Summon Flare
Summon Bolt
Summon Copy
Spear Break
Starlight Kick
Burst End/Mind Blast

Summon Bolt, then Copy, then summon+discharge Earth/Chill/Blaze and then summon a 3rd bolt and discharge that too. Your DoTs will do an utter fuckload of damage as a fight drags on. Basically always have 2 bolts active and unload your arsenal as it leaves cooldown.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 21, 2021

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I used Melia quite a bit through the main game. I liked that it was a complete change of pace, but she never felt as fun to use as the more physical based characters. In Sharlas case sure you could use her effectively but it never felt fun.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Here's the quick & nasty guide:

Gems:

Ether to 150
Chill Plus
Poison Plus
Debuff Resist
Blaze Plus

Skillz:

Summon Earth
Summon Ice
Summon Flare
Summon Bolt
Summon Copy
Spear Break
Starlight Kick
Burst End/Mind Blast

Summon Bolt, then Copy, then summon+discharge Earth/Chill/Blaze and then summon a 3rd bolt and discharge that too. Your DoTs will do an utter fuckload of damage as a fight drags on. Basically always have 2 bolts active and unload your arsenal as it leaves cooldown.

I would swap Earth for Wind because it has a significantly faster cooldown which is way better than the poison damage. Also it’s extremely vital for the optional superbosses. I don’t think Burst End isn’t very good, while Mind Blast is one of the best moves in the entire game and seal aura is, again, totally vital for superbosses when they use their Awakening aura at low health. Yes I know Monado Purge does it too but you wanna save Monodo gauge for Cyclone most of the time.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Burst end is quite good because it debuffs enemy defense and ether defense. It's a direct increase to your damage, and if you're going for big numbers with Melia it's flat out better than mind blast. Ideally you use it right before a chain attack.

Summon bolt is mainly good for the ether buff. Don't discharge it (until the buff wears off) because it increases aggro on Melia. Avoid using wind for the same reason.

For big damage, replace blaze plus with back atk plus. Position behind the enemy, chain attack, discharge ice and earth when the multiplier is high. Almost nothing can survive that as long as your party can stay upright for several seconds while the DoTs do their thing.

Don't sleep on Melia's reflection art either. It can save in a pinch and I find it has a lot more utility than summon flare.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I would swap Earth for Wind because it has a significantly faster cooldown which is way better than the poison damage. Also it’s extremely vital for the optional superbosses. I don’t think Burst End isn’t very good, while Mind Blast is one of the best moves in the entire game and seal aura is, again, totally vital for superbosses when they use their Awakening aura at low health. Yes I know Monado Purge does it too but you wanna save Monodo gauge for Cyclone most of the time.

Earth's poison damage is high enough to wreck most enemies by itself, and firing one off during a chain attack is even more ridiculous. After burst end superbosses will melt in a way that fast CD arts cannot even begin to approach.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

All the superbosses have a 70% resistance to defense/ether defense down so Burst End seems like a huge waste of a slot to me when Mind Blast is absurdly powerful and can seal auras.

Anyway I’m pretty sure that even with Night Vision you need the agility boost from Summon Wind to even hit the superbosses consistently. So I’m still going to recommend it over earth for those battles at least.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Finally decided to continue Xenoblade 2, up to chapter 9 now (I put it down in chapter 5 last year IIRC).

Everything that's going on since chapter 8 seems....rushed? I mean, it's more or less an anime movie right now because whenever I move the left stick, the next cutscene starts, and I have so many questions...but the pacing kinda feels off?

Still a good experience, imo.

e: have a passed a point of no return without knowing, because the titans are now all fighting, Indol is no longer available etc. will this change later?

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

All the superbosses have a 70% resistance to defense/ether defense down so Burst End seems like a huge waste of a slot to me when Mind Blast is absurdly powerful and can seal auras.

Anyway I’m pretty sure that even with Night Vision you need the agility boost from Summon Wind to even hit the superbosses consistently. So I’m still going to recommend it over earth for those battles at least.

A night vision V and agility VI gem, along with a few linked skills are enough to consistently hit any of the superbosses, unless your strategy hinges on using Melia's topple combo. Blizzard Belgazas has low base agi so you don't need night vision for that fight. If you're swapping out summon earth for summon wind you're cutting Melia's DPS damage heavily and needlessly lengthening the fight in return for a buff that doesn't make that much of a difference.

Mind blast doesn't help with DPS much. It hits in the 5 digit range, but with a good setup Melia's DoTs do way more. The idea is to kill enemies quickly, so even if they activate an aura they're not alive long enough to do anything. Alternatively you just can topple lock, which is a foolproof way to beat the superbosses but not one you'd normally use with Melia.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can absolutely topple lock with Melia using Spear Break/Starlight Kick. If you Spear Break->Starlight Kick->Speak Break->Start Chain Attack->Starlight Kick->Monado Cyclone->Steel Strike

Anyway you won’t have room for Poison Plus gems during those fights since you have to have Topple Plus, Topple Up and Night Vision.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Sure, you can topple lock with Melia but she's less effective than a party of Shulk/Reyn/Dunban and she doesn't synergize as well with physical characters. In your example you'd be better off with Reyn in the party because he has topple and daze arts with shorter cooldowns. With the right setup he can keep an enemy locked down by himself.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The superbosses are all immune to Daze soooo

Edit: they’re all immune or greatly resist break so forcing topple is significantly better in every way, especially since it means you can topple with your first move in a chain attack.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 22, 2021

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Break is just one art at the start of a chain attack though, a small cost to pay.

Starlight kick's longer cooldown relative to wild down and steel strike is a liability. If we're talking superbosses, 2 of them halve topple duration so you have to be efficient to keep them locked down. You're also reliant on AI shulk to use monado cyclone or save his talent gauge until a chain attack, which is unreliable. Putting night vision on Melia nerfs her damage because her best attacks are ether-based and unaffected by accuracy/evasion.

You mentioned being reliant on Melia's mind blast to remove auras from superbosses - if you need to do this you're not topple locking effectively.

Melia/Shulk/Dunban is a decent party, and it's what I used on my first playthrough years ago. But for pure damage (burst or DoT) or topple locking other parties are much better. It's also not that great at building party gauge, which is important for most strats.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Melia/Shulk/Dunban worked very well for the superbosses, I had no issues really. Well apart from Avalanche Abaasy being able to one-shot your whole team unless you perfectly time the start of a chain attack and the fact that he only stays toppled for a very short time which makes him basically impossible to topple lock. But that’s unavoidable no matter your party.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

track day bro! posted:

Xb2 throws too much at you imo. The blade thing is overplayed on forums though; they’re just weapons/classes. Any character can be any class depending on the weapon you put on them. They’re also tied to elements for synergy. But that’s it. You’ll probably still make a party with a tank, healer, and dps.

The mercenary mission stuff is just filler to keep your PokémonBlades busy in your pockets. It could have been cut.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

XB2 is obnoxious because it has too many systems and too many vague/interchangeable/hard to remember terms for things. Once you understand everything it's great and the combat flows really well, especially on long fights where you can actually do a lot of those cool things. The game just doesn't do a good job at all of getting you to that point.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They just announced Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and I’m shook. Literally crying tears of joy.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They just announced Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and I’m shook. Literally crying tears of joy.

In SEPTEMBER

Of THIS YEAR

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Glad that the Melia/Nia expy is looking like the main love interest, happy for you girl and I don't even know you

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress yeah, need to go and beat Xenoblade 1 now on Switch. Finished 2 last year

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Supremezero posted:

In SEPTEMBER

Of THIS YEAR

https://twitter.com/ninswitchintel/status/1491543752808222724?s=21

I need to watch the trailer again when I’m not freaking out and crying.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Is that Nia or just someone who looks like her? The Direct also mentioned the worlds of both games so curious to see where this goes

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I just really hope it's better than 2.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

roomtwofifteen posted:

Is that Nia or just someone who looks like her? The Direct also mentioned the worlds of both games so curious to see where this goes

It looks suspiciously identical. Like she's even got the crystal in her neck.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Can´t believe Melia not getting Shulk made the High Entia evil.

Should have been like Rex and loved everyone.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :woop: :siren: :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

roomtwofifteen posted:

Xenoblade 2 spoilers
From the ending of 2 I always assumed all of the people were transported to the world of Xeno 1 so my guess is this happens like many years after that