Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/Sssnakeepit/status/1395477967892107268

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i want that capybara mindset

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Duck power slide

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ekuNNN posted:

This cave painting is 30.000 years old which is just amazing to me :allears:

This is legitimately a great piece of art. It uses the least possible amount of linework while still giving a super accurate representation of a bear, including implied perspective (on the head).

Also consider that there was absolutely no way for a person at that time to get a good view of a bear without being close as hell to them, I'm very impressed.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Compare that to this rendition from the middle ages. Did Europeans just forget how to draw somehow?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Son of Rodney posted:

This is legitimately a great piece of art. It uses the least possible amount of linework while still giving a super accurate representation of a bear, including implied perspective (on the head).

Also consider that there was absolutely no way for a person at that time to get a good view of a bear without being close as hell to them, I'm very impressed.

It’s also cool how they picked the crappiest, non-flat spot to draw some poo poo on, like you’d miss it just passing through. It’s almost like someone specifically wanted to show off line art relief mapping as a measure of authenticity, since it’s not a commercially available photo manipulation technique. I.E. if you can’t fake it, it can’t be faked, etc. Extra-embellished rock variations. Yet no artist in their right mind would choose to draw there or bother to make the perspective correct if their repertoire only included flat line drawings. I’m guessing someone raytraced some rocks and scanned some poo poo out of the kindergarten trash bin. :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

To be fair, they had a lot more free time.

In fact, hunter/gatherer tribes today pretty much all say that they work about 4-6 hours a day and the rest of the time is spent on leisure.

I'd much rather have that than my stupid email job and a mortgage, lifespan be damned.

I don't really work more than 4 hours in my fake email job either, plus my "leisure" time doesn't include running away from bears, so I think we should keep this in perspective

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Sort of?

The emphasis was more about the symbolism of the given object than the supposed correctness of it. In something like that piece which likely comes from a manuscript of some sort it was likely drawn and painted by a monk/scribe. It's unlikely they saw bears with any frequency at that point, so largely had to go from memory. Medieval zoos/menageries were pretty uncommon, not to mention probably seen as very secular and the purviewof the rich. A place where monks generally didn't go. It's likely that if they had seen a bear it would've been in their peasant-ish youth. So, from a composition perspective it's still very good and you can infer what it is. Try drawing or painting something you haven't seen since your childhood off memory alone.

necroid
May 14, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

This cave painting is 30.000 years old which is just amazing to me :allears:

drat that's really good for being so old, wikipedia has some other cool paintings from the same cave

on first impact it's really surprising to see how stylish these are, but if I stop to think about it I know that the world is full of naturally talented observers/drawers that manage to draw well even without any formal education and without refined tools like pencils or brushes

I can only imagine how many other pieces of art have been produced in the early history of mankind that must have been lost to time just because they weren't in a good sheltered cave

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why would any artist with the skills to draw in perspective make a line drawing that only looks correct from a specific vantage, and if it was an act of preservation who is going to have a reasonable comparison not knowing what animal it’s supposed to look like in the first place? :thunk:

necroid
May 14, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Compare that to this rendition from the middle ages. Did Europeans just forget how to draw somehow?

lol was thinking exactly the same thing, at a certain point people started having trouble painting loving cats and dogs ffs

not exactly as hard to draw as a bear that's trying to maul you and eat you

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

necroid posted:

drat that's really good for being so old, wikipedia has some other cool paintings from the same cave

on first impact it's really surprising to see how stylish these are, but if I stop to think about it I know that the world is full of naturally talented observers/drawers that manage to draw well even without any formal education and without refined tools like pencils or brushes

I can only imagine how many other pieces of art have been produced in the early history of mankind that must have been lost to time just because they weren't in a good sheltered cave

These guys are fuckin crackheads man. :okpos:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

necroid posted:

lol was thinking exactly the same thing, at a certain point people started having trouble painting loving cats and dogs ffs

not exactly as hard to draw as a bear that's trying to maul you and eat you

A lot of it is stylistic as well, this was just the style of the time. It's wrong to assume all artists are trying to draw a lifelike representation of a thing, you don't look at a Picasso painting and say 'lol he can't draw fuckin face! People don't look like that!'

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aramoro posted:

A lot of it is stylistic as well, this was just the style of the time. It's wrong to assume all artists are trying to draw a lifelike representation of a thing, you don't look at a Picasso painting and say 'lol he can't draw fuckin face! People don't look like that!'

That’s exactly what I say when I look at a Picasso.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's exactly what he was going for

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

necroid posted:

There’s a good Werner Herzog documentary on this place. Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Aramoro posted:

yeah of course I know it's not like humanity magically lost the ability to draw things at a certain point

but I still laugh when I see some of the goofy renditions of animals that have been drawn throughout the history of human art

Neurophonic posted:

There’s a good Werner Herzog documentary on this place. Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

thanks gonna check it out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i feel those cats, drat

also that dog looks straight out of looney tunes, i bet red hot riding hood is just off screen lol

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

What it lacks in realism it makes up for in nutsacks snuck into the frame

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

What it lacks in realism it makes up for in nutsacks snuck into the frame

so many cocks and balls basically everywhere

these guys were just trying really hard to invent dickbutt centuries ahead of time

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Most US breakfast tacos don't include beans. It's typically eggs, meat, and cheese.

But the best breakfast tacos include beans. Tacodeli’s beans, bacon, and avocado is substantially better than anything else on their menu.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Son of Rodney posted:

We're just assuming that's supposed to be a bear. For all we know that artist was trying to draw a rabbit.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I thought it was a pig.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

necroid posted:

but I still laugh when I see some of the goofy renditions of animals that have been drawn throughout the history of human art

You ain't lyin'

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

sweet geek swag posted:

We're just assuming that's supposed to be a bear. For all we know that artist was trying to draw a rabbit.

Yoshi Wins posted:

I thought it was a pig.

It's clearly a prehistoric ManBearPig

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phy posted:

You ain't lyin'

lol perfect

also nice job w the italics haha

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

flavor.flv posted:

That's exactly what he was going for

The original ironic millenial. :cripes:

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Saw this story today. Tyler was involved in an accident, breaking his C-4 vertebrae, leaving him paralyzed from the shoulders down. I think the tweet says all the rest.

https://twitter.com/t_wes44/status/1395439504182239232?s=21

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

necroid posted:

yeah of course I know it's not like humanity magically lost the ability to draw things at a certain point

thanks gonna check it out

Bookmarking in case I ever need a new catte

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That loving rules. Get em, Tylor!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

generic one posted:

Saw this story today. Tyler was involved in an accident, breaking his C-4 vertebrae, leaving him paralyzed from the shoulders down. I think the tweet says all the rest.

drat that kicks rear end

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

These look like those art restoration jobs that go wrong

necroid
May 14, 2009

elephants lol

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

necroid posted:

elephants lol

These artists have understood exactly what elephants are about without ever seeing one, I love all of these derpy trunkers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i like the second one all like "seriously, are you drawing me right now? today of all days, you draw me in a book, just when i just washed my hair? wtf man"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

generic one posted:

Incredible. This is absolutely #blessed

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From the North Wilts Herald, England, February 21, 1936