Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

verbal enema posted:

man am i glad i am not responsible for people's lives cuz

i don't know what that means

10 is 2 5's!! What the gently caress!!!

Imagine if instead of having a number system where we all counted to 10 before going back to 1, we all counted to 5 and all symbols past 6 didn't exist. Then the number 6 would look like 11. The number 34 would look like 114. The number 25 would look like 100. And so on. This is basically what Riven expects you to figure out, except with weird alien symbols instead of the ones that are known to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Who else got introduced to non-base-10 mathematics via hex editing to cheat in old videogames?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine if instead of having a number system where we all counted to 10 before going back to 1, we all counted to 5 and all symbols past 6 didn't exist. Then the number 6 would look like 11. The number 34 would look like 114. The number 25 would look like 100. And so on. This is basically what Riven expects you to figure out, except with weird alien symbols instead of the ones that are known to us.

ok 1/2 of this makes sense so i think im getting it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Lone Badger posted:

Who else got introduced to non-base-10 mathematics via hex editing to cheat in old videogames?

Had to get the money to make a dozen bases in xcom somewhere!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Lone Badger posted:

It's kinda funny, I learned about hexadecimal when I was self-learning about computers and coding as a kid, but my brain didn't make the leap to it being a generalized mathematical idea rather than some weird computer thing at the time. It was only later in math classes that I learned the general concept and retroactively went ...ohhhhhh...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

ok 1/2 of this makes sense so i think im getting it

Base 5 compared to base 10:

1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 3
4 = 4
10 = 5
11 = 6
12 = 7
13 = 8
14 = 9
20 = 10
21 = 11
22 = 12
23 = 13
24 = 14
30 = 15
31 = 16
32 = 17
33 = 18

Just pretend that you don't have all the digits that we usually have. You can still count as high as you like, you just have to resort to using more digits sooner.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Seems easier to just count the regular way.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Seems easier to just count the regular way.

Yeah i agree, but somehow people still insist on using base-10

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If we didn't have the anatomical misfortune of having only 5 fingers on each hand we probably would have settled on base-12, which is a lot more easily divisible and useful in computing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

verbal enema posted:

man am i glad i am not responsible for people's lives cuz

i don't know what that means

10 is 2 5's!! What the gently caress!!!

Base 10 means you use ten symbols before you have to add another digit, those symbols being 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, and then you roll over to 10.

Base 5 only has 0 1 2 3 4, then you get to 10.

Base 2 is binary, so just 0 1, then 10.

Base 16 (hexadecimal) is 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F, then 10.

These varying systems aren’t really all that useful for simple counting, normal base 10 works fine enough and is what we’re used to, but when it comes to multiplying and dividing then you get some interesting things going on. Math in base 2 for example can be pretty easily made into a machine and is why computers can handle it so efficiently, or how 1/3 in base 10 gives you infinitely repeating 0.33333 while it’s a nice clean 0.3 when you do it in base 9.

MATH!!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
drat im slightly smarter now thanks yall

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I will never acknowledge that odd numerical bases exist :colbert:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If we didn't have the anatomical misfortune of having only 5 fingers on each hand we probably would have settled on base-12, which is a lot more easily divisible and useful in computing.

Base-12 is flat superior to base-10, but base-16 is better for binary computers (worse for daily life).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what about base 1

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Figuring out the weird blob numbers in obduction made me feel like a super genius, and those are only base 4, and I have some background in computering, so I’m pretty sure riven would have broken me as a child

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This is one of my favorite mathematical concepts. So fundamental to even the most basic operations, yet not something you really think about until you start running into the other ways of doing it. You'd probably never think of it on your own, but once it's pointed out to you it's like hey, yeah, there's no reason why 10 has to mean one ten and zero ones, it could be one of anything and zero ones.

The reason why computers use base 2 (binary) is because at the most basic level, they are a series of switches/capacitors/whatever which can only be in one of two positions: on or off. Therefore, they can only perform numerical calculations using a number system where every number contains at most two numerals.

verbal enema posted:

what about base 1

That's just tally marks, basically. 1, 11, 111, 1111, 11111... At least, I think that's what it is.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 01:17 on May 21, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This might be the perfect place in time to ask: Why's hexadecimal used? Why not go ... quadroduodecimal?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

This might be the perfect place in time to ask: Why's hexadecimal used? Why not go ... quadroduodecimal?

Hex lets you represent a byte, the not-quite-most-basic unit of computer data, using 2 characters: 0 through FF. That's a nice balance of conciseness and legibility. You'd need 256 characters "digits" to get it down to just 1 character, and that's just not worth it.

I seem to recall reading once that trinary (i.e. using 3 digits) is some kind of optimum for balancing number of digits versus conciseness of numbers. I have no idea how you weight those two properties though.

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 01:29 on May 21, 2021

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah a single letter in hex represents a nibble (4 bits) which is super handy in old rear end byte-level protocols like MIDI.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Always remember, in Binary 1+1=10

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Atelier Lydie and Suelle: The soundtrack is slightly different for both of the two sisters.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My favorite way to explain bases is with donuts.

If you have 1 dozen donuts and 3 extra donuts, you have 15 donuts.

1 dozen 3 loose

1 3

So 13 in base 12 (dozens of donuts) is 15 in "normal numbers" (base 10).

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
As a general concept I like applying the teaching method to base-ten. You have zero through nine, and ten isn't a number on its own but just appending another digit -- the tens place. So each digit in a composite number like that is an order of magnitude greater than the previous, and this works for every base possible. Ones, tens, hundreds, thousands...twos, fours, eights, sixteens...threes, nines, twenty-sevens, eighty-ones...hah.

I dunno maybe I'm the weirdo.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ariong posted:

That's just tally marks, basically. 1, 11, 111, 1111, 11111... At least, I think that's what it is.

No, absolutely not, you fool, you idiot, you absolute clod!

It's all zeroes. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Don't summon base zero you fool *world erupts into flames*

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zero isn't a loving number. I'm tired of math people acting like it is. Hello I'd like zero apples

The gently caress is that poo poo

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You need to have zero apples in most places or you wouldn't be able to loving move

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gaius Marius posted:

Zero isn't a loving number. I'm tired of math people acting like it is. Hello I'd like zero apples

The gently caress is that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEimfudOW6U

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
To me, the best way to conceptualize base-5 is to remember tallies exist.

|||| ||| is 8 displayed in a simple base-5 system.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Dark Souls 2, while not as popular as the others, is still one of my favorites, and I just replayed it to 100% over the last month or so.

One of the neat things it does is based on NG+, where the most obvious changes are enemy health and damage being increased with each cycle, but a less noticeable thing is that some pickups get better in later cycles. A basic healing item might turn into a higher tier, same with an upgrade material, or it might cram in another, different, item, or ammo might go from 10 arrows/bolts to 30. Some Soul items are also boosted several tiers.

I also like how easy it is to change up your entire build. Sure it takes a rare item, but if your magic based build is being totally walled by a boss you are just a short trip away from being a physical bruiser, or vise versa. Also Hex builds are very easy to make flexible, since you already have most of the stats you need to use fire, magic or lightning instead, if an enemy is resistant to your preferred element.

Also Also after a certain point the game fairly showers you with upgrade items. After 2/3 of my NG++ run I had so many that I had to store a full stack so I could even pick up more, and I have ~35 of the top level upgrade mat after upgrading several things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even calling the Soul Vessels rare is Iffy you get a ton of them each go so you can really mess with your build if you want. Being able to farm tons of chunks in the Belfry was also super super dope

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the numbers in riven being base-5 at least have the excuse of it being a puzzle game. the card game in final fantasy 9 uses hexadecimal numbers for the card stats and never even communicates it to the player.

kinda feels like the devs realized the game was too random and finicky to be fun even if you know the mechanics and just figured gently caress it, anyone who plays it is just gonna savescum anyway, make it optional and call it a day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Figuring out the weird blob numbers in obduction made me feel like a super genius, and those are only base 4, and I have some background in computering, so I’m pretty sure riven would have broken me as a child

Yeah, that was pretty fun, especially the machine that would let you practice

I had an extra handicap there because I was in VR so using a pen and paper was a big pain in the rear end

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

Playing La Mulana and it struck me how satisfying it is to figure something out in a game yourself. I mean the player figuring something out, not the character's magic notebook getting updates with the solution to whatever problem is presented and an arrow pointing directly to the objective.

If you enjoyed that, I can strongly recommend getting hold of Outer Wilds, Return of the Obra Dinn, and The Witness. All three are heavily slanted towards that kind of experience.

Outer Wilds does have a murder wall that tracks things you've learned, but it never really tells you where you should go, just reminds you what you've learned and where.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Base 10 means you use ten symbols before you have to add another digit, those symbols being 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, and then you roll over to 10.

Base 5 only has 0 1 2 3 4, then you get to 10.

Base 2 is binary, so just 0 1, then 10.

Base 16 (hexadecimal) is 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F, then 10.

These varying systems aren’t really all that useful for simple counting, normal base 10 works fine enough and is what we’re used to, but when it comes to multiplying and dividing then you get some interesting things going on. Math in base 2 for example can be pretty easily made into a machine and is why computers can handle it so efficiently, or how 1/3 in base 10 gives you infinitely repeating 0.33333 while it’s a nice clean 0.3 when you do it in base 9.

MATH!!!

For some reason this is the post that made it properly click for me, the tally mark ones helped too. By comparison even though I can sort of intellectualise how the donuts example should work I still stared at it puzzled for a solid minute.

I'm always intrigued by how people parse and understand different things like this, wonder if having ADHD has some impact on how I process it - not sure why it would exactly

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Outer Wilds is absolutely top notch

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Does anyone have a link to that dungeon crawl stone soup LP where someone decided to eat all the purple mutation meat and basically became a god? At one point the thread title was "you'll never be as lucky as $username"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630027&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Outer Wilds is absolutely top notch

It's so drat good. Game of the generation material imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm really not into puzzle games but outer wilds pulled me in hard, it was really just excellent. I loved the spaceship and space mechanic, everything is absolutely tiny compared to you, which made flying around the solar system both quick and fun while still allowing entire planets to work as game mechanics or settings. Very cool.