Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Anyone on here playing Obsidian Prince? I was watching someone play it on Twitch and it looked pretty fun, if a little bit limited at this stage in terms of content available. One of the two creators (I believe it's a wife/husband combo who are the developers) was in chat and answering questions, and I liked the answers he was putting out. Very open and honest about release schedule and planned time in EA. He also took feedback from chat in terms of ways to improve the game or new potential mechanics to look into.

So I wanted to see if any goons had given it a whirl. I'm usually pretty cautious about trying EA games as don't want to burn out on an unfinished game, but have also had some great experiences like with Battle Brothers and Trial of Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Awesome! posted:

it took them 6 years to get saving and loading in?

The Catacomb Kids dev is currently juggling multiple projects. He's also been working for several years as part of Derek Yu and Friend's upcoming Action52like, UFO50.

I believe the collection will contain a few roguelites, but the UFO50 game Tyriq has been been in charge of most recently is Onion Driver, a top-down onion delivery game. It looks fun!

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 19, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/LightGenerous/status/1395086638917767171?s=19

bringin my returnal discussion here now

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Amorphous Abode posted:

The Catacomb Kids dev is currently juggling multiple projects. He's also been working for several years as part of Derek Yu and Friend's upcoming Action52like, UFO50.

I believe the collection will contain a few roguelites, but the UFO50 game Tyriq has been been in charge of most recently is Onion Driver, a top-down onion delivery game. It looks fun!
Does this mean UFO50 might actually come out? It’s been a very long time with no updates that I’ve seen, but I’m definitely hyped for it.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Needed something to scratch my RL itch and after reading about Rift Wizard I decided to give it a whirl.

Very very fun so far. My best was getting to Realm 16 off a Fireball / Annihilation build that spawned friendly bombs / imps respectively, but it just ran out of punch as enemies started getting way more life.

I've had some decent runs with Deathbolt and Icicle as main spells, but only realm 6-10. Are there any fun easy starting builds that anyone would recommend?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

PotatoManJack posted:

Needed something to scratch my RL itch and after reading about Rift Wizard I decided to give it a whirl.

Very very fun so far. My best was getting to Realm 16 off a Fireball / Annihilation build that spawned friendly bombs / imps respectively, but it just ran out of punch as enemies started getting way more life.

I've had some decent runs with Deathbolt and Icicle as main spells, but only realm 6-10. Are there any fun easy starting builds that anyone would recommend?

I have a lot of fun with the ghost fire build, the basic components are nightmare aura, fireball, and the skill ghostfire. Throw fireballs at anything in nightmare aura until you get ghosts, ghosts do fire damage, so whenever they hit an enemy that also took dark from nightmare aura that turn you get more ghost, and so on. Where you go from there I haven't decided, hungry dead would mean your ghosts would occasionally create more ghosts on their own, but I'm not sure how dependable that would be. And Dark+Fire immunities are paired together pretty often, so you want to branch out pretty early. If I ever learn to survive longer I was thinking I'd branch into poison, which synergizes well with both dark and more minions.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Finally won my first game of unexplored :toot:

I got the dragon slaying achievement, but not the one for exploring all levels. Do you have to uncover all corners of every map for that? according to the map of levels, it looks like i at least visited all of them.

come to think of it, i collected way more than 48 arrows and the archer achievement didn't unlock either

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Does anybody have any tips for rift wizard? I've been trying to play pretty conservatively, usually take one of the summons as my first skill and then split early sp between more spells and a decent upgrade for the summon, but i routinely get overwhelmed and smoked by floor 3.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Hooplah posted:

Finally won my first game of unexplored :toot:

I got the dragon slaying achievement, but not the one for exploring all levels. Do you have to uncover all corners of every map for that? according to the map of levels, it looks like i at least visited all of them.

come to think of it, i collected way more than 48 arrows and the archer achievement didn't unlock either

Speaking of Unexplored, Unexplored 2 is now out in early access! (on epic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOCdg4mXhwA

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
In case anyone is playing Getsu Fuma Den (? shout out if you are), I just discovered for the first time that after defeating any boss you can go directly back to your compound, keeping all your materials. Just keep going right past the gateways to the other worlds. Before that I could not figure out why the gently caress it was taking me absolutely forever to save up any resources despite picking tons of stuff up from chests. The progression is still super harsh, haven't actually upgraded anything yet out of the 4 options but at least now I know I can actually get decent amounts of resources to help me upgrade.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Harminoff posted:

Speaking of Unexplored, Unexplored 2 is now out in early access! (on epic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOCdg4mXhwA

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/unexplored-2

Also: big head up, because of the summer sale now you also get a renewable coupon for 10 bucks off, so it's only 8 bucks at the moment! Absolutely loved the first one, this seems different but still rad. A cool preview can be found on PC Gamer: Unexplored 2 is the most innovative adventure game I've played in years

Epic Store posted:

Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer's Legacy

Procedural roguelite RPG in a vast world
Unexplored 2 creates a vast, rich fantasy world for you to discover. It has a cool twist on permadeath: your character may die, but the world might persist. The game is an ambitious, procedural action-RPG without grind, xp, or gold. Instead the story is all about your choices and their consequences as history unfolds.
As the titular Wayfarer you take on the quest to destroy the Staff of Yendor, for which you’ll have to traverse your world. Along the way you’ll meet tribes, encounter magical creatures and explore ancient ruins to discover mythical weapons and historic items.

A word from our Game Director
“Unexplored 2 is an Early Access game; it is not yet finished. The game is playable from start to finish, but you should expect more content to be added at a regular pace. New items, new enemies, new side quests, new variations on the main quests and even new game modes will arrive in themed packages. The procedural nature of the game makes it easy to slip in all the new content naturally. Every time you are ready to start a new world there will be new things for you to discover.”
-- Joris Dormans, Game Director of Unexplored 2

When you die…
The game is challenging and you will die often. You may make a wrong choice, take on one too many creatures, or forget to stock up on food before traveling a desert. Whatever the reason, when your character dies, they’re gone. No autosaving or quickloading.
However, you can choose to continue your adventures with a new character in the same world, a few years later. Your new character will witness the result of the choices your previous adventurer made. You can leave items in a safe spot, ready for your next Wayfarer to pick up and use.

The world ends
You can try to fulfill your quest to destroy the Staff of Yendor with consecutive Wayfarers in the same world. However, when you die during your final mission, your world ends. Permanently.
So, make sure you are prepared well and know everything there is to know about the last and most dangerous part of your adventure.
When you fail, that world vanishes. The only thing left to do is to generate a whole new world with its own history, and begin the quest anew.

Key features
Radical content generation: Ludomotion's radical approach to content generation creates many layers of unique content, every time a new world is generated.
Generative storytelling: Though every Wayfarer's ultimate goal may be similar, every hero will have their own world, story, and encounters.
Systemic depth: The game features many systems and you will discover something new every time you play, even after hundreds of hours of gameplay.
Legacy system: Actions of your past heroes impact the fortunes of those that follow in their footsteps. Use your legacy wisely to give your successive adventurers greater hopes of completing their quest.
Permadeath in a persistent world: When your hero dies, they stay dead. But you can choose to return to the same world with a new Wayfarer. Or, if you prefer, begin a new adventure in a completely unexplored world.
Unique presentation: The worlds in Unexplored 2 are presented in a unique and beautiful art style, beyond what is conventionally expected from a generative game. A stylish lighting system sets the mood and adapts to the time of day and local weather conditions.
Orchestral adaptive soundtrack: Your adventure is accompanied by an orchestral, original soundtrack which reacts to the action and decisions you make as a player

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Sunless Skies just dropped on consoles, with some new overhauling update. What's the consensus on this sucker?

I remember hubbub years ago about it being sorta unfinished, and essentially being Sunless Seas with a new paint job. But that was years ago, and I like Seas fine enough. Hmm. Hmm. space...

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Samopsa posted:

Also: big head up, because of the summer sale now you also get a renewable coupon for 10 bucks off, so it's only 8 bucks at the moment! Absolutely loved the first one, this seems different but still rad. A cool preview can be found on PC Gamer: Unexplored 2 is the most innovative adventure game I've played in years
Ooh this looks cool!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"fail the last mission and your world blows up" sounds incredibly bad

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sloth Socks posted:

Sunless Skies just dropped on consoles, with some new overhauling update. What's the consensus on this sucker?

I remember hubbub years ago about it being sorta unfinished, and essentially being Sunless Seas with a new paint job. But that was years ago, and I like Seas fine enough. Hmm. Hmm. space...
Basically more Sunless Seas, with some of the chaff and grind cut out.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

victrix posted:

In most roguelikes, your world blows up every time you fail

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

victrix posted:

This was every mission in Into the Breach

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

pumpinglemma posted:

Does this mean UFO50 might actually come out? It’s been a very long time with no updates that I’ve seen, but I’m definitely hyped for it.

UFO50 is still in the works, yes. Tyriq Plummer streams his side of the development process every Tuesday, while the other 4 active devs on the project generally keep their UFO50 work private. It's not really surprising that UFO50 is years behind its projected release, the feature creep on creating 50 good games for one compilation would be catastrophic.

I do very much think it will be worth the wait, though. The developer streams have been very exciting to follow, with Tyriq hopping from unfinished game to unfinished game adding in polish and mechanics that take a game from something that sounds like a interesting idea to being something I want to play right now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

50 NES-style games. I would say the bar isn't very high but there's a pretty big gulf between good and bad NES games.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

TOOT BOOT posted:

50 NES-style games. I would say the bar isn't very high but there's a pretty big gulf between good and bad NES games.

Oh, c'mon, it's not like there were ever any infamously bad collections of 50+ games released for the NES.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I got the AWS Autocannon in Cogmind and I don't know how to keep this run fun :(

Do I just run headlong into every enemy group and hope they surprise me? I want someone to kill me. I tire of this. This carceral existence. I wish to tread the roads of mortality once more. My gun won't stop loving firing itself before I get to holler at dudes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Samopsa posted:

It sounds cool enough to buy for 8€. Done. I look forward to play it in one year or whatever, when it gets out of EA. lol

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Samopsa posted:

I hope this makes it way to Switch eventually. It's become my roguelike/lite machine, especially now that things are opening up again and this looks really cool!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Samopsa posted:

I liked the first one. Will definitely get this one after it's out of the double early access.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Update in full has already been posted in the Zorbus thread proper---but for a first update in some months, this one seems pretty solid in general for folks to gander anew:

https://zorbus.itch.io/zorbus/devlog/255744/release-47-may-2021

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I like the idea of the world staying persistent, it reminds me of something like Cataclysm where you can start a new character in the same world.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

interested in unexplored 2 but have never used epic and am not planning on it... will i need to use their special launcher to play/update the game? that's probably a dealbreaker

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That is how electronic storefronts work outside gog

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It's very early in development, no idea if it works, but someone has an open-source Epic store app: https://github.com/derrod/legendary

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Samopsa posted:

Huh, the sale price is showing up as like $22 for me now, was this a pricing error? Either way that's a fair deal for $12 with the coupon, I'll check it out.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Magitek posted:

In most roguelikes, your world blows up every time you fail

Making it the loss of a single run, versus the loss of the culminated effort of dozens? or so. That said I think this is rad.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Unexplored 2 is pretty loving cool. I really really like the TRPG-esque system where you "roll" for checks. It feels like they added a whole D&D layer on top of the already-excellent "classic roguelike in real time" translation the first game did, and it has actual graphics now too. If anyone's wondering about the extent of the Early Accessness of it, it seems the game is playable from beginning to end with limited character creation options. I'm sure some stuff in the middle will be added and fleshed out as well.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

after one million years tome has updated again wow!! it's pretty much mostly bug fixes, a really weird change to caldera/scourge pits/etc spawning that no one asked for i'm pretty sure, and "Reduce the rate at which rares and randbosses learn new talent trees" so hey arbitrary deaths because you didn't inspect every single monster might drop again. depending on how much of a reduction it is.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Some UE2 tips:

Only the destructible thorns cause damage when you walk in to them, you can slip by the actual interactable ones without fear
Parry doesn't always reduce damage to 0
Stuff spoils if you don't use it (food, consumables, etc) so keep an eye on those
Boars are loving dangerous

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Unless I really lost a thread on things within the last update or so all those months back in terms of class reworks, that's an Amazing sort of fix for Sand Breath.

Perhaps the new Japanese and Korean translation support-in-progress can serve as heralds to another era of more sustained dev momentum vs the more incidental bolts from the blue that have entrenched of late..

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Does UE2 have the same ability to pause easily into inventory for a pseudo-superhot experience?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Dawn of the Mexica with a v1.06 meaty update: Dreamworld

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1456630/view/3037093966860680596

quote:

A new deep branch has been added: The tolteca dreamworld of Tlatlauhqui Temictli, the sacred place of dreams that appear in red and bring us to the maternal womb.

Some of its features are:

- Two levels deep.
- 9 new enemy mobs. Meet the mayan aluxes!
- 5 new unique enemies (named and with special skills).
- 4 new monster spells.

Find the library of dreams and find what the tezcatlipoca cultists are looking for in the depths of the tolteca dreamworld!

Other changes in this update:

- Two uniques added to the Teonanacatl branch.
- Kick now spends a small amount of stamina (0.75)
- Kick now wakes up NPC victims if they were sleeping.
- Bug correction: Player made lava (fire magic) didn't generate heat.
- Bug correction: You could carry immobile NPCs to a different level through stairdancing.
- Bug correction: Pressing two keys at the same time could break the menus.

StarCrawlers Chimera has an updated Kickstarter demo now live prior to their actual KS come May 25:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1487560/view/3050604765758618802

quote:

We've got a fresh demo map that reveals some new enemies and new weapons, alongside a bunch of improvements and features requested by players after the 1st playtest. You ask, we deliver.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I started playing Vault of the Void recently and I know people knock it for being extremely dry and uninspired in terms of theme but the "play your cards to beat the enemies" part of the game is so god drat slick and fun. I fell out of love a bit with StS and this is exactly similar but different enough to scratch the same itch while being new and interesting.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

I started playing Vault of the Void recently and I know people knock it for being extremely dry and uninspired in terms of theme but the "play your cards to beat the enemies" part of the game is so god drat slick and fun. I fell out of love a bit with StS and this is exactly similar but different enough to scratch the same itch while being new and interesting.

I was the one knocking it for that.

The gameplay's fine, though I'm not a fan of how enemy damaged is handled. Namely it isn't, as far as I've seen, possible to stop damage by killing the enemies who are threatening the damage. Which is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I picked this one up and tried the tutorial and died to the first rat...twice. Not real thrilled about this.