Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Man, making you blow up a pristine SLDF installation is just the perfect gut-punch and a pretty excellent microcosm of the Inner Sphere's problems. Blowing a better life sky-high rather than let your enemies have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

raverrn posted:

Man, making you blow up a pristine SLDF installation is just the perfect gut-punch and a pretty excellent microcosm of the Inner Sphere's problems. Blowing a better life sky-high rather than let your enemies have it.
This is the society that needed a Geneva Convention before they stopped solving every disagreement by turbonuking planets into radioactive dustballs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Restraint is a foreign concept in BTech.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
As mentioned up thread, Battletech is very much a product of it's time, and that was a time when Mutually Assured Destruction was the sword of Damocles over everyone's head.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

There isn't one.

There's barely an edge use for the Bull Shark's thumper (you can use it to inconvenience light 'Mech swarms or take out all the objective buildings at once), and that's significantly stronger than the mortar.

Counterpoint: You can have a lot of fun with four mortars.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

girl dick energy posted:

This is the society that needed a Geneva Convention before they stopped solving every disagreement by turbonuking planets into radioactive dustballs.

And then the Star League threw out those treaties anyway

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

raverrn posted:

It is one of the reasons why, story-wise, I didn't want the SLDF tech to start making a reappearance in any meaningful way after the Helm core was found. Sure, gameplay-wise it makes sense 100 percent, you needed new types of mechs and new types of toys, or the players would get bored, same reason the tech kept advancing up to 3150 or whatever it is at now.

But thematically with how the Inner Sphere was, and how badly tech had regressed, it made a lot more sense that SLDF tech would barely be at the cusp of being reintegrated by a few select units. It had been constantly reinforced in our heads for years how little scientific know-how remained and the extreme backstabbing in relation to it, so the sudden swerve was a bit much. Again, I get why it was done, to keep people playing and to keep them buying books etc, and it was probably the right call given where the story was going later on. But it still sort of irks me.

It is why I (thematically) like the Dark Age stuff, just repurposed industrialmechs and whatever else you had on hand, even though the reasoning behind it was... not great.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

evilmiera posted:

It is why I (thematically) like the Dark Age stuff, just repurposed industrialmechs and whatever else you had on hand, even though the reasoning behind it was... not great.
Dare I ask?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mostly just the idea that the various Successor States would ever disarm for any reason.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
That's one of the great things about Battletech though. If you like the Dark Age stuff, you can just play in that era. BT has very distinct flavors for its different eras, allowing for themes that feel very different depending on what kind of game you want. Personally I'm most fond of the FedCom Civil War era, because my first BT experience was Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, and I like the 1960s-ish 'very old and very new technology jumbled together' feel of it. I've also got a campaign in my head that I may try and run at some point, that's set during the Amaris Civil War, because that gets touched on so rarely.

That's one of the weird parts of trying to follow BT as a 'story' too. Because it's more like a living history covering a thousand years. I don't even know what's going on at the end of the timeline anymore. The Republic of the Sphere stuff lost me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gothsheep posted:

I like the 1960s-ish 'very old and very new technology jumbled together' feel of it.

This is every era except 3025

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Defiance Industries posted:

This is every era except 3025

I agree, Battletech is great in a way for imposing such matters in a way that I think feels fairly organic given how ftl works in the btech universe.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I installed the game again due to this LP (and having PC that won't crash out regularly :v:).

Surprise SRM carriers from fog are still rude. Surprise SRM carries from fog after you've been NARCd are :suicide:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Surprise Inferno carriers that reinforce on top of you: also rude.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I only ran into that one once and blew it up before it could fire. Looking forward to even more bullshit

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Carrier tanks are both an "eh i'll one shot it" and a "OH GOD MY BUTT" at the same time, all depending on the range you are in when you find it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xarn posted:

I only ran into that one once and blew it up before it could fire. Looking forward to even more bullshit

The only time I lost a pilot on my last complete career run came when a lance spawned literally on top of it and cored it before I could even move. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
BattleTech: Restoration Campaign – Episode 11: Nice

Mission 62: Retribution (Battle, Commentary)

Rewards: 434,700 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 2 MAD-5A Marauder II parts, 1 Leg Mod++ (+15 DFA damage),

We’re gonna need to do some ‘Mech repairs before our next contract, Boss. Can’t go into combat like this! See me in the MechBay when you’re ready.
Sure, and while we’re at it…

Our next major contract is two jumps away, so we might as well take a travel contract on the way.

PTN’s note: This “random event” comes shortly after finishing the hydroponics bay. It’s a huge boon with a tiny price tag. +3 medical points is equivalent to having the Argo’s hospital fully upgraded, and +2 morale is pretty huge. It’s equivalent to a month of generous pay, which would cost us 985,050 c-bills at this stage of the game.

Power conduits are finished!
Time to finish fixing the engines!

PTN’s note: The shop had a +20 stability damage arm mod, which I threw in the Spider because of course. The Spider now does 90 stability damage when it performs a melee attack.

Mission 63: Territorial Claims (Destroy Base, Commentary)

Rewards: 367,430 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 ARC-2R Archer part, 2 CTF-1X Cataphract parts (‘Mech complete), 1 DRG-1N Dragon part (‘Mech complete), 1 Bulky Jammers (+2 hit defense, +1 injury resist)

We’ve got a few duplicate ‘Mechs in mothballs, sell the spare -C1 Catapult, -1N Dragon, -5SS Thunderbolt, and a bunch of trash weapons again.

Mission 64: Capturing Production (Capture Base, Commentary)

Rewards: 438,900 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 CDA-2A parts (‘Mech complete), 2 RGH-3A Roughneck Parts, 1 Armored CT Computer (+Called Shot, +Injury Resist), 1 RFL-3C Rifleman part

Mission 65: War Council (Cutscene)

Rewards: N/A
Noteworthy Salvage: N/A

Kamea... you've got much bigger things to worry about than Smithon. I won't mince words: your cause is very nearly lost.
With only a small fraction of their fleet, the Taurlans have you dramatically outgunned. Given the chance, the Iberia alone could break your army in two.
We fought against the Taurians on Artru. We know what we're up against, so let's talk about how we're going to win this.
Not through direct confrontation. If you let Ostergaard bait you into attacking him on Smithon, you will die—as will Lady Arano.
This isn't hyperbole, Kamea. You will die if you take the field against him. And your Restoration will perish with you.
What would you counsel me to do, then? Nothing?
Would you have me sit on my hands while a Taurian butcher murders the people I've sworn to protect?!

The alliance between the Taurians and the Directorate is tenuous—far more so than they would have you believe.
Protector Calderon knows what kind Of man your uncle is. We could turn allies into enemies if we play our cards right.
[Origin: Betrayed] Calderon is supposed to be a sharp guy. It doesn't take a genius to see that trusting a usurper is a dangerous move.
No, it doesn't. And even as we speak, my agents are digging for information that will open a rift between our enemies. For what it's worth, I am confident that they will find it.
But none of this will mean anything if you let Ostergaard goad you into a suicidal charge. So I beg you: ignore him. Stay away.
She can't do that, Lady Centrella. If you'd been here before we liberated this system... if you'd seen the things we've seen... you'd know better than to ask.
I appreciate your advice, Ana Maria. But were I to follow it, the Aurigan people would lose faith in me, and they'd be right to do so.
I owe it to them to be better than that. And so, I will fight... but not in the way that our enemies expect.
Tell me what you mean.
Ostergaard expects me to deploy my army against his forces on Smithon... to lead from the front, as I have in our battles with the Directorate. You've convinced me that this is a risk I cannot take. And so, if he expects me to come at him with a hammer, I will use a scalpel instead.
I trust that your company is up to the task, Five Aces?
My company—alone—against a Taurian assault force. It'll be an adventure, Lady Arano.
That it will. And I'll be guiding you on the comms every step of the way.
Oh, good. Micromanagement.
You have my answer, Ana Maria. I won't take the field myself, and I won't redirect my army... but I'll be damned if I let Ostergaard's troops slaughter my people without a fight.
Your mercenaries have been one of your key advantages in this war, Kamea. By doing this, you're putting them at grave risk... but if your heart is set on returning to Smithon, I am powerless to stop you.
Instead, I'll wish you good luck and take my leave—I'll be in touch when my agents know more. But please, Kamea... stay safe. I don't know if I can stabilize the Reach without you.
I won't let Ostergaard kill me, Ana Maria. I promise.

Mission 66: False Security (Assassination, Tonnage Restricted (60 tons), Commentary)

Rewards: 250,635 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 JM6-A JagerMech parts (‘Mech complete), 3 RGH-3A Roughneck parts (‘Mech complete), 1JVN-10F Javelin part, 1 HBK-4P Hunchback part

PTN’s note: This is the reason why the Roughneck was flagged SLDF, and why I was so interested in finding one early. Nine Double Heat Sinks, engine DHS, and the same energy hardpoints as the Grasshopper (albeit with one in a worse position, in the Roughneck’s head). It has 40 tons of usable space (not counting armor) compared to the Grasshopper’s 41, and the Roughneck probably still wins because of its engine double heat sinks. I’m going to stick with our Grasshopper because people wanted to see it, but if you’re lucky enough to get an RGH-3A early, use it! It’s good!
PTN’s note: For now, I’ll use it to make the Grasshopper better. If anyone wants to see it used, let me know and I can pull it out of storage.

Mission 67: Stubborn Surrender (Battle, Commentary)

Rewards: 88,000 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 2 CP-10-Z Cyclops parts, 3 NSR-9J Nightstar Parts (‘Mech complete), 1 CPLT-C1 Catapult part

PTN’s note: Glitch was very nearly killed by that Nightstar.

Travel contracts are going the wrong way, so let’s pop over to Bringdam and then Mechdur before we help Kamea.

Yar har, fiddle-de-dee, bein’ a pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want ‘cause a pirate is free!
Except when it’s payday.

Drive upgrades are done!
Upgrade the library. Let’s see if we can’t get the JumpShip crews to pay us a little to use our facilities.

Mission 68: A Favor to Regret (Battle, No Commentary)

Rewards: 461,160 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 BLR-1S BattleMaster parts (‘Mech complete), 1 HTM-27W Hatamoto-Ku part

The BLR-1S—
Is a bizarre duck. It’s like someone in the Lyran Commonwealth asked ‘How can we take a BattleMaster but make it terrible? Staple a few SRM-2s on it? Sure, sounds good to me.

Mission 69: Hostile Insertion (Battle, No Commentary)

Rewards: 353,850 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 ON1-K Orion parts ('Mech complete), 1 QKD-4G Quickdraw part

I’ve set a course to Mechdur, Commander. Engines ready. Confirm?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I knew taking the Marauder II whole was nearly impossible but I was hoping.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was clenching in fear every single time one of those turrets shot at Dekker. I was sure, sure that we were gonna see a side torso get blown off and cost you half your add-ons.

Edit: You know what would be cool to see? A quick run-down of the TL;DRs about your combat strategies and mech/character builds, all in one place. Not even per-mission, just in general. Rules of thumb, "always consider X", "this skill is a trap except if you X", etc. A lot of the time, you'll do something like jump into open ground even though there's terrain nearby, and then not even use Vigilance and you'll just accept the huge amounts of totally preventable damage without even wincing, and my tiny monkeybrain just doesn't understand. But you're thriving, and way better at this game than I could ever possibly be, so you're clearly doing something right.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 21, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Use the roughneck if you want IMO, personally I wanted the Grasshopper as a workaround a bug mech only rule for Dekker.

Also the challenge is to break the game, not to break the game with restrictions. Except for Dekker. (Every time I see the evade pips on Dekker, I think of Jackie Fisher and "Speed is armor" and well that made some nice explosions, but it was also due to some guilty party refusing to use the speed and getting in the range of guns that would not have been able to shoot at his ships.)

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

If it's been explained I apologize (just link the response), but is there a particular reason we're sticking with the Spider this long? Here I was sure we'd see a Phoenix Hawk or Firestarter as our evasion tanking backstabber.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

fennesz posted:

If it's been explained I apologize (just link the response), but is there a particular reason we're sticking with the Spider this long? Here I was sure we'd see a Phoenix Hawk or Firestarter as our evasion tanking backstabber.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962545&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post513308672

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OP gets bored easily and needs the headrush, he needs the danger to feel something, anything

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

girl dick energy posted:

I was clenching in fear every single time one of those turrets shot at Dekker. I was sure, sure that we were gonna see a side torso get blown off and cost you half your add-ons.

I got pretty lucky there (except not really). Turrets have awful "pilots." There are effectively four turrets: Gunnery 5, Gunnery 5, Gunnery 6, and Gunnery 7, and because of the way gunnery works that means they effectively have two Gunnery 4 (+10% base hit chance) and two Gunnery 6 (+15% base hit chance) gunners. And here's the other rub, even though there are turret pilots, I'm not convinced the game actually uses them.

I'm not going to get too heavily into it, but the TLDR is: evasion is an exponential increase in a 'Mech's ability to take damage and a light 'Mech with a skill 10 pilot effectively gets 3 evasion pips for free just for existing; the fact that I was definitely beyond their 'effective' range for most of the fight (long range is a huge penalty ToHit), and turrets being absolutely terrible shots, that wasn't as risky as it looked. Turrets are more dangerous to larger 'Mechs that eat evasion penalties, light 'Mechs are usually untouchable.

Dekker eating two PPC hits from a turret was a fluke (probably because of the attacker height advantage, which is a thing I always forget about). Yes, if I'd let them keep shooting they would have hit him again eventually (probably with a PPC, the AC/2 recoil penalty would've made sure those kept missing); but, and this is a rough estimate, with a straight-on shot any hit that did damage would have had a roughly (18(?) * 2 = 36%) chance to hit either the left or right torso, and they would've needed to do 27 or more damage to actually take the torso off (which eliminates the AC/2s again).

So even if Dekker had taken another hit the odds of it actually taking a torso off were acceptably low. Even with 0 evasion pips I'd have put the chance of that happening at, rough estimate, a 10% chance. I nearly always had more than enough evasion pips that the odds of the Spider taking significant damage were probably down to single digits. On top of that, even if I had gotten unlucky, I would've been out four moderately expensive Jump Jets (for which I bought plenty of replacements Just In Case) and four arm mods worth roughly 200k c-bills total. It would've been a setback, but not a monetary one.

Dekker was in far more danger of being punched than he was from those turrets. Light 'Mechs are really good in the endgame, especially if they're fast. Even if they're nigh-unusuable trash like the Spider! :haw:

quote:

Edit: You know what would be cool to see? A quick run-down of the TL;DRs about your combat strategies and mech/character builds, all in one place. Not even per-mission, just in general. Rules of thumb, "always consider X", "this skill is a trap except if you X", etc. A lot of the time, you'll do something like jump into open ground even though there's terrain nearby, and then not even use Vigilance and you'll just accept the huge amounts of totally preventable damage without even wincing, and my tiny monkeybrain just doesn't understand. But you're thriving, and way better at this game than I could ever possibly be, so you're clearly doing something right.

I'm hyper-aggressive (by choice, aggression is entertaining to watch); so I tend to do silly things that should backfire and get away with them because I know I can recover from nearly any mistake I do make. I'd say it's one part knowledge and two parts hubris but it until it stops working I'm going to keep making everyone sweat! :haw:

The knowledge is the hard part. I've been playing tabletop BattleTech for a long time, which helps immensely. I know which 'Mechs are a joke (spoilers: it's 3025, nearly all of them) and which 'Mechs are a real threat, and I can nearly always identify 'Mechs based solely on their tonnage and what they're shooting at me. I've also been playing the game long enough that I can predict the AI to some extent. I can also identify the presence of an ECM 'Mech based on the sound of its lancemates moving in and out of its ECM field. That all seems like a bunch of little things; but knowing what you're fighting is hugely important. It dictates how aggressive you can be and how likely you are to be surprised by something you didn't anticipate. To quote everyone's least favorite cartoon character: information is ammunition!

There's a lot that I'm not sure I could explain but if you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them! There are no 'trap' skills in this game, they're all good so long as you have a plan in mind when you take them.

That said, Kamea and her teammates have the worst possible skill combo in the game. Breaching Shot + Sensor Lock is awful. Every other potential skill combination is better. Even Breaching Shot + Surefooted would be great for our stupid gimmick Dragon! :haw:

Seraphic Neoman posted:

OP gets bored easily and needs the headrush, he needs the danger to feel something, anything

It's true!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 21, 2021

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Thank you! :tipshat:

I either forgot or skimmed over that section. It's so jarring seeing Dekker blasting around in his Spider with heavy and assault mechs in tow. I love it :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Light 'mechs (the good ones, at least) operate on sort-of a reverse bell curve. They're good in the early game and in the endgame but can be lackluster in between.

The Spider also has onnnneeee more trick up its "sleeve" that I have yet to reveal.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

I knew taking the Marauder II whole was nearly impossible but I was hoping.

He can take the marauder II whole, it just requires slapping it with +stability damage weapons every time he gets up.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Speaking of, my theory with that Marauder II was that it was actually piloted by a Clanner who had bid away every weapon accept the AC/5.

Or, you know, the AI bugged out. I think half the mechs in that mission didn't even take their turns, they just sat there getting walloped.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They were definitely taking actions, they were just taking stupid ones to counteract the ECM. The Rifleman was doing nothing but sensor lock, for example.

In hindsight the MadII probably had terrible hit chances after standing up and fired the only weapon it had with a to hit bonus.

As much of a liability as the ECM Cataphract is, it still does a good job making the AI wig out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 21, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thank you, that's actually a much more thorough answer than I was expecting, on both counts.

I guess the first question that comes to mind is whether my favorite strategy of "jumpy heavy/assault laserbrawlers with Sure Footing/Coolant Vent pilots" has any unexpected synergies or downsides. (Aside from "oh god he punched me in the rear end ow ow ow", which feels more like me just not respecting fast mechs enough and getting too greedy on the approach.)

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Spider also has onnnneeee more trick up its "sleeve" that I have yet to reveal.
Is it ricockulous DFA damage for a light mech?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speaking of Odd Duck mechs, are there any assault class ones with primarily short-range weapons that could be considered good at all?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Speaking of Odd Duck mechs, are there any assault class ones with primarily short-range weapons that could be considered good at all?

I'm interested to see what could potentially be done with some heavier, rarely used mechs too. We've gotten insanely good value out of the Dragon, I'm curious if the same could be done with the bad version of the Banshee, the Victor, etc.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I think there's a good melee-specced Banshee maybe. And I loved rolling around in the 3 SRM-6+AC/20 Atlas that served me well in many a MWO match.

EDIT: I doubt it was *good* compared to other builds, but it was funny, and that's what mattered to me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

fennesz posted:

I'm interested to see what could potentially be done with some heavier, rarely used mechs too. We've gotten insanely good value out of the Dragon, I'm curious if the same could be done with the bad version of the Banshee, the Victor, etc.

'Mechs are bad for two reasons: engine size, and hardpoints.

If a 'Mech is bad because of its engine size, it's usually perfectly serviceable in the early- to mid-game. The UrbanMech is awful because of its tiny engine, but it's an early-game godsend because it brawls well above its weight and demolishes half-armor light 'Mechs. The BattleMaster (even the "bad" one I got) makes a perfectly good medium laser or assault SRM bomber, they just lose in comparison to the Stalker and the Bull Shark. The Banshee -3M (the 'M' stands for Marik! :pseudo: ) is a reasonable replacement for the Grasshopper, the two are very comparable (the Grasshopper lasers slightly better, the Banshee punches harder). The only thing the Banshee -3M is really missing is initiative, which is solved by our SLDF Wargear, a Master Tactician pilot, or a Cyclops 10-Z. Being able to act before the OpForce is invaluable for limiting the amount of incoming fire you take.

If a 'Mech is bad because of its hardpoints, it's much less viable. Nobody uses the Jenner even though it's faster than the Firestarter and can more easily get evasion pips, because the Jenner doesn't have any support hardpoints. The Panther and Vindicator both fall into this category.

If a 'Mech is bad because of both its engine and its hardpoints it's a real lemon. We're talking your Dragons and your Assassins. Sometimes you can find a gimmick use for these, but not often--the only reason why the Dragon is usable was because I spent 1.5 million c-bills to put TSM in it. Of these 'Mechs, there are only two I consider completely unusable: the Banshee -3E, which has a huge engine and only two usable hardpoints (1 ballistic, 1 energy); and the CDA-2A Cicada, which is hands-down the worst 'Mech in the game.

Everything else is perfectly usable, if not necessarily endgame worthy; but if you get an early -3E Banshee from an Attack of the Titans mission the best possible way to use it is to sell it for money.

You can tell how bad the Cicada is because in its wiki entry it's still using a placeholder image of the Shadow Hawk and either nobody has ever noticed or nobody felt it was worthwhile to go back and fix it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 21, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can tell how bad the Cicada is because in its wiki entry it's still using a placeholder image of the Shadow Hawk and either nobody has ever noticed or nobody felt it was worthwhile to go back and fix it.
The wiki drags that poor Mech. :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you think that one's telling, the Banshee -3E is even harsher. Unlike the Cicada the -3E has a niche use (which is why it's only the second worst 'Mech in the game), but the Banshee -3M does everything it can do better.

I also disagree with the Wiki's assessment that the -3E can be a decent early game tank. Early game you are much better served by a 'Mech that can shoot and/or get itself behind cover than a 'Mech that can stand around eating fire. The best use of the -3E is to sell it and use the money to help buy something viable.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 21, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ah, I should have been more clear (I posted very late): I was asking about mechs on the tabletop.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

evilmiera posted:

Depending on what you classify as short range, then there's the Berserker- It only has a single PPC for long range firepower while the rest of the mech is devoted to being a melee powerhouse. Medium lasers, TSM, a hatchte, etc.

e: Also a flamer. Because why not.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Flamers and infernos are in the "enemy weapon" place where I don't like fighting them but have no desire to use them.

The flamer fuel limit seems odd. Would flamers without fuel limitation (or with an ammo count of ~20) be game breaking?