Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

remember all those articles (including in e.g. vox) about how this was all normal, prisoners die all the time, and the fact that people cared so much about epstein dying showed how little they care/know about prison conditions more broadly?

Sandra Bland, much like Jeffrey Epstein, was just so sad about the poor conditions in her jail that she was driven to suicide

So tragic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this is the first one. for the second one William Barr personally reviewed the footage and it was all on the up so we don't need to see it

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I thought the security camera magically stopped working

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wow what an unfortunate series of coincidences

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

wow what an unfortunate series of coincidences

Ernest Works At The MCC

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Mr Bean lost the footage

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
love spending millions on surveillance only to have it mysteriously fail 50-60% of the time its needed to prevent the exact thing it exists for

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It's almost like the federal apparatus is completely 100% unsalvageable and a good majority of individual state apparatus are headed that way if not already there.

Like i don't feel like it's unreasonable to say, "we need to throw the whole thing out" is the only concievable moral option.

When Alaric sacked Rome, he did it to a similarly mollified dysfunctional state that had levelled incredible cruelty upon his people, so it's really a matter of time before debts accrued come due for us similarly.

Im on the fence about whether I want it to happen in my lifetime

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChalicothereX/status/1395236068027342851?s=20

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I'll be sitting at my desk with a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die by the end of the night."

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ah you know anti tank rockets, you can pick those up at tescos now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

:thunk:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Brabant lives, baby

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Delta-Wye posted:

I'll be sitting at my desk with a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die by the end of the night."

seems like a real catch 22

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

The Bandit posted:

seems like a real catch 22

I recall something about a Manifesto?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Lil Nas X just dropped a new song and its blowing up, quick, fire up the weird culture bots!

god i'd love to know who wrote this and green lit this, who pays them, what are their org meetings like, i have so many questions :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gh0stpinballa posted:

Brabant lives, baby

DOMESTIC ORIGINAL GLADIO!!!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

this is the kind of gladio recognition I can get behind

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

smarxist posted:

Lil Nas X just dropped a new song and its blowing up, quick, fire up the weird culture bots!

god i'd love to know who wrote this and green lit this, who pays them, what are their org meetings like, i have so many questions :allears:

Compromising phones to loop play songs on Spotify has been a rap game grift for a while now. I'm not surprised they are using Twitter bots too

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

So bitcoin is still dumb as poo poo. Speaking of which I keep reading a rumor about Ghislane Maxwell having a fortune in bitcoin and I'm on the fence to whether I actually believe it.

On the one hand, Epstein seemed like such a dumbass that I cant see him getting involved with anything technical.

On the other hand, he worked on wall street and Ghislaine was obviously his handler. I've heard that the NSA was the author of some aspects of Bitcoin's technology, and if that were the case it might track that the wall street people involved in sex trafficking might take interest in it early and thus have an interest in seeing that it expands to the carbon-belching world-devourer that it is today.

But I don't take a lot of interest in culture of bitcoin, as clowns are only funny to me for so long, but maybe someone with more knowledge of shitcoins has more insight.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

remember all those articles (including in e.g. vox) about how this was all normal, prisoners die all the time, and the fact that people cared so much about epstein dying showed how little they care/know about prison conditions more broadly?
you can click the ? on my name i found like a dozen different newspapers comparing epstein to sandra bland by just typing into google search lmao

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

So bitcoin is still dumb as poo poo. Speaking of which I keep reading a rumor about Ghislane Maxwell having a fortune in bitcoin and I'm on the fence to whether I actually believe it.

On the one hand, Epstein seemed like such a dumbass that I cant see him getting involved with anything technical.

On the other hand, he worked on wall street and Ghislaine was obviously his handler. I've heard that the NSA was the author of some aspects of Bitcoin's technology, and if that were the case it might track that the wall street people involved in sex trafficking might take interest in it early and thus have an interest in seeing that it expands to the carbon-belching world-devourer that it is today.

But I don't take a lot of interest in culture of bitcoin, as clowns are only funny to me for so long, but maybe someone with more knowledge of shitcoins has more insight.

I dunno about that NSA connection unless it is more specific than generic crypto*, but spies like the idea of anonymous (or so people said/say...) money more than the average person and probably were early adopters. If it was an actual funded program by some gov group they probably have a ton of coins. NSA could apply a shitload of hardware if they wanted to.

* I'd absolutely believe NSA created BC but I haven't really seen any evidence beyond they are good at crypto. Would love to see anything people have though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Today I learned that Jeff bezos grandfather founded DARPA

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Goddamnit.

Why am I not surprised? It's really amazing how stacked this entire system is.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

the connection between Epstein and Bitcoin is about the MIT Digital Currency initiative, which incorporated some of the bitcoin developers in 2015 (https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-core-developers-join-mit-digital-currency-initiative) and has made regularly attempts to raise millions to invest into establishing bitcoin's stability (https://www.coindesk.com/mits-digital-currency-initiative-bitcoin).

The Digital Currency Initiative is wholly housed in MIT's Media Lab, a research group Epstein secured millions of dollars in funding for including directly giving money to Juichi Ito, the director throughout the 2010s until the Epstein funds, whose source Ito actively hid from the public and MIT employees, became public and forced Ito to quit.

Now, you are also correct about the potential NSA origins of bitcoin. A group of cryptologists from the NSA published an essay in the American Law Review about the concept and creation of a cryptocurrency in 1997 (https://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/aulr/vol46/iss4/6/). But, more suspiciously, this NSA whitepaper was first drafted and shared a year earlier, but only on an MIT mailing list (http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.805/articles/money/nsamint/nsamint.htm), so there's a pretty straight through line that could connect MIT and the NSA on crypto.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Jose posted:

Sure, why not?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Jose posted:

motherfucker.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

cagliostr0 posted:

Compromising phones to loop play songs on Spotify has been a rap game grift for a while now. I'm not surprised they are using Twitter bots too

the tens of organic plays my spotify songs get monthly bring me more joy than all the fake bot plays ever could, I suppose

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol didn't bezos briefly try to roll out the "lone genius in his garage" mythos a few years back

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mola Yam posted:

lol didn't bezos briefly try to roll out the "lone genius in his garage" mythos a few years back

quote:

Jeff spent summers working at his maternal grandfather's ranch in Cotulla, Texas, fixing windmills, castrating cattle, laying pipes, and repairing pumps. Lawrence Preston "Pop" Gise had held jobs that a young boy couldn't help but find cool. Gise worked on space technology and missile defense systems at Darpa in the late 1950s; in 1964, Congress appointed him manager of the Atomic Energy Commission's Albuquerque operations office, where he supervised 26,000 employees in the AEC's western region, including the Sandia, Los Alamos, and Lawrence Livermore laboratories. He retired to his southwest Texas spread in 1968, and he doted on Jeff from the time his grandson was an infant. "Mr. Gise was a towering figure in Jeff's life," says Weinstein.

His grandfather sparked and indulged Jeff's fascination with educational games and toys, assisting him with the Heathkits and the other paraphernalia he constantly hauled home to the family garage. (Picture the scattered components of a robot; an open umbrella spine clad in aluminum foil for a solar cooking experiment; an ancient Hoover vacuum cleaner being transformed into a primitive hovercraft.)

Jackie Bezos's challenge as a parent was to stay a step ahead of, or at least next to, her prodigy. "I think single-handedly we kept many Radio Shacks in business," she jokes. During his late grade school years, Jeff became fixated on a device called an Infinity Cube, which uses a set of motorized mirrors to allow one to stare into "infinity." But at $20 it was too expensive to buy, she told him. Jeff figured out that the pieces of the cube could be bought cheaply, so he did - and built it himself. "The way the world is, you know, someone could tell you to press the Button," he said at the time. "You have to be able to think ... for yourself."

The story of Bezos and the Infinity Cube is documented in Turning on Bright Minds: A Parent Looks at Gifted Education in Texas. Written by Julie Ray and published locally in the Houston area in 1977 - and, incidentally, not available via Amazon.com - the book follows 12-year-old Jeff (renamed Tim) through a typical day in the Vanguard program at Houston's River Oaks Elementary School, a magnet school that was part of a voluntary integration effort in the city's public school system. Jeff endured a 40-mile round-trip commute each day to attend. The author describes him as "friendly but serious," even "courtly," and possessed of "general intellectual excellence," though, according to teachers, "not particularly gifted in leadership."

(Wired, 1999)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
psst

kid

gimme $20 and i'll let you stare into infinity

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

drat that book ain't easy to find

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

nut
Jul 30, 2019

thank god there are so many programs to find and empower these gifted children

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

drake no: mind control drugs
drake yes: mind control theory

nut
Jul 30, 2019

On my sensory deprivation grind and hadn't heard of this one before. Straight outta Presidio (a couple decades early for what the thread cares about)

The rest of the section on the next page just goes on to mention that Myers and Smith continued to work on sensory deprivation under US Naval Research.

The "book-length" report is publicly available as a technical report (https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/AD0636478), but I don't think you'll find much in there that would surprise you. I'd be more interested in the cited Donald Hebb work from Canada that remains secret.

HumRRO was founded at George Washington University on military money and, under increasing pressure from students, had to become "independent". The exact same pattern of pseudo-independency can be seen in other academic institutions like the Stanford Research Institute and Stanford Aerosol Lab and whatever that military aerospace research centre was called (I totally forget) associated with Columbia where Tim McVeigh worked as security for a while.

According to this Mother Jones story:

David Goodman posted:

The organization is intimately connected with the APA [American Psychological Association]: The chairman of HumRRO’s board is James McHugh Jr., who has served as senior counsel to the APA; vice chair Charles McKay is the APA’s chief financial officer; and HumRRO vice president Bill Strickland is past president of the APA’s division of military psychology and has been a vocal opponent of barring psychologists from military detention centers.

I posted about it forever ago, but the APA has been undergoing a constant struggle where most of its members want to remove support for "operational psychologists" who work for the military and were (and continue to be) involved in torture at Gitmo and other black sites (through confirmed DoD and suspected CIA links). If I remember correctly, even though APA members voted and ratified a referendum barring such work, leadership reworded some of the legislation to defang it. HumRRO appears to play a pretty direct role in maintaining this military support and legitimization through APA leadership.

Anyways, for an lol here is what HumRRO's website looks like:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there any deeper rabbit hole to the Philadelphia Experiment?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1395887790412423172

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1395890808872738817?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior